Papa Murphy's Employee Reviews in United States

I was an assistant w/out a manager. All the responcibility but non of the compensation
Assistant Manager and General Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNDecember 21, 2015
My original franchisee replaced me over a summer where I took up a construction job. I looked to the same company but a different franchise. There was bad organization and a horrible supervisor in control of the store. I was promoted to GM 5 months after my training GM requested I take over the position and I trained in 3 separate managers to be my manager. I kept the position for 6 months till my old franchisee saw that I was in the top 5 customer service and moved me to Bloomington.
Pros
Great experience to grow. Diversified and challenging market/job force
Cons
Lack of commitment, disorganized upper managment
Productive work place
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me preparing pizzas in the line, cleaning surfaces and floors, and helping customers. From this job I learned how to follow a routine in the work place and work efficiently. My manager was supportive and helpful in getting me acquainted with my work duties. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied customers but I was always able to address the issue calmly and make sure that the customers needs were met. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with food and working with my team.
Productive and fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CADecember 15, 2015
Everyday consisted of taking orders by phone or in person and prepare orders as requested.

I learned how to be outgoing, ask questions when needed, how to multi-task and complete tasks in a timely manner.

I enjoyed working with my manager he taught me a lot about running a restaurant and how to be efficient.

I had a great time training and supervising my co-workers and getting to know everyone on a personal level.

The hardest part of the job at first was explaining cooking instructions and how the restaurant was different from other pizza chains to Spanish speaking customers but later learned how to deal with these situations.

This was my very first job that I held for 6 years and it was the best time of my life growing as a young man into an adult.
Pros
Free meals at work and discounts for self and relatives
Cons
healthcare and hourly pay
Great for high schoolers
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Los Banos, CAJanuary 10, 2016
This place is great is you are looking for simple part-time work. Not for me though. No management to run the store; all associates. Ninety percent of employees are female; talkative. The hardest part of the job was working in this place knowing that things could be run better. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with food. I one day want to run my own food business. Just not this poorly.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No management.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 12, 2016
My first job after graduating from high school, different hard at first but then I was being recommended to be a shift manager but left because i left for college. Worked with older people and was able to understand how it is to work hard and efficient.
Pros
Got stuff done no questions asked
Cons
No relationships with my co-workers very boring
productive work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day involved mixing dough, and making pizza to order for customers. I learned about scheduling and how important prep work is. The management owned the company so it was really important to him. the co workers were nice. the hardest part of the job was the huge equipment and some was very sharp. The most enjoyable was the employee discount.
Fun fast paced work place
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLFebruary 14, 2016
Typical day includes making fresh dough for pizza and breads. Management are helpful and want you to succeed, Co-workers are great and work well together. Hardest part of the job can't really say I have found a hard part. Most enjoyable part of job is the customers that I encounter daily.
Pros
Employee Discounts, Fast Paced environment
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive work place and fun at times.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTOctober 7, 2015
Typical day at work would start at 8 A.M and end at 7 P.M.
Would go in the mornings to prep all food necessary to get through day such as fresh veggies, dough, cookie dough, and pizza sauce.
Would assign jobs to crew members and place where they were best.
At the end of the evening I would count all money coming in to the store and make deposits.
I learned how to balance money, hire new employees, local store marketing, valuable customer service skills, scheduling and how take daily inventory.
The hardest part was working 6-7 days a week for 11 hours a day and lack of help from managers higher up in the company.
Pros
Energetic, fast paced, and amazing co-workers
Cons
Not enough help from higher management at times to assit with making things better.
Good first job to have
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 19, 2016
This is a good job to start with when you turn 16 and need to learn responsibility and money management. I was taught how to deal with customers, provide great service, and how to take orders and do as I'm told. In the store that I worked the management was horrible and put me in more of a upright position then others. Made it difficult for others to listen to me which made things hard.
Nobody cared.
crew member (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, ORJanuary 19, 2016
We were one of the first papa's to ever open, and we were also the worst cared for. The manager came in once a week, asked if we needed anything, then left. The problem is, nobody else was a manager there, so nobody knew what to ask the manager-- So nothing ever changed.

We never got clear direction from management. For example, I wore jeans one day and asked the assistant manager if that was okay. He said specifically that black or blue jeans were proper dress. After that, for the next two months, I wore blue jeans or black jeans according to how available they were in my wardrobe. The final day before I was laid off, I was told it was only acceptable to wear black jeans. The managers from Multnomah and the new manager we were given the last month had seen me wearing blue jeans for the last two months and said nothing until that day.

There was black mold, there was dirt all over the floor at any given time because nobody ever mopped, and people were sent home early from shifts at any sign of idleness-- even when it was clear there was cleaning to do. People weren't allowed what they were scheduled, and schedules shrank if we were efficient and finished our assigned tasks early. Morning people were especially screwed by this due to their job specifically being preparation. It had become 5-hour shifts for 4 days at one point, which is a far cry from the full-time work I was promised when I was hired. Afternoon shift was lazy, arrogant, and got mad when you told them they didn't do their job.

Co-workers were fine, except for one. There was one who would get really
  more... mad over a chronic condition of his and start slamming things around. Nobody did anything. Nobody cared. They just dealt with it. He'd leave for a week, then take another week off even when he was scheduled, and nobody would fire him.
Any job advancement was had after about a full year, according to co-workers. Doing well at your job had nothing to do with it. It's more about what you're willing to put up with in waiting for the tools you need, and how long, which is a whole lot.

The hardest part of the job, for me, was standing on my feet all day due to weight problems I have. This wasn't any fault of Papa's, but it would have been nice to have a place I could sit down between tasks.

An aside: There is no break area. There was a table and a chair when I was recruited, which, over time, were broken down and thrown away in favor of new racks. The kitchen was essentially a short hallway.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got a free pizza every week and I got to banter with my co-workers. Even though the afternoon shift had problems, I thought they were pretty funny people. Bantery, fun, easy-to-talk-with people.

As for work/life balance; it was alright. They allowed us to leave early when we needed to and switching days off wasn't too much of a hassle.

They will only tell you what they really think of you when the 3-month mark is hit. I would really have benefited from knowing if I was doing something wrong right away. I would gladly have changed, and when things were pointed out by co-workers, I did change. The new manager had not given that opportunity.

What I learned from Papa Murphy's, as a company, is that the management will do as little as they can get away with. The regional management had come in for an inspection and seen the horrible conditions we had to work with as acceptable.
Pros
Banter, Free pizza, discounts.
Cons
Poor management, dirty work conditions, claustrophobic workspace, no break area, and severely outdated equipment.
Fast paced worplace
Pizza maker, cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 17, 2016
I learned how to follow directions making pizzas. My co-workers were all mostly fun people. Management was not professional and difficult to understand. The hardest part was being quick with my hands.
Pros
Making customers happy
Cons
Feeling pressure to be exceptional
Great place to work for students
Crew Member/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 20, 2015
I make pizzas, manage my shifts and give great customer service. I've learned how to talk to people and solve problems and my manager has been great ever since I started. My co workers are also great to work with and we work well together. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers and also trying to manage a rush if we are short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the nice customers who show their appreciation and also having a good time with my co workers.
Pros
half off dicount, flexible with schedule
Cons
no benefits, starts at minimum wage
Low pay and bad hours
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSJune 10, 2015
The management is absolutely terrible. No benefits for working here and the low pay is appalling. Raises are almost non-existent.
Customer Friendly work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJanuary 14, 2016
A typical day at Papa Murphy's was fun but also fast paced. Before opening the store my day began by pulling and sheeting dough, grating fresh cheese, reviewing waste, preparing food and counting/balancing the registers for the days business. I enjoyed working alongside of my fun and energetic co-workers. The hardest part of my job was making sure inventory was counted and done correctly for ordering purposes. This was due to the fact that the business was fairly new to the area. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with the customers.
fun
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, OROctober 5, 2015
fun place to work and there is some advancement possibilitys if you work hard enough. lonh hours bubt you get paid well and its fun to work with all the high school kids to see them grow up.
Place use to be great, but now is not so great, manager turnover rate high, owners are jerks.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNMay 18, 2015
Typically work 6 days a week required 45-48 hours a week on a salary pay rate of about 25,000 a year. Owners make changes almost once a week firing people left and right. Expect to much for too little pay.
Pros
free pizza (not literally) required to pay for that as well
Cons
owners are selfish money hungry creeps
Papa Murphys Pizza
Crew (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UT 84078May 4, 2016
When i went to work i would start my daily duties on the job and go through my shift doing whatever needed to be done. I learned more how to handle food and how to make the pizza. I did not feel the management was very good. There was not good communication. People were always goofing off and not a lot got done. The hardest part of the job was probably closing. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get a long well with the customers and when they loved the good service.
Great boss, Great Crew, Great Customers
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 21, 2015
Start day (register reconsolidation, bank deposit, set up make lines, make prep chart, review customer surveys)
Mid day (prep: dough, cheese, veggies, side items; am cleanup: dishes, laundry, floors, trash; pre rush checklist
Rush ( station assignment chart, email respond/send, temp charts, closing cleaning lists, manage FOH, customer interaction, pizza production/ensure employee pizzas are to specs)
End (email respond/send, weekly/monthly cleaning list, manage daily numbers to adjust for same day/next day)

Co workers were always first job/side job for college. Found that the Bloomington market was very versatile with pay/ability.

Hardest part of job: giving employees the amount of hours they wanted while managing the amount I could afford

Most enjoyable part of job: hearing thank you's from customer/charities I worked with. Hearing my employees thank me for my efforts and receiving great reports form their next hiring managers
Pros
great staff and great customers
Cons
small budget lack of additional funds for LSM activities
Productive and family workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 12, 2015
I would come every morning and prepare dough for the day and the next day. The employees where very friendly and helpful when needed. The hardest part of the job was the football games on Saturday and Sunday's. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and new employees.
Pros
free lunch and Half price for family member
Cons
no health benefits
Not bad but subject to criticism
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 2, 2016
An average day was, showing up getting criticized by the boss because of a mistake he made with the menu. Then getting dressed and clocking in. The boss would then go lay down in his office as I, for the next 2 hours, took care of everything. Then a second employee showed up and the boss would leave. If it got busy he would call and tell me (Shift Supervisor) to call someone in early. This could have been avoided had he stayed until the place was in good hands.