Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

good
Floor hand (Roughneck) (Former Employee) –  Ohio Stadium, OHSeptember 8, 2016
Corporate and field responsibilities with a very high travel volume. In constant transition of leadership style. somewhat unstable
Very fast paced environment, still trying to figure out proper alignment and structure
Senior Manager Asset Integrity and EAM (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
A leader in it's industry
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Woodward, OKAugust 23, 2016
When i started working here, there was no days off. They did begin adding an additional member to each crew, and added another crew to start a days off schedule. They offered good wages and benefit packages.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, started working a schedule that allowed days off
Loved working here
Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAAugust 10, 2016
I worked for Patterson for 2 years and i loved the job. It was hard work, Great pay and awesome benefits. There was always great team work and my coworkers became family. Hoping to get rehired since the layoff.
Terrible unsafe place to work
Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDAugust 4, 2016
Poor living conditions, the mancamps are dumps. Extremely poor upper management, treat you like garbage unless your one of their buddies that they got jobs.
Pros
Cons
Poor living conditions, poor upper management that have no idea how to manage quality hard working employees
productive workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fruita, CO 81521June 21, 2016
patterson is a great company to work for with good benefits and a fair schedule. keeps up to date with saftey regulations
Experience
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 7, 2016
Experience was good. Good benefits. in the beginning I had job security. Was not able to advance within my company although I worked there for 9 years.
Pros
insurance
Cons
management
It's a drilling company, better than some worse than some.
Floor Hand (Current Employee) –  Eighty Four, PA 15330May 30, 2016
It's a drilling company, better than some worse than some. I spent 6 years with the company. You will work in all weather doing manual labor. 14 on 14 off, days off are the best part.
Good Days Off
Motorman/Derrickhand (Former Employee) –  PAMay 25, 2016
2 weeks on and 2 weks off. Good pay. Fun ppl to work with. office wont call you back safty is lacking and make you talk to a doctor over the phone, if you get hurt.
Efficent,Correct and check your work
Equipment Yard Supervisor / Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 12, 2016
Thought,planning and confirmation is required when working the cost can be great if it not correct. You are required to think ahead for worst case scenarios and be plan for it.
Pros
leadership
Cons
training
Good hard work, but subject to change according to the price of oil per barrel
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2016
Patterson allowed me freedom of responsibility. I was left with a list of tasks to complete and was happy to delegate and successfully complete them efficiently and safely.
Pros
clear objectives and rules
Cons
travel to Pittsburgh for 2 weeks
Hard labor
Floor Hand/ motorman/derrick hand (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXApril 29, 2016
Typical day: early morning safety meeting, make relief and find out what operation is taking place that day, Fill out safety JRA's related to operations being performed. Make connections of new pipe going into hole, clean while drilling and or conduct visual inspections on equipment for proper and safe operation of said equipment. As motorman check the 3 generators ensure working properly check air tanks, hydraulic lines, mud pumps checking fluids.
What I learned: That your limitations are what you make of them.
Delegate tasks to floor-hands.
Co-workers: Nothing can be done without teamwork and harmony. Hardest part of the job: Everything
Pros
Learned to work hard and safe at the same time. monetary compensation
Cons
One of the most dangerous jobs to work in.
Great Company to work for
Floorhand/Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 20, 2016
A typical work day started at 5:45 a.m or p.m depending on which tour (shift) you were working that hitch (1 or 2 week work period depending on the rig).
The tour would start with a safety meeting discussing the days expected events (most days did not go as expected and this was also discussed) and how to safely handle them as well as important task that were expected to be finished regardless of the days events).
From the safety meeting we found our relief (co-worker we were replacing for the day/night) and were giving a report of what was done, not done, and needing to be done as well as if there were any safety concerns not covered in the meeting.
From there a typical day consisted of (as a floorhand) cleaning the rig, maintaining equipment (tongs, st-80, slips, dyes, catwalk exe...) as well as making connections (building 90' sections of drill pipe and connecting them to the drill sting as needed), or tripping pipe (pulling the drill pipe from the hole and dismantling the bottom hole equipment: usually to change drill bits or mud motors).

As a derrickman my day started off the same as a floorhand except while making relief i would do a mud check (checked the weight and viscosity of the drilling fluid) and walk with my relief and check my equipment (shaker screens, mud pumps, vertical pumps:checking air pressure to them as well as lubricant levels:, pit levels, and if we were in a state that did not allow the use of excavated pits for containing water I would check the closed system equipment usually a transfer pump and rustic bins).
After
  more... making relief a typical day would include cordinating with the company man (the big boss on the site) and the mud engineer to find out what properties they wanted in the drilling fluid (ph, weight, fluid loss prevention, viscosity exe...) and start mixing chemicals into the mud as needed to meet or maintain these properties.
On a good day mixing chemicals and maintaining equipment on the pits was about it however If the mud pumps malfunctioned It was my job to troubleshoot and fix the problem (typically a swab or a valve would be the problem).

I learned everything from fall protection to well control working at Patterson.

The management was great! one of the companies VP's started out as a roughneck and our divisions training superintendent also started out from the bottom. My co-workers were also great as they looked out for each other and were always willing to lend a hand when needed.

The hardest Part of the job (physically) was also the most enjoyable that that was tripping pipe.
Pros
Rotational shifts. 14 on 14 off
Cons
Employment tied to the price of oil
Excellent company
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXApril 19, 2016
Steady but hard job with good pay & benefits for many yrs. Due to down turn in industry, I have retired. I was in charge of rig 24 hrs. a day for 14 day hitch. I trained & mentored crews, reported to office & dealt with oil co. personnel. Staying awake around the clock in times of hole & equipment problems. Working with excellent crews to solve problems.
Pros
Co. vehicle, 401K
Cons
Work away from home 14 days, work extra days w/ no pay
Just another rig job.
DRILLER AND DERRICK HAND (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nebraska, OklahomaApril 18, 2016
Good job when the oilfield is booming. Fair rules and more laidback work environment. Poor promotions and less than average pay.
Pros
Good pay and 2 weeks a month off
Cons
Lots of travel, unstability of the oil field
Awesome place to work very fast paced
Floorhand/Motors (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 18, 2016
Good rotation 14-14
multiple jobs
lots of work
moving to different locations
awesome crews
Safety is a first
don't bend rules or cut corners
lots of training opportunnities
Pros
Good pay
Cons
cramped living quarters
Challenging and rewarding
Floor Hand/Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 13, 2016
Challenging job, full of surprise on a day to day basis never expecting the expected, instead things tended to be unexpected and then getting to work through the issue or problem doing whatever it takes along with the help and group effort of my co workers. The oil busts are the bad part.
Great entry level pay
Derrickman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXApril 13, 2016
Great entry level pay. Hard being away from family members for weeks at a time and job can be unstabel at times due to market conditions. Other than that, a good place to work
Would not work there again
Driller (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAApril 11, 2016
I will not go into a lot of details about this company because I might have just clashed with them but I will say I will not seek employment with them again.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Patterson-Uti
Driller (Former Employee) –  Fruita, COApril 6, 2016
Best part about my day is getting to pump a slug start tripping pipe then seeing my relief walk up the stairs. The hardest part of my job was dealing with people that thought they where gods gift to the oil field.
Pros
very safety orientated
Cons
Being away from home for two weeks at a time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Reviews by Job Title