Panera Bread Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,490 reviews matching the search
Panera Bread- Decent
Cashier/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 17, 2016
It is a great place to work at for your first job or as an 'in between' job. Depending on the location, management and employees of the Panera it can be very demanding or very easy. A typical day is like any other fast food chain with some days being busier than others. The hardest part of the job is being in competition for receiving more hours. Panera Bread is a career to many and to some just a part time job which leaves little room for shift flexibility in sharing hours with everyone.
Pros
60% off meals while at work
Cons
Management, Hours, PTO
Terrible place to work
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  CTApril 17, 2016
I currently work here and I HATE it. Terrible lunch and dinner rushes, high turnover rates for line associates, and management does not take care of you. My taxes will be late this year due to management not helping me with online log in and providing resources for me. No sick or vacation time, and if you can't find coverage, you are not allowed to call out no matter how sick you are, and that includes vomiting! And the pay is HORRIBLE! Their needs come first, and you will always come last. I can't wait to find a better job!
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Everything else!
Job requirements
Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 7, 2016
I was first trained as a cashier and then did some back of the house work. During the staff meeting, we were expected to know what was on the menu by heart. I was not trained in all aspects of the restaurant as far as preparing the soups (premade) and the sandwiches or salads so I was unfamiliar with what was in the product. They would change the schedule and expect you to know the changes as in to go to the store on a daily basis and check your schedule.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
management
Great coworkers, bad management.
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYApril 21, 2016
I loved working at Panera. Great pay, great people (mostly), great environment. Easily top 3 jobs I've ever had. Advancement is super quick if you can keep up and learn FAST. Worked a solid 35-40 hours a week(overtime if they needed it). The only downside I had was the management at my specific café. When you're forced to do your general managers job for her, it gets old quick. She'd use you up, and toss you out. Made all kinds of false allegations. So I left. Long story short, if you have a good management team, it's a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Food discount, great coworkers, good pay, advancement opportunities
Cons
Management, rude customers
Panera Bread
Cashier/ Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 4, 2016
This job is recommended as a first job for High School Students who are wanting experience and learning what the job world is like. You get discounts as being an employee of Panera bread. Also, you learn how to work different job settings such as being an Barista, Cashier, Line etc. It's a fun job for someone who needs experience. You learn a lot of stuff while working for this company and it's a great way to get out and give out great customer service!
Pros
discounted meals, easy to learn things
Cons
short breaks
Not substantial room for growth
Associate (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMarch 28, 2016
Although I was not planning on staying with Panera Bread for my career I expected at least a small raise for all the areas in which I was trained along with the time period in which I worked there. In the time I spent at Panera my pay only increased when minimum wage went up and when I confronted management about receiving a small raise they said they would talk with each other and get back to me. The meeting between management about my pay increase never occurred.
Pros
Management was nice
Cons
Not substantial room for growth
Fun place to work but can be frantic
Associate (Former Employee) –  Succasunna, NJMarch 31, 2016
My coworkers were mostly friendly and willing to help. Expectations for associates are high but certainly doable, and actually really helped to improve my time management and multitasking abilities. I also gained experience with cashiering, making different kinds of coffee drinks and smoothies, and how to maintain a positive and welcoming atmosphere. Most days I would work a 5 to 8 hour shift with a half hour break for lunch. The best part about this job was working barista - no heavy lifting and a lot of fun, even when the place gets busy.
Pros
Employee discount for food, free leftover bakery stuff
Cons
Half hour break regardless of shift length
It's a good company to work for.
Baker, Baker Trainer, Baker Management (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2016
I would show up to any particular cafe that needed my assistance and would assist the employees or would complete the bake myself. I would bake the bagels, sweets (cookies, muffins, pastries, etc.), sourdough, and focaccia and ciabatta. I would also have to maintain a clean environment and ensure that I set the next person, who was baking there, that they were restocked with all new product and nothing was missing. At the end of each shift I would clean my work area, wash any dishes that I dirtied that day, and sweep and mop.
Pros
Good pay, 40+ hours
Cons
Everyone has different standards on how to the job is done
Enjoyed walking in and working everyday.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 11, 2016
I came in with a good attitude and left with a good attitude. Most people at restaurants from what I have learned is that a lot of people do not. Work hard coming early and leaving late. I learned how to be dependable, wake up earlier and do mundane tasks like organizing even though I was not very good at it, at the time. The staff was the best part about me being and staying there. The hardest part about being in Panera bread and any other restaurant that I have worked in is that I have a hard time staying clean. I get a little too into my work and I move too fast. I enjoyed doing a lot of work and picking up the slack. It eels good to be a good worker. I especially love being competitive.
Not fun
PANERA CUSTOMER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  East Hanover, NJApril 12, 2016
Hours are limited, and rush hour is terrible. Dining room is especially hard because only one person is assigned to dining room (cleaning tables, cleaning bathrooms, restocking everything, brewing coffee, cleaning up plates and trash customers leave on the table, helping out table runners) during rush hour. Managers don't give breaks easily because it's usually understaffed during rush hour.
Pros
Food discount, experience
Cons
Limited breaks or no breaks, understaffed, hard to find out schedule, too much theft between employees, not a lot of opportunity to move to different positions
Enjoyable work place with great people
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLApril 15, 2016
The mornings are usually good at Panera, they could get kind of slow. During the lunch rush, it might get a little crazy, but as a team we pull though. The hardest part of the job is to know what to say to customers in certain situations. I know they are tired of hearing " I apologize for the inconvenience", so you have to try to say something else that makes them feel like you really do care. I've learned that at Panera your staff and your regular customers are like your family and at the end of the day, it is worth it to see that your team does a great job and makes you proud.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Grumpy Customers
Panera Bread Workday
Line associate (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDApril 20, 2016
Poor scheduling leaves many of the workers by themselves allowing only minimal production, and causing angry customers in the mean time. I've also learned that i could never get a handle on things because things are always changing so we have to be flexible. Some co- workers can be frustrating seeing how others have to pick up the slack for them. I believe their isn't any hard part of a job. Every situation should challenge us in a different way. The most enjoyable part is knowing that we've done a good job.
Pros
Discounted food, friendly working environment, and fast paced
Cons
Poor Scheduling
fun workplace with respectable management
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMarch 22, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy my job at Panera Bread. However, the food industry is not something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. A typical day at work includes activities such as: food preparation (making tea, coffee, sandwiches, salads, soups, pastries), cleaning (floors, microwaves, walls, coolers, dishes), interacting with customers (taking orders, dealing with complaints, forming a bond with the regulars, fixing any mistakes), and closing down the cafe (shutting down machines, counting the cash drawer, deck scrubbing the floors, checking expiration dates).
Pros
Ability to advance to higher positions
Cons
Forced to clock out for breaks, have to pay for food
Great place with great values
Crew Trainer/ Night Baker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILMarch 23, 2016
During my time with this company, one of the most important things I learned was pentene and understanding. Learning that every guest has different needs and requests. doing as little as remembering allergens or a name along with a warm smile can truly change someone's day. We work in a fast paced environment that teaches you how to incorporate speed of service, and top notch hospitality skills. Catering to every order big or small new or returning, family and cultural values play a major role within the company.
Pros
Knowing every customer great enviornment, awesome product
Cons
N/A
Best Restaurant Industry Job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 24, 2016
Panera Bread was my favorite job I have ever had. I enjoyed making food for customers, my co workers, the company environment. I learned to work with customers, to make a product to exact specifications, and work with a team. The managers at each Panera I worked for were top notch. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace of a popular quick service restaurant, but the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the enjoyment of our food by our customers.
Pros
Cheap Lunch, Team Camaraderie
Cons
Demanding customers, Fast Pace.
not bad if you're a college kid but not long term career
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNApril 13, 2016
Not the worst place I've worked, but wouldn't think of it as a long term career. Pay and hours are not bad, but the one I work for is a franchise so we don't get any benefits except for half off meals. Can be very boring at slow times and place seems to attract a very "snooty" and "uppity" kind of customer.
Pros
half off meals
Cons
no benefits at franchise store unless your management, boring at slow times, snooty customers
Awesome food and wonderful people
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYMarch 19, 2016
I see myself being apart of something great and why I say this is because Panera Bread has an excellent ground and ive learned that no matter where you go you are recognized right on the spot. It was a bit hard for me to learn so many things at first but getting to know everything and being a great worker got me recognized. You are not held back you are put out once you put in hard work. Everyone makes you feel welcomed and they are very fun and positive majority of the time.
very nice enviroment to work in or being a customer they make you feel like family.
prep/stock/train (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHApril 14, 2016
I liked working in mornings, so i did stock then prep and worked the production line through lunch. I learned how to work in a high volume atmosphere at in many different areas mostly thru lunch. The management was great always there when needed.the people i worked with were awesome some new a little some new a lot but we always made it thru.training people was the hardest part of the job (at that time) .the funnest part of the job was when management told you great job everyone we had an excellent day and we accomplished this together.
Pros
half price on food when you are working.
Cons
the only odd thing would be were the dry stock was put and were you had to get it down from.
Its All in What You Make It
Certified Day Baker (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 16, 2016
Panera itself is a wonderful company to work for. I would say that the issues that I have had in my positions have resulted out of some of the choice individuals in upper management chosen to run the cafes. The way that issues are dealt with within the cafe are somewhat troublesome and I feel that this would only deter potentially long-term employees from wanting to advance within the company. I feel that the corporate division should be more "tuned-in" associate needs on the individual cafe level. Pay is comparable to the amount of work and effort and you are willing to put in.
Pros
Free Meal Up to $10 for Management and Bakers
Not a good place to make a career out of.
Cashier/Cook/tranier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2016
The company is horrible as a whole no good benefits no good pay always have to attend a bread bash meeting which is always on a Sunday at 8. some of the management was cool but the gm was very rude, she claim to be there for you but technically not. Basically panera wants perfect but they can never have that. I work hard for the 3 years to have a position that i know i have earn to be giving to someone who wasn't even no where near qualified. Also the hours was not that good either especially around the holidays your hours are cut really bad for example from thanksgiving til mid February or march thats when you will see better hours with this company.
Pros
discount on meals.
Cons
no good pay nor no good benefits.