Panera Bread Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,796 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun even though it needs improvement
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOJuly 8, 2016
The pay was not good, but the work environment was decent. However, employees did not get benefits or the right amount of training needed to move up to management or assistant trainer. I was there for four years and was trained on the same thing.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No healthcare or other benefits
productive company
Mixer Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 8, 2016
fun place to work,the people and mananger they are great,l anjoy working for this company,you entitle to have the bread and bagels.
Not A Place For Advancement
Trainer - January (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2016
Panera Bread has a great atmosphere and management is willing to work with you on time off and such but other than that it is not a place to work if you are trying to move up from an associate to management.

Mangers at my store and around the area average 60+ hours per week (only salary) and they usually come in for at least 10 additional hours per week on their days off to work on additional tasks.

Associates are never given the opportunities to advance to a trainer, shift supervisor, or management. There have been workers who have learned how to do every responsibility in the store and have been working for over 2 years who are unable to be promoted to shift supervisor but they are given the additional responsibility to carry the rest of the team and given extra work without proper compensation.

At Panera Bread if you are not as fast as other workers, you call out once per month, or they do not think you are working hard, your hours get cut to as low as 8 hours per week.
Pros
50% off up to $15, Stable job if you are a VERY hard worker
Cons
No benefits, minimal to no advancement opportunities
keeping up on ticket times.
SERVER/COOK/STOCKER/BAKER/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJuly 8, 2016
always making sure my ticket times were good enough or under our goal of 4 minutes. being a good team player is a big roll in working at a panera bread. closing shifts were always done so well and staff was well trained.
Cons
extra long closing
Great college position and starter position with a lot of potential
Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 7, 2016
Great college position and starter position with a lot of potential. Very welcoming staff and administration.
what I learned
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2016
Panera Bread has taught me how to be a winning manager and be a leader in customer service. This company has given me the opportunity to gain new skills as well as improve the ones I currently have.
Quick and Fast-pace Environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chubbuck, IDJuly 6, 2016
There's not a single day that is slow except for Sundays, and even then there are sudden bursts of customers that send us in to a frenzy that is more enjoyable than most would expect. Fellow Associates help each other and really stand next to and for each other during any difficult. By far, this has to be my most favorite job that I've had in a while.
Fun and fast paced
Line Cook / Cashier / Back of the House / Barista (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 6, 2016
I got to work with a great crew of employees and great staff managers. I learned how to work on a food kitchen line consisting of preparing specialty sandwiches, soups, salads, and specialty drinks. It was fast paced work and demanding in the sense of the product of my work's quality.
Pros
Perfect fit scheduling
Friendly home style cafe culture
Associate/Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJuly 6, 2016
At Panera Bread, you receive a variety of different customers. Some will be regular customers and already know what they wish to consume. The managers are helpful in terms of flexibility in means of assistance if needed. My coworkers work as a team some are a little more knowledgeable than others . The hardest part was I found was the closing process, making sure everything is clean and accessible for morning shift but eventually, that became easier. I think the most enjoyable part of working at Panera Bread is meeting different people and being able to donate unconsumed bread to the local high school.
Productive workplace, enjoyed this job
Baker (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 6, 2016
I worked 3rd shift as a baker. This was a great job, but I didn't stay long as I was in school and going from working 10-am and having to be at school at 7:30 was taking a toll on me so I had to leave. If I had a chance to go back here, I would. I really enjoyed this job.
I learned alot about the baking process and everything that needed to be done before product went out to the customers.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
interfered with my school, so I had to quit
Catering: Poor compensation and employee appreciation
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 5, 2016
Unless you suck up to the manager and become best friends, there is no moving up. Raises only come once a year and are never over $0.25. Higher ups only care about more profit but don't motivate or even supply proper space/tools to increase business. Drains your will to live.
Pros
Get tips and mileage
Cons
The tips sucks, Have to use own car without upkeep expenses or ticket reimbursement, Horrible/unpredictable hours, No commission/mandatory tips on large orders
Good first time job
TEAM LEAD / ASSOCIATE TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJuly 5, 2016
Co-workers make working at Panera much more enjoyable. It can be a fast-paced job during lunch rushes and you learn a lot about dealing with various types of people. The management is the best I've dealt with.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Fun place to work with great people
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJuly 5, 2016
This was by far the best place I have ever worked. The team of managers that they had was top notch. Overall if was very enjoyable working there.
Favorites played
Assistant Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJuly 5, 2016
Worked for company for 13 years, in various capacities from associate to Assistant Manager. AM's are treated like glorified associates, having to run the store as well as work alongside. Advancement happens if you kiss up to the right people, otherwise they will work to get rid of you. They encourage a culture of AM's backstabbing others in order to get ahead. They do not care about customers at all -- only about internal numbers. One of the only companies to track labor by hours and not by sales %, and labor allowances are ridiculously low. Schedules for AMs are all over the place -- start as early as 4am and sometimes leave as late as 2am. Give you lots to do with no guidance how to do it. Lots of favoritism from district managers towards certain AMs/GMs and if you're not a favorite, you will get pushed out. Certain AMs can get away with being an hour+ late repeatedly yet they'll use punctuality by being 5 minutes late as a reason to let people go. Complaining to HR only makes you a target and will increase your chances that you'll get let go. Mandatory 50 hour work week, yet it usually goes to 55-60 because entire company is short-staffed all the time. But, if you go over in your hours because you were helping staff instead of doing your job, then you're the one with the problem, not the structure of the organization. If this review sounds bitter, it's because it's a warning to others who think this sounds like a wholesome company.

If you want to give your entire life up to a company that likes to appear good to customers and yet treats their employees horribly, this
  more... is the place for you.  less
Pros
great hourly staff
Cons
management culture, long hours, very little respect from upper management
Nice workplace, nice people to work with
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 5, 2016
Delivering food to customers was nice, it's a nice feeling. I learned about organization. My co-workers were cool people to work with.
Pros
Tip money after every shift
Cons
No advancements or raises, terrible management, not a good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLJuly 5, 2016
Panera Bread is one of the worst companies to work for. You get terrible hours (if any) unless the manager likes you, then they will schedule you overtime regardless of your skills. They don't train new hires and just throw them on positions and tell them to figure it out.
Pros
50% off once on the days you work
Cons
environment, management, everything
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOJuly 4, 2016
The management makes sure you are fully prepared to begin each work day. There is flexibility in schedules. You have opportunities to move forward in the company if you work hard.
Pros
Discounts, Great Managers, Wounderful work enviroment
No room to move up.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNJuly 4, 2016
I did enjoy my years working at panera but it was always a competition for hours and I never felt like they wanted to promote good employees. I want a company that I can move up in and succeed.
I love Panera bread
Dining room / BOH (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTJuly 4, 2016
Their were honest good workers, until they hired some clueless people, which is why I left both times. I would still like to work there again at their new store. I know the ropes. I was hoping to be promoted, I know more even after leaving the company. Which will give me the edge I need now.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
There are none.
High quality foods with standards to match.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAJuly 4, 2016
Panera's daily management shift requires travel paths to be done every 15 to 20 minutes to ensure café cleanliness. Labor tracking is done by the hour using chart thresholds and all shift administration work is only done during non peak hours. Peak hour managers are on the floor supervising the line and bakery providing assistance to associates and providing exceptional guest services. Not a fast paced environment in comparison to most casual dining restaurants.
Managers have there own area of responsibility such as Food Cost Specialist, Scheduling, Training Specialist. Most of the associates are High School to first year college students. They have high energy and are a lot of fun to be around, great team to work with. The most difficult part of the job is keeping the labor in check. While being well staffed for peak periods provides great service and increases sales this also can be your worst nightmare when sales are low this will cause your labor to climb quickly and go over your daily chart number. Deciding to cut some of you staff is tricky and risky this is a daily challenge. Panera has it's strong and weak points as does any business, but what makes it worth while are the friendly guests and the associates who make it worth going to work everyday. A lot of the guests that frequent Panera are regular guests. This atmosphere makes it feel more like a second family and you truly look forward to spending time with the people you are surrounded by.
Pros
2 vacations a year with good benifits.
Cons
No sick time, High management and associate turnovers.