Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Baker Helper/Baker (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NJFebruary 1, 2016
Excellent Working atmosphere,
great co-workers,
Helping management .
enjoyed working with Panera as baker the only thing i didn't enjoy that i was not given raise there while working nearly 2 years
Underpaid over worked staff
Panera Associate (Former Employee) –  Munster, INFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day would be nonstop busy. Lines out the door with only three production people two of whom were on drive thru. The remaining person was left to make all salads and sandwiches while also performing the duties of the "QC" Position. My co-workers were great, it was like family.
Pros
Great discount on Panera foods
Cons
10-12 hr days without a break sometimes.
immediate supervisors/managers vs. middle management
Overnight Baker (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PAFebruary 1, 2016
most of the actual workers and supervisors are good and decent people. in my experience, anyone above your immediate supervisor will feed you company lines and are far more concerned about the company than their employees. one of many examples: i was told to come in during a snowstorm which had even the turnpike shut down, and was told that even though road conditions were life-threatening and impassible, that i should risk it because "we have such good health insurance for things like that." this was an admonishment for calling off because i couldn't drive around two jack-knifed tractor-trailers. on the other hand, my immediate supervisors were all just good dudes trying to make a living. if i had to sum up working there: stick it to the man.
Pros
peers
Cons
everyone from the top down to middle management.
Great management; not much advancement opportunity
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 1, 2016
Standing in one place behind a register taking orders, cashing out customers. Loved working the drive up window but time pressure was more than necessary. Learned Barista skills. Most difficult part of this location was working with teens & young adults who disrespected the public with rude and inappropriate language.
Pros
reduced cost of meal each day.
Cons
30 min meal break which included standing in line waiting to order; seldom were there breaks.
A fun safe place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 31, 2016
The work day can be long and boring and the managers can be pretty mean but the pay is great. It's also can be a safe working environment.
Great Co- Worker
TEAM TRAINER/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 31, 2016
Great work environment, the people are very nice with great customer service skills. I help train a lot of our new employees before I was official offered a trainer position. The management was kind of distracting, but overall they got things done. Overall this company was okay.
Great employees but...
Cashier/Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 29, 2016
I loved the people I worked with but everyone either hated the manager or was afraid of her. If you ever needed a cover there was always someone who would take it.
Fast learning and committed co workers
Line Opener (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Fast pace learning environment, fun to work with co workers makes working in peace easy. The most enjoyable part about working at Panera is the opportunities you get to learn in the kitchen.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Mangers were not understanding about how long it took to complete tasks and were always complaining about time it took to complete any task
it is a lot of work but i always make it easy helping others and doing the right thing.
cook (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoy opening the restaurant and being able to communicate with the employees as well as the customers. Coming to work I see people with smiles on their faces, which makes me feel good about my job because I work in front of the line and I have the opportunity to speak to almost every customer. Sometimes they come in sad or happy, and I believe smile is key and helping out a customer to get their needs is important.
Pros
discount meals, free drinks, and some times free meal when we do good.
Cons
nothing really against
Good for teens
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2016
It wasn't the best but it definitely wasn't the worse. It would be a good job for a teen who doesn't really need money. Great hours and great pay and ways to get raises but the amount of free time you get is slim to none.
fun
Team member (Current Employee) –  sothfield , MI 40875January 26, 2016
fun and a good learning environment. custom service is something you have to enjoy doing because you feel like you giving back in so many ways.
Unpleasant management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 26, 2016
The environment of the establishment wasn't very inviting and the managers didn't seem to help. Very unfriendly and didn't make you feel like you wanted to be there. Still kept a positive attitude about job.
People are great, but pay is not.
Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 26, 2016
I loved everyone I worked with here. I connected with everyone, but the one thing that was not okay is the lack of pay people would get. You start out at minimum wage & the only way you can make over $9 is basically become a manager. Yeah thats fine if you dont really need a job. But people need more money to survive now days.
Pros
People, enviorement.
Cons
Pay
Decent Place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work would depend on the time of shift but it may include; stocking, prepping, cleaning, cashier service, dining room service or food production. Morale at the company largely depended on the manager on duty, the general manager, and their respective styles of management. My co-workers were by far the best part of the job. I worked with generally great people. The hardest part of the job were dealing with unnecessarily harsh managers and guests. But most of our management and guests were very polite and enjoyable to work with and serve.
A very energetic place to work
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2016
While incredibly busy at lunch hours, a majority of the time spent at work was engaging with customers and fun employees. It was incredibly worth it.
Great Work Environment
Customer Service & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 25, 2016
Panera is a great place to start if you're looking for your first job or somewhere that you feel you can excel at your job. I have worked there for five years and I have truly enjoyed it. The store I work at is very busy and there is always something to do. If you are a person who likes to keep busy and feel productive then this job would suit you. There was just a change in management and it has a been a positive one. I have learned communication skills, time management, customer service skills, and many others while working at Panera. They were always really flexible with my school schedule as well and always did what they could to accommodate everyone.
Fun work environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 25, 2016
Working at Panera was a great experience in customer service. Things are always changing so you are always on your toes, but in a good way. My only knock for the company was that I was not informed about the company's benefits program when I was first hired and did not know they would provide me benefits until I was 4 months in and was having the conversation with a co worker.
Terrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Panera Bread is a disappointing place to work, the management is terrible and they don't work with you to help you on your scheduling. It is always busy but the managers don't train you well enough and then you get yelled at by customers saying you are "incompetent". The hardest part was keeping my cool while trying to do my job.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Ok job if you're an Assistant Manager, but pressure of audits and customer review scores not worth it.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 25, 2016
First I should say, I work for a Panera franchise, not corporate. So I'm really reviewing Blue Ridge Bread, located in Virginia. I was hired as an Assistant Manager and after 5 1/2 years, was never able to move up. This is not a competency issue on my part, as I know I'm capable beyond many of the others who were promoted before me. This leads me to believe that there were a lot of company politics involved, which can be the case in any company. However, it has become acceptable for the General Manager to adjust employees hours (taking away hours from them), so that he won't catch as much grief for overtime. Also, as managers, we are scheduled to work 50 hours/week and my boss says that this is a minimum. He expects us to stay and work extra hours each day and come in on our days off just like he does. His bosses lack anything related to people skills and push for unrealistic results, month after month. We are expected to push the hourly employees to their breaking point until they leave and we just replace them. They are barely paid over minimum wage, and are expected to perform at a much higher level, with little to no appreciation. The benefits are good enough to keep me there until I can find something comparable, but I have become well beyond burned out working for this company, under this management, and the turnover (associate and management) reflects that I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Pros
its a job
Cons
its a terrible job