Panera Bread Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,796 reviews matching the search
miserable
Production, dining room, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 12, 2016
it was cool there, learned to work hard no matter what management wasn't all that good. My co-workers teased me about my name. The hardest part was closing and the most enjoyable was the food there.
fast-paced, lighthearted environment
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 12, 2016
A typical workday at Panera is not too strenuous, but it is a fast paced environment that requires lots of attention and concentration. I learned to multitask better than before. The management is laid back, yet strict. My co-workers were cooperative and a joy to be around. No part of this job was hard. The most enjoyable part was the smiles and satisfaction of the guests.
Pros
free employee meals
Its a hard job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJuly 12, 2016
It gets very busy and customers can become irritated and mean. Some customers are rude and they treat you as a lesser person. The managers expect you to do so much work and stay after hours. The customers is always right even if the mistake was theirs, its a pretty demeaning job.
Pros
Schedule is flexible for school.
Cons
Short and early breaks, customers are very rude.
fast pace. good place to work.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2016
I like Panera. Meet a lot of good people at Panera. The management did their jobs, didn't allow anyone to slack. I had a great experience working for Panera. My trainer was fantastic, she knew what she wad doing.
Fun fast working environment
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 11, 2016
Was fast and a lot to do and remember management is great depending on the person. Co workers are fun and it feels like a family there. Hardest part it making sure everyone is stocked and ready for anything.
it was a very chatty environment, people sticking their noses where it was not welcomed.
Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 11, 2016
Favoritism among employees, rumors were passed along one another. Nobody ever wanted to clean, very few were obligated to clean oven and proof box because it would've interfered with the appearance of the products and the entire shift.
Okay place to work, inconsistent hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2016
I wouldn't say there's anything special about working here, it's just typical fast food service. Panera does have a better ambiance than other similar restaurants, but it's pricey and does tend to attract some snooty customers because of that. Management was hit or miss, there were some I loved and some who weren't so great. There's no benefits if you're part-time but the pay is okay, more than minimum wage at least.

My biggest problem was the inconsistent schedule--some weeks I would have 30 hours and others I would get less than 10. The times of the shifts themselves also didn't make any sense and it seemed like everyone was always switching shifts at the last minute, especially since the schedule only came out like 3 days in advance.

Employee discount was nice, but you can't use it all the time.
Pros
Employee discount, clean workplace
Cons
Schedule, hours
panera bread wasnt a good job
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 11, 2016
it wasa one of my worst jobs most of my co workers were rude 2 of the managers were horruble and always brought their bad days with them im glad i got fired tbh i didnt care about the job i was only there cause i needed money
Pros
free drinks
Cons
horrible managers
A company that gives you space to grow and recognizes onces success.
Joint Venture Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 11, 2016
Working for Panera Bread is a very fast paced environment. You need to be engaging and ready for every shift. The average lunch shift (12-1) could serve up to 300 guests. As the General Manager you would lead a team of 5 assistant managers and up to 50 associates any given day. The hardest part of the job is keeping staffing levels up to accommodate the business and the most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying thousands of different guests on a daily/ weekly basis.
Pros
Working in a high energy enviroment.
Cons
Getting associates that are willing to work early morning hours in the city.
Fun
Café Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterford CTJuly 11, 2016
Managers cared. Environment is paced. Workers were all a joy to be around and you were never doing the same job. Nice they always had events within the cafe to promote work ethnics
Pros
Fun
Cons
Manager tend to get forgetful
Panera was fun and easy
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 11, 2016
Working at Panera was fun and easy. I was always around a bunch of people. I learned that you cant be shy and that helping people was a good thing. Although, the managers need improvement the work day was awesome. co workers were the best part of the job made plenty of new friends and made work so much more fun to be at.
Pros
Being busy all the time
Cons
nothing really bad about this job
Work days were consistently productive
Line Cook, Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 11, 2016
Most work days we would prepare our area of duty and prepare our areas with the required items for your particular assignment.We constantly stayed busy making sure that we prepared our customers orders precisely while keeping a neat, clean and organized working are. Our management team was pretty fair and showed good leadership skills. The hardest part about the job was learning about new items but also that became the most enjoyable part as well.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
N/A
Good job
Associate (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJuly 10, 2016
Panera is a good place for a high school students first job. It will definitely teach you responsibility and hard work. Working on the line is a fast paced environment.
Enjoyable work enviroment
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 10, 2016
Over night stocking by procedure and guidelines per store management. Fast pace multi-tasking duties. Recording daily task.

Due to my prior skills and experienced, crossed trained to help line cook, prepare meals, attend dinning room and assist bakery.
Great concept but too demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJuly 9, 2016
The overall concept of Panera is wonderfull and they have the best systems and tools in place for learning and maintaining and clean and professional environment. The issue with this concept is they expect one individual to do the work of 3 people which is unreasonable making it hard at times to maintain said systems and tools. They expect management to maintain a "healthy" labor budget by literally running a skeleton crew at most times which is ridiculous.
Pros
Best training tools and systems for future ventures and generous discounts
Cons
ZERO quality of life
Great environment and people
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJuly 9, 2016
Panera Bread was a great experience for me and really made me expand my own expectations of myself. i learned daily throughout my time there and was never unhappy to come to work nor treated poorly. it was there where i truly gained a substantial amount of management experience and am grateful for the time i was able to call myself a proud employee of the corporation.
Pros
discount lunches, friendly co-workers
Fun, pleasantly slow workplace.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 9, 2016
Best team I've worked with so far. Great schedule, good food. Very friendly management. Learned a lot more about food prep. Hardest part was probably closing.
Unproffessional.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 9, 2016
Very unprofessional place to be employed. Schedules are almost always messed up. Never schedule enough hours. I was scheduled off a whole 8 days without ONE write up.
Pros
Friendly Managers
Cons
No hhours, Poor organization skills
very stressful, no awards
Bakery-Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJuly 9, 2016
not really worth it to work at panera but very good job if you under 18 and need a part time while you are in school vacations and need your own cash
Pros
always something to do, very fast paced
Cons
no breaks, no time as scheduled
Panera Atlanta
Manager Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2016
I was a manager in CT where it was great, I transferred to the Atlanta market it was the worst mistake, they are so disorganized, not customer, employee, or management driven. Needless to say I am no longer there. However, if it was CT I would still be. I love Panera but just not in the Atlanta market. I found a lot of racism, and harassment , when reported was told I was making trouble and misunderstood the GM remarks. However I know racism and have been in Management for 24 years experience. A typical day at work could be from over staffed on day shift to not having any staff at nights. the hardest part of the job was to change the culture of the store. the most enjoyable part was getting to know my customers.
I believe that the entire market needs and overhaul. They say the south is full of hospitality , but on this account they can take pointers from up North.
I would not say that I would not ever work for Panera again just not in Atlanta. My experience here however, have prompted me to change career path to become a Human Resource Manager.
Pros
45 hour work week, 1 weekend off a month
Cons
poor management, lots of turnover, understaffed