Panera Bread
2,497 reviews

Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Panera Bread
Joint Venture Certified Training General Manager (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Growth
Cons: Quality of life
Panera Bread has been a great company to work for and has taught me very much over the years. I have grown from an hourly associate to the highest level within the café and have done so with much pride in my job and the company. The position has given me experiences ranging from relationship building, marketing, human resources, all the way to profit management and everything in between.
Did not enjoy working at THIS Panera Bread
LINE COOK (Former Employee), FLJuly 15, 2015
Plays favorites and denies new employees work hours. I only received 2 pay checks the whole time I worked there because they refused to give me hours.
Productive and friendly environment
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), La Verne, CAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: discount on food, holiday parties, contests
Cons: no opportunity for job growth
Being an associate trainer, I was in charge of training new employees, and upholding Panera Standards within the staff on a daily basis. Since this was my first job, I learned everything I know about hard work and discipline. I learned a lot about the food industry, and how to properly handle food. Over the last 5 years, I worked with over 20 different managers, all of whom trusted me to get my job done efficiently. I have had manager training and worked side by side with managers to learn what jobs they uphold day-to-day. My coworkers have been some of my best friends over the years, and I couldn't have asked for better coworkers. The hardest part of my job was handling customer complaints. Although I always handled them promptly and respectfully. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work with my friends everyday.
Great atmosphere
dishwasher/busser, runner (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Great work envirement
Cons: Lunch Rush
Each day was always new when meeting people. I learned how to manage a cash register, make and cook sandwiches, professionally greet customers. The management team is always on point and co-workers are great to work with. Rushes can be stressful but working as a team, the lunch rush wasn't a problem. Meeting new people and getting to know them.
Fun work place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Canton, OHJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Healthcare
Great job, happy with the partners and store manager. Long days and require you to be available everyday of the week. Great benefits and help with your college education.
Fun, friendly environment to work
Line cook / back of house dish washer (Former Employee), Plymouth MaJuly 14, 2015
Pros: discount on food and chance to get into Panera stocks
Cons: long shifts of dish washing
A typical day at work would be, walking in getting ready in the back room and going to the station that i was assigned that day. Wether it be line cook for dish washer for the day. My time at Panera bread i learned how to make some of the food they serve there as well as washing several hundred dishes and cleaning everything beforre leaving. My co-workers were incredibly friendly and nice people always excited to see each other walk in for their shifts. The hardest part of my job was probably the washing several hundred dishes continuously within a certain time limit so you could leave. There were always more dishes coming in and sometimes during the rush hour of lunch there wasnt enough and you had to strain to go into over drive to get the dishes out there when needed. But the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to cook some of the food and get it to the people.
Fun workplace
Bakery-Cafe Associate, (Current Employee), Florham Park, NJJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: very few hours sometimes
I love working at Panera Bread, my co-workers are very friendly. Te managers are very professionals, they really treat the employees really well. I enjoy working there
Bakery-Cafe Associates (Current Employee), Shelton, CTJuly 13, 2015
A very lighthearted and enjoyable place to work. Co-workers are very friendly, the management is very professional and supportive. The work is straight forward.
Very relaxing environment.
Team Member (Former Employee), Owings Mills, MDJuly 13, 2015
A typical day at Panera Bread for me was good. I expected to be overwhelmed some days but it was okay knowing that I had a team to always back me up. I learned that organization, cleanliness, and hard work really does pay off. Management at the time when I was working there was actually sub par. I will say that a few managers actually did good for the company. I'm sorry but the head manager wasn't truly a good leader in my opinion. My coworkers were all interesting. Some were really vulgar and didn't even care about the customer. The job was simply to make money but I knew who was there to really do good (especially now since I just visited Panera Bread last week and things were in much better conditions). The most challenging part of the job was coping with fellow employees. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of working at Panera Bread was cleaning up and taking home food that wasn't "fresh" at the end of the day.
Great Company, Always 40 Hours.
Cashier - Full Time (Former Employee), Denton, TXJuly 12, 2015
Lots of hard work, always plenty of hours, and training practices are excellent. Advancement through positions is very slow, but understandable.
Fast paced
Production team (Current Employee), Tyler, TXJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Great associates, quality food
Cons: As business slowed, so did the amount of hours everyone received.
Great place to work for a college student. Met people my age and gained valuable work experience. Developed a servants mentality and humble work ethic.
Decent starter job
Associate (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Good training, Great scheduling, friendly staff and customers
Cons: Limited growth, occasional crazy customers
I started working for Panera around the age of 16. It was my first job.

The training was decent. I spent the first week or so watching videos and taking tests on a computer. After that, I was moved onto "the line" where the sandwiches, soups and salads are made. I had a trainer walk me through everything until I was comfortable. Never once was I thrown into a situation or given a task that I wasn't first trained for and never once was I ashamed to ask questions when I wasn't sure how to handle a certain situation.

The hours were pretty good. I was a high school student at the time, so I was unable to work during school hours and preferred not to close on weekday nights, as I wouldn't get home until almost 11 at night leaving no time for homework and hardly enough sleep before school the next day. The managers were very understanding and would only schedule me for weekends. On weekdays that I WAS scheduled, I was not asked to start until roughly 4:30 P.M. (ample time to get home from school and change into my uniform) and was only scheduled to work until around 8:30 or 9 P.M. When it comes to requesting certain days off, I the managers were also very good. As long as I requested the day off within a reasonable amount of time (1 - 2 weeks before hand), I usually was given the day off.

The people were great. One of Panera's rules is "no jerks". This means everyone you work with is actually fun to be around. We did have a couple of "less than friendly" people sneak through the interview process and get the job, but they didn't last long. Despite leaving Panera – more... almost 3 years ago, I'm still friends with a lot of people I worked with there.

The one downside to Panera was that there was little room for growth. I worked there for five years and always maintained the same number of hours. I was only trained to work the line and wash dishes despite my request to be trained in the bakery. This limited the total number of hours I was able to work in a week. The "pay raises" I also received while working there were less than significant. I started working for what was minimum wage at the time. When I finally got my first raise, it was only because minimum wage had gone up. This was the pattern for the next three or four pay raises. By the time I had left Panera, five years later, I was making more money, but only because the state of Illinois said they had to. My salary only went up when minimum wage did.

Customers are night and day. When I say this, I mean that their either the nicest people you will ever meet, or absolutely crazy. There's a lot of regulars that come in. You get to know their name. They get to know you. Often times we would have orders ready for certain customers before they even came in because they were so well known in the store. On the other hand, because Panera is on the more expensive side of "fast food", there are people that will go ballistic on you for the smallest reason. I once made a turkey sandwich for a customer and forgot to put onions on it. Honest mistake. Instead of coming up to the counter and saying "Excuse me, I think you forgot the onions. Can I please have some?" he walked up to the counter, asked for the "idiot that made his sandwich". I approached and asked if I could help him. He pulled out his phone, snapped my picture, and told me he was going to send in a complaint about me to someone higher and that he hoped I was fired. Needless to say, the managers understood that it was an honest mistake and that this certain individual must have just been having a bad day. Incidents like this should not reflect poorly on Panera, as you will deal with customers like this in any customer service job, but it does happen.

All in all, a pretty great place for a student looking for a part time job as long as your aren't expecting to be making huge amounts of money. – less
run store
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2015
fast environment, really easy... good people and good work ethic, always OT at of hours provided as well, but could be a little stressful.
Is a good starter job.
Associate Trainer (Current Employee), Hixson, TnJuly 10, 2015
Panera Bread is a good starter job but it is not a career path that I would recommend. Some of the mangers at the Panera I work at should not be mangers as some take the position to the extreme where as some do not have a back bone to help out the associates.
Great ideology and concept...
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee), Bloomsburg, PAJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Great balance of life and work, competitive salary and friendly atmosphere. Always changing for customer/society needs in menu.
Cons: Constant menu changes cause confusion and anger for customers.
Throughout my training at another Cafe I absolutely enjoyed the work experience.....An extremely great atmosphere, family like from management all the way through to the associates and bakers. Once I transferred to my home cafe it was a totally different feel. The staff were all on point, but the GM made it such a horrible place to work (this GM had just transferred to the cafe shortly before I arrived). The company policy of no smoking on the premises (unless in your own vehicle) is pushed upon employees, but the GM would run out every 30 minutes to smoke out the back door, it mattered not the business going on in the cafe. If you spoke up about anything against the GM, it was made very clear by GM that she could make it so you didn't have a job--to both associates and Assistant Managers. The JVDM had been notified and instead of addressing the situation just had other managers transferred to other cafes, as they were deemed the problem, not the GM (an existing friendship between said GM and JVDM exists). Again, that is THIS particular cafe, other cafes I have worked at (while covering other managers vacations) fully embody the Cultural Values and Concept Essence that this brand endorses. I LOVED my associates I had working for me it but it was very difficult to keep associates when they were constantly dogged by our GM. The job itself is very rewarding, you get a lot of repeat guests that I enjoyed conversing with
Family-like Synergy, Team orientated
Bakery-Café Associate/Associate Trainer (Current Employee), Rego Park, NYJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Half price off food, Fun place
Cons: Short breaks, scheduling
A typical day consisted of a morning, lunch and evening group of customers. I learned to think and plan ahead and thought of myself as my own manager and manager of my area. I also learned about how important teamwork is and when The hardest part of the job was when we were understaffed on a busy day. My coworkers were great and were one of the reasons I looked forward to coming to work. They were very helpful when I needed assistance and made my job easier. The management was good for the most part. They had their conflicts but it quickly settled. I feel that my inter-personal skills improved while working there because I had the opportunity to interact with the public.
frun place to work but hours are random
Part-time Associate (Current Employee), La PlataJuly 10, 2015
This Panera is a fun place to work a lot of great workers and managers but the hours that you receive are very spontaneous at best. i have had a pay period were i received 32 hours one week and 12 the next.
Okay place.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 10, 2015
Co workers were, but lots of stuff we would run out of on the production line. Many people would get upset cause we couldn't make what they wanted on the menu.
Decent company to work for.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Branson, MOJuly 9, 2015
I am thankful I was able to gain so much experience in management through this company. The only thing I did not like was how it seemed you absolutely had to kiss up to your boss to get ahead and that was more important than putting in hard work.
Fun and productive place
Cashier (Current Employee), Dunwoody, GAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: pay
the job is cool the staff and mangers. Atypical day at work is busy and heatic but the team is able to still laugh and smile. I enjoy talking with customers and making them smile.

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more

Panera Bread Salaries