Panera Bread
1,912 reviews

Panera Bread Employer Reviews

Productive, Friendly, Easy going, Approachable, Responsible, Leader, B
Shift leader for café's bakery (Former Employee), Wheaton, ILDecember 29, 2014
Pros: a short break here and there
Cons: short hours
Responsible for the customers experience is very important which takes being knowledgable, being fast pace, accurate, and good at what ever it is you're doing. Staying focused and helping others is very important, and being aware of your surroundings. Mangers in my opinion, firstly always act professional, and stay focused on work. When I talk to a manger I expect them to be helpful, a resource to me, understanding, caring for their workers. My co-workers preferably should be organized, helpful, friendly, reliable, on time, and like myself go above and beyond in any work environment. I don't like work to be a social hour. When I go to work I expect to work, and it's hard when others don't see it that way. I enjoy the rewarding feeling of work at the end of each day as long as I know, and others know I always do my best.
Work with a wide variety of people, fun, fast paced
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Colonial Heights, VaDecember 28, 2014
Over the 8 years working for the company I worked at three different stores, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Virginia is the location of my home store. I had the pleasure of meeting a wide variety of people. Despite the fast paced environment we still managed to have fun and enjoy one another through both difficult and easy times. Working with this company helped me grow as an individual. The management I had the joy of working with were caring individuals, they were like the parents of the Panera family. Every store I left, I had a strong bond with the managers that ran it. The most difficult part of the job would have been taking leaps to try and make a customer happy but nothing you do seems to satisfy them. The biggest lesson I walked away with while working for the company would be compassion for others.
its a really fast paced job
Line Cook (Former Employee), Conroe, TXDecember 27, 2014
its a pretty hard job to get used to you have to make the orders that are sometimes complicated in 4 min or less. Management was good. my co-workers were also welcoming. the hardest part was memorizing all the sandwiches and salads.
Fairly easy job, but I had a particularly bad manager who was fired after I had left the job
Bus person; counter server; pantry cook (Former Employee), Macon, GADecember 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches, easy-to-memorize menus
Cons: bad managers
A typical day at work involved coming in an hour before lunch, just as the rate of incoming customers began to increase. Panera's system allows it to easily serve food to a large number of customers at the same speed of any other fast food restaurant. However, the setting and manner of service seemed to cause most customers to feel as if they were not in a fast food restaurant. They would often be surprised with how fast the food came out as they were either unaware or unconcerned with the fact that Panera Bread is indeed a fast food restaurant. One customer called beforehand to reserve a booth. The manager yelled at her, which I thought was a bad move because we lost a customer for no reason as there were a number of booths available. But, the manager insisted that the restaurant maintain the attitude of a walk-in fast food joint, which I would presume is against the company's intent. The restaurant was most certainly a fast food restaurant disguised as a fine diner.
Overall, the job was fairly easy. The hardest part was memorizing the sandwich names and their associated ingredients, which took less than a day because most of the names were straightforward. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the pleasantly surprised expressions of new customers who received their meal earlier than they expected.
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Powell, OHDecember 26, 2014
Productive and fun place to work. All smiles with plenty styles. Shikes!
High expectations, decent advancement
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, WADecember 25, 2014
I typically work Monday-Friday early morning (5AM-6AM) until early afternoon (1:30PM-2:30PM). I have learned a lot of great skills with my job, especially with being a catering coordinator. I have also had the opportunity to open three stores, one of which I currently work at. I have learned a tremendous amount about the restaurant industry, as well higher end catering industry.

Management is a hit and miss. I don't see many managers that have any educational background which sometimes shows in their performance. I do love the fact they make you feel like family.

Co-workers are decent. Currently at our cafe we have a lot of newer employees who are not as skilled as what I am used to, which can at times become a burden.

The hardest part of my job would be the stress it adds having to cater to clients who are unorganized and order at the last minute. It is extremely discouraging to know that there are people that forget about their meetings and require meals for a large group last minute while I have many other orders to attend to.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the schedule, as well as the community that I feel I belong to at Panera Bread. The managers that I have now are very close to me, and I appreciate their hard work tremendously. I have made a lot of good relationships through this job. I also enjoy helping customers with their needs, as stressful as it may be. Most are always very thankful, and that makes me feel good about myself and the work I do.
Voilital Workplace
Zone Leader (Current Employee), East Greenbush, NYDecember 23, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: respect is an issue
Easy, monotonous sandwich making.
Ease of work completely dependent on management.
Family orienated business with good values
Food Preparation Crew Member (Current Employee), Newport News, VADecember 22, 2014
Pros: 65% off ur food
Cons: not enough hours for employees
family orientated business with a fun environment a typical work day is very fast paced. I have learned a lot about customer service and how to adhere to customer needs. Management are all down to earth people with each having their own area of expertise. Their is nothing really hard about the it is explained and layed out as simple as it can be. I enjoy the interaction among the people at work.
Good work place
Food line/Cashier (Current Employee), scherevilleDecember 20, 2014
It is an ok place,the most enjoyable part of my job is my co workers and customers. Management can be a little better.
great customers service
Dining Room Assistant/ dishwasher (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCDecember 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
Working for Panera was fun I enjoy talking to the customers. I got along with management and co-workers. my hardest part was the line. I learn how to clean the dinning and wash dish at the same in timely matter which means i was the only one who could of keep the dish area clean and dinning clean threw rush hour and still help out threw out the store weather they needed me on the line or cashier or just getting them something.
Working for panera bread was allot of work, but fun and verry interactive.
Certified Trainer (Former Employee), Aurora, CODecember 19, 2014
Pros: building relationships with people i would not have met outside of panera bread.
Cons: relationships outside of work interfered with the work enviroment.
Panera Bread was flexible with my schedule while I was still obtaining another job. Panera Bread allowed me to meet many interesting people, both customers and co-workers. Panera bread was typically busy and stressful. But my job as the team leader was to make sure everything was done correctly and to work together. I learned that that even through the hardest moments. If you have a happy team that works together, you can overcome anything. The hardest part of my job was to except that some people did not value their job. there for did not care for the proper way of doing things, or doing anything at all. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the customers and receiving positive feedback from them. Working for Panera Bread was hard work but I was proud to train and lead my fellow co-workers.
high paced
ASSOCIATE TRAINER (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2014
Pros: a job
Cons: no overtime
i worked for panera for almost five years and the managers didnt ever really manage unless there was a problem. the employees and associate trainers were expected to handle the brunt of he load so all of the employess were a big team. I learned better problem solving skills and how to lead. the hardest part of the job had to be like any other customer service job, bad customers. the best part of the job is the repeat customers
Panera
Associate (Former Employee), Sterling Heights, MIDecember 18, 2014
Pros: seeing happy customers
Cons: management
A typical day at Panera Bread involved me working the register, or working in the drive through. I usually was the person who talked over the speaker and took peoples orders, or was a cashier. The management there was not very strong due to them picking favorites. My co-workers were fun to be around and we always worked off of each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was making customer connections.
Great job for teens
Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 17, 2014
Cons: only free fountain drinks
bad management, great co-workers, many dinner rushes, very demanding customers
Always a party, Character and Host (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, NYDecember 17, 2014
Pros: 65% off food
Cons: short breaks
Usually a fair day at work with peak times and lunch rushes but it was not too difficult to keep up.
I wouldnt
JVP (Current Employee), St. LouisDecember 17, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
What the company advertises as a great company to work for is insane. There is so much underhanded maneuvers and backstabbing going on it is ridiculous. Upper management - sitting at the office- has no idea how a café really operates. Plus, our advertising company actually FIRED US. Yes, they fired Panera Bread: "too difficult to work with" The $100 million dollars a year we paid them wasn't enough for all of the runaround that they had to put up with. What does that tell you???!!
Great high school job
Line Leader (Former Employee), Springfield, OHDecember 17, 2014
Great first job for somebody part time in high school or young in college. They provide room for growth within the company and ther want you to have balance between work and life.
Bread Heads!
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Aberdeen, MDDecember 16, 2014
Preparing Pastries and serving customers.
I learned how to make bread.
Management was, strict but personable. Extremely conscientious.
Co-worker were up beat and positive.
Hardest part of the job was following the strict guidelines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the food!
scatterbrained management and understaffing
Associate Manager In Training (Current Employee), Reynoldsburg, OHDecember 14, 2014
Pros: you might get paid, but not on time
Cons: often make you work without breaks, and forget eating
if you are looking for a job that makes you feel like you have zero real world experience let alone a degree because to them that means nothing they treat all their employees like they are 16 and think they can get away with any kind of behavior

never know if you are going to get paid on time, even though its a franchise and they should have their stuff together

what i learned its better to just leave because you will not get anywhere in this job, they do not promote from within let alone report on positive employees who show promise and have been there for years.

hardest part of the job? staying there.
easiest? leaving.

coworkers are understaffed and overworked often work 10-12hr shifts without breaks.
Very fast paced work enviroment
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLDecember 13, 2014
Pros: discounted food
Cons: have to put up with rumors and gossip
Easy to start out. I was only a cashier, but then I grew with the company and became a trainer. I would train all the new people on cashier, making drinks, maintaining the dining room, cleaning back of the house, preparing and making the food, even opening and closing the bakery, or the make line, and phone orders. I was making my way into catering, once I found out there were no openings my next goal was shift manager. I ran into issues with a certain co-worker and was not happy. The management was very poor, they showed favoritism and it showed on the schedule. Some co-workers were nice but mostly consisted of attitudinal teenagers still in high school. Gossip and rumors spread throughout the work environment, which is not suitable. Hardest part was just making it there, there is no difficulty in the job description itself. Only real required work was to make it there on time, and was even harder on those who didn't have a car. Most enjoyable part was only the regular customers who put a smile on your face.

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more