Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great work environment and commission structure
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYApril 3, 2017
Must be able to self manage.
responsible for finding your own leads, booking appointments and closing sales.
not much management support to go around.
Pros
car allowance
Cons
management
Customer Service Agent
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working for a great company such as Paychex Inc. Overall I looked forward to going into work everyday, meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 31, 2017
A great place to work. They supplied excellent training, the management was great and they recognized and rewarded hard work. I loved to build relationships with my clients and over the years thay actually became very good friends even though I did not meet 90% of them in person. It was hard to leave on vacation for an extended period as I was given very complex accounts and my substitutes would sometimes mess them up. This strained the excellent relationships that I had cultivated with my clients.
Pros
Great place to work, good management, hard work recognized and rewarded, conveniently close to home.
Cons
Short staffed and getting worse, extra work has become the rule rather than an exception.
Workload=overload
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYMarch 30, 2017
I began with Paychex as a Payroll specialist. The management is spread so thin that you basically have to train yourself. When you're finally (after 4-6 weeks of self-directed online training) assigned clients you find yourself faced with a multitude of tasks, questions, and issues that you are not qualified to handle. Clients are sold an accountant and are provided an undergrad with google. The volume of calls is mind boggling and we often found ourselves working through breaks and our UNPAID lunches. I did enjoy my co-workers but the sheer volume of work and the complexity of the tasks required made it nearly impossible to enjoy. Expect to be a payroll provider, an accountant, an assistant, an HR representative, a bookkeeper, and an IT support rep for just under $30,000.
Pros
Regular hours, desk work, PTO
Cons
Low pay for expectations, overwhelming workload, nearly impossible goals to earn pay raises.
Job is easy
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 30, 2017
Daily tasks are within reasonable limits. Some management should take some refresher courses on how to communicate in a positive but, effective manner. Overall, great place to work.
Great training for entry level outside sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2017
Core sales training provided is top notch to teach you fundamentals of sales and products. Takes a self starting professional willing to put in 10-12 hours daily in order to reach goals. Opportunity for advancement if desired based on performance. Strong foundation and great place to start for any entry level sales role.
Great Company!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAMarch 27, 2017
Paychex offers a ton in development, training and advancement. You get out of your career what you put into it. It can be stressful at times as can any job, but there is much reward.
Pros
You can grow a career here.
Cons
Can be extremely stressful
You don't get paid enough to be taken advantage of for your hard work.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHMarch 27, 2017
The instant you start taking clients expect to be handed a load of those that are upset already. If you're good at your job except to be taken advantage of by management. You'll have to do more than those who aren't as good, but you won't get any kind of extra compensation for it. Most of management is pretty good, but there are a few that seem to never have anything nice to say. Really, I don't hear much good feedback from management, but they make sure you know when you do something wrong. They do provide a fair amount of free food, but it's hard to compensate for the amount of stress you're under. Honestly, a good company, but they expect far too much for the amount they are willing to pay. Oh, and they expect you to get a TON of training done in your nonexistent free time. If you don't get it done, expect to get a stern talking to.
Pros
Some management, but not all. A good benefits package.
Cons
Major stress, bad pay, hard workers are taken advantage of, no work/life balance, horrible shift with no option to change
Overalll Great Company
Core Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 26, 2017
Overall great company. If you do well they treat you well. Great sales training. Being in the field and training helps you prepare for any other job in the future.
Good Place to work
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 22, 2017
Good place to work. Culture is good for people who are single or have a family. There are opportunities to grow and develop and possibly get promoted. The company does their best to be the best.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
career growth opportunities
Productive and employer/employee make it fun to work here
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 22, 2017
Admin was right there to assist me in helping updating the Citrix software and doing inputs in a timely fashion

So much to do with little time to do in within the working hours

Management always had goodies to present employees keeping them happy!
Pros
Goodies from management
Cons
contract ended too soon
to help
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 21, 2017
to help clients with payroll a typical work day at work, you have about 300 clients that you are personally working with and you are working to help them with payroll each month
Getting too know co-workers
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 21, 2017
Breaking with paychecks will be a great position to be there and get to know on each other and learn and help out and it ideas what to do to them with better of the position at Paychex help out
Pros
Does having 15 minutes have a great time
has its Perks /
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 21, 2017
 Monitored the submission of approved time sheets, and assured valid data transfers.
 Completed and updated employee insurance for the ACA (affordable care act) processed 1095 and 94c’s, effective problem solving skills, reviewed health & benefits with employees
 Handled employee relations as it relates to payroll, benefits and insurance
 Established and maintained employee records, ensured changes were made correctly and in a timely basis, reviewing changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy, including compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Pros
made good money
Cons
unprofessional
Temp to Hire
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEMarch 19, 2017
I was put in a very tiny work space with very little space. The supervisor prefoto keep the main set of lights off so you only had small task lights to work with.
In the back of the room you could here the supervisor talking bad about others with co workers while they talked while you were training. Very unprofessional!
Training was done on your own and sometimes in groups.
I think had i been assigned to a much brighter room it would if been a better experience.
But i left after the first week. The HR was a show off in front of her boss by reprimanding you in front of your co workers just because you didn't lock your screen when you left your desk. This occurred while i was meeting the operations manager for the first time.
Great place for young people who need experience, not so much for those who know there is better work out there.
Pros
Good pay, Good training, growing company
Cons
Company growing workforce too fast not providing enough work spaces in their tiny buildings
It is amazing
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYMarch 18, 2017
Everything here is great from the day I first got here I learned so many things. The work culture is great and teammates are helpful. This is my first work experience and I really like it.
Great Place to work
Payroll sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMarch 17, 2017
Great place to work, excellent training, employees and management are like friends and family. Great experience I would recommend this place to any one looking for a great career and opportunity
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Good Place
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIMarch 10, 2017
Loved the company and co workers, hated the line of work. I worked with a set list of clients on the west coast and assisted in payroll, tax, and benefit issues.
A fun place to work. Call center environment.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2017
My client list was given to me on fridays for the following week, You would have to organize your client list in day, then time order.
I would call at the day and time that the client requested to do payroll.
Pros
Team Envionment
Cons
Gossip
Sr. SalesforceDeveloper/Admin (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYMarch 9, 2017
• Gathered user and functional system requirements via workshops, interviews and workflow storyboards and Working with stakeholders and project teams to prioritize collected requirements.
Pros
PayChexInc, Webster, NY.
Cons
PayChexInc, Webster, NY.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.