Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 4,937 reviews matching the search
Good first time job
Associate (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAMarch 22, 2017
I worked with Panera Bread from 16-19 and it was fun. The coworkers were amazing and I made so many new friends! Management would give me to many hours at times and it impacted my grades and social life. I asked for a promotion and was told it would take several months and if that they would hire me part time but would not increase my current pay. Loved working there but need something new for my needs and adult life.
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Too many unreasonable hours, hard to get promoted
Fast pace and stressful environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 27, 2017
Panera Bread is grossly underpaying employees, as well as management.
With high volume of customers walking through the doors daily one would think hiring more people would be a main priority to devote the employees to better customer service and appropriately staffing all areas of the cafe to insure excellence, and warmth that Panera is marketed for.
Pros
Great employees, fast paced environment
Cons
Horrible pay for associates, and management.
A good job to learn basic work ethic
Associate Trainer & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMarch 29, 2017
Panera bread was a faced-paced work environment that required you to stay on your toes and attentive to customers needs at all times. The company has great, strong beliefs of what food should be and had strict guidelines for food handling. There were always multiple managers to deal with in a single day but all were pleasant and helpful. It is a great job to keep you busy and earn you money, however it is not a long term career.
Easy to learn
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 12, 2017
Well, the job itself is easy to learn. But management doesn't understand you have other priorities such as schooling. They work you long hours and they've worked high school students a closing shift when they have to get up at 5 the next morning for school. It's a bit above the minimum wage, but I don't know if it is worth it. Though, you get very nice discounts on food.
Pros
Discount food on days you work, easy to learn jobs, clean and healthy food that tastes good, fun co-workers
Cons
Managers don't understand educational priorities, pay doesn't make it worth it, things constantly change and not for the better.
Not the best place to work, but flexible schedule if in college
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74120March 20, 2017
This job is very repetitive, so if you like routine you may like it. I've loved all of my GM's, but the rest of management isn't always guaranteed to be the greatest. Many don't help out making food or ringing on the cashier and see themselves as better than the associates. You feel overworked most of the time and the pay isn't worth it. Also, look out for unfair pay. Some associates that were working their for 2 years were making $10/hr, while long time associates (6-10 years) were only making $10-$11/hr. So you may just start out at $8/hr while others will start out at $9.50/hr. It is very unfair.
Pros
65% off on food
Cons
unfair pay, repetitiveness, lazy/poor management, overworked
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 2, 2017
Great Place to work, I enjoyed meeting all types people. My co workers worked as a team. The food was excellent for the money. My supervisor was supported, and was always there when I needed them.
The place clean and relaxing to the customers.

Typical Day when I arrived I check my register before starting my shift. Make sure my station was clean, Always keep a smile and polite to the customers. Most of enjoyable was eating their meal The hardest part of the job was busing tables.
Pros
Ableto meet all tyoes of people
Cons
Pay Rate neede to higher than min. wage
Productive and fast paced job
Bakery-Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 28, 2017
Here you can expect to handle customers, prepare food, clean, and you must be accurate with handling dated food items. This was my first and only food service career, and I definitely learned a lot from this position including there is always something else to stay occupied with at work. The most enjoyable part of this position was my coworkers, while the hardest part of any customer service job is sometimes difficult customers.
great for a beginner job as well as any age
Cashier,Dining Room Attendant and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 26, 2017
Going in with a positive attitude will make you want to grow with the company i have learned so much in the 4 years that i have been with the company. I have chosen not to grow in the company because i have another job at the moment and i like to be able to dedicate my time there as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing returning customers with smiles on their faces knowing that we give them the kind of service that they enjoy.
Pros
65% off your meal while your working
Cons
not having a set schedule
It was fun!! but only temporary.
Bakery and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDFebruary 27, 2017
Its a nice place to work for a student, but I wouldn't recommend making a career out it. Panera's standards are really high, they do everything by the book. The faced paced environment can become very frustrating. You definitely need patience. I don't like the uniforms you had to wear either. Good management made my job very easy!! Easton Panera had really good management when I was employed there.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Average pay, Face pace environment
It's an okay job to start off not something to live off though
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLMarch 3, 2017
It's an overall cool place to work at. Customers are sometimes friendly it all depends on your location and your experience with them. Management team sucks & they sometimes over work you. ( beg you to come in). I wouldn't recommend staying there long term because it does get stressful if your in high school & just need some extra cash it's GREAT for you. if your a college student with bills don't go for it. I started working there my junior year and now I'm a sophomore in college who recently quit & I don't regret it one bit. Good luck though. Oh and the pay sucks!
Pros
Hours, discount on meals.
Cons
No breaks, management team, pay rate
Not an enjoyable workspace
Bakery - Café Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 3, 2017
I was the cashier/bakery associate. I took customers orders as well as got them pastries. I learned patience, understanding, and communication skills. The workplace culture was very chaotic and perpetually changing. The hardest part was the unknown of the shift ahead, not knowing how many customers would come in and their attitudes. The most enjoyable part of working there were my coworkers. We all got along for the most part and were able to grow our communication skills.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
always changing work schedule
Productive place to work
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMarch 1, 2017
A typical day at work would include doing just about everything from being a cashier, to making sandwiches.
I learned that sometimes making mistakes are okay.
Management could be better, but it depends on what cafe you work at.
You have to make sure your workplace is clean because not many employees will help with that.
The hardest part of the job is working when it's busy, after a while you get used to it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer's face light up with joy when their food is coming their way.
Pros
Delicious food
Cons
No breaks, management
quality company with
GM (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2017
A typical day consisted of quality checks, and constantly checking on the many different areas of production to make sure of quick and properly made products. Food was verified and went out to the guest, I learned how to balance many different systems and make sure we were producing efficiently and properly. The management was full of quality people and with ample opportunity to develop and seek out new talent. The culture was one of embracing change. The hardest part of the job was making sure we produced quality food in a quick and proper manner. The best part of the job was our guest and our team members.
Pros
innovation, quality product
Cons
compensation
Great company for transition.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2017
I've learned a lot and it was fun while it lasted. Great for part time or full time. Typical day is on your feet constantly coaching and maintaining employees. Workplace is friendly but pretty high stress/ Hardest part is dealing with people that cant comprehend well. Also getting younger employees to do the right thing even when you're not there.
Pros
Quick advancement, Flexible, Easy to get the job.
Cons
On your feet alot long hours, angry customers
Fun and productive
Cashier, Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLMarch 19, 2017
While working here at Panera I had more than one job. I knew three different positions. I worked in the drive thru and at the front cashier desk, and I also worked on the floor meaning I cleaned up the lobby and the eating area for the customers. Most days I would do two positions in one shift so I was good at being flexible with my job. You're always on your feet when working at Panera, and I mean that literally. Everyone there is nice and welcoming and help make the workplace experience amazing.
Pros
Employee discount on food
Grest staff, very productive and nice place to work
Food handler/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FL 33909March 15, 2017
The usual work days don't drag on too long. The managers make the job very simple so each employee can work efficiently. Training isn't too hard and the atmosphere inside the restaurant is always friendly and nice. I learned a lot about working as team and not reying solely on my skills, but using what I excel at to bring the group forward. For example: carrying multiple plates at once or being flexible enough to switch in between every restaurant position. I'd say the hardest part of the job is keeping with the demands of so many customers, but the most enjoyable part was being able to provide them with the best customer service I could.
Excellent team building workplace
Customer Associate (Current Employee) –  York, PAMarch 16, 2017
Panera provided me with the teamwork skills that I will need for the rest of my life. I was also able to gain a better understanding how to engage with customers and cater to their needs. The management was well organized and each of my managers was a stellar example of a leader. The most difficult part of working at Panera was how quickly each of us had to move when a lunch or dinner rush was upon us. Though at times I became stressed, I grew to be able to handle the fast paced environment.
Pros
discounted lunch, great co-workers and managers, clean place to work, reasonable break schedule
Cons
difficult to get reliable hours
Not much to really excel at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMarch 16, 2017
Advancement within the company is almost impossible. Higher level positions are always hired from outside the company not from within. Managers didn't know what they were doing in terms of inventory, managing employees, handling customer complaints, etc. Employees were always taking for granted no matter how excellent they performed at the job. Lousy pay for the amount of nonsense you take at this job
Pros
30 min Lunches, co-workers are almost always cool people
Panera Bread: For Better or Worse
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 21, 2017
During a typical day, you will have to deal with employees and managers that lack communication skills, which is a downside when things need to get done. I learned to be more upfront and direct, to get things done. The managemnet staff does not communicate with one another, they have had over 4 employees quit during a span of 1 and half month. The hardest thing for me the lack of communication the company has. The best thing about the job, the discount on your meal.
Pros
65% discount on food
Cons
discount only applies for $10, short breaks, long hours, poor managment, not enough employees so no days off hardly
Friendly work place.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 23, 2017
The work place has a great team that works hand- in- hand together. Challenges may arise but with the team that has been accessible to me here has always made the difference. I learned working in this company that team work is very critical here.This is why they hold such a reputation the way they do. The management here are very forward driven and understanding. They recognize and practice team work on a daily basis.
Pros
Independence and trust to execute your daily tasks.
Cons
Over-night Schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.