Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

I endured harassment and incompetent management
payroll specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 23, 2016
I was so glad to have gotten this job....at first. They boast opportunity for advancement and competitive wages. What they do not tell you is that you have to complete tedious coursework to get the raises, and they do not give you time to complete the work on the clock and you cannot do it off the clock. So, those raises are basically unattainable. I experienced many prejudices with this company as well. After 8 months of employment, they started to enforce an attendance policy that was NEVER discussed, and reprimanded me for not completing my tasks which I requested my supervisors help with for WEEKS and did not receive. After realizing that management was incompetent and could not provide the support, I got tired of constantly letting my customers down and looking like a fool bc I was being led by fools. I just left. BEST DECISION EVER !!!
Pros
they hire great representatives
Cons
they hired managers who dont know a checkdate from a checkmate
Very Productive in time management
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAJanuary 7, 2016
All type of office procedure
Learn to work with people
Very timely management
Like all co-workers
The hardest part of the job is none.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to come in happy.
Pros
lunch providing each month
Cons
Some type of pet peeves
Nice company to work for
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 6, 2016
Day to day workload varies. There's always something you can be working on. My branch is like a family.I believe my favorite part of the job is my co-workers
Sales Demanding
great benefits
commission is small
fun
exciting at times
Pros
flexible time
Cons
base pay is not enough
Was a great place to work!
insurance sales agent (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 14, 2015
Management uses scare tactics on their employees and views the employee as just another number.
The 80+ agents are some of the best people around but all fear the management that has lead to several people leaving and posting out of the insurance agency.
Pros
Great people
Great benefits, solid company
Implementation Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 24, 2016
I worked for this company for 8 years and it has undergo some structural changes that no longer suit my lifestyle. Great job with great pay and benefits.
Great Company
Human Resources Specialist III (Former Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Great company. Definitely a company where you can grow and increase knowledge in other areas of services Paychex offers. Paychex is an open door company where I felt extremely comfortable talking to all administration.
Contentiously improving
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 23, 2016
We started a new development process and it has been rocky. But plenty of opportunities to learn new things from many intelligent developers.
Needed More Advancement
Data Entry/Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 11, 2016
This company was very limited in creating an environment to excel. It was a part-time position which was not enough to provide for a family with.
Lots of work, meager support
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque NMFebruary 26, 2016
The job, Payroll Specialist, looked great on paper, but the reality was that it was very stressful, the pay was low given the responsibility and information to which the employees had access, and the company does not treat employees well. Managers are totally stressed out keeping unhappy customers from bailing, they are quick to throw an employee under the bus. The company spends a lot of money on training, but unfortunately most of it is garbage. The trainers are useless, kind of like an old boys or girls network.
New hires are assigned a mentor; but as another reviewer mentioned, that person probably has an enormous client load and has neither time / interest / additional compensation to be a mentor.
Managers/customer service supervisors spend a lot of time in management meetings doing 'who knows what' and little time working directly with their employees.
Pros
Business casual, jeans day almost every Friday, lots of food celebrations
Cons
Limited or no options on schedule, no part time options, possibility of working at home after a year's service
Productive, enjoy my piers also my clients
payroll specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 3, 2015
Supportive management and understanding. Alot of changes to the company that has effected many people and how they feel about company. I do enjoy working for my clients and with my colleagues. It is overwhelming with the projects and short of staff.
Pros
benefits, lunches, flexibilty
Cons
under paid, understaffed, stress level
payroll
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJMarch 11, 2016
Keep informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process.
Set up court ordered wage garnishments for child support, alimony, IRS tax judgements.
Fun workplace
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHMay 2, 2016
Fun workplace, but low pay it was Fun workplaceFun workplaceFun workplaceFun workplacevvFun workplaceFun workplace
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
low pay
Recent changes have ruined the company
Senior Online Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 12, 2015
Working as a support role for the online product, the company is in a terrible state. The online payroll system is constantly giving errors and having impairments which take hours to resolve. New products and features are released with such minimal testing when they are clearly not ready for a full production release to clients. For the most part, coworkers are great, and local management is good, depending on where you're located. Telecommuting is finally an option, although limited at best. Benefits are good.
Pros
Great benefits, good people/coworkers.
Cons
Recent changes, terrible software and online product, new products are not tested properly before release.
Na
Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 16, 2016
Paychex is stable company with high growth and advanced technology. We are a leader in the Human Resource, Retirement Services, Payroll and Employee Benefits. It is an amazing place to work and succeed!
Uncomfortable work enviou=rnemnt
Certified Senior Online Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 21, 2016
Changes within the company have caused a stressful work environment, employee's are no longer engaged in the day to day priorities.
Fast paced, intense payroll and human resource environment
Client Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJOctober 27, 2015
Many different aspects of the front line position, resources available to succeed and opportunities available to transfer to different aspects of payroll and human resource services. Training program is excellent and offers material to extend far beyond the payroll and human resource aspect.
Great Place to Work
Client Changes Specialist II (Former Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYApril 29, 2016
I learned a lot about the Payroll Inducstry and 401K and S125 and it was a great place and the training available was grea.
Good people.
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAMay 15, 2016
Good people. Manage your own schedule. Work with many different types of businesses. Supportive management who will do their best to help.
A Failure of human rights, and filled with disconnected corporate people.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 1, 2015
I would never work at this company again. Coming from the military and airport, i was used to having jobs that felt like a family. To my suprise as paychex is such a refutable company it is nothing short of the opposite. Paychex has established a cut throat culture and managed to reward said individuals partaking in these actions. Run by poor management, this company is on the decline and the turnover rate is reflective of just that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.