Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 4,006 reviews matching the search
Worst company on the planet!
Head Baker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 29, 2016
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! Horrible pay, no benefits at all, must work every holiday with no holiday pay, and if you hit over time they delete it or deduct a whole days work from your work week. Very crooked company. HR is only about covering Panera mistakes. Never received a single raise as promised. They lie During the interview to get you in the door, but never give what they promised. (Bait and switch) they will lower the amount of pay once your hired.
They treat the employees horribly. Always out of product!! Just an over all horrible company!!!
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
No breaks ever, horrible pay, no benefits, no pay raises
Outstanding work environment
Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHSeptember 28, 2016
Fun place to work, management is great, customers are the best! A really great place to work. No complaints. Hours are great, management is flexible with scheduling. Co workers are great, and some of the regular customers are the best!
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
No free food
A fast face, friendly work place!
Catering Coordinator, Associate trainer (Current Employee) –  Costa MesaSeptember 28, 2016
1. A typical day is a 5:00 am shift checking emails and orders sent to catering. I have to make the food prep, package, deliver, and market every day. I also train new associates how to be a cashier, dining room, and line cook.
2. I learned how to organize, prioritize, and communicate
3. Managers change often at my store, but have all been great to work with.
4. Going out to different companies trying to get orders and market.
5. Tips and meeting new people.
Pros
I get 1 free lunch and tips for my deliveries.
Cons
I dont get paid much, and deliveries get stacked up
pruduction as server
Line Cook/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 28, 2016
it was a great experience working with the customers/ I would get a lot of friendly and understanding people. if it was super busy my customers were always patient to wait for their order.
Pros
50% discount if we ordered lunch there.
Cons
the hours were not enough some weeks
Productive and fun working environment.
Front of House Employee (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCSeptember 28, 2016
Worked here for about a year and a half. Was a great experience. Would work here again if I didn't have to quit in order to make more money.
Fun and Nice Work Place but not good Management
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLSeptember 28, 2016
I worked there for almost a year and i was happy but manager wise I was not happy. The 2 most important managers were not nice and would yell at you or one would forget about you and not put you on the schedule and it was just not a good place. Customer wise I loved it and my co workers were awesome but I feel if the management isn't nice or respectful at least, it would not be a good environment to work in (at least for me).Another thing they would do is if you were schedule to leave at 4 for example, you wouldn't be able to leave until 6 because someone would not come in and the manager (except one who would ask and be nice about it )wouldn't even ask if you could leave because they just assume Panera is life and then when you ask them to go home they're like in a minute and the minute ends up being 2 hours. Panera also doesn't pay time and a half which is sucky because i worked on holidays when I could have been with my parents and family. My manger decided that we should work because management decides if they can be open on a holiday.
The training is also not that great you get 2 days of training for 2 weeks and then after that you're on your own, If they ask you to cover someone who is closing and you have never closed before you're on your own and you have to learn slowly every time you do so and only one manager helped me whenever she was closing that night other managers would just yell at you for not doing something but it wasn't your fault because you were never trained to close! I feel they should have trained cafe associates better so that they can do things
  more... better.
The way the managers would yell at you because of things you didn't know would really bring you down. If it wasn't for the managers yelling at me and always bringing me down I would have stayed in this panera.

Being a Minor as well you would want to be able to work as much as the law allows you but one of the managers would send you home hours early because they didn't need you or because there were to many people working that day and honestly a job is a job and most of us get jobs because we need them so I would loose money because like i wouldn't work as many hours as i wanted. Only in the summer was when I could work as many hours as I can.
Meeting new people was the best thing about my job and seeing how happy people were with my service and how I would make them happy was what meant a lot to me. I learned how sociable I was and how people are nice and they care and if you give them a good service they would be happy with you! If I could work at panera again I would, just not at the one I worked in.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, the co workers, and customers
Cons
Rude managers, always keeping you over time, doesn't pay time and a half.
It's a great job to have!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 27, 2016
I love working at Panera because you meet so many new people, everyone is nice, and everything needed to be done is fun to do. Never a dull moment while working. Co-workers are always helpful, and kind, and if they aren't, you can always help them to better themselves. It's a whole learning environment, and I really enjoy that. Everyday, you can do something new, or learn something new. And there is always something to do.
Dont work here
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYSeptember 27, 2016
Your mornings are hectic and all the coworkers and especially managers are cranky because customers are cranky because we run out of coffee or bagels they want etc. Management puts on a fake face to customers and then treat their coworkers badly behind closed doors. Management plays a lot of favoritism games. You make one little mistake, they will use it against you your entire time your hired there. Coworkers and managers tend to be a bit gossip like. Great food, nice customers overall, some good coworkers, just make sure you kiss up to the managers, very good job security and a flexible schedule, the only way you can get fired is if you steal, however managers expect everything to always be perfect,
Pros
65% off food, bringing home free food at closing, pay advancements, flexible schedule, good job security
Cons
poor management, no health or disability benefits, busy, cranky coworkers, judged easily, you get no hours if youre a teenager or in high school unless you kiss up, favoritism, immature atmosphere, horrible job overall
Great Place to work
BREAD ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PASeptember 27, 2016
i would come in set up the front end of the store and start cleaning a ringing up customers as well as making drinks helping catering and the food line. The customers are AMAZING as well as our co - workers the management team is ok and the hardest part of the day would be lunch time the line is typically half way out the door for atleast 2 hours but the best part of my job is pleasing the customers and getting great feedback
Enjoyable, but Stressful and Unorganized
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CA 91367September 26, 2016
A typical day at work had many things going wrong. This did not allow for great costumer service. Management was unorganized. A lot of communication issues. Co-workers were nice, they kept to themselves. The hardest part about the job was closing. The most enjoyable part of the job was washing dishes. I learned that in chaotic environments, such as Panera Bread during rush-lunch-hour, communication is very important.
Hope other jobs aren't this bad
Certified Trainer, Associate (Former Employee) –  Broadview Hts, OHSeptember 26, 2016
I worked at a Panera at a turnpike plaza, and it was pretty great the first year, and then the management at my store change. The general manager was absolutely terrible. I worked there almost 3 years, and never really advanced past becoming a certified trainer, which I never got my raise for. It's a pretty racist and sexist company, where all the upper management are pretty terrible people, and rumored drunks. Which is probably the only way to sanely make it through a work experience there. I enjoyed some of my coworkers, who were great and completely unrecognized. Hard work was criticized, and rule breaking and threatening to quit got you a raise. I would not recommend a job there, unless you are truly desperate, and even then.
Pros
50% discount for associates, and free meals for managers
Cons
understaffed, criticized, sometimes go without a break, often forced to stay late
ok
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 26, 2016
i worked there for a year managment wasnt too good but fellow employees were fun. Food is great and i think my favorite part of it was the discount. 65% thats alot of money deducted.
Good food with high expectations
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gibsonton, FLSeptember 26, 2016
The managers here are unreliable. The food isn't that bad, but not everything is fresh like they advertise. The customers are the worse here, always complaining about something or another even when there isn't anything to complain about.
Pros
discount
Cons
horrible employees
decent pay and decent hours
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 25, 2016
needs improvement in management, I looked forward to work because of co-workers. the hardest part of the job was management issues and the speed.
Family Oriented work place
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2016
I learned that you can only look out for yourself. Remain focused on your own career goals.The most enjoyable part was learning new things and gaining a family that i did not have before.
Productive place to work
Cashier/ Waitress/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 25, 2016
They taught me some good cleaning skills, and people skills, other employees were good to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk to people. The hardest part was management always pushed for us to talk more to the customers, I felt like I was bugging the customers.
Pros
discount on all foods, free drinks
Cons
Take breaks when no customers
Decent place to start
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 25, 2016
Panera has a high turn over rate. This is both good and bad. If you stay you are more likely to get a promotion. However, since every one around you will be new to the job you will be caught up training everyone and it can be very hectic when rush hour comes. All in all there are good people there and the management is very helpful.
Pros
Easy raises
Cons
low experienced workers
Stressful and rude managers.
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 25, 2016
I was poorly trained and the hours were very little. The Main Manager is a very rude and power hungry person. Not a very supportive environment.
Pros
65% off up to $10
Cons
up to 8-20 hours a week.
Good place to work if your store isn't short on staff
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 24, 2016
It was a my first job and I really liked it. Then we lost people and most of the employees went to just nights. I started working mornings and it was a bad mistake. I worked a lot. More than I thought I would. When I first started I picked up every shift I could and after working there for a few months the first shift I wanted covered didn't get covered. I worked so much I honestly felt I was expected to do the work of 2-3 people. So I left. It's great for your first job and if you want to work night. And most of my mangers were awesome. But once they notice you can do your job you are expect to do a ton more. You do move up quickly which is nice if you can push threw the how ever long it takes you to be a manger.
Pros
50% off every shift
Cons
Some management is bad, didnt have reg hours
Productive in handling food and customer service
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 24, 2016
A typical day at work would be making sure everything is stocked and clean for the customers. Providing an every day oasis for our customers. I would also wash dishes, change coffees, clean bathrooms and would make food from time to time
Pros
fun co workers, environment was friendly
Cons
Low pay, short breaks, unfair treatment