PATERSON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews in United States

I love to work with people around me
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 4, 2016
I learned how to deal with all type of student
I learned that I have to respect and talk nicely in order to receive the same respect back
I learned how to work with others and get along
The hardest part of the job was to get everyone attention in some schools
Very good place to work
SCHOOL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 13, 2016
Performed confidential secretarial and clerical responsibilities necessary to assist the Principal and school staff in providing a safe and effective environment for the school and students.
Pros
great hours and benefits
Cons
area
Innovative and data driven work environment
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJDecember 1, 2015
Paterson Public Schools is a very diverse school district with people of all ethnic backgrounds that creates an atmosphere of acceptance and culture. The school district has a top down leadership policy. Teachers enjoy working with students as I do but, often feel like we do not have autonomy. The best part of being in this district is the rich culture, diversity, and history.
Pros
History and culture
Cons
No autonomy and low pay
Diverse with opportunities for advancement.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 20, 2015
A diverse organization with multiple opportunities for advancement, personal growth and professional development.
Pros
Benefits and Healthcare
Cons
Subjective
Productive with the students
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 11, 2015
A typical day is working with the students and making sure they understand the material given to them in the classroom. I enjoy working with students and staff getting positive feedback from both students and parents. I have learned how to manage a classroom and prepare lesson plans. I also enjoy having all students involve in what the lesson of the day is.
Pros
Working with students and staff
Cons
Healthcare
A typical Day
Teacher /Faciltator (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJMarch 23, 2015
Paterson schools lack funding, supplies and are overcrowded .So
over morning coffee any staff member could participate in our AM chats. We discussed pooling money for supplies...we would discuss
lack of disciplinary support from our principal...cleanliness .of our 2 x 4 teachers room...etc.
Over my 30 years I learned that staff members are not enemies but friends.
I learned to NEVER discuss another teachers' methods or teaching style within a group.
We as a unit learned to work together and not apart.
The most important part of the job was seeing success at the end of the school year, knowing every peak and valley was well worth it !
Pros
learning from others, meeting socially with staff, developing life long friendships.
Cons
lack of supplies, incomplete sets of books, disciplinary problems
Great
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 18, 2015
I work at the Paterson Public Schools as a substitute teacher. I have experience working with all grade levels within the district.
Pros
working with the students
Cons
there are none
Not very good, that's why I'm looking for a better job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at work consists of my calling the the service at 5:20 in the morning to get a job for the day. Sometimes I get a long term job, possibly for 20 days at a time then on the phone again. I need break. I would like an opportunity to do something in the Graphic Arts field that I would enjoy.
Pros
as a substitute teacher there are no pros, its just a part time job.
Cons
i'm paid $110 a day
Fast paced.
Security Officer, Control Security (Former Employee) –  patersonDecember 7, 2014
Working in the Paterson Schools was fast paced. Co workers and supervisors provide a team that is able to keep the students safe.
Stressful and Awarding Profession
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJuly 16, 2014
Working with students is the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is not being valued for your hard work
and dedication.
student teacher
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJMarch 25, 2014
I loved doing my student teaching in this district. I completed student teaching at school #29 and although not a paid employee, I was treated just the same and felt welcomed.
Substitute teacher at various schools within Paterson Public Schools
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 21, 2014
A substitute typical day consisted of maintaining classroom management and following the teacher's lesson plans. I enjoyed a long-termed assignment in which I recorded grades, attended parents' night and maintained the class for a period of 3 months.
I've learned how to be prepared at all times with lessons, word searches, and questions pertaining to the study.
The co-workers, which were teachers were always willing to instruct me in areas that I wasn't sure about.
Child Study Team rocks
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 18, 2014
The Board of Ed was a great place to meet new ppl. Speech therapists, Psychologists, Case Workers. You learned what a normal day for them was.
Cons
unorganized
Other teachers were great to work with, however district directives and expectations were contradictory and rigid.
Business Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  BTMF- Paterson, NJJanuary 7, 2014
Work climate very tense and threatening during my last two years there; a dynamic time of significant change, confusion, contradiction, and upheaval.
Pros
elevator worked more times than not
Cons
deplorable bathroom conditions
Fast pace, team emvironment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 5, 2014
Every was a challenge. As a team we had to comply with our customer satisfaction and need. Every customer was precious and we love to serve them making them satisfied.
Things get done
Sub Secretary for Business Services (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJDecember 11, 2013
My day at work is productive,busy which I like. I worked with several different depts and I've learned alot from working with human resources,
Payroll, transportation, accounts payable & purchasing. Some know how to manage in a professional way & some do not. My co-workers have been very nice & easy to work with some are team-players and some not. I feel that when you work as a team things get done right away and everything runs smoothly and I find that you get along more better with your co-workers and theirs peace as well in the work place.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no benefits for myself because i work per diem
excellent
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJDecember 21, 2012
Woring in the paterson public schools, have experienced many deversified teaching experiences. have taught from Preschool handicapped to the 8th grade. have taught children with various special needs as well as in the regular classroom. am very capable of designing a program to meet the needs of each individual student.
Pros
very respected
Cons
distance/traveling
A wonderful work experience. I myself gained much professional growth as an educator at this school.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 26, 2012
This was a great school. It had a tight administration which fostered structure and guidance for the students. The hardest part of the job is having your students gain the self esteem they need to succeed.
The most enjoyable part is knowing you helped make it happen for them. There are always students and situations that stay with you forever.
Never again and wouldn't recommend working there!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  PatersonOctober 5, 2012
Administration uncaring with a "CYA" attitude, not a supportive environment, not everyone is there for the right reasons, the children, and too much political involvement as district is run by the state.

No contract for years, no recognition of what employees are accomplishing with students, very frustrating and stressful work environment.
Pros
the students are incredible!!!!
Cons
just about everything else
Teacher of Music and K-5 students
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 26, 2012
In addition to teaching, I gave extra help to students who needed it and was a test administrator.
Pros
interaction with children.
Cons
the governor cut the education budget and i was let go.