Parkwest Medical Center Employee Reviews

Overall
SUrgery Staff Nurse and Educator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37923April 7, 2017
UTKMC was overall a good place to work. When they started cutting staff it made it very difficult to take care of your patients.I was new to not only the area but was new to nursing and felt like I was drowning all the time. Many of the older staff did not reach out and help much.
Pros
Lots of research
Cons
Not enough help
Fast pace, and large volume patient turnover on an average.
Admissions and discharge nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 1, 2017
Parkwest is very fast pace nursing with large volume of patient turnover. As a staff nurse on the surgical/oncology floor, experience and learning many skills is invaluable.

Some days could be more stressful than others, but patient care is first priority.

I have the priviledge to work with some of the best nurses I have ever known. We work very well as a team.
Pros
Work with an excellent team of staff nurses.
Cons
Sometimes no lunch, few restoom breaks. Hours after shift ends to complete charting.
I loved working for this company!
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 30, 2017
This is an amazing company to work for! I enjoyed my shifts. I learned a lot about how the hospital operates. It was a positive work culture. My manager was amazing.
Rn - ccu
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 4, 2017
Very supportive and knowledgeable co-workers. Nurse to patient ratios for CCU were continuously excessive at 1:3 Very heavy reliance on newly graduated nurses. Due to heavy workload and short staffing lunch was always taken at the nurses station.
Great hospital, great employees
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 11, 2016
Great hospital with friendly and caring atmosphere. Wonderful physicians and caregivers and support staff. Central location, safe place to work, feel like part of a team.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers, wonderful workplace
Cons
Advancement opportunities low, manager, employee relations gap
Not the environment for women
Certified Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 28, 2016
If you are looking for good pay, advancement, or an overall healthy environment to work in- this is not the place. It is not safe and management does not appreciate you.
Pros
My coworkers in AT
Cons
Unsafe, low pay, unappreciated.
An Okay Workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 12, 2016
All team members have great character and are fun and enjoyable to work with. The management needs improvement. Opportunities for pay raises and advancement are slim. Because of the lack of staff every position has to perform extra job duties on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job is working hard and doing your best everyday knowing that you will not get a raise or advance in any way. The best part of the job by far is the team.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Management, Low wages
Great benefits but staff levels unacceptable
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 4, 2016
Fantastic benefits. Fair pay, CTO, etc.
Staffing levels for RNs are ridiculously understaffed. Hospital as a whole has a hard time maintaining staff levels for safe patient care. Team nursing with up to 12 or more patients or individual nursing with up to 9 patient on a semi-acute floors. Co-Workers are your friends and will help manage the stress of high case loads, but does not provide a good environment for full holistic care nursing. Must be a fast learner and be able to carry your own weight to work here.
great co workers bad ratios no support from management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 16, 2016
Make less, work harder. Horrible patient ratios with unsafe acuity. No support from administration. You are given more patients than you can give quality care. When safety issues are brought up we are told not to use that word and to say challenging instead. Unsafe is the correct word. Nothing is changed, and no help is offered. It has been this way for the last 3 years at least. The co workers are wonderful but leave often due to staffing. Up until recently they have worked with scheduling good but that has changed.
Pros
floor staff is great
Cons
Pay, staffing ratios, no support, unfreindly charting system
productive and fun place to work. Outstanding benefits.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 18, 2015
Obtain report from off going shift, Obtain vital signs on all patients, Assist with activities of daily living, assist patients to bathe, feed patients if needed, transport to medical imaging, assist nurses, obtain ekg's. My co-workers were great. Hardest part of the job was short staff and the aquity of the patients.
Pros
good pay, benefits were wonderful
Cons
short staffed
The ER at Parkwest
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 14, 2015
I had an amazing manager! She was fair, reliable, and understanding. She never asked anyone to do something she was unwilling to do herself. My co-workers were like family, and awesome people to be around. I loved my job at Parkwest!
Pros
Great people, updated equipment, great manager
Cons
pay, rude patients
Parkwest, Leconte
Custom (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 1, 2015
-Job Title: Custom Protection Officer
-Job Duties: Force Protection, Asset Protection, Patient Protection, Follow all Local/goverment Laws, Force BioHazard Protection, Force Nuclear Medicine Protection etc.
-Job Post: Parkwest Medical Center- Januaray 2015-July 2015
Leconte Medical Center- July 2015-Present
Emergency Room can get interesting.
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 8, 2015
I was a registration clerk in the ER. I enjoyed the job because I enjoy the medical side of things. The uniforms aren't the best, and are long sleeves so you get hot easily. You stand your entire shift almost. You do get shift diff which is awesome. Flexible schedules. I did deal with some drama while I was there. Management isn't good about getting onto people who slack.
Pros
Decent pay, shift diff, medical enviroment
Cons
standing long periods of time, horrible uniforms, drama
Demand on RN's atrocious
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 29, 2015
I've mostly enjoyed my time at Parkwest as an RN, but was regularly taking 8 and 9 patients every night. CNA's are scarce too. Management always said, "I'm trying to hire staff," but 1 year working there, I've never experienced much of a break in nurse to patient demands. Smaller floors don't have the staffing problems as the larger units, but they're strapped too. Doctors complain that staffing is a problem, but they're also unable to get us nurses get more help. It's like administration doesn't care. Overall, it's ridiculous and why nursing unions exist. Unfortunately, this hospital is non-union.
Pros
job security, good patients, most doctors are good to work with
Cons
nurse-patient ratios, long hours, no support from management or administration
More smiles and greetings in one hallway than an entire week outside of work
Registered Nurse, Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 27, 2015
As previously stated, there are many nights where I function as SL, have my own group of patients, and serve as Health Unit Coordinator. Though it can be very challenging at times, you have to enjoy it...you have to look for that silver lining. I have learned that patience is a virtue (though it is still weakness), how to have crucial conversations and still maintain friendships, and that a lot of times you do have to step back and look at the big picture even if you don't like what you see. Staffing shortages have seemed unsurmountable yet we are still amazingly very successful. I work with some of the most incredible folks. I also enjoy the wide variety of patients we see on our Med-Surg floor. I enjoy getting to know the patients and their life stories.
it was a qiute
HIM specialist (Former Employee) –  knoxville TnFebruary 26, 2015
Collect charts, assemble them in the proper order and inspect them for completion. Retrieve information from the charts and the computer when requested by authorized personnel. Answer telephone inquiries concerning medical records maintaining the HIPPA guide lines. Scan charts and index into the right category. Filing charts in alphabetical and numerical order, faxing and emailing documents.
Productive place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 27, 2015
I ensure the safety of all patients. I assess vitals and overall health condition. I learn something new everyday that always helps me preform my job better. The hardest part of my job is trying to care for 12 or more patients at a time, but I enjoy the appreciation my patients get from my assistance.
Wonderful workplace
Registered Nurse, Staff (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
I really enjoy the people and the workplace. Built great relationships with coworkers. Family atmosphere. The most difficult part of it is being short handed; however, that is part of working in a hospital. I still love working there.
Pros
Freindly staff
Cons
Large workload
Rewarding but demanding job.
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 1, 2015
Patient Care is always number one. It is a very fast pace hospital to work for. I have learn many different things working in health care and it's one of the hardest but rewarding jobs a person can do. I love seeing people get well and go home to their families.
Fast pace, quick patient turnover rate. Great and helpful staff.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 10, 2014
Fast pace, quick patient turnover rate. Great and helpful staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Parkwest Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Parkwest Medical Center Reviews by Location