Patch.com

Patch.com Employee Reviews

Unique concept - hyperlocal news site
Relief Editor-In-Chief, Journalist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 13, 2015
Pros: Great team of editor and writers
Cons: Budget cuts=cuts in staff and freelancers
Patch.com is everywhere! I enjoyed working for Patch.com writing local news stories and features. Because of the nature of the company, I had a lot of opportunities to write about a broad spectrum of subjects, including lifestyle, business, breaking news, fashion, food reviews, society and social events. I loved getting to shoot photos to accompany my writing. It gave me a lot of practice and the opportunity to get better at photography. Because of Patch.com, I have hundreds of photos and news stories published across the country. That's exciting!
No longer a thing
Freelance reporter and local editor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: work from home, good pay
Cons: no longer a thing.
This place no longer exists. It's not in actual business anymore. It's just ads after the place folded and AOL pulled most of the funding. It's sad. It was a good place in the beginning.
It's freelance
Freelance (Former Employee), Toms River, NJMay 29, 2014
It's freelance! You can't expect much. If you work, you get paid. I always received constructive feedback from my editors.
Good worker
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee), Malverne-Lynbrook and west hempsteadApril 6, 2014
Packing boxes as well learn alot boss is very nice the hardest part of the job is working in a room that is sometimes very cold helping my boss on the floor
Great Ways to Get Local Happenings
Photojournalist and Business Liaison (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 3, 2014
Pros: healthcare, environment
Online publication where the community can upload events, stories and more. Each business gets a free description regarding their business. My job was to visit each business, show them how to claim their listing and take photos of their business if they requested. Each day I met new people showing them a free marketing tool as well as introduce them to a way of the public getting to know who PATCH.com is. Wonderful support from my co-workers and the supervisor that hired me.
Commision, became a great writer
Journalist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2014
This was my job all throughout high school. I learned a lot about magazines and other online publications on how they work and how to write effectively for them. On the down side, I also dedicated most of my time to these stories and accepted not very good pay not that I am looking at it. But for any High School student I highly recommend.
Patch.com was a good place to start.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: very poorly managed
Working for Patch.com gave me useful job experience, but was poorly managed and reneged on many promises. The money was constantly changing and job requirements constantly shifting due to a vague mission and purpose of the site.
A sad loss
Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
Great brand, great values, good people. Would have been great if it could be maintained. Too much, too fast, too expensively executed.
It was fun while it lasted
Regional Editor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: culture, pay
Cons: communication
Patch had a great culture. You had to have an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to innovate to succeed.
limited future
local sales executive (Current Employee), New YorkAugust 26, 2013
Pros: local concept
Cons: little marketing
Patch is a good concept. However Patch management grossly under-estimated the amount of time and effort it would take to: build a local brand, build traffic (with no Marketing), build a consistent readership, build renewable advertisers, and displace long standing competitors in this space. This takes 4-5 years minimum, but Patch wanted it to happen in about 2 years. Some managers are very good. Others are very green and not effective. There was little, if any, Marketing. The company is in constant flux and never seems to stay on 1 path or strategy for very long. The long-term/territory strategy that Patch needs is totally different from most dot.com strategies, yet Patch is run like the typical dot.com.
Great Start up environment
Director of Advertising Sales (Current Employee), MichiganAugust 26, 2013
A typical day at Patch for a Regional Manager is helping to develop a #1 sales team. I learned when and when not to move forward with a fast growth strategy. Management from the HQ level was lacking direction -- this is why Aol came in and removed the top leadership. My co-workers were the best in the industry and we had an incredible working relationship. The hardest part of this job was trying to understand leadership decisions and why they were made. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with, that I lead as a sales and the Patch sites we sold onto.
Work-Life balance does not exist
Editor (Former Employee), West CoastJuly 30, 2013
Cons: full tunover in management, constant changes without real testing first to see if it was a good idea, bad pay for editors, ridiculous expectations for work hours, no consistent structure to give regular days off
Management is never satisfied with the amount of hours the editorial staff puts in. One person expected to report on cities as big as 100,000 or more people and never provided enough support to get a decent job done. The editors who received the most praise were the ones working 16 or more hours a day, and they all burned out and quit. This leaves the overall product always lacking for the readers.
Eciting job with start up company offered multi-media reporting opportunities
Editor (Former Employee), Essex County, New JerseyApril 17, 2013
Pros: opportunities to publish photo galleries/video stories + regular news stories, excitement of a new company, opportunities to be innovative/experimental, as editor, having control of an entire news site, having a measurable impact on the community, learning how a city works, the ability to report all varieties of news.
Cons: 7-day work weeks/16-hour workdays, high burnout rate among employees, low morale among employees, high volume of work at odds with quality news gathering, high turnover rate of managers.
At Patch.com, editors were responsible for all aspects of local news gathering: reporting, photography, videography, hiring freelancers and maintaining a budget for contractors. Daily responsibilities including finding/reporting/posting fresh content every day in every focus area: local government, police and fire, business news, education, features, arts, etc. Local editors became a vital part of the communities we covered, working closely with police information officers and fire officials, local politicians, business owners, schools, arts organizations and residents. There was no central office; we worked from home or on our beat and attended staff meetings 2-4 times a month at cafes and diners.

The most difficult part of the job was single-handedly trying to cover all the news in a town of 50,000 people.

The most enjoyable part of the job was creating/editing a news site I was proud of, and continually providing the community with high quality, fair-minded news reporting. Working independently and finding/reporting compelling human stories was deeply satisfying to me. I am grateful to have been given this opportunity.
Great company and a great learning experience
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), AOL 710 Broadway, NY NYFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: covering local events, being the first on the scene.
Cons: i only freelance, therefore, i don't get health insurance.
Patch, AOL, and Huffington Post are great sources to get news and entertainment. I freelance for Patch and it is a rewarding experience. I continue to learn about the craft of journalism. I enjoy covering entertainment events and writing restaurant reviews.
Freelancing for Patch.com
Freelance writer (Former Employee), MarylandNovember 8, 2012
Pros: good company to write for
Cons: impossible to move up unless you already work for patch
Patch.com is a good company to freelance for. I was given a lot of freedom to write what I wanted and build my source list on my beat. But forget trying to move up unless you already work for Patch because their policy is to hire from within, even if you have more local knowledge of the area than an out-of-town person working for Patch who expresses interest in the job.
Start-up, flexible and advancement
Freelance Columnist/Reporter (Current Employee), Norwood, MASeptember 13, 2012
Began working with this company at its inception and was able to grow in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, job security is dependent on advertising and the larger corporation. Interactive with the community and was able to foster writing skills with the assistance of a strong editorial team.
Productive and fun environment to work in
Freelance Advertising and Marketing Designer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2012
Patch was a great place to work out that always kept you feeling fresh. The people here made coming to work even better.
Patch.com is a great local website to find news and information about the community you live in.
Regional Publisher (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2012
Pros: launching new products, working with people, working from home
Cons: it help, help desk sometimes to awhile
For the most part everyone worked from home so a typical day started out with multiple conference calls. I then would handle any business I needed to take care of personally and then move right into working with my team whether it be on sales calls, meetings etc... Depending on the day I had multiple upper level management calls to attend via web ex so I would have to find a place to dial in. Last but not least I would finish up at home by answering emails, voicemails and preparing for the next day.

I learned how to launch a business from the ground up and the amount of time that is required to making a new brand/product successful.

Management was good, for the most part my team had what we needed and there was constant training/conference calls about all aspects of the business, you could view calendars to schedule a training of something we were not clear on. The goals and daily tasks of what needed to be accomplished were straight forward and easy to understand. Although I am far from our headquarters, I never felt to far away due to the support.

My co-workers were great, we were all spread out throughout the country so we constantly relied on each other and helped each other grow their market by sending ideas, strategies, clients, etc...

There were two things that were really hard, the first is when to stop for the day. When you work from home it is real easy to keep working into the night making for long days... you really need to manage this and walk away from your office/computer and get some personal/family time. The second hardest part of the job was finding good – more... people that can be successful working from home, most people have not worked from home and are not sure if they are disciplined enough to do so.

There were many facets of the job that were enjoyable. I am self driven so I enjoy working from home as well as working with my team, we made sure to make time for team functions outside of work as well. Building a brand from the ground up, although really time consuming it is very rewarding. Launching a new brand into a market not knowing how it will be received can be stressful, but the pros out weigh the cons and make it all worth it as long as you pour everything you got into it, you will feel that strong sense of accomplishment. – less
Productive and fun workplace
PatchU Intern (Former Employee), glen cove, new yorkJuly 2, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
A typical day at the vignette consisted of assigning stories to staff writers, laying outy my sections, and writing editorial peieces. I learned to perfect my computer skills with InDesign, Photoshop and Adobe. Management was very supportive and aided us with anything we needed. The other editors were very easy to work with and were eager to learn the world of jounralism. the hardest part of the job was finding writers to cover all of the events that I wanted to feature. the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the finished product every week
Great opportunity to gain experience, kind of lonely though
Local Editor (Former Employee), Red Bank, NJMay 24, 2012
Pros: stimulating and varied work, good healthcare plan, provided excellent equipment
Cons: isolated, not much editorial oversight
The job required keeping a local news website current, so I was producing an average of three pieces of relevant content a day, be they articles, videos or photo galleries. We had a daily 10am conference call in which editors across our region discussed what stories they were running on their sites and working on. Everyone worked from home, but we had monthly work lunches. Effective time management and content planning skills were certainly things I learned through the job, which was often a whirlwind of tracking down multiple stories at once. It could be lonely at times, as I did not see my co-workers or manager very often. Though it could be stressful at times, I enjoyed my time there and it was a great chance to build my skills.

Patch.com Salaries