PAWS Chicago Employee Reviews in United States

Look at what the actual employees say and not the volunteers
Animal Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2015
Volunteering can be very rewarding at PAWS Chicago. As a volunteer you can remain ignorant of the constant push to bring more animals into the system (many from out of state). If there is sickness animals will be stuffed in crates, with 4-5 dogs in a 6×6 room. They are stuck in there all day because they are infectious and the only attention they get is from the caregiver cleaning the mess or the tech that gives their meds.

When this happens consistently it is a real moral buster. There is very little appreciation or compensation for working to make the dogs and cats lives better. Training is poor and while there are many in management there is no one observing who is getting actual work done. You can be lazy and work here if you stay on management's good side. If you work hard, don't expect much in return, I'm the end you are there for the animals anyway.
Pros
Being with animals
Cons
Low pay, many bosses, no accountability
Lacks employee trust and career advancement
n/a (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Employees only receive 3 paid holidays, limited time at the winter holidays to even take off, no work from home benefits, are forced to work in deplorable conditions including excessive heat or below zero temperatures and at times, no working heat or water in the building.

The organizations continues to hire outside of the existing candidate pool, but never allow for leadership to have any decision making authority.

Confidential information regarding fellow employees performance is constantly disclosed to teammates creating an adverse work morale.

Employees are discouraged from any networking or team building activity which only damages office culture further.

Mid-year reviews and annual performance reviews are often delayed or skipped all together.

The organization has no hierarchy or advancement for growth which results in a high turnover of employees. Employees are never given any sort of direction, training, goals or expectations to succeed in the role in which tey were hired.
Pros
dogs and cats are being saved
Cons
benefits, appreciation, time off, incentives, morale
PAWS Chicago Review
Foster Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2015
PAWS Chicago is a great organization and I have learned a lot working there over the past five years.
Just Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  chicago IllAugust 6, 2014
This is another case of me just wanting to help
Most of my day consisted of walking dogs and socializing older cats.
PAWS Chicago
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2013
Volunteer opportunity, spend time with puppies and kittens when I have extra time and money. Going to school currently for veterinary technician and this gives me added experiences, and reminds me of what I’m working towards. I am a bleeding heart for animals, and this is a wonderful no kill shelter that is very under staffed and functions mostly with the help from volunteers, and donations from the community. Everything they receive goes directly back into the facility to save homeless pets.
Pros
love animals, rewarding
Cons
can become expensive, can be physically draining
Meaningful experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2013
PAWS gives me a place to feel great about myself and help dogs and cats at the same time.
Great work environment, passionate team
Database and Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2012
As a Database and Administrative Assistant at PAWS Chicago, I ensure that the day-to-day operations of the office run smoothly. I answer the main phone line, and help individuals with many needs, ranging from taking donations to helping individuals with animal behavior advice. I answer inquiries about the No-Kill movement, and PAWS Chicago. I also handle matching donations from corporations, reconcile all credit card transactions processed, and input donations into our Raiser's Edge Database.

I also oversee PAWS Chicago's Tribute Card program - I take tribute donation information, and send cards as requested. I send donors acknowledgments, and thank them for their support of our cause and organization. I also monitor donations, sending thank-you cards to those who requested donations in lieu gifts, or in memorandum of loved ones in lieu of flowers.

I ensure that potential and current donors feel appreciated for supporting PAWS, and help understand more about the No-Kill movement.