Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 4,673 reviews matching the search
Great co-workers, poor management
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 8, 2017
The employees are all wonderful hard workers. And there are a few managers/supervisors who are considerate and responsible. I would have stayed if it wasn't for a few poisonous managers/supervisors. Hypocrisy, favoritism and gossip is NOT appropriate in the work place, ESPECIALLY from a manager or supervisor. I will not return there for work until said manager/supervisor is no longer working there.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Inappropriate gossip and favoritism
Flexible Work Place for Students
Hourly Associate/Line Supervisor/Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 3, 2017
Panera Bread is a major company, their goal is to turn a profit. That being said, they cut hours and they force associates to take breaks. Management encourages promotions but doesn't act swiftly on the actual process of promoting. Co-workers are really fun and the environment is enjoyable. Would not recommend working here unless you are a high school/college student that is looking for a side job while attending school.
Pros
Discount, Cool Co-Workers
Cons
Breaks, Management, Pay
Hostile work enviroment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 3, 2017
I left Panera bread because of the lack of communication and management, management would "walk all over you." Pretty much just use you.

I dealt with long lines of hungry people at times I would not get help ringing them up.

Working with some co workers it was nothing but drama, I worked my hardest every single day.

I came in early when asked and left late at times not because I wanted too but because I noticed some co workers needed help.
I was offered a shift supervisor position with NO raise and that is why I quit and went to the Holiday Inn,

Overall I did not like working there.
Pros
Free food & health care
Cons
no raises
Fun, Productive , Fast Paced job, Competitive
Associate (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAJanuary 13, 2017
 Delivered excellent customer service including knowledge of menu offerings and food ingredients
 Provided warm and welcoming environment for all customers during their entire dining experience
 Operated cash registers and handled daily financial transactions with care and accuracy
 Closely followed restaurant and Department of Health policies to ensure safe and healthy food service quality
Enjoyable work environment, relaxed culture with professional practices
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Excellent place to work, higher ups are very amiable and willing to work with your schedule and personal needs, work well with requests off and covering shifts. The managers create an atmosphere where you can approach them with problems and don't feel pressured, however handle issues quickly with a professional manner
Pros
1 free meal a day, tips and delivery fees
Cons
Scheduling is hit or miss
Panera Review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Panera Bread was a short lived experience. As like Marshalls and Kohl's you come clock in and begin your shift, and at the end of the day you would want to go home. What I learned is that Panera Bread, is a very generous company that gives the majority of its fresh leftovers to the community shelters for people are in of need of a fresh meal. My co workers were very helpful and enthusiastic. Hardest part of my job was leaving do to a lack of hours given to me over a short period of time. But the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with such fun people both managers and co workers, and also, they would let us take food home at the end of the day.
Pros
Clean environment, helpful staff and coworkers, well stocked
Cons
no problems
Management made it a difficult place to work
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2016
I would begin an 8 hour shift and they would put me on break within the first two hours of me being there so they could cross it off the list of things they needed to do before the people from the first shift were done. I learned how to take customer's orders, cash handling, serving food, and inventory/stocking. My co-workers were good, but this usually ranges between different locations. The managers were not flexible when it came to scheduling and dcalling in sick.
Pros
Free leftovers
Cons
Long shifts; bad management
They require alot of attention. They are a great company to work fpr. You need to go above and beyond tp succeed in this company.
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis Park, MNDecember 29, 2016
Requires alot of attention. Best way to succeed is to go beyond what they ask of you. There is alot of attention to detail. My best advice is to start at the cash register and work up from there. Best way up the ladder is to get very close to customers and be a floater. Do everything and anything fpr anybody. Always follow the steps the show you comes in handy.
Management was bad but associates were friendly.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day had two rushes of people coming through and management barely helped us out with making food or phones ringing.
I learned to trust teammates but also work independently.
Management was very unprofessional and not helpful as in wanting to pursue higher degrees in the business.
The culture of Panera Bread was very hectic but also rewarding as it taught me how to work at a fast pace.
The hardest part for me was staying late hours during college but I was willing to do this.
The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and I got along and worked together during the hardest parts of the day.
Pros
60% discount on food when we worked, made lifelong friends, and taught me a good work ethic.
Cons
No breaks and long hours.
Good working environment
Day Time Baker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 27, 2016
I have learned a lot while working for Panera Bread. I learned about a bunch of new breads and pastries. They always introduced new products so the menu was always changing. The co-workers were always really friendly and welcoming to new employs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I was working with. The hardest part of the job was time managment, and making sure you would get everything done on time.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Full time was only 24 hours a week
productive
Line Cook Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 21, 2017
When working at Panera Bread I learned how to prepare salads, sandwiches and soups. My manager was very nice and flexible with my schedule. Co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of my job was having to learn the differences between the breads and pastries. The most enjoyable part of working there was being able to be apart of a great company.
Pros
great management and food
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and friendly with wonderful managers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 13, 2017
This was a wonderful place to work. I had an early morning shift and the manager was always there and always cheerful even at six in the morning. The managers and senior employees were so helpful and always willing to help me learn my responsibilities. It was a very friendly and customer service oriented workplace. I truly loved the workplace and I enjoyed going to work every day.
A Fun Place to Work
Associate/Table Runner (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNDecember 22, 2016
The management at my particular Panera Bread is outstanding. I could not ask for a better management team. They have gone above and beyond for their staff. The Cafe is well ran and we are treated fairly. My wages are fair for the type of employment and job I do. My co-workers are amazing. A typical day at work for me includes insuring a positive guest dining experience, keeping the Cafe neat and tidy, serving patrons their meals, handling problems that may arise and general cleaning duties. The most enjoyable part of my job are the regular patrons that I have gotten to know and my co-workers.
Pros
discounted meals, great people
Cons
the occasional crabby patron
Panera Bread
customer service (Former Employee) –  Maple Valley, WADecember 22, 2016
Panera was a perfect fit for a first job. I really enjoyed the people around me and the environment that I was in. I learned a lot about customer service and food production. I usually would be making food but some days I'd be on drive-thru taking orders and/or cashing people out. Other days I'd be out in the dinning room serving people their food,cleaning tables, dry stalking and helping people with whatever they need. Working with the management and my fellow coworkers was probably the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
discounts on lunches, long breaks
Can be a great place to work if you get the right manager.
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 3, 2017
Throughout my time with Panera I had the opportunity to work a variety of positions. There is a lot of room to move around and up, but only if you get good managers. The wrong ones make friends and chose favorites over hard-warking people and it turns into a high school social club. The right managers care about the restaurant and put a lot of effort into making customers the focus.
Great job to create momentum behind a career. However, there are not many advancement opportunities
Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIJanuary 14, 2017
Tough job depending on your role and where you work in the company. Has great employee benefits and good initiatives with positive impact in local communities. Advancement oppertunities are rare and really hard workers will be taken advantage of. High volume cafes are intense and require a fast pace, efficient worker.
Fast Paced - Decent People - Fast Turnover
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TN 37122December 21, 2016
Pros:
Pays well
GM is fantastic
Morning shift goes by quickly cause it's busy
tasks are well explained

Cons:
Trainers might not have any training in training - I trained a whole lot of people and wasnt there for long enough to be promoted to associate trainer.
Employees come and go really, really quickly
It's a fast paced environment - which is a good thing usually, but it also means people are often on edge and get snappy.
Stressful Work Days
Employee Trainer (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day at work, you can expect calls ins, expect to work short handed, and also late. It can be so busy that you aren't able to leave until it eventually slows down. I have been there up to 2 hours past scheduled time. It tends to be rather stressful. However, you form a wonderful family of co-workers.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Clean Work Place
Cons
Bad Discounts, Short Breaks, Very busy, Poor Management, Staff Shortage, Time off.
great place with great people
Associate (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 28, 2016
Panera bread is a great place for college and high school students, or if you have a physical issue because the customers alone are more understanding, with a team of coworkers that help most of the time. The management could use some improvement, however regardless they make sure the customer is first.
Pros
employee discount, 401k benefits
Cons
one 30 minute break for a 6-10 hour shift at least. not getting the hours you want, etc.
I did not enjoy, for the most part
Baker Helper/ Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2017
A typical workday consisted of pulling out food for the next day's bake, assisting the night baker, and washing dishes. I learned to clean dishes and maintain my work space. The management wasn't the best. For the most part they seemed fairly new at their jobs or just extremely busy to the point, however, when I could get a hold of them, they where quite helpful and kind. The workplace culture is quite serious, most night bakers came straight from culinary school, honestly, a bit of dedication that I find inspiring. The hardest part of my job (as it was my first real job) was managing my work duties and the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking the baguettes out of the oven.
Pros
Health benefits, better pay
Cons
Horrible training (as in poor quality)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.