Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Not a job for a family man!
Health and Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 27, 2016
Great place to start a Sales career. Great Company with a great portfolio of services to offer. Horrible Work/Life Balance. Micromanagement with total lack of care and respect for people with families. Great if you're single.
The seventh circle of h*ll
s125 client service advisor (Current Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYMay 26, 2016
RUN, don't walk, away from this bureaucratic, hypocritical, conniving, deceitful organization.

Currently a 'client service advisor' in the s125 department (quitting in the next few weeks). There's so much I could say about this company, I don't even know where to start. They basically lie to you from the beginning. They say its such a great company to work for, but I cry at my desk/in the bathroom every single day because I've never encountered such a hostile work environment. The training they provided for s125 reps was grotesquely insufficient; reps are released onto the floor hideously unqualified to take calls and proceed to mess up everything and frustrate clients and more tenured employees. Promotions have nothing to do with competence, intelligence, or performance; they're based on favoritism and political affiliations. You need to ask permission before doing even the most basic tasks, like contacting HR for something or logging out of the queue for a minute to work on something. Micro-management is at an all time high, and the level of trust between supervisors and employees is non-existent. Supervisors are egotistical and basically function as the enforcers of Paychex instituted red tape and asinine policies. I got pregnant and was suffering from severe morning sickness, and they gave me an unbelievably hard time over simple things like a modified work schedule or logging out of the phone for 15 minutes to throw up. Benefits are mediocre and pay is hideously low in comparison to ridiculously high expectations and a gargantuan amount of day to day b.s. that must
  more... be tolerated. You're also expected to tolerate said b.s. with a happy jovial attitude, lest you be accused of being 'uncooperative' or 'insubordinate'. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. Eff this company.  less
Pros
co-workers are awesome
Cons
red tape, asinine procedures, egotistical managers, nepotism, incompetence, micro-management
Hi
PHP Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 25, 2016
Paychex HR online human resources management system can log to manage check stubs and personal information for employees of businesses. It also manages your retirement contributions, health, flexible spending account and their plans.
Awful!
Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Providence, RIMay 25, 2016
This company use to be nice to work for but over the past few years it has become horrible. There is too much work and not enough people to do it. Advancement is impossible and the pay is very low. I do not recommend working for this company unless you have nerves of steel. Too much stress for minimal pay.
benefits
Cons
stress, pay, culture
Payroll
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 22, 2016
Typical day involves processing reported hours of payroll
from each company assigned to you.
The hardest part of the job is correcting W2 forms during tax season, and keeping up with deadlines and ever changing tax codes.
Pros
No weekend hours
Cons
Pay
Great company to work for
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 20, 2016
There are many tasks to complete as a payroll specialist. Once you learn all the processes, the job can be rewarding. I've been here for 8 months and I still have a lot to learn but the good thing is there are so many people to help you.
Good Place to Work and Grow
IT Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 19, 2016
This company was a great place to work and grow in your career. I grew both personally and professionally. The culture has changed over the years and they are moving in a needed direction to remain competitive in the new marketplace.
Good people.
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAMay 15, 2016
Good people. Manage your own schedule. Work with many different types of businesses. Supportive management who will do their best to help.
Used to be great, but restructure causes stress and hardship
Branch Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYMay 12, 2016
I've been with this company almost 10 years. At that time they cared about their employees, believed in an actual work/life balance, the workload was manageable for the payroll specialists, and people smiled and were happy. Tenured employees had been looking to retire at Paychex.

In the last 5 or 6 years those tenured employees have gone. Sales increased so much that the workloads increased for the PRS by 2.5 times. But they had to stay profitable, try to get ahead of the competition. So instead, they lost the good employees, some TO the competition. And now we have a revolving door of employees who just don't want to take the abuse. And who can blame them.

There are very few opportunities for advancement into any leadership positions. As some of the current leaders leave, those positions are not being replaced or are being replaced with remote personnel. And if you are in an Administrative position, leadership positions are nonexistent.

If you are unable to take criticism, are emotional, or take things personally, I would not recommend you take a position at Paychex. Because of the lack of stability the clients feel with regard to their specialist assignments, they tend to blame any errors or issues they feel regarding their accounts on whoever they have on the phone. And lately, with the lack of experienced specialists, that's a lot of unhappy phone calls, creating an even bigger problem with the revolving door effect. If you have an iron will and a good sense of humor, maybe even a psych degree, by all means, apply online.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No work/life balance for non-exempt employees, heavy workload
It depends on who you work under.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 10, 2016
Great Ideals, and culture but some managers can really ruin your experience. The micromanaging can adversely effect employees and thus customers. Some mangers won't let you post out to new positions. some are great and really help you grow and encourage training.
Pros
benefits, work life balance, rate of pay, national company.
Cons
micromanagers, lack of process improvement, implementing changes without considering the aftermath.

Want to know more about Paychex, Inc.?

Ask a question
great benefits
commission is small
fun
exciting at times
Pros
flexible time
Cons
base pay is not enough
Great Company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 4, 2016
I think it's a great company and some opportunities are there. I'm personally more geared for an outside sales position while this is more of a telemarketing sales job.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Environment
Fun workplace
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHMay 2, 2016
Fun workplace, but low pay it was Fun workplaceFun workplaceFun workplaceFun workplacevvFun workplaceFun workplace
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
low pay
Great Place to Work
Client Changes Specialist II (Former Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYApril 29, 2016
I learned a lot about the Payroll Inducstry and 401K and S125 and it was a great place and the training available was grea.
Great staff, poor compensation
Senior Online Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WI 53005April 27, 2016
Great managers: best I've ever experienced. Great co-workers: they only hire the most outgoing and friendly people in the area. Everyone is intelligent, knowledgeable and fun to work with. The compensation is not great. For a national HR/Payroll company and the work performed the compensation is not enough and the benefits are mediocre at best.

The most difficult part of the job is between December and February when year-end is in full swing. The most enjoyable aspect is again, the people and management. There is a fantastic work-life balance that is unparalleled.

I have learned everything about payroll tax returns and how to communicate effectively with local, state, and federal government agencies.
Pros
Work-life balance, co-workers, management
Cons
Compensation package, benefits
Appreciation and fun workplace environment
National Sales Support Representative (NSSR) (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2016
A typical day at Paychex consists of customer service, maintaining a strong professional manner, setting daily goals, meeting or exceeding quota, checking daily emails, communicating to prospects over the phone, booking appointments, generating/following up on leads, drawing interest for company, running my own operations, building partnerships and working with partners.
I learned a lot about running my own operations and building strong partnerships. I also learned to be strongly motivated, leading myself to push outside my comfort-zone, becoming a stronger person, polish phone skills, and understanding to constantly push myself to learn new things to exceed expectations. The job involves minimal supervision on the job. When you do need management assistance it was pretty quickly you could get a response whether in person or via email/ or Microsoft Lync (IM.) The supervisors give critical information when it was needed to improve you skill set. They help you anytime you needed it or asked. The hardest part of the job would be staying consistent with your dials, and exceeding sales expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job is the great people you can work with, that you run across over the phone, and relationships you build with partners (outside sales reps.) The company is also really great at acknowledgement of birthdays, new hires, and promotions. Our department celebrates commissions. Lastly the company does a lot of fun games within the office during working hours.
Technical Organization with Team Driven Vision
Agile Coach (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYApril 25, 2016
As an Agile Coach no day was typical. Supported 12 Teams over a Six month Period
One of the best places I've worked. Great Team organization and Support
Hire engineers from RIT, Etc. Exciting to work with engineers again
Hardest part of the job was Coaching teams who were already underway.
Pros
Teamwork, Smart People
Cons
Position Eliminated
Productive, busy
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTApril 25, 2016
A typical day consist of monitoring and distributing payroll to company's all over New England. Along with providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short breaks
Workplace was fairly laid back but advancement and opportunities for growth left a lot to be desired
401k/S125 New Client Setup Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty straightforward, I would get assigned the incoming 401k and S125 sales from the previous day and onboard clients accordingly. I learned many things, including a great deal about emotional intelligence, better communication skills, how to manage people and personalities both below and beneath me within the hierarchy of the company. I learned about 401k plan administration and 401k plan rules and 5500 tax filings. The hardest part of the job was asking for help if/when I needed it, the culture of the business tried to encourage asking for help and/or asking questions when needed but in reality people who asked for help or questions in my department were viewed in a negative light. The most enjoyable part of the job is you were left to your own devices and able to organize your day however you saw fit, you could even work and listen to music with headphones on while you worked. My co-workers were great, we were all overworked but most of us would always help one another whenever and wherever we could.
Pros
good healthcare benefits, good 401k benefits with a good employer match
Cons
Short breaks, mandatory overtime, inability of department to assess job performance
Contentiously improving
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 23, 2016
We started a new development process and it has been rocky. But plenty of opportunities to learn new things from many intelligent developers.