Parkland College Employee Reviews

N/a
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 30, 2016
The typical day at work was pretty easy! Answering phones calls, took care of the scheduling, I met new people, and was able to complete my classes. The job overal job was benefici
Al.
Technical Support Assistant Tier II (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 5, 2016
Parkland College was a great place to work. Hours are flexible but the rate of pay for the job was a bit lacking. They seem to be doing a lot of cutting back so I'm not sure how long the position will last for in the future.
Educational environment and room for growth
Account Payable (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 23, 2016
I have enjoyed my career with Parkland College. I have been able to earn my degree while an employee and grow as an individual.
Great place to learn how to fly with an expert instructing staff
Check Instructor (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 29, 2015
On even given day I could fly with my flight students 3-6 times. The Institute of Aviation at Parkland College offers multiple levels of instruction from primary private pilot courses to advanced instructor courses. We also have all the associated ground schools for each flight course we offer. I spend a portion of my day planning out and pre briefing and de briefing the flight periods, what will be covered and what needs to be reviewed for the next flight.
Pros
Good working environment and helpful staff
Cons
high work loads at times
Great People in a Great learning Enviroment
Professional Class Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 21, 2015
All the instructors really care about the students, No questions are stupid, they want the students to succeed. Super school.
Working at Parkland College
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 12, 2015
My work experience as a student assistant at Parkland College was very positive. I learned a great deal about what good customer service was and how to achieve it. My co-workers and members of management were a pleasure to work with. We all had a common goal to make the experience at Parkland College a positive one. I enjoyed working with such a diverse group of "clientele". The most difficult part of the job was leaving after graduation. This was definitely a job that I could have grown old with. The only complaint that I have is that Parkland should make it easier to gain post graduation full-time employment.
Productive and enjoyable atmosphere
Advisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 14, 2015
Working at Parkland College has been a wonderful experience. I learned how to manage, work with a diverse population, and improved my presentation skills. Leadership was most excellent. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping adult learners return to school, and promoting Parkland College as a whole.
Pros
in-house professional development
Cons
difficult to attain full-time position
I learned many lessons at Parkland
Student (Former Employee) –  D WingJanuary 24, 2015
The atmosphere of the college was wonderful. The staff go out of their way to help students individually and the courses are very hands on translate to the real world seamlessly.
Pros
large campus with many diverse courses offered
Cons
long commute
Awesome Family/Teamwork atmosphere!
Plumbing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 23, 2015
Great place to be a part of an awesome team. They promote from within and encourage additional training frequently.
Growth potential and advancement is available. Management will allow creativity and freedom but, not sink or swim mentality. Help is always available.
Pros
benefits, working conditions, team-work centered and tons of respect.
Cons
cost of attendance is high (like it is everywhere).
Not American Sign Language compatiable
American Sign Language Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 28, 2014
While I enjoy teaching at any setting and place, this college is not ideal for a career in which you expect advancement in American Sign Language. Very often, 1 of the 2 classes available is closed due to low number of enrollment. Their beliefs of a minimum number or students does not follow national standards developed by the American Sign Language Teachers Association. I have often felt ignored when trying to develop an ASL 2 course in which students expressed interest in every semester after they have taken the first level course. Regardless of these challenges, students make teaching there enjoyable.
Great learning experience, Independent,
Radio Intern for WPCD Radio (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 21, 2014
During a typical day of work, I operated a radio station alone. This was done by monitoring a computer which displayed all optional songs, as well as many other tasks. For example, I'd have to consistently check the status of the control room and machinery for the station. I also took requests from callers and
I worked alone on this job so I never interacted with any co-workers. I learned of course to work alone but also how to be confident and comfortable speaking to others through talking on-air.
The enjoyable part of this job was that I learned to trust myself and my decisions if need be. The more difficult part of this job is contacting help if an emergency occurs.
Pros
peaceful, trusting, encourages multitasking
Cons
no hands on assistance
Great opportunity to teach and to impact lives.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Easy going atmosphere that promotes and challenges oneself to master the knowledge you teach. Management is easy going and fun to work for as well as the co-workers. Hardest part is tailoring each experience to the different groups that change every year. Most enjoyable part is to see the students succeed and grow as adults.
Easy, but boring
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 17, 2014
The job of delivering mail around the school campus was just easy, but it's just something that I think I would be better challenged with.
Pros
easy work
Cons
temporary job, limited work
great!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 27, 2013
Great atmosphere to work in! Helpful co-workers, friendly students and room for advancement.
Always meeting new people
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 22, 2013
Classroom assistant with a College teacher, in which i was responsible for helping others learn and explore the use of computers.
A good school with great colleagues and stellar students.
Adjunct Faculty, Fine and Applied Arts (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 21, 2013
Teaching evening drawing classes was challenging and rewarding--each class meeting was spent conducting classes of fifteen to twenty five students with a wide range of ages and talents, organizing assignments and setting up for still life sketches, teaching perspective and even life drawing. Directing students through the principles of design and aesthetic theory and helping them achieve mastery in the subject was a joyous and rewarding job.
Pros
the free exchange of ideas and sharing of vision.
Cons
part time and not much opportunity for advancement.
Dynamic days
Fitness Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 17, 2013
A typical day at work includes many different dynamics within the health and fitness world as well as clerical realm. It will range from answering class registration and grade breakdown to general fitness questions. I have learned about the wide range of the student body mindset with respect to classes and time management while working with pleasant student workers and peers. The hardest part of the job is explaining to students that are in a failing grade point average that they must repeat the class involved with the use of the Parkland fitness center. The best part of my job includes enjoying time with coworkers and watching the health of others improve.
Community college with university expectations and the help you need to get accomplish your goals.
Student Technologist/Internship (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 25, 2012
Parkland College was a great place to start after highschool since I had no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up. The guidance counselors and advisors are very helpful and suggested taking a personality placement test to help me figure out what I would be good at and find the most fulfilling as a career. I began by taking general education classes which would transfer to a four year university. My experience at Parkland was such a positive one that I suggested to my own children to start there before attending a four year university.
Slow Paced
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 21, 2012
Work was slow-paced for the time being, but when it came to eventual deliveries, there was nothing much to comment upon.
Autonomia aos estágiarios
Estagiária (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 3, 2013
Depois de ter sido informada dos objetivos e do prazo de entrega, recebi total autonomia para alcançá-los. O horário de trabalho e as tarefas a serem executadas no dia eram escolhidas por mim. Este modo de trabalhar me ensinou a ter disciplina e a pedir ajuda quando tinha duvidas. Meus colegas de trabalho estavam sempre dispostos a ajudar e a dar conselhos se eu não conseguisse resolver um problema. O mais difícil foi o contato telefônico,em inglês, com as empresas. Me atrapalhava um pouco quando soletravam os e-mails mas com o tempo aprendi a prestar atenção e não confundir os "a" e "e". O mais agradável foi perceber que meu trabalho iria ajudar outros estudantes como eu no futuro.
Pros
autonomia
Cons
sem remuneração