Park Avenue Center Employee Reviews

Intern
Chemical Dependency Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 27, 2017
During my time as a Chemical Dependency Counselor intern I given was on a full-time growth spurt . Provided gender and culturally specific chemical dependency treatment services for men and women facing many barriers, including but not limited to mental health disorders, poverty, homelessness, history of trauma, as well as legal concerns.
Pros
Even paced and personally and professionally challenging.
Cons
Job was unpaid
Excellent
Chemical Dependency Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2017
Excellent place to do LADC internships. It has a great work atmosphere, the staff is very supportive, and there is a lot of consultation between supervisors, interns and staff.
Intense Micro managing!
unable to list (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 17, 2017
An employee is under a huge microscope and Micro managed to death. Expectations are unattainable due to changing atmosphere on a daily basis having to work with an unstable clientele. Director of Operations has not Medical/Behavioral Health experience, thus trying to formulate tasks according to text book info. Is like putting a used car salesman into a surgical technician role.
Also, there are no boundaries when it comes to supervisors interacting with Director of Operations, i.e. billing supervisor, admissions director, and assessors supervisor. Very high turn over in staff. 6 people from billing either started and resigned or were fired if they didn't fit into an unrealistic environment, 6 chemical health assessors either resigned or fired for the exact same reasons a billing department.
Pros
Some of the other employees are helpful
Cons
Unhealthy environment.
Amazing!
LADC (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 16, 2017
I find management and co-workers extremely supportive of both professional and personal goals or issues. Management is easily accessible and focused on problem solving, whether it's a professional or personal matter.
The Values at Park Avenue Center are seen in action on a daily basis while working with clients and each other. We are able to provide client-first care on a daily basis, making employment at Park Avenue extremely rewarding.
I have been working as a professional for over 30 years and have never experienced such a passion for becoming better, a commitment to hard work and loyalty, absolute professionalism and primarily, a client's first attitude.
I could not ask for a better workplace.
Great work place!
Operations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 8, 2017
The poor reviews on here seem rather unfair, this is a great place to work! The team here is very supportive and the people are great! The buildings and work environment is very nice and clean. They offer great benefits. I would recommend working here!!
Worst place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 22, 2017
They don't treat their employees fairly. They don't give you proper breaks and lunches. Management is only out for self. They don't put clients first it's all a lie
Lots of opportunities, bright future
Operations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 19, 2017
Things are changing for the better! Client care has always been a top priority but new processes are being implemented to make it easier to focus on the right things. Counselors have it very good here, they really only have to focus on their clients and clinical documentation because there are separate functions for intake and billing.
Pros
Strong mission, bright future
Horrible work environment
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 16, 2017
Upper management does not know how to run a company. Training is not good. High turnover of employees, management does not care about loyalty. The management does not care about its people.
Blah
Other Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2017
Not client focused at ALL! High turn over. You only matter here if you have letters behind your name or if your "the favorite" or willing to bend over backwards. People are harassed by other co wokers daily. A lot of gossip and sour behaviors etc...what's sad is that it starts from the top and trickles down to the bottom. Unprofessional staff, lack of communication. I dont see this company lasting any longer. Shady practices you name it. Oh and people love passing the buck and throwing people under the bus.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Way too many
I wish I had known..
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2017
I wish I had known about the high turnover rate...

There is a reason for this. The interview went well and I was excited to start in a place I felt was right for me. It was an "entry level" position and had opportunities to work your way up. Then reality set in and I was looking for a new job after about 30 days.
When I was there, almost all the counselors had their doors shut because they were constantly working on catching up or staying caught up. People were being pulled in to do group literally a minute before sometimes. Go to management for support and the answers were different depending on who you talked to. Administration seemed disconnected from reality. Clients felt like they were a number and would literally run groups on how they felt like this because they didn't feel they were actually cared about.
My personal opinion, there were good intentions for this company and it grew too fast and couldn't keep up. My other opinion, the counselors were amazing, but burnt out because of major lack of support and being stretched so thin.
The clients were wonderful to work with... I stuck around for them for a bit, but before burning out because of the lack of support on the employer side, I had to leave.
Pros
The counselors
Cons
Upper Management/Administration
Cronyism and Inconsistent Policies
Adding this would give away my identity (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisJanuary 23, 2017
Leadership consists of owners friends and family and are considered "untouchable". No objective measurements of job performance. Inconsistent policies regarding time off. Constant in-fighting. Incredibly narcissistic owners who want absolute subservience and to be unquestioned in anything. Shady business practices. Rumors of affairs and other gossip that doesn't belong in the work place. Primary directive is obviously to ensure the owners get to keep their multiple houses and continue a lavish lifestyle.

But they have really good benefits and if the owner likes you personally and you bend for them and never question their shady practices it's a great place to work!
benefits
Cons
cronyism
Dysfunctional... minus the "fun"
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 10, 2017
This has to be one of the most unorganized companies I have ever worked for. They have an abundance of supervisors on staff, yet you can never get a direct answer from any of them.... You ask one a question, they re-direct you to another one, and it just goes on and on. Counselors appear to be the ones to ask questions, as they are the one's who keep the programming running.
The majority of the supervisors are young, and really have no idea what they are doing. This is probably why they have such a high turnover rate for counselors. They do promote from within, but that is based on whether or not the supervisors consider you a favorite. I worked at the men's building and I would compare it to high school. The gossip and BS that you would hear the supervisors say to one another regarding counselors and other staff was unnecessary.
The intake supervisor was the worst, as she was known to give wrong information, rather than tell you she did not know. This is another area that has a large turnover of staff, as many do not care for her. It's obvious this is the first real job she has ever had, since completing college, as she has no people skills and gets defensive when you try to provide useful advice or assistance.
Staff here does not stick around for very long, which explains why so many staff are new. I would recommend this company as a good place to "get your feet wet" but nothing more when it comes to career longevity.
Pros
counselors and other staff
Cons
supervisors
Overwehlming work environment
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  MinneapJuly 30, 2016
The supervisors at this company do not seem to be trained very well, or know how to do the jobs of the staff they supervise. I was hired for a specific position, but while working in this role many others jobs were given to me that had nothing to do with the department I worked in. These extra jobs included helping the billing department, verifying insurance information, covering the receptionists breaks, pulling files located in other buildings and acting as a personal secretary to my supervisor, as she would have me return all of her voicemails.
When hired, I was not told that alll this additional work would be added to my job description. It would have been nice to know this before taking the position since its not my area of expertise.
Cons
Management is not trained to manage
Worst place I ever worked
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 2, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people who trained me and I worked with. The downside of the job was the manager. She was loud, rude, enjoyed putting people down and acted like a bully. If you would go to her for anything...she would make it about herself.
She comes across as crazy, between her bouts of crying and fits of yelling at staff.
Upper management does not seem to notice, as she works in the same building as the human resource manager and the director of the company. It seems like they either tune out her bad behavior or just accept it.
Not sure if she worked or way up to a manager or what, as she isn't someone I would look up to. She never arrives on time and is always leaving early, yet preaches how she is SO behind! Maybe if she stops badgering her staff and does some work, she won't be behind.
Pros
staff and co-workers
unfavorable attitudes
assessor (Former Employee) –  2649October 5, 2015
This company seems to have many staff in roles of management, but not enough possessing actual managerial skills and experience. They have a Director of Operations who is considered a leader, yet he lacks the skills to succeed. He tends to give the run around when asked questions and also fails to share "the big picture" when it comes to issues the company or staff members have.
He doesn't seem to understand that they lose good employees because of the poor decision he made in placing an intrusive older woman in the role of supervisor. She comes across as a bully and this behavior is acceptable. Perhaps if he would get his act together and speak with authenticity, so many people would not come and go under his watch.
Perhaps more members of leadership should take time to ask their staff how things really are going and where improvements could be made.
Pros
good employees, knowledgeable staff, good intentions
Cons
Poor attitudes, bully-like atmosphere
A great place to intern if you are up for a good challenge
Mental Health Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2015
I interned at PAC for 10 months for my Master's level mental health degree. It was a wonderful experience. I learned a great deal about myself and the counseling field, and learned from each of my clients and colleagues. The atmosphere was highly professional, and while it can be very fast-paced and chaotic, they truly have high standards for client care and caring for employees and interns. I felt appreciated and respected here and left with tremendous gratitude for all I learned and the people I met. My supervision was excellent, as well. We met at a scheduled time each week, and my supervisor was a doctoral therapist with 10 years of experience. While the staff is young and there is a lot of turnover, I recommend PAC to any student seeking a challenging and deeply rewarding internship experience. While most of the reviews prior to this one have been negative, I speak for a large number of interns who enjoyed their experience as much as I did. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but there are many people who had a great experience who are not represented here.
Pros
Weekly supervision and training, staff appreciation, professionalism and high standards
Cons
High turnover with clients and staff, chaotic atmosphere at times
Internship
Mental Health and Addiction Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2015
Learned a lot, great client population. It is fast paced and you'll always be learning new things. People you work with a are fantastic. High level of professionalism.
This is a great place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2015
The counselors really care about the clients and do what they can to help them complete their program successfully. The supervisors were helpful and I got a true experience as a counselor. I completed treatment plans, progress notes, intakes, comprehensive assessments, and discharge summaries. I also had the responsibility of running groups, doing individual sessions, couples sessions and family groups. I taught activity groups and psycho-educational groups. It was great experience at a rule 21 facility. I also gained experience in Procentive, a common documentation program.
Very belligerent environment presented to staff by management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Park AvenueJune 26, 2015
Management, or "leadership team" as they prefer has a very authoritarian attitude towards staff. They treat employees as if they are incompetent if they do not have a masters or doctorate degree.
They also have a number of supervisors that do not know how to "supervise," So there is much "passing of the buck" because no one knows what to do.
The woman in human resources is basically a bully. This in turn trickles down the the other supervisors who see her in action, as they then feel it is okay to treat employees like this.
Most staff members are overworked and underpaid. So many people who have worked at this center for several years have chosen to leave within the last couple, or have been driven out by the "leadership" team.
It is unfortunate that employees do not have an advocate on their side to go to for assistance or advice. Human resources is not available for this as she gains pleasure on throwing individuals under the boss and giving them the ax.
This place has potential for great things - if only the owner would listen to those individuals who want to make a difference and be heard.
The treatment program used to be a great program, yet the individuals that direct the programs do not have the experience or knowledge to treat people with chemical dependency. They are too focused on mental heatlh and creating a "kumbuya" environment instead of focusing on the best way to keep clients in their program. Clients seem to step down or graduate in a short amount of time, when compared to the amount of time clients spend in other treatment centers. It
  more... seems like there is a rush to get them out and complete them as soon as possible.
Doesn't seem like a "clients first" environment.
Receptionist, Customer Service Clerk
p/T Receptionist (Current Employee) –  2318 Park AvenueJanuary 26, 2015
Answer switchboard/take messages, greet guest, check in clients/vendors, general office duties.

More DAANES info

Do not have much interaction with them

Work the evening shift my co workers/I work very well together

Lack of communication

Each day is different even though I'm doing the same task
Pros
pays well
Cons
Late shift