Paulo Employee Reviews

While I am fairly happy with my job, morale is at an all time low with most employees
Furnace Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 17, 2017
Typical work day is busy and stressful, but manageable

Have learned much about multi tasking

Management is taking company in a direction I don't understand

Workplace is becoming cut throat, morale is very low. Not all employees are treated equally

Hardest part of the job is making sure all equipment is running to correct settings, and orders are ready for processing

Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have done my job well
Pros
Fair pay, decent benefits
Cons
Being over worked, over stressed and all employees not being treated equally
Do not recommend
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2017
Workplace culture is poor. A very cliquish environment. Key managers have little or no training on people management. Onboarding and communication are minimal.
Pros
Hours
Good company for people with no experience, wanting to learn
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 26, 2017
This is a family owned business and used to be the kind of place people wanted to work until retirement. The next generation is now being brought in, and the climate of the company is changing - some for the better, and some for the worse. I definitely don't feel that they value long term employees the way they used to. They do employ people with little relevant experience and provide on the job training, allowing them to advance through the ranks in the shop. This is nice for people who don't have a college education, but are smart enough to learn the heat treating business and don't mind hard work. Problem is, many people take the training and move on in a few years because the manufacturing environment and lack of pay advancement, which makes for challenges as a co-worker and a manager. It's a decent job, for reasonable pay; but you have to be able to put up with some unique management styles and the currently changing culture. If you like a challenge and are self-driven it might be a good fit; but if you don't like change and need lots of accolades it might not.
Pros
Decent benefits, average pay, on the job training provided
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic expectations based on level of staffing, dirty and uncomfortable plant environment
not good
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 9, 2017
if your last name isn't the same as the plant manager. you will go no where. and if you have his last name you get a manager position with no experience. I as well as 90% of the other employees are in a dead end job with no room for advancement. even if you try to apply for a position that pay's better they pull you in the office and tell you they like you where you are at. they don't pay you what you are worth but they want you to learn new jobs and do more without a pay increase.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, pay, hour and dental
Not a Good Place to work
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  ClevelandMarch 4, 2017
Bad. I left voluntarily. This place is profitable for the company.
They are good at keeping production running , But at the expense of there Employees. The management is so dysfunctional in the way they assign Projects.

Work is delegated to you with very little detail. Your expected to know how to get it done without any training or knowledge of the equipment. Everything has to be done immediately on the fly with little planning. Reverse engineering at its worst.

If you are hired here with low experience and you like to be told what to do and bounced around you may like it.
If your hired in at a higher level to accomplish things forget it. Everything is against you.

The management knows there is a problem but is almost proud of Hiring people in and giving them a hard time.
Pros
Cons
Many
Strong, stable company. Treats its employees well.
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 4, 2017
A very strong and stable privately held company. They treat their employees well and have a long term vision for the business. They generally do not have a large staff at their facilities so if you are someone that enjoys wearing a few hats you will fit right in.
Pros
Strong, stable company.
Cons
It is a service business so things can get hectic at times.
Horrible place to work
Production Supervisor/Foreman (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 1, 2014
All of upper management is oblivious to how the floor operates, there is no formal HR avenue for reporting complaints and you are harassed on a daily basis by the VP and other managers. Instead of working to resolve issues, they blame the workers and supervisors on the shop floor for issues beyond their control. Long story short, if you want to get fired by no fault of your own or be stuck in a dead end job for the rest of your life, Paulo is the place to work. I was so emotionally distraught on a daily basis from the abuse I took from managers desperate to hide the truth from the owners, that I had multiple panic attacks and thought I was going to have a stroke. I've got very thick skin, and I don't think people should sugar coat things. I realize life isn't candyland, but to completely de-motivate employees, yell at them, call them names, avoid finding adequate solutions to problems so the owners won't find out, and ruining people's lives by firing them because they aren't properly trained or consulted......that's wrong. This place is terrible, and even though it is terrible, I would have given them my whole career had they given me the proper opportunity. No one can ever be good enough for a dictator that refuses to listen, or if they aren't supplied with the proper training, # of employees, or support. If you find yourself working for Paulo, trust me, you will become a scapegoat at some point. The only chance this company has to right the wrong, is to clean house and have the owners take a more active role in the hiring process. That'll never happen though, if you aren't  more... cruel and incompetent, you don't get hired as an upper level manager.  less
Pros
None. Paulo is garbage.
Cons
detail oriented with customer satisfaction the only priority
High Heat Furnace Operator (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 18, 2013
a typical day begins by checking my flow meters, prewash and postwash temperatures and ensuring all is in spec. then i check my line-up of product to be heat treated on my shift by verifying part numbers, po numbers, heat lot numbers all match paperwork. then i will visually compare all parts to ensure they are correct parts. i will then enter the control room and ask the previous operator about any problems with the equipment or potential problems. i will verify temperatures on the heat treat and temper furnaces are in spec, all belts are in auto and ensure all testing is caught up for the parts coming through. once i have taken over the furnace, my day usually consist of loading raw parts, filling customer bins with finished product, testing customer parts using brinell, rockwell surface and core checks, and case depth on carburized processes in the inch or mm scales. additional duties include assisting maintenance with keeping everything up and running, help solve or prevent future issues, helping quality with any deviations in the processes, coordinate or suggest to management plans to save customer parts during major problems affecting the process. additional duties include assigned tasks for each operator to maintain the standard in the 5s program.
Pros
good pay, great co-workers
Cons
no lunch, no breaks, excessive stress, no personal life, 60+ hr work weeks
This job started off great and then changed quickly
Pricer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 27, 2012
I started off at Paulo in the quoting department, where I did quite well. I was there nearly a year when two girls left or were fired from the Pricing department, and I was told to move to that department to fill the gap. I had no prior pricing or billing experience.

A typical day at work would be to create an invoice based off of a shop order received from whichever plant I was assigned. If something looked strange or if the pricing didn't match the quote that was generated, I would investigate to ensure that thte billing was as accurate as possible. Every week we closed the books on Wednesday at noon, so all billing and issues had to be done by then. We worked on any credits that may need to be done on Thursday's and caught up on anything else oustanding Thursday afternoon before resuming billing for the next week on Friday.

I learned to work with difficult people at Paulo. There was one person in particular that could very easily get under many people's skin and was the reason some left. I consider myself easy to get along with and can talk things out with just about anyone, without any need for rasining my voice or getting upset. This particular person didn't approach things the same way that I did and it caused a little bit of conflict in the office. I came in and did my job and went home.

The rest of my co-workers were fine. I particularlly missed my co-workers from my original department and still talk to many of them even now.

The hardest part of the job for me was that when I first came over to pricing, the plants were not split up evenly and I was constantly struggling
  more... to get the billing done on time. After some time the supervisor realized this and split the plants up differently.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things, and getting to know new people. It was an industry that I didn't know much about. I had no idea how much heat treating effects your every day life, and I have a new respect for all things metal, and how the processes work. I have always been intrigued by how things work and walking through the plant and having it all explained to you is quite interesting.
Pros
location
Cons
moved to a different department and things went downhill from there