Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Great Company to work for 8-5 most days. As an outside sales job sometimes started before 8 and ended after 5. Worked autonomously and met with small businesses across upstate new york selling 401K plans. Management was always fluctuating in my department and there was no stability there. Seemed like becoming the manager of my division was a dead end. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping people start a retirement plan while the hardest part of the job was territory management as it was a lot of driving.
Pros
gas mileage, compensation, benefits
Cons
high turnover, no stability in management
Good training
Senior Payroll Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Company offers good training, advancement is difficult. The will be relocating out of San Diego soon. The employee morale is very low.
Great company because of the people
Implementation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CAMay 1, 2015
Paychex hires really great people who care about providing clients with the highest level of service. Work/life balance was good, benefits in line within the industry.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Software unreliable
Human Capital Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDDecember 8, 2015
Great culture. Great people. Great products. I would recommend working her to anyone who may inquire. Great training and advancement opportunities.
Workplace was fairly laid back but advancement and opportunities for growth left a lot to be desired
401k/S125 New Client Setup Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty straightforward, I would get assigned the incoming 401k and S125 sales from the previous day and onboard clients accordingly. I learned many things, including a great deal about emotional intelligence, better communication skills, how to manage people and personalities both below and beneath me within the hierarchy of the company. I learned about 401k plan administration and 401k plan rules and 5500 tax filings. The hardest part of the job was asking for help if/when I needed it, the culture of the business tried to encourage asking for help and/or asking questions when needed but in reality people who asked for help or questions in my department were viewed in a negative light. The most enjoyable part of the job is you were left to your own devices and able to organize your day however you saw fit, you could even work and listen to music with headphones on while you worked. My co-workers were great, we were all overworked but most of us would always help one another whenever and wherever we could.
Pros
good healthcare benefits, good 401k benefits with a good employer match
Cons
Short breaks, mandatory overtime, inability of department to assess job performance
Awful!
Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Providence, RIMay 25, 2016
This company use to be nice to work for but over the past few years it has become horrible. There is too much work and not enough people to do it. Advancement is impossible and the pay is very low. I do not recommend working for this company unless you have nerves of steel. Too much stress for minimal pay.
benefits
Cons
stress, pay, culture
Pleasant and Professional work environment
Temporary Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 10, 2015
It was a very pleasant and professional place to work. The job experience I gained there is invaluable and the hours were great for balancing work and home life. I would gladly work for this company in the future.
The job I had was just temporary so I do not know what kind of benefits and compensation they offer for full time employees.
Paychex needs to invest more in their employees
Human Resources Online Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 29, 2015
As far as non-Sales goes, this 3 billion dollar company gives low wages and minimal bonus/employee appreciation. They are flexible with days off and work/life balance, but you get different rules/perks based on your team even with in the same department.

They are based in Rochester, NY and pay good wages there, but the Denver office makes exactly the same amount when the cost of living in Denver is much more, and only on the rise.
Payroll Professional (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 2, 2015
Experiencing an incredible amount of growth at a very fast pace. Can improve in the areas of compensation and communication . Employees have lots of tenure . CEO is people oriented and knowledgable . Workload is demanding . Great benefits . Good people . Takes skill to navigate within the environment
Pros
long tenured employees, lots of opportunities, benefits
Cons
compensation, communication challenges, lots of turnover
Very Productive in time management
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAJanuary 7, 2016
All type of office procedure
Learn to work with people
Very timely management
Like all co-workers
The hardest part of the job is none.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to come in happy.
Pros
lunch providing each month
Cons
Some type of pet peeves

Want to know more about Paychex, Inc.?

Ask a question
Flexibility and Great Co-Workers
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 7, 2015
Paychex not only offers great health insurance, 401(k) match, and generous vacation time, but I am able to flex my schedule and work from home often.
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAApril 22, 2015
For entry level people coming into Paychex, it is a big shock. There are many things to learn, and a lot of training that is done within the first couple of months. It does seem, however, that its a fall down and pick yourself back up kind of mentality. The compensation does not nearly match the stress of the job.
Not bad, not always what its cracked up to be
401k/S125 setup (Current Employee) –  west henrietta, NYApril 16, 2015
Great opportunities to grow and develop, lots of training, always room for more responsibility.

The "leaders" of the organization are not held to any standard.

Always feel replaceable.

Flexible hours for most positions, lots of benefits, great time off, tuition reimbursement
Was a great place to work!
insurance sales agent (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 14, 2015
Management uses scare tactics on their employees and views the employee as just another number.
The 80+ agents are some of the best people around but all fear the management that has lead to several people leaving and posting out of the insurance agency.
Pros
Great people
Nice place to work
HRS Client Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 23, 2015
Great training. Plenty of opportunities to move up. Good work environment. Have met great people. Constantly promoting a healthy lifestyle.
Great benefits.
Pros
Cons
Some systems are old and need to be current on todays trends and use of technology.
Very productive and fast growing Company.
Customer Service Associate / Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 11, 2014
A typical day at work consists of calling Clients from your computer schedule. Taking payroll hours and Salaries. Making any changes that the Client requests, ie: new employees, transfers, terminations, etc.

I learned so much...from computer data entry to communicating with Clients.....taking care of their needs. Communicating with the IRS.

Management is very fair. They are there to help in any way they can.

My Co-workers are my friends, I keep in touch with some of them.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the many changes in the different services, especially the new ones.

The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to my clients. Taking care of them.
Pros
great benefits, company outings, good helpers within the company.
Cons
stress, no overtime accepted. very busy environment.
A company that values their employees as much as their clients
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 13, 2014
A typical day at work would be busy.
I learned how to apply my time management and organizational skills when having to balance time on the phone, and busy work (filing tax returns, fixing payroll errors, etc....)
Management was great, I felt that they really earn their paycheck and try to keep everything balanced for everyone.
My co-workers did everything to help if they could.
The hardest part of the job was that its not what I wanted to do in life.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I felt like I worked for a company that wants their employees to succeed and move up the ladder, never standing still.
Pros
wonderful pay, benefits, work environment, great management
Cons
not the type of job that i'm passionate about.
Not the best work-life balance
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 6, 2015
Paychex' is no longer investing in their Illinois Branch. They are not replacing employees that leave the company. Although there have not been any layoffs, there are less opportunities and the future is uncertain. Work-life balance is very poor due to "blocked time" policy.
Pros
competitive benefits and pay
Cons
very little work-life balance
Need more quailfied managers. They also need to have strickter rules and enforce them whenever the rules are violated
Bulk Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Americus, GAJanuary 21, 2016
If they were to have employees doing the jobs they hire them to do things would work smoother. They need to train their employees to put out quality work as well as meeting production.
Pros
They only have one shift.
Cons
They layoff fast.
Fun place to work......Management loves to micro manage seasoned sales professionals
Human Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2016
I came in as a top producer and proved myself immediately. I can accept constructive criticism but cannot rationalize texts like "are you alive" when I am a top producer. Learn how to develop not insult your top performers