Panera Bread
1,842 reviews

Panera Bread Employer Reviews

As a former employee, I feel bad for anyone that works for this company.
Associate (Former Employee), Hanover, MANovember 6, 2014
Pros: 65% discount on product, smoke breaks.
Cons: very hard to get full time, poor management, half-assed work, not flexible at all with hours, typical "fast food" work ethics.
I admit, I'm not always the timeliest, or the most polite, and I can't always help but show when I get overwhelmed. I'm a human. My problem with this company is you're trained to be a robot of "the system". My issue is, no, the customer is NOT always right. If you're confronted and being screamed at by a customer because their soup wasn't piping hot, – more... you had to sit there and take it. I learned a lot about dealing with a fast paced work environment, and how to handle your emotions, and handle mostly unpleasant customers, which is great...

Honestly I have nothing good to say about working for this company and I can't even pretend that I do. After being there around a year and a half, it affected my personal mental health. It was constant chaos, management had NO control over how to keep their employees happy, and from what I've read on reviews, they can't keep their customers happy either. My general manager was not big into getting their hands dirty, and until a couple months before I walked out on my shift, never once helped us out when our times got unbearable, and half of the management hated their jobs and took it out on employees.
Five months into working for this company, one of my managers mentioned in front of my coworkers that she thought I was "dropped on my head as a baby", and nothing was ever done about the situation aside from a formal apology. I dealt with someone that was so far from a team player that myself, and my coworkers were all sure they hated all of us, and one that couldn't seem to control their tempter... For example this particular manager had screamed at me a couple of times simply for asking them a question during a stressful dinner rush, bringing me to tears.
My coworkers were all wonderful, but mostly freshman in highschool, and this was their first job.

The company has amazing ideas, and mostly healthy food, and an okay following. My problem is that near the end of my days there, nobody was pulling their weight anymore, and management did absolutely nothing to rectify the problem. From what I understand my store is not the only one experiencing these issues, leading to multiple workers walking out mid-shift, and workers finishing a day, and then just never showing up again.

On one other note, I asked for about five months if I could pick up a day shift here and there, or maybe move to days instead of all nights and weekends, and it never happened. I spent the entire time I worked there working from 4 pm, to a scheduled 10 pm that turned into sometimes 12-1 am on weeknights and every single weekend because of the aforementioned issues. It was exhausting and stressful.

There was nothing enjoyable about this job except for the occasional decent customer.

Extremely unprofessional. – less
Learning Experience
Line Associate / Living Consciously Captain (Former Employee), Waterford, CTNovember 6, 2014
Food Handling
Line Worker/ Line Step up
Great Co-workers
Working with Food Shelters
Feeding Homeless
Love the company culture
Baker Trainer (Current Employee), Frederick, MDNovember 6, 2014
Pros: free panera food, awesome coworkers, great culture, passion especially among bakers
Cons: pay-not enough for amount of work expected of us, franchise-upward mobility is unclear and unorganized, corporate- managment is excessive & highly critical
I have worked for Panera both in corporate and in franchise. It was hard for me to give ratings because somethings are better in corporate such as job advancement while in franchise I have found my experience with management to be better, better as in more relaxed, there is not as much pressure but at the same time I feel that because of the lack of – more... pressure our products are not as good.

I love working for Panera though. Everyone I have worked with has been awesome. Just very cool interesting people. As a night baker/baker trainer I am part of the older crowd that works there. During the day it's mostly teenagers.

The hardest part of the job for me is the amount of work expected of us. This all depends on the cafe you work at and how busy it is some cafes are very easy and some cafes sale a lot of product and yet we all get paid the same.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the baking it is challenging and yet very rewarding. I love seeing all the product that I have baked being sold in the store and I take a lot of pride in the quality and look of my bake as well as getting to see those first few customers order something that I've created. – less
Independent work environment.
Lead Baker (Former Employee), Parker, CONovember 5, 2014
Pros: supportive management staff.
Cons: limited ability to advance within the company.
Panera Bread was a great learning environment with extremely supportive staff/management. While working there, because I worked every night alone, I learned how to micromanage my own time, problem solve, how to self motivate, and how to effectively work completely independently.
Productive Work Place
Bakery Sales Associate (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VANovember 5, 2014
A typical day was very busy. I learned customer is always right. Management is not very appreciative of job well done. Co workers are great.
Great environment with respectful customers, easy to work with managers
Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 5, 2014
Pros: 85% discount on lunch break, very generous with sweets and bread when you close
Cons: lack of preparation and lack of cordination at times
I consistently displayed strong multitask skills, ability to receive and apply directions in a fast timely manner, Ability to work under pressure constantly
Busy atmosphere, often challenging
Opening Bakery Cashier (Former Employee), Smyrna, TNNovember 4, 2014
Pros: interacting with customers, working in the bakery
Cons: constant schedule changes, often without notice; physically demanding
Working as the opening cashier at Panera Bread is a challenging and busy job. Everything needs to be set up in the morning since everything is freshly baked and brewed. The entire bakery needs to be set up in a pleasing manner, several flavors of coffee brewed and registers ready to go. There is a morning rush and a lunch rush for the morning cashier – more... that requires interaction with customers with efficiency and accuracy. The hardest part of my job was keeping everything clean, presentable and restocked while handling customers efficiently. I enjoyed it all! – less
very professional
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Norcross, GANovember 4, 2014
clerical such as filing faxing answering calls. Good environment to work for
Cashier (Former Employee), Miami, FLNovember 3, 2014
It was safe and very social. My most enjoyment part of my job was talking to the customers.
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Powell, OHNovember 3, 2014
working on the line with food prep
opening shop
cleaning
assisting with inventory helping unload the truck
Fun Workplace
Cashier, Line Cook & Barista (Former Employee), Canton, MDNovember 3, 2014
Pros: tasting new food, making new friends
Cons: healthcare
A typical day at Panera involved cashiers helping customers decide from the menu on what they wanted and explaining in detail what the item consisted of. Working at Panera was a learning expirence, I learned that you have to be patient with customers such as a random person could come in having a horrible day and just by showing you care can change – more... their whole day. The management and my fellow coworkers were great to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job was tasting new products before it made the menu and the hardest part of the job was learning to multitask from cashier to line cook. – less
Great employees and management
Associate (Current Employee), Reynoldsburg, OHNovember 2, 2014
Management is amazing and amazing work staff. The setup for starting the job gets you excited to work there and is followed up by a fun and friendly environment to work.
Fun environment and excellent managers and co-workers!
Sales Associate/Catering Coordinator (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 31, 2014
Pros: great environment.
Cons: low pay, no benefits.
Enjoyed working there. Started as a Sales Associate and was promoted to Catering Coordinator.
All Work, No Play - Awesome Workplace
Production Lead (Current Employee), Stockton, CAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: friendly staff
This workplace is more of a family environment and is excelling to the top really quick. The management team is very attentive and very helpful.
Meet alot of great people, learn alot of new things
Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 31, 2014
Pros: meet great people, learn a lot
Cons: no lunch break, long hours, irregular schedule
The work hours are long and irregular, however you meet a lot of great people and learn a lot of new things.
Inviting atmoshpere.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, good employee discount, decent hours.
Cons: no rubber floor mats, sore feet, little variation from day to day.
A typical day at Panera Bread includes taking orders and delivering food to tables. I have learned to deal with a variety of personalities in both fellow employees and customers. The management team does what ever needs to be done to help the whole team ensure the customers have a great experience. The hardest part of the job is being on your feet for – more... hours on the hard floor and carrying the heavy food trays. The most enjoyable part of working at Panera Bread is interacting with the customers and getting to know them. I have met quite a few very interesting and fun people while working at Panera Bread. – less
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Roswell, GAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: food discount, good hours
Cons: short breaks, no benefits, low pay
A typical day at work is very face paced, time went by very fast here.
I learned about different types of foods and how to prepare them.
Management is very friendly and willing to help.
My co- workers were fun to work with, were willing to learn when i teach.
The hardest part about the job was having tons of orders at one time, getting the orders prepared – more... rite and out in three minutes or less.
The most enjoyable part of the job was everyone was nice and loved to start conversations, staff and guests. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Certified trainer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 30, 2014
Pros: we get 65% off for our discount
Cons: we get short breaks
I love working at Panera! It 's such a friendly environment to work in. When you first walk into work there isn't one person that doesn't say hi to you. Everyone is hardworking and focused on everything they are working on. The best part of working at Panera is seeing the smile on our customers faces. The whole point of working at Panera Bread is putting – more... smiles on our customers faces. Customers come first to us and the customer is always right. Our #1 rule at Panera is to break all rules that are necessary to satisfy our customers. – less
teenager
Cashier (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 29, 2014
Cool job for a teenager. I enjoyed the flexiable hours right after school to the money
Great workplace.
Supervisor- Misha Little (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great food.
Cons: more customers than staff.
I loved being a trainer because I was able to be one on one with my co-workers and teach them great customer service skills that ive learned over the years.

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more