Park Avenue Center Employee Reviews

unfavorable attitudes
assessor (Former Employee) –  2649October 5, 2015
This company seems to have many staff in roles of management, but not enough possessing actual managerial skills and experience. They have a Director of Operations who is considered a leader, yet he lacks the skills to succeed. He tends to give the run around when asked questions and also fails to share "the big picture" when it comes to issues the company or staff members have.
He doesn't seem to understand that they lose good employees because of the poor decision he made in placing an intrusive older woman in the role of supervisor. She comes across as a bully and this behavior is acceptable. Perhaps if he would get his act together and speak with authenticity, so many people would not come and go under his watch.
Perhaps more members of leadership should take time to ask their staff how things really are going and where improvements could be made.
Pros
good employees, knowledgeable staff, good intentions
Cons
Poor attitudes, bully-like atmosphere
A great place to intern if you are up for a good challenge
Mental Health Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2015
I interned at PAC for 10 months for my Master's level mental health degree. It was a wonderful experience. I learned a great deal about myself and the counseling field, and learned from each of my clients and colleagues. The atmosphere was highly professional, and while it can be very fast-paced and chaotic, they truly have high standards for client care and caring for employees and interns. I felt appreciated and respected here and left with tremendous gratitude for all I learned and the people I met. My supervision was excellent, as well. We met at a scheduled time each week, and my supervisor was a doctoral therapist with 10 years of experience. While the staff is young and there is a lot of turnover, I recommend PAC to any student seeking a challenging and deeply rewarding internship experience. While most of the reviews prior to this one have been negative, I speak for a large number of interns who enjoyed their experience as much as I did. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but there are many people who had a great experience who are not represented here.
Pros
Weekly supervision and training, staff appreciation, professionalism and high standards
Cons
High turnover with clients and staff, chaotic atmosphere at times
Internship
Mental Health and Addiction Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2015
Learned a lot, great client population. It is fast paced and you'll always be learning new things. People you work with a are fantastic. High level of professionalism.
This is a great place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2015
The counselors really care about the clients and do what they can to help them complete their program successfully. The supervisors were helpful and I got a true experience as a counselor. I completed treatment plans, progress notes, intakes, comprehensive assessments, and discharge summaries. I also had the responsibility of running groups, doing individual sessions, couples sessions and family groups. I taught activity groups and psycho-educational groups. It was great experience at a rule 21 facility. I also gained experience in Procentive, a common documentation program.
Very belligerent environment presented to staff by management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Park AvenueJune 26, 2015
Management, or "leadership team" as they prefer has a very authoritarian attitude towards staff. They treat employees as if they are incompetent if they do not have a masters or doctorate degree.
They also have a number of supervisors that do not know how to "supervise," So there is much "passing of the buck" because no one knows what to do.
The woman in human resources is basically a bully. This in turn trickles down the the other supervisors who see her in action, as they then feel it is okay to treat employees like this.
Most staff members are overworked and underpaid. So many people who have worked at this center for several years have chosen to leave within the last couple, or have been driven out by the "leadership" team.
It is unfortunate that employees do not have an advocate on their side to go to for assistance or advice. Human resources is not available for this as she gains pleasure on throwing individuals under the boss and giving them the ax.
This place has potential for great things - if only the owner would listen to those individuals who want to make a difference and be heard.
The treatment program used to be a great program, yet the individuals that direct the programs do not have the experience or knowledge to treat people with chemical dependency. They are too focused on mental heatlh and creating a "kumbuya" environment instead of focusing on the best way to keep clients in their program. Clients seem to step down or graduate in a short amount of time, when compared to the amount of time clients spend in other treatment centers. It
  more... seems like there is a rush to get them out and complete them as soon as possible.
Doesn't seem like a "clients first" environment.
Receptionist, Customer Service Clerk
p/T Receptionist (Current Employee) –  2318 Park AvenueJanuary 26, 2015
Answer switchboard/take messages, greet guest, check in clients/vendors, general office duties.

More DAANES info

Do not have much interaction with them

Work the evening shift my co workers/I work very well together

Lack of communication

Each day is different even though I'm doing the same task
Pros
pays well
Cons
late shift
Unorganized and lack of leadership
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 5, 2015
My typical day consisted of meeting with clients individually and with groups. Working at other treatment centers I have learned that could management has a strong impact on the outcome you get from counselors and staff. At Park there the leadership was lacking and what was in place, had no organization to it. For a business to be successful, you need to let your employees know that they are appreciated and that their hard work is what keeps the company going.
The HR department is more involved than it should be. Human Resources should be a department that employees can go to for assistance and advice. Here the HR department is involved way too much and is not a source of assistance to the employees. It appears that counselors are not happy with management and the way they treat employees.
Though I love the clients and enjoy helping them, as this is why I am in this field, I found it hard to do my job with the supervision at the men's building. They seem to enjoy promoting people as supervisors, which then takes them away from the role of counselor. You can't build a business on making supervisors our of people that have no experience managing or overseeing employees. Plus the clients lose out as they lose a good counselor.
I enjoyed the staff I worked with as there seemed to be many that would go above and beyond, yet it seemed they do not get the praise or respect they deserve. This company is too focused on how many letters come after a persons name (as far as education) and the number of employees that are actually dedicated and enjoy what they do.
I enjoy this field and
  more... enjoy helping others, however this environment was not allowing me to give my best.  less
Pros
clients and some staff
Cons
lack of leadership, negative atmosphere
nice office
Medication Observer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 11, 2014
clients can be difficult to work with no benefits and employers make you cut hours if you have worked overtime
It's a job!
n/a (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2014
As much as I like and enjoy what I do in the healthcare/human services field, I dislike the favoritism displayed in each of their building locations. Really good employees fly under the radar and yet when a naturally lazy employee actually does their job, they are praised and rewarded. I don't mind flying under the radar. It is the annoyance of lazy people coming in late, leaving early, cutting corners and no one knows about it.

In the professional realm, you would first try to work out your differences with your co-worker, seeing why they are always behind in their work, but constantly leave early and attempt to lend a hand. When the environment doesn't change, you head to your supervisor. Supervisors don't seem to correct the situation, so then you go to HR, who tells you to go to your supervisor and then you are stuck.

Really, really good people are being let go for new breath at a lower cost. Really, really good people are leaving or talking about leaving for all of the above.

You hear about Park's growth and growth is generally good for business and for the field. However, it's coming at a cost at which they don't understand or care about fixing.
Pros
earlier business hours
Cons
hr manager, fear
Heirarchical & bureaucratic mental health culture
Mental Health Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 24, 2014
Park Avenue Center (PAC) is a substance-abuse and co-occuring mental disorder facility in midtown Minneapolis, MN. While their mission is good and client care is solid, they fail to treat their employees as employees and instead treat them with the same skepticism as clients. The hardest part of working there IS NOT the difficult clientele, even though the demographic of clientele and presenting problems is quite a challenge. Instead, the judgmental and micro-managing supervisors made me feel like I was never good enough, constantly watched, and as if I should change my entire personality to be who they wanted. They churn through class upon class of mental health practicum students to get a free mental health workforce; mental health team members often feel more like a number or body to fill a seat than an individual person or name.
Pros
good mission
Cons
micromanaging supervisors, poor team culture, unclear but rigid expectations, feeling like a number instead of a name
A fun place to work
Lectures and Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2013
Working for Park Av was particular interest to me because I like helping people.
Pros
making a difference in people's lives
Cons
healthcare
Excellent place for employees
Health Educator/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 23, 2013
Counselors and employees truly care about clients and outcomes
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
private, for profit, run by one individual