PAUL HASTINGS Employee Reviews

Dissapointing Experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2017
What should have been a new career that fostered support, success, growth and opportunity to an enthusiastic new employee, it turned out to be the complete opposite. My assigned "mentor" started changing my job description beyond the scope of my experience level and expertise. She started applying the pressure that I needed to become valuable and be at her level of speed. As a new employee, there's no way that that I can acquire 15 years of experience in a specialized IT field overnight (1 month). My assigned “mentor” provided me with haphazard, minimal training and expected me to learn under insufficient training and direction. She did not possess any patience and organization whatsoever. While other new staff members in this department received professional and comprehensive training in a conference room using large screens, I was relegated to hover over her and share one screen, which possessed a privacy shield that I could barely see the screen. During the few times that I did use initiative, my mentor lost it. Instead of being supportive, her manner was condescending towards me. I know that I am a very good employee, professional and hard-working, but don't expect an intern from day to night to become an expert in a new field she has never worked at before. My assigned “mentor” should have planned a detailed, organized training session and provided me with a good job description to ensure we both understood my responsibilities, not make them up randomly depending on mood. Instead, I experienced haphazard training, micro-managing and a volatile temper from this mentor  more... who left me with an overall negative experience that set me up to fail.

Advice: Words are extremely powerful. It can discourage or encourage. Use them wisely when you are in a position of managing or training a new employee. There are thousands of words you can use when talking to an employee. Skip the toxic language. Constructive feedback is welcomed but not in a demeaning and condescending way. Give your staff credit for using initiative rather than micro-managing them. Those who are in the position of mentoring should be required to take a course on managing people effectively, how to be a team player, emotional intelligence 101 and most of all, how to train effectively.
Pros
Nice, modern offices.
Cons
Disorganized mentor. Unrealistic expectations. Lack of functional training.
Great learning experience
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2017
The law firm was a great opportunity for learning different technology as it pertains to marketing, attorney recruitment and business development. Working at Paul Hastings was both of challenging and fun I enjoy working with first-year Associates and a team of great attorney recruitment personnel.
A Good Place to work in a Stressful Industry
Senior Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2017
Litigation Support is hugely stressful and Paul Hastings does a great job at doing everything they can to make that bearable. Management cares and are their to support you at all hours.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Stressful as can be
Cut Throat Firm
Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
At every turn I was belittled, second guessed and reminded that I was not an attorney. The majority of partners were short fused and aggressive. They talked bad about each other. Everything was a last minute emergency that usually ended up lasting weeks rather than hours. Nevertheless I was expected to stay late most days. Other people in the business development group looked out only for themselves and didn't play nice. The best people left or were booted out last year, leaving an incompetent management team with no people skills. They were shocked when I handed my resignation but I had been hinting for months that I was unhappy. My best day at Paul Hastings was the day I walked out the door.
Pros
Overtime pay, nice clients
Cons
Long hours, rude partners, incompetent team
Professional and Innovative
Senior Project Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2017
The Litigation Support industry comes with a standard heavy work load regardless where one works. 16 to 20 hour days and working weekends can be expected (as with virtually all firms). Getting that out of the way, let's step back and look at the overall. Management is supportive to this condition and has your back. The technology involved is some of the most advanced employing innovative neural network and support machine vector analytics. They deploy one of the best SharePoint solutions, and their proprietary nomenclature (PHeDDSID) makes tracking all aspects of project precise. Advancement and quality of life, like virtually all Litigation Support employers, are what one would expect. The is no better environment to experience those conditions in though.
Pros
Supportive Management and Technology
Cons
Quality of Life
Efficient, Well Run Organization
INtern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2017
The company is run very efficiently and very well. Co-workers were enjoyable. Very nice offices. Great culture in the company.
Great Work Environment
IT Support Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. The company is well rounded and the staff is very welcoming. Advanced in all aspects of technology. Company is well respected and known in the legal community.
Great Place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2016
Just great colleagues with lots to learn and beautiful office space. Relative to other lawfirms, it is a great place to grow and learn. Well-respected in legal industry.
Pros
People
Cons
Na
Fast-paced and productive work environment
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2016
Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. Assist with the management of the print collection for three Firm Libraries. Keep detail records of titles for the Libraries in spreadsheet, and process invoices on a weekly basis.
Dedication
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2016
Most of the employees stayed for 10 years plus due to the pay. Did not offer a career path. Must be pro active to learn.
Pros
Enjoyed the people and the work
Cons
Long Hours
not family friendly
support staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2016
I can't speak for all offices or even all departments. I have never worked at a company that treated me so poorly. After spending many years at one firm which ran like clockwork and was overall pleasant this was a far cry. For one, there is no accountability taken by partners and associates for errors. In fact, sadly blame is placed on lowly paralegals and support staff for anyone's mistakes. Filings were done very late at night. There is no mid-level associates to oversee first and second years. The hours were long, appreciation seldom and expectations were beyond realistic.
Good people...nice location
Legal Assistant - Litigation and Corporate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Got to work with a lot of talented people.
The hours can be long but again, that is always to be expected in this type of field.
Pros
Nice people, great location
Cons
a lot of micromanaging
Demanding work environment
Applications Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Paul Hastings LLP Company, is a challenging place to work If you are in IT Development. There is zero down time and projects are always around the corner. If you like to work around the clock and are dedicated, then this is the place for you. Everyone is nice and friendly and a professional environment is not lacking here. My director was very professional and knowledgeable (in fact the best I have ever encountered). I worked constantly and would hope for down time, but never came. You need to be a team player and a self starter here for sure. If you are excellent at what you do, and gratified by hard work alone, then it is the best job ever. You are expected to keep up with current technologies and demonstrate workflows above and beyond. Time lines are incredibly important to keep, and expect a large amount of requirements gathering. Keep in mind that 1/3 of time is spent in meetings and demonstrations. And of course everyone is professional and expects the same. Once you finish a project expect to upgrade the project shortly as business needs change and need to reflect the current media. One great thing above all else is the ability to reach out to professionals in the respective areas for guidance and or troubleshooting. Paul Hastings LLP, is challenging and innovative.
Pros
High work volume
Cons
Never slows down
No structure, lack of leadership, big talk
project manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2016
Specifically the eDiscovery\Lit Support department.

I worked at PH and staff was really nice, but management had no idea what they were doing, WDC manager only holds higher education creds but has very little professional experience and little to none management exp. Most of the leadership team is located on the west coast, they are also very new to the firm. Turnover is very high, expectations are set way too high and very little transparency is given to the team.

Leadership uses cheap publications to boost their credentials while the rest of the team suffers to make ends meet. I would be very weary of working with this firm, they might offer high compensation but don't let that fool you, if you decide to accept an offer just continue to look for a better place to work, as you will most likely end up jobless after a few weeks.

They also claim to be the "leader" in data science space, claiming that they are doing more than eDiscovery vendors are, such a false claim. When questioned how they applied DS to eDiscovery cases, response was short and only applied to one case.
Pros
Free coffee, soda, juice, bagels
Cons
poor management, no direction
Worst Place to Work
N/A (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2015
Absolutely the worst organization I have ever worked for there is a huge lack of training. No set processes and procedures with a ridiculous amount of exceptions to the already non existing business processes.

Management expects miracles with limited amount of resources and guidance. If you are someone that likes to work in choas with no standardized business processes this will be the ideal place.

However, if your accustomed to well designed business processes and organize work flow... Run for the hills...this is not the place.
Pros
Nice Christmas parties
Cons
Management/ Lack of consistant Business Processes
Interesting place to work
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CaAugust 12, 2015
At this position I was the head of Hospitality. I set up for all meetings. Ordered food for the lunches and or BKFT as needed. Called maintenance repairs as needed for coffee makers and water filter systems for 5 floors. Placed all Costco order for firms needs. Make all coffee. Stack and unload dish washers as needed. Maintain milk supply with vendor. Work closely with receptionist regarding room reservations. Created inventory forms for floor reps to insure accurate communication and organization for the supplies they needed. Met with firm admin and my office management monthly to address any issues rather they be positive or improvements needed regarding vendor supplied equipt. and operations. There were lots of young people working here at the time who may have been a little difficult, but over all a great group of people.
Pros
New office space. Free food from meetings
Cons
there was only one of me!
Very productive workplace, even as an intern much experienced was gained.
Paralegal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2014
Transcribed multiple deposition interviews into memorandums for a confidential case for attorneys, reviewed, analyzed, and tagged multiple patents for a confidential case for attorneys, reviewed and tagged multiple depositions for a confidential case for attorneys.
Worst IT Department I have ever worked for.
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2014
I worked at this company for over 8 years. I met the CFO(Stova Wong)one time. One time? Really?? Now i understand you do not need to do this but come on. Don't you want to find out what problems we are seeing? We are there to assist YOU and make YOU look good but yet you don't acknowledge us. The management had no clue what they were doing. They hired a Support Center Manager(Kara Tang) who was completely lost. No IT understanding. No understanding of ITLL. No communication skills. A complete failure of a manager. There were about 15 of us who watched in bewilderment as to how she even became a manager. The person who hired her, another manager(Kathy Hamburg), never had meetings with our group. Never asked us questions. She pretty much could careless as to what we thought. This IT dept was setup for failure. Without any management communication with the rest of the team it was doomed from the beginning. The 15 of us worked our tails off without any reports of our progress. We worked without moral support and at least a thank you. We did everything they asked for and yet they failed as an IT dept. The staff and associates from this company never knew how bad we had it. Some of us even made HR complaints against these individuals yet they still work there and the rest of us have been laid off. They outsourced our group. Be very careful if you decide to work for their IT dept. Message from a former employee.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Very competitive and work driven environment
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2014
I had a great opportunity to work on a very important case. The client was an international client. I worked for a great team. The hardest part of the job was the consistency of overtime and working until about 5am in the morning and having to return a couple of hours later on only a few hours sleep.
Pros
Training
Cons
Work Life Balance
4x10 is nice but has management problems.
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 4, 2014
Was nice to have an extra day off a week here although this created longer working hours.

Initial management was tougher on us but also fought for us. After he left, New Management initially eased our department with lighter attitude but also was very self-interest motivated.

IE She would be quick to simultaneously accept credit for accomplishments from our group while placing blame on our group if something went wrong. She would quickly implement suggestions from other groups and upper management while denying our own advice and consequently rather than helping to shift IT into a cooperative cohesive unit, it created a lot more strain and tension ultimately resulting in the dissolution of IT Support as a whole.

Management needs to analyze and be more connected with what's actually going on in the environment in general. Otherwise workplace was fair, although little to no room for advancement was possible regardless of work output.
Pros
10x4 work schedule; friendly coworkers, good food options around location
Cons
Management issues