Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

old school rough neck
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMAugust 15, 2017
The company wasnt bad to work for, I was there when Patterson bought Key Energy whom had a lot of junk iron. When better quality rigs started showing up it was a nice place to work.
Pros
Easy to advance career
Cons
some junk iron
Patterson UTI Victoria
Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXAugust 11, 2017
Great company to work for.Working together as a crew makes the rig run smoothly and helps prevent accidents .Great benefits and Holiday pay.Opportunity to advance in careers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Patterson is a safe and great environment
Motorman (Current Employee) –  Steubenville, OHAugust 9, 2017
Wake up for meetings everyday to know what's going on. You learn something new everyday. Management could be better. Working outside is great not to feel cramped. Overall it's a good company to work for
great place
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 1, 2017
i was a rig manager for this company and they treated me very good the only i left was to become a company man to futher my experirnce in the oilfield
Pros
great ppl
productive but stressful workplace
Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 28, 2017
Micro managing, Learned to listen to employees in order to find a solution to keep moral up due to the down fall of oil prices. The hardest part of this job was the to micro manage our employees and keeping a customer happy due to the market down fall and moving employees around. My most enjoyable part of the day was visiting a clean and safe rig and being able to coach employees instead of cleaning a rig up.
Pros
good employees
Cons
advancement
Good place to work if you don't have a family or you are in upper management
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2017
There are no "typical days". Everyday something new is bound to pop up.

Management is good overall in my experience. there are a few managers that I would refuse to work under, but other than that they are all easy to get along with. Don't expect them to just hand over a raise for working hard or dong a good job though. If you want something you practically have to demand it.

Overall, the culture is good, but there is an unspoken rule that you work more than 40 hours per week. There is one particular work site that have a very negative atmosphere and that stems from the manager mentioned above.

The hardest part of the job is managing multiple project at the same time and being ready to have your day disrupted with an urgent problem at any given time. Also, management does not do a good job of communicating the priority of projects, so often you have to choose for yourself which may lead to some late nights if you choose incorrectly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of projects and the people that actually take pride in working hard and doing a good job.
Pros
Diversity of projects, people
Cons
negative attitudes and lazy people, disorganized management
Safe and fun job
Floorhand/Roughneck (Former Employee) –  WestTexasJuly 28, 2017
Patterson is a good job with excellent benefits. I really appreciated it's strict safety policy. The pay is superior. The training I received made me very much ready to go to work. The instructors are very knowledgeable and present the information in a way that is easy to understand. Excellent place to work and make a career.
Pros
Pay, emphasis on safety
Cons
Distance from home
good people to work for
Driller (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXJuly 22, 2017
patterson is a great place to work they take good care of the people that work for them,they put saftey above everything,able to move up.good upper managment
Pros
saftey
Buena
Derrikhand on oil rig 8.yr. Experiense (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 19, 2017
Buena empresa buen equipo de trabajo buen sueldo muchos días off
Great place to start!
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAJuly 17, 2017
Patterson is where my oilfield experience began, they were very helpful, had many great opportunities to learn and gain experience. I will say, the work can be a bit overwhelming, in the sense that one safety adviser may have 5+ rigs to look over-- that happen to be hours away from one another. Meaning, if anything goes wrong or urgent happens on multiple rigs at one time, it can be tough. However, it was a fulfilling job with an abundant amount of great people.
Supervisors have bad attitudes
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXJuly 12, 2017
Constantly berated on job performance . Constant screaming and hollering from supervisors regardless of skill level. Attitudes changed when upline supervisors on floor or of in ear shot all out terrible company to work for, ........................................................
hit or miss
derricks (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 28, 2017
it all depends on what rig you end up on. it varies greatly on the attitude and quality of hands you work with. I was on one really good rig that I really enjoyed. the last rig I was on is the reason I left this company. poor management, sorry hands, poor housekeeping. overall it wasn't a good place to work for me.
Typical drilling company with an emphasis on safety
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 22, 2017
Good drilling company to work for. I was scheduled 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. My management were great. However, paying for my own airfare and meals ended up being the reason for changing jobs.
Love this place
Floor Hand (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2017
Awesome rig mangers and amazing placement to move up and awesome people to get to know will help out hands of something is going on just a great place to work
Pros
Good pay and rigs
Cons
Nothing really
Great work environment
Payroll / Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 19, 2017
Patterson has a great work environment. Very relaxed, with great people to work with. One of the most stable companies in the industry. Fun environment
Too many changes
Driller (Former Employee) –  PATTERSON-UTI DRILLING COMPANYJune 5, 2017
The turn over of upper management is too high. It has caused too many unhappy employees because I not promoting within instead of raising up within the crew that stood by during slowdown times.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many changes
A typical day at work
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 4, 2017
Providing Safe education training Consistent with drilling protocols. Performed all task being done on the drilling rig. Focus while seeking opportunities for improvement while working under the direction of the Driller. Working on the derrick board during tripping operations as directed by the Driller. Monitor and maintain the properties of the drilling fluid.
Pros
Days off
Cons
The most horrible work environment, highly toxic
floor hand (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMay 25, 2017
There was a class action lawsuit against this company and I participated in it due to the horrible experience I survived. From OSHA violations on a daily basis (which jeopardized my safety and the safety of others) to the constant harassment and immature arguments, to even racism among employees. I would never work for this company ever again
Pros
Cons
a fellow veteran died due to their incompetence
Work with good a crew
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 22, 2017
Days of drilling you would make connections. Clean the rig floor help others with maintenance. Get things ready to trip out and run casting. Unload trucks, help with mixing drilling mud.
Enjoyable but very tough job.
Floorhand/Roughneck (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 19, 2017
A typical day at work was 12 hour shifts with hard work, but rewarding. The hardest part of this job was working in another state for 7-10 days and away from familly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Reviews by Job Title