Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

No room for advancement, nor any pay increases, stagnant
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 5, 2016
Decent pay if you work 140 hours in 10 days. Hard to balance life and work. Asked to work illegal hours but document them so they do not appear to be illegal. No room for promotion (unless you're from Texas or prior military). False promises of a pay raise. Constant reminders that you're lucky you still have a job due to market conditions. No clear expectations on the day to day duties. Goals constantly changing depending on what Houston thinks is important at that moment. When the market crashes the company doesn't cut day rates and sends its employees home to stay out of the red. Shady leadership and management.
Pros
Building relationships with rig employees
Cons
Shady leadership, no incentives to perform, military biased
Great job for hands on people.
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Job was extremely physical, required thick skin common sense, intelligence and muscle endurance. This is not a job for the light of heart I have seen grown men cry, throw up and quit in just a few days. I have also seen a 140 lbs woman do everything that I did, pressure washers, wrenches, hand tools and hammers.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, time off.
Cons
Unstable work industry.
Large company
Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  Ruston, LAJanuary 27, 2017
Large company, nice equipment and very high safety standards. There are advancement opportunities but you have to be serious about your job and the safety of you amd your fellow employees. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not many benefits
fun place to work
Truck Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXNovember 21, 2016
patterson-uti Drilling is a great place to work at, great management, heavy duty shop equipment they also offer very competitive pay and great benefits.
Good learning experience from plugging wells to drilling
Floor Hand/Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXNovember 15, 2016
I went from plugging wells to drilling at Paterson uti very fast pace and good insurance benifits good pay the only reson I left was because my father passed away and I had to go take care of my mother
Hard labor
Floor Hand/ motorman/derrick hand (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXApril 29, 2016
Typical day: early morning safety meeting, make relief and find out what operation is taking place that day, Fill out safety JRA's related to operations being performed. Make connections of new pipe going into hole, clean while drilling and or conduct visual inspections on equipment for proper and safe operation of said equipment. As motorman check the 3 generators ensure working properly check air tanks, hydraulic lines, mud pumps checking fluids.
What I learned: That your limitations are what you make of them.
Delegate tasks to floor-hands.
Co-workers: Nothing can be done without teamwork and harmony. Hardest part of the job: Everything
Pros
Learned to work hard and safe at the same time. monetary compensation
Cons
One of the most dangerous jobs to work in.
Great
Derrick Hand/Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  North DakotaNovember 16, 2016
Great company to work for they have great benifits the only problem anyone would have is the time away from home. It's 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off
A leader in it's industry
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Woodward, OKAugust 23, 2016
When i started working here, there was no days off. They did begin adding an additional member to each crew, and added another crew to start a days off schedule. They offered good wages and benefit packages.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, started working a schedule that allowed days off
Loved working here
Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAAugust 10, 2016
I worked for Patterson for 2 years and i loved the job. It was hard work, Great pay and awesome benefits. There was always great team work and my coworkers became family. Hoping to get rehired since the layoff.
Experience
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 7, 2016
Experience was good. Good benefits. in the beginning I had job security. Was not able to advance within my company although I worked there for 9 years.
Pros
insurance
Cons
management
Great place to work.
Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Must be willing to work hard great place and people to work with. The time on and time off worked well with the work life balance. The management believe in safe work practices that is most important while working in this industry.
Excellent company
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXApril 19, 2016
Steady but hard job with good pay & benefits for many yrs. Due to down turn in industry, I have retired. I was in charge of rig 24 hrs. a day for 14 day hitch. I trained & mentored crews, reported to office & dealt with oil co. personnel. Staying awake around the clock in times of hole & equipment problems. Working with excellent crews to solve problems.
Pros
Co. vehicle, 401K
Cons
Work away from home 14 days, work extra days w/ no pay
productive workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fruita, CO 81521June 21, 2016
patterson is a great company to work for with good benefits and a fair schedule. keeps up to date with saftey regulations
working in the really cold weather isn`t all that fun
floorhand (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 10, 2016
drilling fast and productive how to work at fast pace but yet safe management is always available to answer questions sometime ahead of the plan sleeping on the top bunk and having to get down to go to the restroom going home on pay day to my family that I`ve missed all week.
Pros
going out to town with my co-workers
Cons
just love the 401k
Loved it
Field Instructor/ motorperson (Former Employee) –  Midland, TX 79706December 12, 2016
I was very fond of working with this company, for being a woman 'Joe' gave me the chance to 'prove' myself out there on the rig and I loved every minute of the hard work! This company has great values and safety standards set into play.
Pros
safety classes, training, week on and week off
Cons
long hours (weren't too bad)
Challenging but improves you as a person.
Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAMarch 31, 2016
Physical work and paid very well. Was told during orientation that we did not have to worry about being laid off witch due to the huge dip in the economy was false. But overall was a good company to work for and when thinks pick up will defiantly go back.
Pros
Great pay and benefits and home time.
Cons
Being away from home for 14 days at a time.
loved the job
Rig Hand (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAJanuary 9, 2017
good pay and time off with advancement opportunities. very safety concuss and education with training on all equipment.
Pros
secure, steady pay
Cons
two week hitches
Good company to work for.
Driller (Current Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAFebruary 21, 2016
14 days/14 days off. Hard work, good pay, good benefits. Job security based entirely on market demands. Good place to work and gain experience in the oil and gas industry.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
job security
Good
Floorhand/Motorman (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 25, 2016
Was good and very good I like working there just got laid off because when gas prices go down to job go away we had to make a break before we had the trip type in there what would we have cleaned up .
Good company to work for
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  rockiesJanuary 19, 2017
good company to work for. every region is diffrent in all kinds of ways. so if you go to a rig in texas and one in colorado they culture is way diffrent wont even think it is the same comapny.
Pros
good bennifits
Cons
culture of each region

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Reviews by Job Title