Paper Source Employee Reviews

Amazing and Creative Opportunity
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CANovember 16, 2016
I worked for PS about a year and a half. It was a lot of fun to work with customers and help them make invitations or gifts. We were encouraged to do something creative everyday, which often meant we got to make a card or play around with craft supplies while on the job. There were often contests or themes to our making. Great people to work with.

Comment – November 23, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value our teams and take pride in ensuring we hire the right people that love what they do and can share that passion with our customers.

I love them
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2016
They a good place to work with they don't rush you. They help and show how the work suppose to be done. It do be and they don't have brought fans. Overall they are a good company to work for.

Comment – October 20, 2016

Thank you for your feedback, this is great to hear and we hope you are enjoying your role.

busy, and very creative
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 16, 2016
great place to work, very busy. and also very creative. Fully accountable for all operational activity in the store. Providing clear leadership to the team and leading by example in all areas of the business. Customer Service driven atmosphere, with an understanding of product knowledge. Our goal is to inspire customers to "Do Something Creative Every Day,"‚Äč and to celebrate all of life's moments.
Pros
creative
Cons
short lunch

Comment – October 20, 2016

Thank you for the feedback, this is so exciting to hear. We are truly working to ensure our Values and Culture of Paper Source is living within all of us so that we can ensure a fabulous customer experience.

If you want to WORK, this is not the place for you.
team member (I thought) (Former Employee) –  SF, CASeptember 21, 2016
Just got hired a little over a month ago and went through their training and helped open the new store in S.F. Was told I was going to do "workshops" - teaching customers creative paper related crafts. A few weeks latter was notified corporate office has decided not to do workshops at this location (bait & switch tactic). Now today, my hours were cut back to 4 hours per week!!! I was told this was because corporate is only allowing so many hours per week on the payroll.Manager said things will pick in a month or so and I may go back to getting the whopping 13 hours a week I was at (carrot & stick / check's in the mail tactic). Meanwhile, a "We're Hiring " sign remains in the window. They just wasted my time and lied to me to boot. Not mention wasting their own resources in training me just to cut my hours back to nothing a month latter. Such a disappointment. They'll be crying for trained workers in a month or two as the Holiday season hits but I'll be long gone.

Side note - three weeks ago, a company news letter / memo from corporate we are all required to read proudly announced the new store and listed all the employees except one...that's right: My name was NOT on it. Looks like they new something I didn't even back then.

Side note # 2. All hourly employees have their bags checked at the end of their shift before they can leave to ensure they aren't stealing. That should tell you all you need to know about what this company honestly thinks about them.
Pros
Pretty paper to look at
Cons
13 hours per week on average.

Comment – October 20, 2016

Thank you for your feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Fun Company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 1, 2016
This is a fun place to work for very creative place to make personal invitations and cards. Fun party items and great gifts
Pros
Great Hours

Comment – October 20, 2016

Yay! This type of passion is inspiring and I am sure is being resonated in your store while engaging with our customers.

a satisfactory part time gig
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2016
If you need a third job or you are a student this is an okay gig.
They ask you to be aggressive sellers without seeming aggressive. Only a people person should apply here.
You have to be a good communicator. Leave the vernacular at home.

Comment – October 20, 2016

We love fast, fun and friendly associates in our stores..who wouldn't want to shop here?

Productive and fun
Production Hand Labor (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, ILApril 4, 2016
Recently the company has been cutting hours in the production and distribution departments, making it hard for the employees to get by. It is a fun job because it"s a very crafty company. My co-workers are nice people and the Supervisors are very understandable about my life situation and they are always willing to help.

Comment – May 19, 2016

Glad to hear our people stories and support systems in both the field and our warehouse.

Learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2016
Good and fun place to work. Good atmosphere and customers truly cared about the products you recommended. My coworkers were fun, they worked hard and we enjoyed our time together. Sometimes it was a little hard lifting things but was well worth it.

Comment – May 19, 2016

Happy to read your comment- keep up the great work and inspiring our customers to do something creative every day.

its a ggod place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILNovember 21, 2015
I learned a lot there working in that warehouse with some great people it was very amazing working there it was more changeling.
they gave us a new task everyday sometimes we had deadlines that needed to be push out before the day was over but when we all came together it got done
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
shorts breaks
Wonderfully Creative
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  EvanstonAugust 1, 2015
The perks of Paper Source is being around a constant stream of creativity. From excited customers, to the weekly workshops, there's an endless fountain of art and crafts to drink from.

The challenges are work-life balance and confusion from corporate management to a store level.

Comment – August 23, 2015

THak you for your feedback and your passion around the creative process and inspiration in our stores. I am concerned over the comment on work like balance as our ASM roles are hourly positions that do not require more than 40 hours a week. Sory that you could not find balance in a 40 hour work week...in retail. OUr monthly hindsignt also is a great tool for filtering professional feedback if there was a concern on communication from HQ to the field. We have been making great strides in formulating clear, consistent communicate as we continue to scale.
Thanks again and best of luck.

Paper Source Summary
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2015
In a typical day of work, in paper source, I would start my day by grabbing a cart and a chart where I can fill the orders that I would pick during the day. The managers will usually give us the orders with the list of the products and the amount of items needed. Usually every order had to be done within an hour to an hour and a half, and every order had around 100 to 200 items on the list. The items that were picked were not heavy; they usually were cards, toys, pens, and candy, however the weight accumulated. At the end of the day everyone had to clean, usually it involved sweeping or dusting. Some pickers who are fast were usually changed into packers temporally for the day, or trained for the winter when there is a lot of work.
Pros
Free lunch at times
Cons
no healthcare
fun work place it felt like it was always busy and it went by quick
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJune 29, 2015
such a great work place loved it so much. always busy everyone was nice and pretty crazy but one of the best work places I've worked at.
Pros
always busy and loved every customer
Cons
the main boss was rude and never knew how to control her anger

Comment – June 30, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your exeperience. I wish we could have helped understand the "cons". We do have a very open door policy and a confidential hotline that if used, we could address the situation.
Best of luck and hope you continue to shop us.

Productive and Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2015
A typical day at work for me starts off with receiving inventory, as the store becomes busy I assist customers with their projects. Ranging from hand made cards and invitations, crafting projects, scrap-booking, photo shoot back drops and more. I make sure to do this with high energy and full attention and understanding of what the customer needs. I have learned how to build customer relationships, identify the customers specific needs and in sure that they have the best Paper Source experience. Management is supportive, encouraging, models best practices, and always there to assist their employees with information they have not learned yet. My co-workers are great to work with we all work as a team, they are easy to communicate with, they also work hard to assist customers with what they need. The hardest part of this job would be getting customers to join the crafting workshops that we offer at papers source, I believe its challenging because you have to make it relate able to the customers interest and make it sound as exciting and interesting to the customer so they will buy a seat. The most enjoyable part of my job is successfully helping each customer with what they need when they come to the store, also when a customer comes in and seems stressed out about what he or she needs and I am able to make them happy and pleased by getting everything that they needed.
Pros
High Energy, Not competitive, High Prioritizing, Calm and Happy Enviornment
Cons
Only part time, slow growth in terms of moving up in the company

Comment – June 30, 2015

Thank you for sharing such great insight into your day. We love to hear that you are so passionat and focused on the customer experience. I encourage you to work with your manager to ensure you are getting all of the required great training and ask for help in how you can overcome the obstacles of workshop selling. There are so many great workshops out there and so many peer resources to help you in and out of your region that can give you some tips and tricks. It is so great when a customer experiences a workshop and really gets their hands on the product.
Thanks for all you are doing.

Paper Source - Manager Field Recruitment

Creative environment with a people-first approach
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2015
Each day presents new challenges in ways to best serve our customers. They provide workshops, custom print services, and the ability to demonstrate creative tools and products to aid with customers' creative projects. It is a small environment with a relatively small staff, which promotes good work relations and effective teamwork skills. Employees are encouraged to participate in workshop and display builds, learning new crafting techniques and presentation ideas.
Pros
creative environment, customer service

Comment – June 30, 2015

Excellent feedback, thank you for sharing. Houston is a great store for us, hope you are having continued FUN and focusing that creative inspiration with a great customer experience: CREATE!!

Best job I've ever had!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 26, 2015
Working at Paper Source has been the best job I've ever had. We work by the mantra, "Do something creative every day." How could you not love working in a place that inspires creativity within its employees and customer base?

Comment – June 30, 2015

We are thrilled to hear of your great experience and thank you for sharing.
Paper Source

Comment – June 30, 2015

Thank you for your feedback, it is so great to hear you are having fun. That passion reflects through and I am sure the customers love working with you.
Keep up the great work.

Paper Source- Manager Field Recruitment

Should be a fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAMarch 27, 2015
Paper Place should be a fun place to work and if you're working at the associate level hopefully you are having fun.

At the management level it is a mess.

Comment – April 23, 2015

Sorry to hear you were unhappy. We provide a very open door policy and if you had concerns, should have reached out. Best of luck in your future.

Great Place to work!
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2015
Fun environment. Didn't even feel like work. Management was great and the associates as well. It was rare when you got a bad customer because everyone that shops from Paper Source already knows us and if not they see it is a great environment to be creative and free.

Comment – April 23, 2015

Thank you for your feedback and thrilled you have had such a great experience.

Positive, team building and creative environment
Key Holder, Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 3, 2014
Positive and respected team player with versatile experience and success with retail sales management and consumer marketing roles. Noted for unceasing energy, passion for sales and service, effectively utilizing organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills to build brand and sales. Successfully able to balance the need of prioritizing tasks, managing teams and sharing knowledge with consumers contributing to the overall success of an organization.
Wonderful place to craft and create with customers
Customer Service Associate, part time (Current Employee) –  Glendale, WIOctober 9, 2014
Good pay, good hours and fun with products. Excellent way to interact with people in a creative way.
Pros
time to craft during each shift
Cons
too few hours for part time
'Do Something Creative Everyday' is losing it's luster, thanks to conporate mandates.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2014
The words I always used to describe Paper Source's atmosphere was warm & fuzzy. The customers got a kick out of it. For the most part, it's true as a customer. As a worker, you have to dig deep to find it within you to punch up the creative & customer service skills needed for a job like this. If you can, you'll be satisfied. From my experience, having a sense of comradery with my co-workers from the San Francisco store I first worked at made me feel comfortable working a retail job! But then came other aspects....

I won't beat around the bush: I'm a male, black male at that. Not that I want to make a deal out of it, but facing the facts I didn't fit the overall quota of working there. From what I've experienced, white women are the norm of these stores. Sure, being that 'different guy' is all fine & dandy, until it started affecting my position. Most customers would naturally shrug me off & the management would not be too keen on my simple requests to make my workday better (i.e. asking for more than one shift a week & sometimes getting zero because I need Fridays & Saturdays free for my personal work). With increasing pressure from the higher- ups to change the culture into a more corporate one, I feel that a LOT of the 'Do Something Creative Everyday' motto is losing its luster. When I transferred over to a New York store this past summer, I barely demoed or helped more then two people a shift simply because they seemed disinterested in the high priced products. But hey, tourists loved them!
Pros
the store chain sells enough quirky products for the main demographic of customers, the co- workers I had made me feel comfortable with working retail
Cons
breaks were never substantial, not enough shifts for one person, no full time work available for sales associates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paper Source. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9