Pawn America Employee Reviews

work to hard under paid
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 22, 2017
you basic work off commission and if you don"t make you goal at the end of the week you get writes up. three write ups to loss your job and returns that you have come out of your next pay check
stressful job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNOctober 23, 2017
This job was very stressful. Completely unrealistic sales goals. Constant threat from management of getting fired. You have to polish junk and try to sell it for much more then it's worth.
Good pay but not worth the stress
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 21, 2017
Negatives

Worked there for around 5 years and changed Store managers 4 times within that period. Upper management doesn't listen to their Store or Assistant managers and makes broad decisions without much regard to individual markets. I did most roles in the store and eventually became a Sales manager. We lost a lot of employees because our DM refused to listen to the Assistant level managers about the Store manager. The Store manager was finally fired after 2 years.

Sales is often flooded with "sharks" due to required sales goals. Pawn doesn't have enough training or authority to turn down the items they shouldn't take in to maintain a profitable turn around.

Positives

This store took me from a place where I wasn't making much and gave me a chance to learn and grow. The original management team I worked under was great. You get to learn a lot about the re-sale market and how things work from tools to jewelry.
Pros
Room for advancement and plenty to learn
Cons
Short or no breaks for management at times, high turn around leaves you understaffed a lot
Good coworkers
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 15, 2017
Okay workplace- great coworkers- good benefits- great manager with awesome personality and fun to work with - for the most part family friendly and flexible- learned about products I had previously not known about
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Irritating customers
Unsatisfied
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 22, 2017
I wouldn't really recommend. Too many young managers that have no idea what they are doing. They make it very competitive there is no team work. The company is very gossipy and catty
Pros
Uniform is provided
Cons
no team work
exciting and fast paced
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 21, 2017
My job as a Pawnbroker was fun for the six years I worked there. The managers I had were awesome to be with. The customers were also awesome as well. Never had an issue.
Best job I've had
Pawn Broker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 26, 2017
This was the best job I've had so far! It was so fun coming in to work everyday. Everyone who works there is very fun, and easy to work with, as well as the management was amazing!
Fun and fasst-paced environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 25, 2017
Was one of the best jobs I have had. Very rewarding placed to work in that you are responsible for all aspects of the sales process from purchasing the product, setting pricing and merchandising.
Pros
good pay
Cons
super competitive job but also fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJuly 21, 2017
pawn america was a very fun job and i learned alot there but to my understanding they have recently went bankrupt im guessing because if the overall greed of the company
Pros
learned alot met new friends
Cons
sales was a tough cut throat position
Pa
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 1, 2017
worked for the company for two years and eight months, company filed for bankruptcy & our location closed. Was not offered to transfer to another location.

Want to know more about Pawn America?

Ask a question
Great place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJune 21, 2017
I goto the inver grove store every weel and oznur takes care of me. Very professional and courteous. Wish that could be said about all employees there.
Good pay relative to the market
Sales Associate/Pawn Broker (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 9, 2017
a lot could have been done better by the last Manager. I believe they should have hired a more experienced person than him. He wasn't innovative or experienced enough. The assistant did a better job in his absence.
Other than that the company was very generous with pay and benefits and too bad they had to go under
Pros
Commision
Cons
Managment
Working With Pawnamerica
Web Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 27, 2017
Being Employed with pawn america was very rewarding and a privilege. Not only was the atmosphere fun and friendly but it was also very positive, upstanding and professional as well everyday. All types of management were great from the owner down to my direct manager were understanding and helpful. Pawn america helped me further my customer service skills and get my foot in the door with online marketing. The hardest part of my job was doing everything myself on super busy days, like Christmas Season with all the orders, but on the other hand after everyday, making a customers day is the most rewarding part of the job, hearing the positive thoughts they have after doing business with us, Overall Pawn america takes pride in there customer service and outstanding professionalism. For that i thank them for the opportunity to work for such a great company.
Boys Club Enviornment
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed it there. Management is a bit slow and old school, and advancement upwards is a little too slow and again old school. Otherwise good place for a couple years to run off some time.
Owneship does not value Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMay 24, 2017
Worked there for 5 years with only one salary increase, Managers are frequently required to work 12 hour days while they were the only person with a key and no ability to leave the location in that 12 hours even for a 30 minute lunch break.
Pros
Ever changing inventory
Cons
12 Hour days alone as supervisor, poor compensation as it relates to the industry
A very well rounded learning experience
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 16, 2017
- Very exciting.
- I learned a lot about how to run a store in every aspect.
- Management was very willing to teach and grow.
- I made the work place exciting and fun. "inspirational"
- Hardest part is leaving.
- Most enjoyable part was being able to create a family team willing to follow me anywhere.
Pros
Never had a bad day
Cons
felt bad for all customers that needed us to stay open.
Dont even bother
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 11, 2017
The immediate people you work with are often times great. I've only had one manager that I can't tolerate. Unfortunately, they replaced a great one for the bad one. Upper management is a complete joke. They fire good, long-term employees with very little/no notice or investigation. Raises are next to impossible to come by. Corporates policy is "if you want more money, then hit your bonus!" What they don't tell you is, they made the bonus next to impossible to hit until you've been working there for a solid year. Even if you do get a raise, make sure you get it in writing IMMEDIATELYor they'll screw you over on that too. This place is a nightmare that will destroy your soul, don't make a career of it. The hourly is decent but, not at all worth the trouble of corporate. Now the company is all butt hurt about Google reviews while not caring at all about what the employees have to say. No joke, reviews weren't even discussed until 3 weeks ago. Now it seems as if your job is on the line if you don't hold customers hostage at the counter for a good review. Go get a job at Burger King.
Pros
20% discount....wait, i mean 10%. They cut perks all the time too.
Cons
Absolutely everything
this company is the worst ever
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 7, 2017
amazing job so great I learnd nothing working here the management is so bad
the culture is nonresistant there wasn't any thing hard about this job
the most enjoyable part was quitting
Pros
free nothing ever no pros
Cons
the are raseest and rude
Will not invest in employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 18, 2017
Pawn America looks like a nice opportunity, with bonuses and PTO and commision, but BEWARE they will FIRE you as soon as you begin to make too much money. They will fire for no reason what so ever, and will not think twice. Management is told to work 45+ hours (most of the time 50+) per week on salary and if you miss even 1 hour, they will write you up. You have to work short constantly because of their firing tactics and will not supplement help from other stores or offer overtime. The district managers only show up to find flaws and exploit. You have to work while home most days, answering emails, phone calls, and texts. While in sales, you are pressured to meet numbers and will receive a write-up if not met. I can not emphasize enough how little they care about their employees and managers at the stores. No one should have to worry about their job when they are making sales, on time to work, appropriate, they should be able to keep their job. This business is cold hearted.
Cons
Everything, Long hours, Upper Management, High Pressure
Awsome workers
Pawn Broker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 18, 2017
Learning everyday and feeling support from those you work with and 1 negative 5 positive or complaints. Coaches where hard but fun, simple, easy to get along with and understanding. As a team felt the pain when times got hard but pulled through together. Helped better me as a person and in find the carrer to further my education. I had an awesome team and could not think to work for another. GO WAUSAU!!! YOUR LOOKING LIKE SUSSCES EVERYDAY!!! My LOYALTY will forever be with those at the WAUSAU Pawn America.
Pros
Environment of work place, workers, experience
Cons
Store hours and recruiting workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pawn America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7