Patelco Credit Union Employee Reviews

great place to work, but not much room for advancement
Member Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 25, 2016
A typical day at Patelco being a teller/MSR entails the usual deposits/withdrawals that go along with banking as well as loans. There usually isn't a day without at least one member needing assistance on some sort of issue they are having with their account that are usually easy to solve.

The great thing about Patelco is the company genuinely cares about it's members and NEVER try to push products on them they do not need. It is a not-for-profit organization which adds to the integrity they believe in.

My managers and co-workers are all great and very easy to get along with. They create a fun yet professional work environment.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with member's financial woes as it can be very disheartening. California is an expensive place to live and being in the financial field reveals just how hard it can be for some people.

My favorite part of the job is tied to the hardest part of it because there are so any opportunities to help members ease their woes and see light at the end of the tunnel. With a multitude of products, loan options ans financial analysts to assist our members, we almost always have some form of releif for our members, and this typically ends well for the members as well as the company. It's a win/win.
Pros
great benefits and 401(k)
Cons
not much room or advancement
Busy work environment
Consumer Loan Representative (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJuly 28, 2016
Poor Management, good benefits, friendly hard working employees. There is always a lot to learn, changes are frequently.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Stressful environment, poor management
Member Services
Member Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 8, 2016
Always feels good to help members with their financial decisions, banking, IRA and making them feel safe with their money. Great co-workers and management makes you believe in yourself.
Unstable
MSS (Former Employee) –  Danville, CANovember 10, 2016
Everyday employee is not sure what they will be facing even daily routine work.
Management is disrespectful and loud. Very unstable organization at this point people are leaving.
Pros
Good account
Cons
No breaks
no respect for emplyees
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAMay 16, 2016
was told there were many opportunities for advancement and full time work, it was a lie, worked everyone 30-35 hours a week to avoid paying any benefits, no full-time opportunities ever posted, workied weekends and holidays,
great company
TSC Member/Loan Department/Card Services/INet (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAMay 8, 2016
this company has great core values, always member orientated, advancement opportunities, work load is extensive and unrealistic
Pros
vacation and benefits
Cons
advancement oppurtunities, work load is extensive and unrealistic
Satisfied
MEMBER BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Patelco provide a very fast pace environment for the employees. The only issue with Patelco is they work their employees so hard and and for so many hours yet pay so low.
Cons
Not a high enough pay
Great Family Oriented Team
Front End Developer/Web Producer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMarch 1, 2016
The group I worked with is great. Excellent environment to be in, I looked forward to going into work everyday. Team leaders and management are very knowledgeable and willing to train. I have learned so much working for Patelco which is something I can bring along to next company I work for.
Pros
Hard working but laid back.
Young in branch staff, always changing.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJanuary 16, 2013
I have been with Patelco Credit Union for the past 5 years with great ambition to learn with every challenge that has come with working in a financial institution. I have worked at several locations within the company; San Francisco, Fremont , Santa Clara, Milpitas and Campbell.
Prior to Patelco I worked for CineLux theaters for 5 years in the Management department.
I am always looking to improved my career and goals to become the best I can be.
Pros
great healthcare, 401k
Cons
lacks consistent
Great People to work with, Stressful company to work for
Doer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 9, 2014
A typical day is nothing less than uncertain. Things change every day and you must be willing to follow a vision with an uncertain plan.

If you're looking for a place that preaches development but ok with complacency, then this is the place to work. Do not expect multiple opportunities for growth and development.

This will just be a JOB, not a career.
Pros
Benefits, Team Members
Cons
Lack of Leadership, poor planning, Stifling Management Team
Don't trust managment
Senior Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CANovember 1, 2015
Don't waist your time! After 2.5 years and commitment to excellent member service. I was lied to and so under valued I simply had to leave. I chose this position over another company 2.5 years ago. I am so full of regret. I hope this helps others while choosing a company to work for. If you just need a "job" and don't care about where, then maybe this can work for you. If your looking for a career or even a company that might value your commitment. Keep looking this is not the place for that. I have never reviewed a company and it pains me to do so. I feel sorry for my ex coworkers as they all felt as strong as I did about the environment they work at.

As the DM said to me after I gave my 2 weeks notice. " Good luck with your endeavors."
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Poor managment and district leads
Never felt so undervalued in my life!!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAApril 9, 2015
What can I say, I worked for this company for almost 2 1/2 years and assumed tons of responsibility happily I might add. There was so much turnover there wasn't any chance to get any formal training. At the end I did operational duties, was a teller, opened new accounts, and did loans and IRAs not to mention I also helped out at multiple branches in the South Bay Region (yes I'm calling you out). We received a raise once a year around April (based on the prior years performance), needless to say I was so incredibly offended at the 1% yes 1% raise (received April 2014) that I received after doing what I felt like was a good job, going above and beyond what was asked of me.

This company will waste your time, the South Bay Region will waste your time, and the specific people within that region will waste your time.

I usually don't write reviews for places but after learning about the raises for this year (based on 2014 performance) I am happy that they are changing their attitude. It is still a popularity contest among the higher ups (regional managers) so don't speak out.
Pros
Benefits and members
Cons
Everything else
Very good place to work, friendly employees and good encouragement from manager.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILApril 12, 2016
Responsible for providing excellent member experience by understanding needs and responding with more than member expects. Giving the best quality and service with every interaction.
Loans, opening and closing memberships, order and maintain vault cash for the branch.
Pros
Free coffee, tea, lots of snacks.
Cons
None.
Up and Coming
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 19, 2014
A typical day at Patelco would be helping out with the basic transactions on the teller line, working on audit compliance or other back office jobs in between helping members and sometimes (for me) processing new accounts and loans.

The people of Patelco are great. I have met some life long friends in my time working there. As far as management goes.....it all depends on where you are located, I've worked at a couple locations and have gotten mixed reviews from my own experiences and from the experiences of others. You have some managers that are hard workers, they see their employees struggling with transactions they come help or they see the lines are getting a bit too long and they come out and help. But then you have other managers who delegate all their work to their employees and take all the credit for it.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the people and the benefits. Most companies dont offer a 3% additional match to the max of 5% that they already give. Dental is free for some as well as low premiums on medical.

The hardest part of the job would be the fact that they have not modernized their systems. Everything is very slow and out dated but they are working on that.
Pros
Good benefits, Great Hours, and Good People
Cons
Little to no room for growth, Out Dated
Will give you skills to use outside of just Patelco
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 24, 2013
Patelco is a great place to work to for. The company makes sure that you will have enough resources to assit your members, from loans, paper work to training in sales. Patelco offers a great 401k and health benefits.
Pros
bonus, benefits
Cons
no advancement
No advancement and Sales
Member Service (Former Employee) –  Santa ClaraDecember 28, 2013
A typical day as a MSR will start with your pending, outbound email and phone calls. During the day you be required to cross-sell every product to every member that you help. If a member comes in to open a checking we have to offer credit card, auto loan, investment, and mortgage products. The reason we have to do this because it is part of our mystery shops. There will be days after work that you will have to do blind phone calling to members to cross-sell them credit union products. If you don't meet your goals you will receive a write-up.

There really is no formal training you just learn as go. Most departments in the back office do not like for you to call them unless you have a manager title. You are expected to know how to do everything even without any training.

The hardest part of the job is the stress you will be under from trying to meet your goals, and if you are able to meet your goals you will not be recognized for advancement instead they will just increase your goals. Patelco continually will look outside to hire employees than internally. Wages are low(for a credit union), no incentives for the sales, and benefits have gotten worse.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are able to help a member who is struggling with their finances or assisting a member with their first car purchase.
Pros
Helping members
Cons
Low wages, no advancement
Productive place not very much fun.
Member Service Representative, Teller Trainer (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJuly 24, 2012
Working there a normal day is going in at 9:45 have a meeting about our loans answer the questions for the day then open the doors at 10:00am. I learned about the whole banking world I had no idea about anything when I started so I learned a lot there. Co-workers were the greatest I've ever had they were always there willing to help and teach I'm still in contact with all of my co-workers. Management wasn't good pretty much a by the book kind of manager my branch manager would need help with way too many things he should already know even with little stuff like putting a hold on a check he wouldn't be able to think of a reason. Hardest thing about my job would have to be pushing loans down someone's throat that didn't need any. The most enjoyable would have to be talking to the members.
Pros
job events.
Cons
coaching sessions
Patelco is a great company to work for.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJuly 8, 2013
Patelco is a great company with amazing structure and management. I learned so much through the 6 months I was employed there; from opening accounts to approving loans. The most difficult part of my job was informing people that they had been denied for some products but Patelco gave me the training needed to tell them in a way that was not demeaning but rather sincere and apologetic. The camaraderie within patelco is something I have grown to miss, all the coworkers working together to help each other out. Although there are tose instances where employees from other departments aren't quite as helpful as you'd hope, but we did the best we could to keep our cool.
Pros
Amazing Company
Cons
Computer Systems were out dated.
A Poor, Demeaning Work Environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMay 8, 2014
The overall work environment here is poor both at the branches and at the headquarters location. The executives are famous for saying one thing and doing another.
Pros
Cons
Poor Pay, Inferior IT Systems, No Promotional Opportunities
Loan Closer in a Credit Union
Closer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 14, 2015
Mortgage servicing to pay taxes, ins, PMI, service mortgage loan accounts with accuracy. Advanced into Closing to fund residential Conventional loan products quickly and accurately. Fedline responsibilities to wire funds to title companies. enjoy working as a team in the same location. The hardest part of the duties is manipulating the system to make something work when the system is not capable of performing to certain product offers.
Pros
great benefits, vacation time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patelco Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9