Papa Murphy's

Papa Murphy's Employer Reviews

A great job... I loved doing sampling
Area Director Of Operations Marketing/Manager (Former Employee), Carson City, NVJune 30, 2014
My Owner was great to work for..
he was very fair and provided a nice work place
Some of it sucked, some of it didn't
Pizza maker (Former Employee), Spanaway, WAJune 28, 2014
Pros: free lunch, good people, pretty wide range of music allowed
Cons: managers that didn't know their job
Our first manager was a tyrant.

Whether or not you got decent hours depended largely on how she felt about you. Typically the boys got more hours than the girls I was told that this was because she felt the girls were more of a threat to her authority, which makes me wonder how she got to a managerial position in the first place. She endorsed nepotism. – more... Several times people were hired when there were barely enough hours to go around. These people were related to her, however distantly. Money often went missing while she was there, and she made whoever was short on their till pay it back out of their paychecks. Later we found out that her nephew was taking money from the tills to support a drug habit. We were never compensated for his theft.

Our second manager was a Goddess.

She knew the store inside and out - knew the people well enough to assign us jobs we would excel at so that the store operated at maximum efficiency. Everyone got a near equal amount of hours. She was communicative and never left work early. She had as much of a 'first in, last out' mentality as one can have in a job where no one is supposed to work more than twelve hours a day. No one ever complained about her. Money very rarely went missing and no one was ever asked to pay it out of their check.

She was transferred to a new store.

My last manager was an idiot.

She had asked for a transfer to our store because we had the highest service rating (hers was near the bottom). Within a week, half the employees that had made our store a well-functioning machine had been transferred to other stores and she drove the others away with incompetence and a bad attitude. She brought three people from her store to ours. They got near forty hour weeks. The rest of us were lucky to see ten. She only sheeted half the dough we normally *need* to get through the day. She would frequently send people home early. Once I got sent home an hour into work, despite the list of rules tacked on the wall less than five feet away saying that once I was at work, she was required to keep me there for two hours. I had two four hour work *weeks* in a row.

I quit. It wasn't worth it – less
easy
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Athens, ALJune 18, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: boring
easy
cool
laid back
fun
nice people
hard part is frustration
best part is fun environment
Work Day
Shift Superviser (Current Employee), 51st and oliveJune 17, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: low pay/hours
At work we stock the line, make the dough, and shred the cheese daily. We provide our customers with both great service and quality food. On the down time we make sure our work environment is clean and presentable to our guests. We also do inventory, customer service, and self evaluations to immprove our store's service.
Fun, easy-going place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 16, 2014
Pros: easy-going, excellent training, breaks provided
Cons: no benefits
Papa Murphy's is a great "first job". It is an easy-going place to work that promotes from within so there are many opportunities for advancement.
Great work environment.
Shift lead- Service food worker (Current Employee), Sandy, UTJune 12, 2014
Pros: you learn great people skills, memorization, cleanliness, having a smile on your face.
Cons: no health benefits, ect. working with younger people.
A typical day at work I would clock in, with my uniform on. My responsibility as a shift lead would to start pre-making pizza crusts for later rush hours, keep the make-line clean and stocked with toppings, making sure other employees were keeping busy (dishes, sweeping, ect). Working at Papa Murphy's so far I've learned that I'm easy to get along with – more... and thoroughly enjoy communicating with the customers on a daily basis. I've also learned to memorize all codes for the register, and I'm able to train every new employee. My co-workers are mostly younger and in high school. The hardest part of the job was the physical labor. (Handling heavy dough crusts and cheese totes) The most enjoyable part of the job was having great conversations with customers, making them feel welcome and over all happy with the experience they had. – less
NA
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Blaine, MNJune 11, 2014
Great place to work and you get to meet a lot of great people. A typical day depends on what area you are assigned to that day.
Awesome people with awesome manager
Pizza Maker (Former Employee), North Ogden, UTJune 8, 2014
Pros: fun people
Make pizza, clean floors, work on the cash register, and mop.
Fun yet complicated
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Sherwood, ARMay 30, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: lack of hours, no breaks, no benefits
I learned so much working here, but the lack of management was complicated to work in, everyone was telling everyone what to do and when to do it. It didn't offer benefits, and it was complicated to get a hold of the owner. I did enjoy the fact that I met some amazing new people on a daily basis and I saw people from all around the United States.
Productive, fun, humble environment
Team Member (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 28, 2014
The work experience was great with very humble coworkers. The customers were all very friendly to an extent. Management could have been a little better.
Fun but slow paced environment
Pizza Maker (Former Employee), Centennial, COMay 27, 2014
It was a good safe place to work but some of the people were rude.
Pizza Paradise
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Wenatchee, WAMay 22, 2014
Pros: discounted pizza
A typical day of work depended on what shift you were working, working in the mornings typically included more prep work, getting the store ready for the evening rushes since people generally buy pizza in the evening. The evening shifts were more hectic, but in that also usually more fun and energetic. I learned a lot about customer service and what – more... working in the service industry is really like. I also learned other important things like how to create amazing customized pizzas and how to throw dough in the air. Being a part time job for a high school student it wasn't a bad place to be. – less
Fun work enviroment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Eugene, ORMay 17, 2014
I was a shift Supervisor. I worked both opening/prep shifts, as well as evening/closing shifts. I enjoyed my time working here. They were very good working with my schedule when I started working a 2nd job. All the people were nice and very friendly.
Fast paced work environment
Manager (Current Employee), Oskaloosa, IAMay 13, 2014
A good place to work to develop people skills needed to advance in careers in life. You and your co-workers will most likely develop a good friendship that will last years after working together. Hardest part of the job consists of dealing with unpleasant customers.
Pizza Maker (Former Employee), Troy, OHMay 13, 2014
so sad its gone now but i loved it when it was open. it always had nice people and kind workers. the manager was always so friendly and understanding of anything that happened.
Productive and Vibrant Environment
Crew Member (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MNMay 8, 2014
I loved coming into work and all my employees had smiles on their faces. There was never a dull moment. There was amazing teamwork all around. I learned a lot about customer service and a fast, but presentable outcome to all situations.
It was fun assembling pizza's
Crew Member (Former Employee), Saint Croix Falls, WIMay 5, 2014
Pros: free pizza for lunch.
Cons: not many comps.
A typical day would consist of prepping toppings and the dough for pizza. After that I would sheet the dough so it can be made into a pizza. I learned how to make pizza's from scratch. My co-workers were fun to work with. All in all, it was a very fun place to work.
Great launch pad
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Richfield, MNApril 29, 2014
Great place to get your feet wet with the food industry. A place where you can develop skills that will help in the long run.
Not bad for young people, not enough to live on
Supervisor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 24, 2014
Was hired as supervisor, but wasn't treated like one. Worked with good people. Good job for younger crowd
Great opportunity to practice customer service and communication
Crew (Former Employee), Neosho, MOApril 21, 2014
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
Cons: rare discounts, inexperience management, no raise after 9 months
As a student, I worked the afternoon/night shift, completing all closing duties with one other employee. This included making pizzas and sides as customers requested, stocking all ingredients for the morning crew, running the cash register, taking call in orders, cleaning the make-line, dishes, floors, and coolers nightly, as well as counting down the – more... drawer and closing for the night.
The manager at the time lacked experience in any managing position, and was in near constant conflict with the entire crew, 2/3 of which had been there years before the new manager arrived. Crew complaints were given to the owners, but the manager was never evaluated. 9 months in, over half the original crew had either quit, or had been fired by the manager, including myself, with no reasoning given.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to make various types of pizzas, as well as getting to know the customers. My co-workers and I recognized who the regulars were, and they looked forward to seeing us. My co-workers were easy to get along with, fun, and knew the difference between work and play. – less

About Papa Murphy's

Papa Murphy's is the fifth-largest pizza chain in the country, operating over 1,000 franchised and corporate-owned locations in – Read more