Panera Bread
1,842 reviews

Panera Bread Employer Reviews

Very fast paced
Front Line Cook (Former Employee), Winter Garden, FLNovember 21, 2014
On a typical day at Panera Bread, I would make customers orders as the cashiers rang them in. I also assisted wherever i was need around the restaurant. Managers were switched around frequently which very much so affected the workplace.
Nice coworkers, terrible scheduling, terrible customer base. It's a job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Whitesburg Drive, Huntsville, ALNovember 19, 2014
Pros: up to 10 dollar lunches on work days
Cons: short breaks, terrible customers, managers don't know how to schedule
As an associate, I would say that the worst part of Panera is the false sense of goodness. We are fast food, just like everyone else. Soups are frozen. Doughs are pre-made. Yet the customers are verbally abusive when it comes to the employees who are doing excellent jobs (my soup is too hot, why can't I have free things), more so than any other fast – more... food job I've worked, because they expect us to be an upscale bistro.
The management depends. Most of my managers have been awesome, but one manager in particular was angry because I had to call out because of illness, so the manager drastically cut my hours out of pettiness. The hardest part of the job is dealing with older, entitled, wealthier white people. They are the worst.
My coworkers are wonderful people. We are all treated like dirt, and the managers do not defend us. Pay starts at $8, which is a good thing, and they WILL try to work around your school schedule. Although, I have missed several classes because they never seem to let employees off at their scheduled times.
If you are looking for a career in food service, it might be a good match, since there are some regulars who are genuinely sweet people. They make it all worth it.
If you are looking for some more money, I'd say do it, but don't expect stable hours. – less
Exciting and demanding job
Dining Room Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 18, 2014
Pros: some overtime
Cons: not having an assitant on busy days.
My typical day at work was to keep a clean dining room. Help other co-workers when needed. Management was helpful when I was backeup as well as other co-workers. The hardest part of my job was being backed up with many dishes with no assitant. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I had a consistant asssitant.
Baker
Cashier (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 17, 2014
Was able to make pastries and bake bread for when the cafe was in need. Also assisting guests with orders.
Great Boss to Work for
Certified Trainer (Current Employee), Brunswick, OHNovember 16, 2014
Very fast paced, friendly employees. Enjoy customers. Will work with you if you need to make schedule changes.
Panera was a fast paced multi-tasking job
Manager/Trainer (Former Employee), Portage, MINovember 16, 2014
Pros: just being respected
I enjoyed Panera because the staff/management were fun and pretty compassionate. Management was sincere and also fun to work with.
Hardest part of my job was the expediting of the orders in a timely matter.
Most enjoyable, Getting along with all my co-workers, Which is at times hard to find
fun place to work co workers were awsome
DUTIES - ASSOCIATE, CASHIER (Former Employee), Mequon, WINovember 15, 2014
Pros: close to home co workers awesome
Cons: management was bad
cashier, barista, dining room cleaning, dishes, and other jobs as well
THE BAKERS LIFE
Night Baker (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 15, 2014
Pros: bakers meal up to $10.00 and testing and trying new products
WORKING FOR PANERA CAN BE REWARDING WITH OPPERTUNITIES FOR ADVANCEMENT TO MANGER PROSITIONS
Productive and fun workplace!
Hourly Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 14, 2014
We are a symbol of warmth and welcome. We are a simple pleasure, honest and genuine. We are a life story told over dinner. We are a long lunch with an old friend. We are your weekday morning ritual. We are the kindest gesture of neighbors. We are home. We are family. We are friends.

Thanks Panera LOL:}!
Fun Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 13, 2014
Enjoyed the job , worked with some pretty awesome people. The hours just weren't worth it.
If all you want is a job, you'll be fine.
Certified Baker (Current Employee), CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: $10 of free food per work day, benefits
Cons: lack of promotion incentive, horrible hours, inability to request days off even far in advance.
First off, I don't have anything much to say about the job duties themselves. They're straight forward and as to be expected in a modern day bakery-chain environment.

On the other hand, the corporation's understand of what a baker should be capable of and what is able to actually be done in a 7.5-8 hours shift is ridiculous. In the bakery manual they – more... list the amount of time it should take you to perform certain tasks...icing cookies, shaping and preparing dough, decorating product. The amount of time listed is about 2-3x the amount of time they actually expect you to take doing it, and yet they want to enforce company specifications and quality without giving you extra help. Unfortunately, the management understands this, but their hands are (somewhat) tied, and Panera makes it difficult for them to get you the help you need as well.

Working the 3rd/graveyard shift makes having a life impossible. I'm sure this is the case in any job. Somehow I managed to go to school full time and work full time because luckily my BMM was understanding, but the other manager singled me out because I was going to school and he felt I couldn't hold my job and attend classes. I never had a problem doing both until I started a serious relationship with my, now, fiancee. After my bosses caught on to the fact I was requesting weekends off and was trying to have a life, most of my requests for days off (which weren't often and were spaced out) were denied.

Also, don't expected to be promoted. Ever. Promotions, raises--all few and far between. Apparently they have to be approved by corporate and generally are only approved once a year. Promotions don't go to the person with the highest calibration scores (bakes and environment cleanliness are scored monthly) but rather to those that have little education, don't clean up after themselves, produce a sloppy product at the cost of following spec, and that cozy up to the BTS (manager below the BMM). – less
If all you want is a job, you'll be fine.
Certified Baker (Current Employee), CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: $10 of free food per work day, benefits

Overall the work environment is very friendly and there is great teamwork.
ASSOCIATE TRAINER (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great atmospher, great teamwork
I enjoy working at this company because of the fellow associates. We all try to make the cafe positive. The management team are on one accord. As an associate trainer we are the leading examples of how we uphold the company standards. The most enjoyable part of the job is to communicate with the customers.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 10, 2014
Friendly staff. I enjoy interacting with customers as well as my other responsibilities. I do not enjoy standing on my feet for eight hours without a break.
perfect first time customer service
Dining Associate (Former Employee), Fremont, CANovember 10, 2014
A very fast paced job that entitles a lot of work, but provides a perfect amount of experience.
Challenging but lively place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Madison, TNNovember 9, 2014
I learned that every job has pros and cons depending on your expectations and how open minded you are. Management could do a lot better but a select few are literally doing the best they can. Half of my co-workers I can say I would definitely call if I ever needed someone to talk to outside of work and the other half I keep as professional relationships – more... because some of the employees have nothing but negativity pumping through their veins. – less
Structured environment. Good concept
General Manager (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLNovember 9, 2014
Pros: enjoyed moving into new cafes and watching the changes happen
Cons: having to work keeping my head down due to upper management and ownership.
Oversaw all aspects of the cafes. Hiring, training, disciplinary and terminations. Did all ordering and following of labor and food costs.
first job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Troy, MINovember 7, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: short breaks
i learned how to handle myself in a professional manor and how to be responsible with money and do transactions with cash, credit and check
love it
Cashier (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2014
every day is a outstanding day with happenies laughters and plenty of jokes
Messy
Cashier & Barista (Current Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 7, 2014
Management is terrible. They have no idea what they are doing, they are over staffed, and even forget to put employees names on the schedule.

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more