Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 4,905 reviews matching the search
Management was bad but associates were friendly.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day had two rushes of people coming through and management barely helped us out with making food or phones ringing.
I learned to trust teammates but also work independently.
Management was very unprofessional and not helpful as in wanting to pursue higher degrees in the business.
The culture of Panera Bread was very hectic but also rewarding as it taught me how to work at a fast pace.
The hardest part for me was staying late hours during college but I was willing to do this.
The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and I got along and worked together during the hardest parts of the day.
Pros
60% discount on food when we worked, made lifelong friends, and taught me a good work ethic.
Cons
No breaks and long hours.
I did not enjoy, for the most part
Baker Helper/ Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2017
A typical workday consisted of pulling out food for the next day's bake, assisting the night baker, and washing dishes. I learned to clean dishes and maintain my work space. The management wasn't the best. For the most part they seemed fairly new at their jobs or just extremely busy to the point, however, when I could get a hold of them, they where quite helpful and kind. The workplace culture is quite serious, most night bakers came straight from culinary school, honestly, a bit of dedication that I find inspiring. The hardest part of my job (as it was my first real job) was managing my work duties and the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking the baguettes out of the oven.
Pros
Health benefits, better pay
Cons
Horrible training (as in poor quality)
Intense place to work at times
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 3, 2017
Working for Panera proved to be tasking more often then not at the particular location I worked. the management team failed to come together to build on consistency to ensure the staff was properly trained, policies and procedures were adhered to by all team members, including management team. This proved to be quite challenging at times and created dislike for going to work at this location When I voiced my concerns to the Area Development Manager, I felt as though my concerns had not been fully addressed and in fact dismissed because no positive results came of it. Although I really do like the company and if the opportunity were to present itself I would gladly consider employment with Panera Bread again, this particular management team at this location did not make me feel as though I was a part of the team.
Pros
Conpensation, benefits
Cons
Work/life balance(GM worked mostly early mornings and Monday -Friday)
quality company with
GM (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2017
A typical day consisted of quality checks, and constantly checking on the many different areas of production to make sure of quick and properly made products. Food was verified and went out to the guest, I learned how to balance many different systems and make sure we were producing efficiently and properly. The management was full of quality people and with ample opportunity to develop and seek out new talent. The culture was one of embracing change. The hardest part of the job was making sure we produced quality food in a quick and proper manner. The best part of the job was our guest and our team members.
Pros
innovation, quality product
Cons
compensation
Productive and fast-paced restaurant
Production Line Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 23, 2016
Panera is usually understaffed most days; employees often find themselves having to run the cafe due to lack of management. There are usually 3-4 managers on duty during the days, usually 2 of which are stuck doing paperwork all day rather than working on the line. Fellow co-workers seem to always be close by whenever needed and willing to help. Hardest part of the job is closing down the cafe, making sure everything is spotless and ready to go for the next day; having so many tasks to do without an extra helping hand. The most enjoyable part of the job is having such close relationships with everyone you work with as well as all of the customers
Pros
friendly/positive environment, decent benefits/discounts, flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of staff after lunch hours, managers lack initiative
Hostile work enviroment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 3, 2017
I left Panera bread because of the lack of communication and management, management would "walk all over you." Pretty much just use you.

I dealt with long lines of hungry people at times I would not get help ringing them up.

Working with some co workers it was nothing but drama, I worked my hardest every single day.

I came in early when asked and left late at times not because I wanted too but because I noticed some co workers needed help.
I was offered a shift supervisor position with NO raise and that is why I quit and went to the Holiday Inn,

Overall I did not like working there.
Pros
Free food & health care
Cons
no raises
Fast-Paced, Low Pay, (Hourly Retail/Fast Food)
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  North Port, FLOctober 29, 2016
Working for Panera Bread is about what you would expect from a "Fast-Food" environment. It, however, is miles ahead of McDonalds, Burger King--etc. The staff are usually* friendly, management is usually* quite good, the food is good, the pay is minimum wage (or slightly higher), they hire minors >=16, Fairly good Part-Time Hours, a tendency to work Full-Timers over 41 hours, and in a clean environment.

Since I was in High-School at the time, I personally only worked the weekends--or late nights, and I did not get many hours.

A good High-Schooler job, or just graduated job--or college (part time) addition.
Pros
65% Discount on a daily meal, access to a list of benefits (from Phone service discounts to Insurance), and access to special "Staff Money" (Basically a 50% discount anytime, at any store.)
Cons
Low pay, Hard (for minors) to advance, Rare Raises (even for full-timers), Tedious management habits.
Great place to work!!
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALOctober 13, 2016
A great place to work, great benefits, and very friendly and helpful management team. Catering is usually run by only the Catering Coordinator its like your own business with in a business, so you have to be willing to work hard and keep your clients happy!! Mon-Fri work week is typical unless you occasionally have a large order on the weekend.... but you make an hourly pay, with tips and mileage reimbursement for your personal vehicle. I was a coordinator for years and loved it!! I have since advanced and continue to love Panera, it's the best company I have ever worked for, they take care of their employees very well!!
Pros
Free lunch, Tips, Mon-Fri 5-1 or 6-2, great benefits, awesome management team.
Cons
Alot of miles on your personal vehical, demanding time crunches!!
For the Individual
Assistant Baker (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILOctober 1, 2016
Baking is less of traditional baking and more of shaping, proofing, and getting stuff out of the freezer to thaw.

It's a good job for those without experience and wanting to start getting baking experience.

Management was great, I was offered full-time baker training and $2 raise within a month. I'm searching for something more to my college degree though. If you're good you'll get the same offer.

Everything is baked every night by 1-3 bakers, so must work well on your own and be good at multitasking.

Most Chicago Paneras are owned by HAMRA company, so could be different for those in other locations. HAMRA itself seems like a morally good company that wants advancement from within.
Pros
Working alone, advancement
Cons
Do the same exact thing every night
Hope other jobs aren't this bad
Certified Trainer, Associate (Former Employee) –  Broadview Hts, OHSeptember 26, 2016
I worked at a Panera at a turnpike plaza, and it was pretty great the first year, and then the management at my store change. The general manager was absolutely terrible. I worked there almost 3 years, and never really advanced past becoming a certified trainer, which I never got my raise for. It's a pretty racist and sexist company, where all the upper management are pretty terrible people, and rumored drunks. Which is probably the only way to sanely make it through a work experience there. I enjoyed some of my coworkers, who were great and completely unrecognized. Hard work was criticized, and rule breaking and threatening to quit got you a raise. I would not recommend a job there, unless you are truly desperate, and even then.
Pros
50% discount for associates, and free meals for managers
Cons
understaffed, criticized, sometimes go without a break, often forced to stay late
Decent entry level job but poor advancement and long term opportunities
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 17, 2016
Panera is a good first job for high school and college aged individuals but over time the time becomes increasing frustrating due to constantly having new staff members and managers. Turnover rate is extremely high and general management and district management are often times not on the same page. Difficult to get raises and many of the managers treat staff very poorly.
Pros
Good coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
no job advancement opportunities, poor management, rude customers.
Stressful, short staffed, high turn over
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 8, 2017
I love working for a company that has clean products and I love my team but upper management can be inconsistent and sometimes there is a huge lack of communication. My store is constantly understaffed and I don't get a high applicant flow so good help is hard to come by. The customer base is more draining then any other restaurant job I've ever had. I was not trained properly either. I was two weeks into my training before I got "fast tracked" to my location so at times it is hard to follow policies when I was never told proper procedure which is bad for moral, and hurts business as well. Lastly we are always running out of product because food cost is so restrictive and we are supposed to run out of product by the time the truck comes which I think is a poor policy since we are always out of something.
Pros
benefits and decent pay plus bonus potential
Cons
STRESSFUL, lacked proper training
Do not work here
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 19, 2016
This company hires management that will not help you, as well as employees who are incapable and refuse to do any sort of actual work. The compensation is sub par and the benefits are a joke. They do not take care of their employees and don't care about the ones who have been there for long periods of time. They are more concerned with hiring new people and making their cafes look as if they are competitive and somewhere special, when in reality they are nothing special. If you want to be respected and actually rewarded for working hard, do NOT work here.
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, poor benefits, poor company
dependable on your cafe but your work crew feels like family
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, RIMarch 14, 2017
Which cafe you work at depends on how your typical day goes and your experience. Some cafes do crazy business so you'd always be moving and preparing food. I've also noticed that some cafes are more laid back than others. The cafe i work at tries to make us feel like family. We'll do things for each other or sometimes our bosses will buy us appreciation gifts. They hold meeting every couple of months to keep us up to date with new products and to give us recognitions. The recognitions can range from how many years you've been there to being the associate of the year or quarter. They also hold events for associates that want to participate. Some examples are The Panera Bread Olympics or the 5K walk/run for children.
Pros
discount on meals, Free meals if you train someone that day, Work with your schedule for the most part
Cons
pay isn't too great and you'll usually only get a few cents as a raise
Great starter job that teaches you a lot of basic skills needed to succeed in each career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day at Panera included many job shifts from each station in a very fast paced restaurant. I learned so much at Panera from arduous chores to organizational office skills. Management was as to be expected, stern but effective. The workplace culture was quick and always changing, always room for improvement just a little slow on getting in reviews as they should be. Also training to move up was slower than it should have been. The hardest part of the job was the difficult, time consuming jobs that had to be completed while still making sure the line is never more than one person long. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting learn something new everyday and getting to build relationships with the regular customers.
Pros
Half off Panera food
Cons
Tight expensive uniforms, Night hours required, working with poor attitude younger co workers
Not worth the effort
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 21, 2017
At the Tippecanoe Mall location, the effort wasn't worth the stress. Being a student, I found it very hard to work and get to class because the management ignored my schedule and had me working over the time I had agreed to upon hire. They were often rude and didn't really praise you for going the extra mile for the customer, even though that's what the Panera board always preached.
Pros
discounted food
Good First Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 19, 2017
I loved working here as a first job. You get to take home free food and you get a really good discount on the clock. They work you like a dog though. Especially if you are on dining room/dishes. I loved all my managers but it just got tiring after not getting promoted after 3 years and getting very small raises.
Pros
free food, good managers, nice co workers
Cons
long hours, cleaning duties are messy
Great honest place to work
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLMarch 18, 2017
Benefits are okay for entry level. Hard and very time consuming trying to move up from within the company. While they do promote within it takes time to work through. Competitive and benefits. Management was always really nice, listens and tries to assist as best they can in personal concerns. Each location is like a family.
Managers Immature
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJFebruary 1, 2017
After working here I have noticed the business does not care about their employees at all. Managers are nasty and spiteful, love to cause unnecessary drama. Hire terrible employees, talk down on their work ethic but do not fire them to hire better people to bring up the quality of the restraunt. Gives decent raises to those who have worked there for a shorter amount of time than those who have worked years. AWFUL place to work do not recommend whatsoever, glad I quit when I did!
Pros
always correct amount in paychecks
Cons
Horrible sucky place to work for..your just a number not a person
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2017
This place offers no benefits. Takes forever to get a raise. A place strictly for those in high school. Management sucks. The only positive thing is that there are no fryers to have to deal with and they offer clean food...that's it! The pay sucks!
Pros
No grease to deal with
Cons
Immature employees which includes management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.