Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews

Professional, courteous, friendly enviroment
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 10, 2017
An incredibly successful corporate sales model of calls to sales. An incredible opportunity to learn the typical sales cycle and customer retention model.
Not worth it. Overworked and underpaid
Senior Major Markets Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2017
I literally walked out and quit yesterday after being there 4 years. In Operations you will receive inadequate training, be underpaid, little guidance by mgmt. team, and impossible workloads. It's helpful for knowledge only because you basically have to teach yourself everything. It's helpful for resumes and experience history. Beyond that it's a waste of your time and not very much room for advancement. The technology is old and constant technical issues. I would not recommend.
Pros
great health benefits, no nights and weekends to wrk
Cons
Everything else
Productive and Fun Work Place
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 8, 2017
Flexibility in your day to day schedule with guidance from management. Must be personally motivate to run your own business and take responsibility of your territory. Fantastic training, plus great perks like company lap top, expense account etc.
Great place to work. Very focussed on quotas/metrics
Senior Payroll Consultant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Great place to work, strong company. Days consist of making appointments and working close with inter-office partners to increase sales. Very focused on quotas/metrics-great training program
Awesome public company to work for!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
This company takes pride in promoting sales management from within! Company benefits are also top-notch!

Hardest part of the job is competing with the other vendors in the industry - at times the industry can seem quite saturated with competitors.
family oriented
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 5, 2017
Very busy day with processing payroll and account audits. Daily clerical duties. I have learned the true meaning of a Administrative
Assistant I loved every minute. There was nothing hard about this job just frequent changes in the systems. My co-worker are the most enjoyable part of each day.
Pros
nice people
Cons
system issues
Great place to start your sales career
Retirement Plan Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 2, 2017
Payroll Sales Company, there was much overlap with Payroll Sales, HR Sales and Retirement Plan Sales. Most clients felt bombarded by Paychex sales people. I enjoyed the working with people on my team and other colleagues in different departments.
Great place to learn from clients and business owners
Payroll Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2017
A great part of the day to day job is dealing with business owners and learning how they got started and or stayed in business for so many years.

Iv learned a lot about other industries outside of payroll and insurance because of my diverse client base.
Productive and fun place to work
District Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2017
My time at Paychex has provided me much valuable learning. My boss was direct and challenging but also fair and kind. The overall work environment was accepting and fun.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJanuary 31, 2017
Paychex is a wonderful place to work. The best part is the sales reps. They are the best co-workers I have ever worked with. Supportive and Encouraging of each other. Management needs improvement.
Pros
Co workers
amazing place to work,
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 29, 2017
it had the perfect work/life balance and will tend to the employees needs. i just wish i could have worked there longer seeing as i was just contracted with the comapny
A day in the life of a Paychex Employee at BeneTrac
Technical Operations Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2017
Starts out reading your inbox, and sorting through the project management screens in BeneTrac, and to plan your daily tasks.

The new management was the hardest part about the job. They changed policies and rules, and only informed you in bits and pieces of things verbally and never gave out things in writing that were related to the changes that applied to me directly and they treated people very differently so they lost a lot of staff due to this change. There was a big personality difference between the people that I worked with directly and the new upper management team.

I was sad to go because I was praised many times for work well done, and for helping others, and I also won several monthly drawings for prizes by nominations from my coworkers.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when after 3pm, mostly everyone else goes home, because they work an earlier shift, and I could get more work done while they were not talking about their personal lives or complaining about their job, after 3pm, until I got off work at 5pm.

I also enjoyed working with all the different healthcare insurance carriers to gather the data needed to build the websites for the clients. I had a really good rapport with most of the people that I spoke with at the carriers, and in the office.
Pros
Benefits package is nice, but EXPENSIVE for a family of 2 or more
Cons
your take home is only half of your total compensation after benefits
productive
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJanuary 28, 2017
we remained very busy -- but it was very boring work.
packed paychecks for large companies and made sure they got distributed.
I didn't learn anything

n/a
Pros
n/a
Cons
boring
Very Professional Atomsphere
Receptionist and general office duties as assigned (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for Paychex, Your work day was very detailed oriented and fast paced. I always felt as if I accomplished something everyday. I also had a chance to meet and greet out clients which was nice to have that face to face relationship also.
Benefits
Independent sales job
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 27, 2017
A typical work day includes cold-calling, emailing and telemarketing in your territory to conduct sales with new and current clients. I learned the importance of organization and being assertive. The hardest part is organizing your days and competing with other companies.
Paychex
Major Market Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJanuary 27, 2017
Great place to work! A typical day at Paychex is telemarketing prospects, Salesforce Management, meeting with prospects and selling full Hire to Retire technology.
Great opportunities to move up within the company
Implementation Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2017
It is a wonderful place to work 9f you like working with a supportive team. They are employee driven and there is a lot of opportunities to move around within the company.
Overworked and underpaid
Operating Risk Audit Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 23, 2017
Good company for starting your career but be prepared to have nothing work correctly and the expectation to work around it no matter what. Despite having system issues the general consensus is that the company under pays their employees but do have good benefits.
Productive and work with great people
Senior Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJanuary 21, 2017
I have been with Paychex for a short time due to the transition
I work with the same people on Maine that I worked with before the transition which was a plus and helped a lot.
Low pay, Tons of work
HR Generalist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 18, 2017
If you are working in operations at Paychex, you will spend your time looking for another job. Paychex does offer good bandits, but the salaries are deplorable. Expectations are inconsistent with communicated metrics. Paychex offers a number of services which are deployed out of separate silos; these silos do not cooperate with one another and are all run out of the corporate office in Rochester, NY. This creates a mountain of issues for those supporting the products in the field. When something goes wrong, the service silos point the finger at one another and do little to offer solutions and often leave clients with a poor experience. These client experiences bleed into ambiguous surveys which are a signify metric for those supporting clients in the field. The most frustrating part is how upper-management tows the company line, it's borderline comical...ala Office Space. If you are ready to bury your head in the sand and settle into a mind numbing career with no hopes or dreams; Paychex might be the place for you. If you are part of the sales team, life is grand.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval