Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great
Core Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 13, 2017
When I worked at this company it offered great benefits and opportunities for advancement. They were a bit male heavy at the top which left a ceiling on how far women were advanced.
aychex offers a ton in development, training and advancement.
Sr. UI Developer/UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 12, 2017
Good place to work. Culture is good for people who are single or have a family. There are opportunities to grow and develop and possibly get promoted. The company does their best to be the best.
Overall Satisfied
Scrum Master/Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 10, 2017
My manager values work/life balance which is something I truly value here at Paychex. I have the flexibility to work from home and come in when I need to.
Great company, solid benefits, lots of pressure to perform.
Enterprise Software Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2017
Great company, but the pressure on pipelines and forecast is incredible day to day. Salesforce and your calendar run you life and the management team is good, but it's very much a "clap club".
Over worked staff
Senior Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  NyApril 8, 2017
Changing to call center, rolls out products too quickly, doesn't take advice from the field, cares more about analytics than anything else. Great benefits though.
Toxic
District Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 7, 2017
Honestly, I loved my job, but the environment just got worse and worse. Sales manager only cares about numbers! I wasn't a sales rep, and I even felt belittled. Anything you say will make its way around the office, and once someone doesn't like you, good luck. Everyone talks about everyone. The office can be fun at times, but it can be hostile too. If you don't mind inappropriate comments and conversation everyday for the majority of the day, sign up! There were very few times I felt appreciated for my work. It was like pulling teeth trying to get a raise.
Pros
Benefits, lax office, occasional free lunch
Cons
Environment, manager, some coworkers, lack of appreciation, turnover, lack of communication and trust
Micromanaged
Health and Benefits Rep (Former Employee) –  OhioApril 6, 2017
Paychex is a good company. In sales, there are several avenues you can take. You can sell HR services, payroll, retirement accounts, and health and benefits.However, the different divisions are in silos and everyone is micromanaged from the executive level down. Sales reps from different divisions can be uncooperative and out for themselves only. It's hard to trust anyone. Also, compensation is below market so turnover is constant.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Silos, micromanaging
Great Company
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Foxboro, MAApril 6, 2017
Lots of opportunity to make money. Leadership in my office was outstanding and truly cares about their employees. Great benefits and work/life balance.
Pros
work/life balance, good management, lots of earning potential
Cons
high quotas
Sales driven company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  University parkApril 5, 2017
Paychex is a strong stable company. They place a value on the sales organization and sales organization only. Operations are generally thought of as replaceable. Culture was increasingly becoming unstable.
Pros
Flexible schedule in some departments
Cons
Lack of pay raises
Job
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 5, 2017
The people you work with are ok, the job is more time consuming, and you really aren't paid enough. The training is horrible. I wouldn't recommend working here.
Endless opportunity, great support system. Highly recommend
HR Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OH 43016April 4, 2017
Great pay, benefits, and hours. My separation is not due to the company. Highly recommend if you are looking a sales company. Sales is where you will find the money.
Great work environment and commission structure
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYApril 3, 2017
Must be able to self manage.
responsible for finding your own leads, booking appointments and closing sales.
not much management support to go around.
Pros
car allowance
Cons
management
Customer Service Agent
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working for a great company such as Paychex Inc. Overall I looked forward to going into work everyday, meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 31, 2017
A great place to work. They supplied excellent training, the management was great and they recognized and rewarded hard work. I loved to build relationships with my clients and over the years thay actually became very good friends even though I did not meet 90% of them in person. It was hard to leave on vacation for an extended period as I was given very complex accounts and my substitutes would sometimes mess them up. This strained the excellent relationships that I had cultivated with my clients.
Pros
Great place to work, good management, hard work recognized and rewarded, conveniently close to home.
Cons
Short staffed and getting worse, extra work has become the rule rather than an exception.
Workload=overload
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYMarch 30, 2017
I began with Paychex as a Payroll specialist. The management is spread so thin that you basically have to train yourself. When you're finally (after 4-6 weeks of self-directed online training) assigned clients you find yourself faced with a multitude of tasks, questions, and issues that you are not qualified to handle. Clients are sold an accountant and are provided an undergrad with google. The volume of calls is mind boggling and we often found ourselves working through breaks and our UNPAID lunches. I did enjoy my co-workers but the sheer volume of work and the complexity of the tasks required made it nearly impossible to enjoy. Expect to be a payroll provider, an accountant, an assistant, an HR representative, a bookkeeper, and an IT support rep for just under $30,000.
Pros
Regular hours, desk work, Pto
Cons
Low pay for expectations, overwhelming workload, nearly impossible goals to earn pay raises.
Job is easy
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 30, 2017
Daily tasks are within reasonable limits. Some management should take some refresher courses on how to communicate in a positive but, effective manner. Overall, great place to work.
Great training for entry level outside sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2017
Core sales training provided is top notch to teach you fundamentals of sales and products. Takes a self starting professional willing to put in 10-12 hours daily in order to reach goals. Opportunity for advancement if desired based on performance. Strong foundation and great place to start for any entry level sales role.
Great Company!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAMarch 27, 2017
Paychex offers a ton in development, training and advancement. You get out of your career what you put into it. It can be stressful at times as can any job, but there is much reward.
Pros
You can grow a career here.
Cons
Can be extremely stressful
You don't get paid enough to be taken advantage of for your hard work.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHMarch 27, 2017
The instant you start taking clients expect to be handed a load of those that are upset already. If you're good at your job except to be taken advantage of by management. You'll have to do more than those who aren't as good, but you won't get any kind of extra compensation for it. Most of management is pretty good, but there are a few that seem to never have anything nice to say. Really, I don't hear much good feedback from management, but they make sure you know when you do something wrong. They do provide a fair amount of free food, but it's hard to compensate for the amount of stress you're under. Honestly, a good company, but they expect far too much for the amount they are willing to pay. Oh, and they expect you to get a TON of training done in your nonexistent free time. If you don't get it done, expect to get a stern talking to.
Pros
Some management, but not all. A good benefits package.
Cons
Major stress, bad pay, hard workers are taken advantage of, no work/life balance, horrible shift with no option to change
Overalll Great Company
Core Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 26, 2017
Overall great company. If you do well they treat you well. Great sales training. Being in the field and training helps you prepare for any other job in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.