Panera Bread Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,796 reviews matching the search
No Jerk Policy makes my Panera a great place to work
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 15, 2016
My coworkers are all very nice and a pleasure to work with. The newly remodeled cafe is beautiful and an inspiring place to work in.
Panera's food is very healthy and we get a 65% discount on it.
Management is professional for the most part with one exception. Corporate seems to be good at weeding the bad apples out over time. The hardest part of the job is the failure to adhere to stated standards, for example verifying orders. I am giving up my nights and weekends, but it is usually a pleasure to work here for them.
Pros
Great food, coworkers and dining room, with fireplaces, granite and wood paneling.
Cons
Standards not enforced, e. g. verifying the order.
Ew never again
Dinning room/ Barista/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJune 24, 2016
I was working as a dining room person and as a barista for a long time and only got trained as a cashier maybe 5 times. I covered dishwasher whenever they needed someone. They hired a friend of mine from elementary school to work in the dining room and two weeks after she got hired, she got to train on the registers and got to do that full time. I busted my butt for so long to not get promoted to another job really sucked. The managers sucked, the kids who worked there were aweful, and it was a bad environment to work for.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
NOTHING
Panera Bread brings a new meaning to customer service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 3, 2016
This company wasn't the easiest to get hired, there are online courses and workshops to attend before being accepted. Panera takes the comfort of their customers seriously, providing a home environment and cafe to eat and socialize with friendly, helpful employees.

A typical day consisted of constant change and motion
-lines to the door every morning
-seasonal changes
- fast pace
-multitasking
-long shifts w/o breaks

The hardest part of my job was taking the blame for poor management, short staff and lack of supplies/produce
Catering: Poor compensation and employee appreciation
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 5, 2016
Unless you suck up to the manager and become best friends, there is no moving up. Raises only come once a year and are never over $0.25. Higher ups only care about more profit but don't motivate or even supply proper space/tools to increase business. Drains your will to live.
Pros
Get tips and mileage
Cons
The tips sucks, Have to use own car without upkeep expenses or ticket reimbursement, Horrible/unpredictable hours, No commission/mandatory tips on large orders
Panera bread
Political Representative (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLJune 28, 2016
I have worked at Panera bread for 4 years. After all of the dedication, going home at 12am and going back into work at 4am was not appreciated. There is room for growth in the company but favoritism is alive and well in that company. If you're not pretty, kiss up or work an insane amount of hours, you'll be in the same position. Good for a first time job...but nothing more. They have people who have been grandfathered into the company so how far you grow depends on WHO you know...
Pros
Great first Job
Cons
corporate
Productive and great first job
Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Victorville, CAJune 30, 2016
Working here you have to know it gets very busy. You are always busy doing something which is great! Keeps you busy and makes the time go by faster. Only con about this job is management. District and General managers need a lot of work when it comes to helping employees. Favoritism is a huge downside of working here. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people you meet. Everyone is amazing and nice and make work worth going to.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
management.
fast pace working duties
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 25, 2016
my job at Panera was Cashier/ bus boy. the minute I can I would have to get my cash registrar ready and take the customers order on the kind of food they want. If a customer has a food allergy we would notify the prep food about the food allergy so it wouldn't be contaminated. if the front wasn't busy I would have to stock the fridges of product, clean the tables, take care of the trash, refill the beverages, and etc. it was a constant cycle that you have to be quick about.
Typical temporary job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 28, 2016
Most non management employees were young high school students and young adults (low 20's) which meant turnaround was quite high. The actual job duties were very easy, they provide very good training for new employees. Management was always friendly and helpful. The location I worked in had a big problem with internal theft (employees stealing money from other employees bags/purses).
Pros
Nice discount, good managers, thourough training.
Cons
lower end of "competitive pay", immature co-workers.
Management wasn't very helpful
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 3, 2016
I hated this job. The coworkers were pretty nice and the job seemed exciting at first but it was ruined by the management. The General Manger was very rude and condescending. He would give vague directions such as "could you get that" and yell at you for doing the wrong thing very often. He would talk down to employees and make them feel lesser for undeserving reasons. Almost as if he got a kick out of it. This attitude rubbed off on all the assistant managers and made it a terrible environment. The job was fairly easy with decent pay.
Friendly home style cafe culture
Associate/Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJuly 6, 2016
At Panera Bread, you receive a variety of different customers. Some will be regular customers and already know what they wish to consume. The managers are helpful in terms of flexibility in means of assistance if needed. My coworkers work as a team some are a little more knowledgeable than others . The hardest part was I found was the closing process, making sure everything is clean and accessible for morning shift but eventually, that became easier. I think the most enjoyable part of working at Panera Bread is meeting different people and being able to donate unconsumed bread to the local high school.
A company that gives you space to grow and recognizes onces success.
Joint Venture Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 11, 2016
Working for Panera Bread is a very fast paced environment. You need to be engaging and ready for every shift. The average lunch shift (12-1) could serve up to 300 guests. As the General Manager you would lead a team of 5 assistant managers and up to 50 associates any given day. The hardest part of the job is keeping staffing levels up to accommodate the business and the most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying thousands of different guests on a daily/ weekly basis.
Pros
Working in a high energy enviroment.
Cons
Getting associates that are willing to work early morning hours in the city.
Great concept but too demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJuly 9, 2016
The overall concept of Panera is wonderfull and they have the best systems and tools in place for learning and maintaining and clean and professional environment. The issue with this concept is they expect one individual to do the work of 3 people which is unreasonable making it hard at times to maintain said systems and tools. They expect management to maintain a "healthy" labor budget by literally running a skeleton crew at most times which is ridiculous.
Pros
Best training tools and systems for future ventures and generous discounts
Cons
ZERO quality of life
Work days were consistently productive
Line Cook, Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 11, 2016
Most work days we would prepare our area of duty and prepare our areas with the required items for your particular assignment.We constantly stayed busy making sure that we prepared our customers orders precisely while keeping a neat, clean and organized working are. Our management team was pretty fair and showed good leadership skills. The hardest part about the job was learning about new items but also that became the most enjoyable part as well.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
N/A
I am a number one workier...
Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 19, 2016
At my work, or wherever I am, I typically like to look for what needs to be done and do it. If I see the garbage needs changing or the floors need sweeping, I would rather do it without being asked, rather than to have to wait for someone to tell me what to do. I am very patient to learn a job correctly. At Panera there were a few jobs which were tricky, but most were quite simple. In everything, though, my moto is to do my job above and beyond what is required and do it well.
Pros
There is great food for employees to eat all the time.
Cons
It's not that easy to get premoted and get higher pay or more hours a week.
Overall Panera has been an enjoyable experience.
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 20, 2016
I have been working with Panera since 2014. Unfortunately I was in a car accident in 2012 and as a result suffered head and back trauma. The managers at Panera have been so incredibly compassionate and understanding of my health limitations, and appreciate my work ethic, so it has made my work experience much more enjoyable. A typical day at work consists of high stress, multi-tasking, and is very fast paced. It has taught me great patience, and a heightened sense of management skills.
Pros
Employee discounts, great people
Cons
High stress at times
Panera Bread brings a new meaning to customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLJune 28, 2016

A typical day consisted of constant change and motion
-lines to the door every morning
-seasonal changes
- fast pace
-multitasking
-long shifts w/o breaks

The most enjoyable part of my job was experiencing working in the restaurant industry now that Panera Bread offers table service.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No Breaks
Too many highschoolers
Dishwasher and Gereral cleaning (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 18, 2016
If you like working with teenagers this is the place for you and if you don't mind be discriminated against then good for you.I work there from the time the opened til 2003.Will I ever work there again never.Everybody was stuck up and there was no team work what so ever.I never got a raise ro respect.It felt like I was the runt of everybody there.WARNING WARNING WARNING do not work there you will regret it.
Pros
Nonthing
Cons
everything
Panera Bread
Certified Associate (Former Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLJune 17, 2016
Panera Bread was my first job and honestly I am grateful for the opportunities that it has given me. I learned how to deal with stressful situations with customers and how to make a delicious sandwich and how to keep maintenance in a dining room. The best part of the job was the paycheck every two weeks as well as my fellow employees. They always made my day. I think it is a great first job but not for a career unless you wanna move up the Panera Bread ladder.
Pros
50% off meals, Thirty Minute Breaks, Free Drinks(excluding speciality drinks such as Green Tea)
Cons
Management was very keen about clocking in early, Management don't like overttime
not what its promised to be
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 20, 2016
Loved my training. After that it all went down hill. You realize everything they promised to get you on board was not for real. There is shadiness with inside the company at the home office. Taking money from people without asking. You get a phone call saying you they owe you money from health care and it will be stretched out to you throughout the year and you will be taxed on it too and then the health insurance calls you telling you that you owe them money! They have incompetent and unbalanced caterers and managers! That is what makes up their "CULTURE." If you are psychaotic, a drug attic, thief that wants no real quality of life then this is the job for you!
Pros
Employee that want to believe in Panera
Cons
Empty promises
My very first job and it was nice, but I wish they gave me more hours
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHJune 14, 2016
Panera Bread was my first job and I was hired in as a dishwasher, they respected me and they treated me no different (I'm disabled and I was the only black male working there) and I had a fun time, I loved the management and the rest of the crew, the atmosphere, and the music. I also liked how I would get paid in a form of a check!. The only bad thing I can say about this job is that I wish I was given more hours because I only worked 3 days a week, 4 hour shifts
Pros
The management, the atmosphere, getting paid every week, stress free environment
Cons
Wish they gave me more hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.