Panera Bread
2,391 reviews

Panera Bread Employee Reviews

panera
Associate Trainer (Current Employee), Homewood, ILJune 7, 2015
It was a fun and challenging work environment. My coworkers were easy to get along with and I met many nice people on a day to day basis.
fun place to work
Bakery Operation Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, VTJune 7, 2015
great Job and fellow associates are great to work with and for - upper Management VERY questionable, would not trust them as far as i can throw them. no loyalty.
Great company Franchise needs work
Night Baker (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 7, 2015
Pros: less distractions working third shift, bread when you need it, vacation days after your first year
Cons: over work common, sudden shifts in workload with no help, managers not always responsive to contact
Each night I would come in and assess my tasks for the night, prepare bread and sweets, bake them and finish the product for morning. Clean and stock my area and often order supplies for the week.
In the beginning it was a lot of fun and I got to work with some really great people. The work was work but still enjoyable.
As time went on, work changed, the time consuming items were added and more work volume was increased steadily and the workforce was not increased to compensate.
Add to this the fact that managers became less and less concerned with how the bakers were dealing with the work increase. What tools they needed to do their job, or what equipment needed repair.
Sometimes even boldly displaying blatant malicious attitudes toward the bakers under them.
I learned a lot about large scale baking. It also improved my time management skills.

I love the food, I love the company's ethics in it's relation to the community.
However they need to review the way their essential employees are worked. Without the bakers there is no bread in Panera Bread. Something they need to be reminded of.
Fun Place to Work
Bakery/Café Associate (Former Employee), York, PAJune 6, 2015
A typical day a Panera Bread would start with putting on ones hat and apron and clocking in. Then one would count his or her draw to make sure that it is at the correct amount to start. Then one would sign into a register and begin to ring if there is a line or look around to see what needs to be cleaned up in the store. I improved my people skills as to how to talk to costumers and make connections with them. I also learned better time management skills and how to multi-task. The management is very easy to get along with and fun to work with. They respect there employees, but if you do something against policy or not up to the standards of Panera bread they will talk to you about it and find a solution to the problem. The co-workers are fun to work with everyone gets along and its kind of like having a family when ones not at home. The hardest part of the job is closing the store while trying to balance still ringing people in. The most enjoyable part of the job is forming friendships with your co-workers as well as the customers who are regulars to the store. The regulars will come in and ask you about your day and how you've been, the connections you have with them are something to look forward to when going to work.
Fast paced restaurant
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Woodhaven. MIJune 5, 2015
Pros: good pay, good benefits, free food
Cons: revolving shifts, 50-60 hours week
Panera Bread was in my field of study since I do have a BA in Management. I felt after working for the company over the course of 2 years, it was not a good fit for me long-term. Management was very good, but I found working in a fast-paced restaurant was indeed something I could handle, but would not be fulfilled with.

I open the store @ 5am, which meant that my shift would end around 2pm & I did feel working early days would not hinder my quality of life. However, restaurant managers switch back and forth to night shifts too. I enjoyed serving the public, but I did not enjoy the revolving hours. I preferred working the same hours and I did not enjoy working more than 40 hours because it meant that my personal time with family would be cut short.
Very Busy, Yet Fun Enviroment
Associate (Current Employee), Deer Park, ILJune 4, 2015
Working here can be very stressful, but some of the people you meet and work with make it worthwhile. Our Café is one of the busier ones.
Difficult work with few rewards
Certified Trainer (Current Employee), Clarksburg, WVJune 4, 2015
Pros: 50% off lunch, great co-workers
Cons: No paid Time Off, no healthcare, difficult work
I am a "Floater" at Panera Bread, and I often work in multiple areas every day. I know how to prep the food and assemble it quickly. I clean the dining area of dirt off tables, and take out garbage, and remove dishes from our busing areas. I can ring people out and take orders on the phone. The management are nice but super harsh, particularly our district and regional managers, who often ask the impossible of the employees. The worst part of this job is the customers, but it is also the best. Sometimes I'll have a day where all of the people I help are in a bad mood. When I work I try to have a big smile and good disposition even if I'm not doing well; when I have a day with a bunch of mean customers sometimes it seems like I just make them more irritated because I'm happy. On the other side of the coin, I sometimes get just one customer that I help in a small insignificant way, like blocking the men's bathroom door so he can take his four kids to the bathroom without people coming in, and they are so appreciative that I go in the back of house and cry for a minute.
My co-workers are nice, even if they have a lot of home drama that they bring to work. I communicate with them constantly while at work to avoid any misunderstandings in the store.
Productive workplace with many opportunities to advance in ranking.
Associate Trainer, Current (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJune 3, 2015
Great job with higher pay than minimum wage, gives minors a chance to receive and earn more at a young age.I would consider all shifts part time rather than any being full time shifts due to the hours given.
Would definitely recommend
Expert Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 3, 2015
Good upward mobility. Team members were always helpful and so was management. Definitely a good place to work. The clientele are also very decent for the restuarant business.
Vey cool place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), livonia,miJune 3, 2015
Panera Bread's a very fast pace and friendly environment to work in. I was a cashier which gave me the opportunity to build relationships everyday with customers. My co-workers were like family, loved them all. There wasn't a hard day while working at Panera. And the most enjoyable part was seeing the smile on customers faces when they walked in and seen there order waiting on them.
great learning experiences
Baker (Current Employee), Wayne, NJJune 3, 2015
prepare baked inventory for daily sale...
hardest was working this job with a 2nd job
have to know how to work alone
management was fair
Average
Cashier (Current Employee), Groton, CTJune 3, 2015
Pros: Free left over bread
Cons: They waste alot of product, yet state they give to the hungry
Overall average
Disorganized management and not enough training
Overall kind fellow employees
Disorganized environment
Management not all equal with rules
Stressful environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJune 2, 2015
Pros: Decent pay, 70% discount on food while working, 20% discount on food while not working
Cons: Sometimes you don't get a break, spend all day standing, very corporate controlled
I wouldn't reccomend this job unless you enjoy working in food service. It's a very corporate controlled business with customers with elitist attitudes.
very specialized so everything ran smooth
Associate (Former Employee), Lafayette, INJune 2, 2015
Pros: free food, fun atmosphere and coworkers
Cons: scheduling was messing at times
I was trained in every position so my days were usually different, very rarely did I have a typical day. Working there taught me how to multi task in a more efficient way. I got along with almost everyone there, management and coworkers, the only complaint I had would be that the schedule was messy and I never knew what I was going to be doing until my shift started. the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people, coworkers and customers where all mostly college aged so it was easy to meet people.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 2, 2015
Pros: the discount helped a lot
Cons: Short Breaks
I learned how to make their popular Smoothies and Iced Green Tea.
Mostly worked the morning shift with teenagers that brought back lots of memories when I was in High School. My co-workers were all nice and ready to work everyday.
It was okay
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Port Richey, FLJune 2, 2015
Pros: 65% off of food.
Cons: Management never listened, Lack of hours
Honestly the management never listened to me when I said I needed more hours. I complaint multiple times. The only benefit was the three dollar meals. But theres really no room to grow. Its like the managers picked there favorites and it was usually the suck ups instead of the hardest working. I do however love what panera as a company stands for. I will forever be a customer, however not an employee.
a good place to work
Customer Service/Associate Trainer (Current Employee), Augusta, GAJune 1, 2015
co workers were awesome to work with. The customers were overall a joy to know and serve, the company itself needs a little help in concerning for the employees as well as managers.
it was very productive
Line cook, Dishwasher (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJune 1, 2015
Pros: Discounts, & the relationship with some customers
Cons: moving too slow at times
A typical day at Panera, We would have a rush hour around the middle of the day. the Mangers were pretty nice they gave employees a lot of chances if they messed up, or didn't show up to work.
At Panera I learned how to work with dishwashing, how to make Panini's, how to poor soups the proper way, and how to make a variety of different sandwiches & salads.
My co-workers at Panera were pretty ice, there were a lot of arguments that wet on In Panera but the workers always managed to talk it out and never let the petty arguments interfere with the work.
The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep it clean at rush hour, we tried to all keep the times up and have the food made and consolidated by a certain time, while also trying to keep the area clean.
The most enjoyable part was actually rush hour. It was just excited seeing all the people come in through the doors knowing it's time to make the food as fast and as good as we could. After rush hour we always went to the back to check the times and if we beat the times from the day prior every one would be super excited . I love it .
A Loaf of Bread in Every Arm
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Ledyard, CTJune 1, 2015
Pros: Meal discounts; clean environment; great customers
Cons: Extremely busy at times
One of the best jobs I ever had and the first opportunity I had at getting into supervision work. Great customers, co-workers, management, and food.
Exciting and fast pace
Cashier/Trainer (Former Employee), Edgewater, NJMay 31, 2015
I learned that patience is key in the customer service industry. Everyone is different and needs to be addressed in different manners and tones. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing excellent customer service along side delicious food.

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more

Panera Bread Salaries