Patch.com Employee Reviews

Patch, Patch, Patch...
Online Community Producer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2018
There were good thing about working for Patch -- regular schedule, not too many evenings, and most of the stories were pretty low stakes, since it's neighborhood news. I also worked for a few journalists I really admire.

Now the bad: low pay, no benefits, and since I should say it again, low pay! They classified us as freelancers/contractors, but of course, you couldn't make your own hours, and it was essentially a full-time job, 8-3:30 with some evenings. I came in below the poverty line, after all was said and done. I also watched good, productive journalists get dropped through multiple rounds of layoffs, while the ad sales team, who sold literally almost nothing -- hence the layoffs -- took in over $80k each "because they need to stay motivated." Yada yada. It was good -- or something -- while it lasted.
Not a Great Place to Be
Editor (Former Employee) –  Township of Jefferson, NJJanuary 16, 2018
Patch was a tough place to work. The workday was very long, and each editor had to do everything themselves. There was no help. The company was sold and many people got laid off, myself included.
Cons
long days
Terrible editors, low funded
Freelance Reporter (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 15, 2018
Could have been a great opportunity, but owners of Patch hired inexperienced editors who did not possess more knowledge of issues than the reporters working for them.
Great community-based writing opportunities
CONTRIBUTING WRITER (Former Employee) –  Belmont Shore, CANovember 20, 2017
I started this position as an intern and quickly moved into the position as contributing writer. In this position, I was able to make my own hours and write about a specific topic that interested me the most. All communication was done remotely, but I still felt that the management was strong.
Pros
Great learning and experience
Cons
No pay
Grueling hours but very rewarding work
Community Editor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 7, 2017
Patch.com was a very tough place to work but omg is it worth it. Bosses are great, work is rewarding and it really upped my game as a journalist. You can the work as hard or as easy as you want.
Pros
good benefits, good compensation
Cons
lots of hours
Decent place to work when they wanted you there
Research Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
My gig was a contract work from home position. The actual office was a really nice space with things like snacks, a pool table and a tap for beer after hours. While everyone I interacted with in the office was nice, I often got the feeling that they didn't want me there. They only allowed the work at home people to come in once a week claiming that it cost them thousands of dollars to have me sit in one of the dozens of empty spaces. It was a decent temporary job for building experience, but I wasn't terribly torn up when they restructured and axed my entire division.
Patch! An industry leader
Advertising/Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Will County, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Love the home office and the chance to develop my market area.
Many new clients over the years that love the product. At this point the company has been downsizing and wanted to keep options open
Pros
Dealing with clients. Local. $$
Cons
Long Hours
Great culture and learning experience
Graphic Designer/Animator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
Wonderful people here. Very welcoming and warm atmosphere and an amazing place to learn new skills. Free snacks, coffee, and occasional lunch are always great.
Unique concept - hyperlocal news site
Relief Editor-In-Chief, Journalist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 13, 2015
Patch.com is everywhere! I enjoyed working for Patch.com writing local news stories and features. Because of the nature of the company, I had a lot of opportunities to write about a broad spectrum of subjects, including lifestyle, business, breaking news, fashion, food reviews, society and social events. I loved getting to shoot photos to accompany my writing. It gave me a lot of practice and the opportunity to get better at photography. Because of Patch.com, I have hundreds of photos and news stories published across the country. That's exciting!
Pros
Great team of editor and writers
Cons
Budget cuts=cuts in staff and freelancers
It's freelance
Freelance (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJMay 29, 2014
It's freelance! You can't expect much. If you work, you get paid. I always received constructive feedback from my editors.
Good worker
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee) –  Malverne-Lynbrook and west hempsteadApril 6, 2014
Packing boxes as well learn alot boss is very nice the hardest part of the job is working in a room that is sometimes very cold helping my boss on the floor
Great Ways to Get Local Happenings
Photojournalist and Business Liaison (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2014
Online publication where the community can upload events, stories and more. Each business gets a free description regarding their business. My job was to visit each business, show them how to claim their listing and take photos of their business if they requested. Each day I met new people showing them a free marketing tool as well as introduce them to a way of the public getting to know who PATCH.com is. Wonderful support from my co-workers and the supervisor that hired me.
Pros
healthcare, environment
Commision, became a great writer
Journalist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2014
This was my job all throughout high school. I learned a lot about magazines and other online publications on how they work and how to write effectively for them. On the down side, I also dedicated most of my time to these stories and accepted not very good pay not that I am looking at it. But for any High School student I highly recommend.
Patch.com was a good place to start.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Working for Patch.com gave me useful job experience, but was poorly managed and reneged on many promises. The money was constantly changing and job requirements constantly shifting due to a vague mission and purpose of the site.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Very poorly managed
A sad loss
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
Great brand, great values, good people. Would have been great if it could be maintained. Too much, too fast, too expensively executed.
It was fun while it lasted
Regional Editor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 3, 2013
Patch had a great culture. You had to have an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to innovate to succeed.
Pros
Culture, pay
Cons
Communication
limited future
local sales executive (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 26, 2013
Patch is a good concept. However Patch management grossly under-estimated the amount of time and effort it would take to: build a local brand, build traffic (with no Marketing), build a consistent readership, build renewable advertisers, and displace long standing competitors in this space. This takes 4-5 years minimum, but Patch wanted it to happen in about 2 years. Some managers are very good. Others are very green and not effective. There was little, if any, Marketing. The company is in constant flux and never seems to stay on 1 path or strategy for very long. The long-term/territory strategy that Patch needs is totally different from most dot.com strategies, yet Patch is run like the typical dot.com.
Pros
local concept
Cons
little marketing
Great Start up environment
Director of Advertising Sales (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 26, 2013
A typical day at Patch for a Regional Manager is helping to develop a #1 sales team. I learned when and when not to move forward with a fast growth strategy. Management from the HQ level was lacking direction -- this is why Aol came in and removed the top leadership. My co-workers were the best in the industry and we had an incredible working relationship. The hardest part of this job was trying to understand leadership decisions and why they were made. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with, that I lead as a sales and the Patch sites we sold onto.
Work-Life balance does not exist
Editor (Former Employee) –  West CoastJuly 30, 2013
Management is never satisfied with the amount of hours the editorial staff puts in. One person expected to report on cities as big as 100,000 or more people and never provided enough support to get a decent job done. The editors who received the most praise were the ones working 16 or more hours a day, and they all burned out and quit. This leaves the overall product always lacking for the readers.
Cons
full tunover in management, constant changes without real testing first to see if it was a good idea, bad pay for editors, ridiculous expectations for work hours, no consistent structure to give regular days off
Eciting job with start up company offered multi-media reporting opportunities
Editor (Former Employee) –  Essex County, New JerseyApril 17, 2013
At Patch.com, editors were responsible for all aspects of local news gathering: reporting, photography, videography, hiring freelancers and maintaining a budget for contractors. Daily responsibilities including finding/reporting/posting fresh content every day in every focus area: local government, police and fire, business news, education, features, arts, etc. Local editors became a vital part of the communities we covered, working closely with police information officers and fire officials, local politicians, business owners, schools, arts organizations and residents. There was no central office; we worked from home or on our beat and attended staff meetings 2-4 times a month at cafes and diners.

The most difficult part of the job was single-handedly trying to cover all the news in a town of 50,000 people.

The most enjoyable part of the job was creating/editing a news site I was proud of, and continually providing the community with high quality, fair-minded news reporting. Working independently and finding/reporting compelling human stories was deeply satisfying to me. I am grateful to have been given this opportunity.
Pros
opportunities to publish photo galleries/video stories + regular news stories, excitement of a new company, opportunities to be innovative/experimental, as editor, having control of an entire news site, having a measurable impact on the community, learning how a city works, the ability to report all varieties of news.
Cons
7-day work weeks/16-hour workdays, high burnout rate among employees, low morale among employees, high volume of work at odds with quality news gathering, high turnover rate of managers.