Paralyzed Veterans of America Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive and fun with ping pong table etc.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 24, 2017
Working around the patients was a good experience interacting helping them with everything I really enjoyed it. Everyone was friendly including the staff
Pros
Free food
Horrible Job
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 14, 2017
This job is for someone who is trying to have some extra cash in their pocket, on a desperate level. The management is not organized. They lose all your information. You cant leave on your lunches or breaks. It was almost like a concentration camp.
Fast paced enviroment
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2016
Great feeling of pride knowing you are raising money to help paralyzed veterans. This organization puts their members as a top priority.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Horrible comute
Veterans with Spinal Cord conditions and Traumatic Brain Injuries
Secretary III - Accredited Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 12, 2016
Paralyzed Veterans of America is an organization that primarily represents veterans having Spinal Cord Dysfunction and Traumatic Brain Injuries before the Department of Veterans Affairs. They will also assist others. They help them obtain benefits and monitor their medical treatment. I is a good organization.
Toxic Work Environment
Director (everyone's a "director"- meaningless) (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 9, 2016
The organization operates in a shabby DC headquarters with a secretive, non-communicative, top-down 1950’s management style based on intimidation, micro-management, distrust, and antagonism. Collaboration and innovation are strongly discouraged, and employees are not valued. The overpaid, under-performing, and self-promoting department managers are sadly out of touch. Telecommuting is not permitted, and employee work schedules are not flexible. Vacations and personal time off are discouraged, and work-life balance is askew. The organization has a shockingly high annual turnover rate, 50% or more in some departments, with a constant revolving door. Conscientious, enthusiastic, intelligent employees are regularly thrown under the bus, predictably leaving when the spirit-crushing PVA culture that seeks to destroy self-esteem becomes apparent.

Advice to Management: Question why very high annual turnover rates are the norm, and sideline the long term department managers who treat employees with hostility and disrespect. Value and trust your colleagues, encourage full collaboration, and take advantage of the organizational brain trust. Welcome innovation and new ideas to bring the organization into the 21st century. Incorporate modern HR and workplace practices. Top managers must open their eyes and realize that replacing valuable employees every six months is wasteful, costly, and destroys morale.
Pros
An admirable mission statement, and some nice colleagues.
Cons
Terrible work environment; you will ultimately regret any association with this group.
Typical work day
Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2016
In a daily work day I assist veterans with their VA benefits. I have to make sure ALL information is current in our CMS system and answer any questions they may have.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Excellent organization
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILApril 11, 2016
a typical day at work, is communicating all business matters via email. each day is different depending on each email or call. management can be a little demanding sometimes but nothing that can not get done. the hardest part of the job is when not everyone is willing to go the extra mile. my most enjoyable part of the job is able to make a difference in someone's life.
Pros
holidays
Productive and Fun Work Place
National Office (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2016
Great location, good benefits, but not much room for growth. Compensation is low depending on your department and title.
Great Work Place
Lead Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 22, 2015
I was the lead truck driver. Made sure all of the tuck were clean and ready for work. Generated a daily pick up route. Organized truck driver labor schedule and balanced labor hours.
Workplace bullying
Associate Director of Medical Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2015
Working for PVA can be great if you are located in any of its various offices excluding the National office in DC. Managers have little to no leadership training or skills. The turnover rate throughout the company is extremely high. Steer clear of the architecture and medical department. Unfortunately those managers seem to have the highest turnover mainly due to the workplace bullying environment. These particular managers have made false accusations against a number of employees throughout the years.
Pros
Excellent health insurance, paid holidays, 401k
Cons
High turnover, office drama, poor visionary leadership from senior management
Very poor management
Administration (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 2, 2015
Some of these reviews are not being honest. Yes, PVA has an exceptional and honorable mission. To help SCI Veterans find quality care as well as a better quality of life. However, those put in charge and in management positions in the NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS most specifcially, lack business acumen, code of ethics and all in all excellent managerial skills. Some do not have a proper command of the English langauage or the skill sets to write a grammatically correct and professional email or just communicate effectively in general. For years there has been high turnover and people with morales and talent have been let go, either resigned or in some sly way asked to leave PVA.

This company needs to take a closer look at who is running things, and HR needs to be completely revamped. There should be more training initiatives and interaction with staff, so that all are on the same page and can accomplish the goal in a cohesive and condusive manner.
Pros
Holidays and Competitive Pay for a Non Profit
Cons
Management, not ethical
Amazing place to work
Development Officer/Office of Individual Giving (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2015
PVA is a great place to work. The management and staff work everyday to help ALL veterans not just paralyzed veterans. Working with donors on a daily basis to meet the needs of our veterans.
It was a fun job interactng with co-workers, and customers
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHMay 26, 2015
Load up the car for the deliveries, grab the tickets, money bag, and head out the door. Spend about 12 hours plus in the car, delivering, stop at the manager's house, drop off cash, tickets, get paid, and go home. Get up and do it all over again the next day.

I learned that customers are the ones that make sure you get paid at the end of the day. If you have customers that aren't the greatest, you still have to be nice, and move on. No matter, if you know they are wrong.

In the beginning the management was good, and fair, but when you bring problems from home to the office, and somehow it interferes with the job you are trying to do, and creates problems. The communication and the fairness were almost gone, and the abuse of generosity was in high gear. It took the fun out of doing my job.

The Co-workers (non-management) were special to me, because they were the ones who worked hard day in and day out to get that sale, and to be able to depend on me to deliver it, so they could get their commission. It is their hard work, that allowed us to get paid everyday, or every other day.

The hardest part about the job was never getting a chance to say thank you and good bye to the customers i dealt with all the time. I broke my leg while loading my car up one day, and not being able to see these fine people again is really hard.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers. To have a relationship where they know your first name, your phone number, and what kind of car you drive, is pretty awesome. When you meet people from different walks
  more... of life, it helps you grow as a person, and you're always learning something new each time from them.  less
Pros
Being on the open road
Cons
Mismanagement, getting bit by a dog.
I volunteer to help and got so much more.
IT Admin and support - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLMarch 29, 2015
I am a technical student who wanted to become a professional. I have worked on their computers using my education to bring them up to date and reduce their costs (eg no more calling geek squad), I also sharpened my skills for my future career as System Administrator.
Pros
Free lunch, Good people
Cons
Getting hit by a wheel chair
Fun and Fulfilling
Office Management in Non-Profit Sector (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2015
The hardest part of this job was having to go home at the end of the day. However, each day ended leaving me feeling that I had done something that really mattered and joyful pride.
Pros
Creative Freedom
Cons
Small Budgets
Diverse Company
National Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2014
Time honored organization with unexpected inner workings.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Training
Great with paralyzed Veterans , Horrible with their emploees
National Service Officer Candidate (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 18, 2014
NY are representatives do very little community outreach. They focus on Spinal cord injury and disease but have no programs for PTSD, TBI or other injuroies of OIF or OEF veterans.
Interesting environment.
Program Manager Clinical Practice Guidelines (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2013
Although I enjoy the work that I do, which is assisting in the creation of guidelines for people with spinal cord injuries, there is not much opportunity for advancement.
Pros
The organization is a veterans' advocacy organization.
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement.
At the end of the day, I was satisified that I did all I could to assist every veteran.
National Service Officer III (Former Employee) –  VA Hospital Memphis, TNOctober 11, 2013
My day started as a mornimg visit with all of the hospitalized veterans on the Spinal Cord Unit and those placed in other areas of the hospital. Managemennt was very supportive with resources to assist with accomplishing our mission. My co-workers were great! They also had passion for the veterans and would alert me of situations within the unit when the veterans were afraid to speak up. The hardest part of the job was receiving a denial of benefits for the veterans that I assisted with filing a claim before the Department of Veterans Affairs. The most enjoyable part of the job was researching medical records and obtaining a medical opinion from physicians to support any claim that was granted benefits. I have a passion for assisting people in any capacity, as long as it is legal.

I was granted custody of my grand daughter and I had to resign. We have adjusted and I am ready to join the workforce.
Pros
Visiting nursing homes, rehab centers, and private hospitals to assist veterans.
A great place to work
Director, Office of Individual Giving (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2013
Excellent work/life balance and generous benefits. Limited advancement for many, but it is possible. Overall a wonderful place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paralyzed Veterans of America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8