Paycom Employee Reviews

Team Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 5, 2016
The best culture in any place I've worked. I enjoyed learning more about the financial industry, including payroll and taxes.

There are several departments within the giant buildings of Paycom. Each department is divided into teams of about 10 specialists supervised by a team lead. It was nice to have the support of a team, especially in such a large company.

Also, the year end party is totally worth the hard work you do during year end.
Pros
Excellent benefits and training classes, inspirational meetings, $4 lunches, exciting and fun culture.
Cons
Year end, work/life balance
Five years and I still love where I work
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2015
The culture is what drew me to Paycom and the reason I still love working here. Everyone at Paycom has an attitude of servitude, not only with customers but among co-workers as well and that is rare to find I think. At Paycom, you jump right in. A lot is thrown your way the first year, but it's only because this is a fast-paced, constantly growing environment. I want to tell people about Paycom and how we can help their business. Using Paycom myself I know how great it is, so sharing that with others is fun. I would definitely recommend Paycom to my friends or anyone looking for a career you can be proud of!
Pros
Great benefits package, $1 Healthcare, $4 catered lunches, ongoing training classes, fun culture, employee events
Cons
flex scheduling for departments would be a nice perk
They drink the Kool aid
Human Capital Consultant (Former Employee) –  anonymousAugust 10, 2015
I'm a very hard worker and put my all into my work but Paycom doesn't care and your just a number. They talk all the time on how amazing they are but I disagree. I'm never one to complain but this was the worst job experience I've ever had, they made me doubt myself and all my colleagues feel the same way. If you take the job, you'll be super excited and pumped at first because they feed you this dream but two months in and you'll be living on pins and needles. Don't expect to have a life for at least a year, no lie.

Pros:
good compensation
great benefit
fun training
awesome office space

Cons:
Awful, awful management (they pretend they care about you then play favoritism)
DONT care about you at all!!
work 80 hrs a week at least
unrealistic goals (your nervous about your job security every week)
Productive and Fun place to work
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 7, 2016
The day starts with checking emails and reviewing tickets submitted by PAYCOM Specialists. I have learned a lot about the software development life cycle and the results of a effective collaborative team working together to provide software solutions to customers. The most challenging part of the job is priority management of projects as it can change frequently throughout the development life cycle. The most enjoyable is the people of PAYCOM and their positive supportive attitude towards assisting each other to obtain the main objective.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
No cafeteria staff
Never had a workplace like this.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 21, 2015
Working at Paycom has not been what I expected. I LOVE working here. The culture here is amazing. The company goes out of its way to make sure everyone is comfortable here. When I first started, I was welcomed with open arms by everyone on my team, now I feel like I have another family. It is a work hard, play hard kind of company. The benefits are amazing as well. Paycom knows how to treat their employees. I would 100% recommend the company to everyone and anyone.
Wonderful Opportunity for Growth, Great Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2015
During my tenure at Paycom, I have witnessed and experienced tremendous growth. The company has a leveling system in most every department, so it is obvious what needs to be accomplished in order to get a raise and move up.

The leadership team is amazing and is always looking for ways to do more and better the organization as a whole. There are training courses for everyone within the organization.

If you are looking for a career where you have limitless opportunities with a high-growth company, I would highly recommend this organization.
Pros
Catered lunches, $1 healthcare, free gym, free drinks, employee stock purchase program and great leadership who cares about your success.
Cons
Adding family to the healthcare plan can be expensive.
Growing Company with amazing potential for advancement
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2015
Paycom has been the best job I've had since graduating college 5 years ago. There is incredible opportunity for advancement to be had if you work hard. With an on-site gym and catered lunches, Paycom really caters to their employees and wants them to be happy.
Pros
Gym, Fun Work Environment, Great Co-workers
Cons
Benefits are only beneficial for those who are single.
Great culture, good advancement opportunity, office politics
Additioal Business (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKJuly 13, 2015
Great place to work. Decent pay, great benefits. Due to its tremendous growth there are lots of advancement opportunities.
Training is a hot word and a big deal, though not executed very well.
Culture is great and communicated a lot.
Office politics do play a bigger role than they admit, so how you communicate is more important than performance once you get past entry level.
Pros
Catered lunches, onsite gym and activities, great benefits, clean environment
Cons
Office politics, lack of trainin beyond the basics.
Be aware of what you are getting yourself into
Paycom Specialist (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKMay 10, 2016
I worked at Paycom for a while as a Paycom Specialist, and the job was different than what I expected. I was told that I would build relationships with clients, and that is what attracted me to the job.

However, there is a ton of technology to learn and it is rather frustrating at times. These clients that you are supposed to be building relationships with will be very frustrated when they call you 75% of the time, at least in my personal experience.

To be fair, they warned me it would be hard, but I was under the impression intellectually difficult, instead of emotionally draining.

The company is a good company and they do offer good benefits. I could have explored potentially transferring into another job or department, and I think I would have been happy.

So, just be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Also, since I've left, I've had guys from there message me on Facebook...... It's a very "young" culture. Be ready for a lot of people to try to ask you out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, no judgment, take what you can get.
Pros
"Fresh" (PC for young) culture
Cons
Emotionally draining, difficult material
Contrary to Popular Belief - The World Doesn't Revolve Around Paycom
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 28, 2015
Paycom has a boatload of challenges to deal with as it tries to grow into a respectable corporation. At a high level, the corporate culture is nothing short of toxic and like many other reviewers have called out, you are absolutely expected to "drink the koolaid." A perfect example of this is that I was actually told by a business leader not to discuss market challenges with other managers because they "don't sanction excuses" and "my team can't handle the truth." Rather than leadership being confident enough to talk about issues honestly and transparently and actually deal with them head on, they prefer to sweep things under the rug. If you are lucky, you might get told "this is a safe environment where you can be honest" then get blasted when you do tell the truth. They are not open to other's ideas or new ways of doing things and typically demand people accomplish work via the "professional insanity" method (you know...keep doing things the same way and expect different results). One of many examples I could provide is that I had a strategy meeting scheduled with executive leadership to try to fix an entirely broken compensation system for a certain employee population that was cancelled and rescheduled 12 times. I eventually had to give up and acknowledge they had no intention of fixing internal problems even though that was the spiel I was given. This tells you how much they care about their employees. There is a sickening, fear-based leadership style that pervades all levels and is spear-headed by ownership and most team members at the C-level. Throughout all  more... internal business units there are a handful of people that can make life miserable for everyone else but apparently this is perfectly acceptable and in some cases encouraged if one is fortunate enough to make "teacher's pet" status. Additionally, backstabbing and tattle-telling is another perfectly acceptable means of jockeying for position in leadership ranks as well. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of bright, hard-working, and honest people that work there, but unfortunately this is ruined by a handful that are allowed to act incredibly unprofessionally. Another challenge has to do with pay practices. Although they will pay leaders quite well, they simply do not pay competitively for many entry and mid-level roles. They are rigid around this policy and are just now waking up to the reality they may need to pay something semi-competitive for certain roles that they struggle to fill due to a high volume of rejected offers. Additionally, they truly believe paying someone in NYC or Silicon Valley the exact same for a role as what they pay in Oklahoma is a winning compensation strategy. Anyone with national hiring experience knows that is ignorant. Another callout by several reviewers is that they force employees to post positive company reviews to compensate for negative reviews they receive on multiple sites. This is 100% true and accurate, particularly in sales and recruiting. Leadership would argue that they don't hold a gun to anyone's head and force them to do this, but I don't know what else to call it when you are repeatedly pressured to leave a positive review until you get it done. Paycom has been very fortunate to have a boatload of financial success which they continue to count on moving forward, but when this starts to plateau, they will be faced with a sad reality. Although C-levels would do their best to convince you they are a "fully established" and "mature" organization this is far from the truth and they have a lot of growing to do. Overall, they suffer from a bad case of corporate "little-man" syndrome and don't appear to care enough to want to change things. Many people will read this review and immediately chalk it up to "sour grapes," but every thing stated is factual and could be verified by a slew of other employees if they didn't fear losing their job (the brave ones would validate it anyways). If given the opportunity to work for them, do yourself a favor and pass. Perhaps 10-15 years from now (if they are still around and have cleaned house in the leadership ranks), it could be worth a shot. Paycom: "They may have dollars, but they just don't have any sense."  less
Pros
n/a
Cons
Fear based leadership style, poor pay for many roles, work/life balance out of wack, rampant backstabbing and "high-schoolish" behavior

Comment – November 3, 2015

Paycom is a fast-paced, growing organization. Coming to Paycom in a managerial role from another company requires a great deal of resilience, dedication and vision along with the ability to acclimate quickly. We have great leaders who have come up through the organization and others who have brought new ideas and valuable experience from outside of Paycom. All are committed to the proven values and business model that has earned us the success we enjoy today. Our pay structure, our work/life balance and our leadership all received high scores from our employees, which has earned Paycom the title as one of the Best Places to Work in the state and country.

Growing Company with Great Opportunities
Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 15, 2015
I haven't been at Paycom very long, but in my short time so far, I have discovered how much of an impact I'm able to make on our customers. Our business model really allows us to identify ways to grow and continue to challenge ourselves. While the work may never stop, and the days may be long sometimes, it's a sign of a growing company and eventually that gets better - just stick with it. If you're looking for cushy, chill, and laid-back, you aren't going to thrive. So many opportunities for growth and managers are available and accessible.
Pros
$1 health insurance, free gym, $4 lunchs, great culture
Cons
growing company "growing pains", can be overwhelming at times
Proud to be part of the Paycom team!
Paycom (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 2, 2015
Paycom is somewhere that you can join and build an amazing career. I have been here for almost five years and watched us build out our campus, enhance our growth paths, start new teams and all in all become the best place in Oklahoma to work!! As a hiring manager I am very proud of the standards of excellence we have. It can be very frustrating to the people who don't make the cut and probably more so for those that make the cut but quickly realize that they just can't keep the pace of Paycom. However our standards allow us to hire and retain great people.

We are growing like crazy and with growth comes many opportunities to shine. Some people fall behind or just fall out but the best of the best have opportunities like they never thought possible! So many of my friends have been promoted and we are all making more money. Now that being said, not everyone makes it. We are doing amazing things at light speed so occasionally people realize that Paycom is not for them.

Here is what I love the most about Paycom. Our leaders are truly committed to their people. We have lots of training programs that help us be better. We have annual reviews where we use our own system and get feedback and vision for the future. I have worked many places before that you had no idea what you needed to do to get promoted. Our founder and CEO cares about everyone. He will eat lunch in the cafeteria with a group of people, he plays basketball with everyone in the league. I know he has high expectations but that is one of the key reasons Paycom is where we are today!!

I enjoy the gym.
  more... It has helped me and many others lose weight and get in shape but not take away from family time! We requested healthy lunch options in our survey and we now have a healthy option every day! I made a goal to be in shape before the next Year End Party! YEP is another awesome perk where we are all taken to Dallas for an awesome event at the Omni and Paycom pays for our dinner and hotel!!

IF you can earn a spot on the Paycom team then you should jump on board and make the most of it. We are definitely going places and I know I am personally very excited to be along for the ride!
Pros
Growth, Progressive comp plans, work hard play hard but family friendly, the gym, healthy lunch option daily
Cons
Growth - anytime you grow this fast it comes with a few pains here and there.
Productive and fun work place
Ultra Care Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 22, 2015
Productive and fun work place. There is opportunity to advance at Paycom but you will have to work hard to get there. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that you get to work with, they become more like family over time than coworkers. You will have a chance to be creative and innovative here and will learn that the sky is the limit.
Pros
People
Cons
Stressful
Paycom Celebrates Your Success!!!
New Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 14, 2015
I absolutely love working at Paycom HQ. We are constantly being celebrated and rewarded for our successes. My favorite thing about work is that my coworkers are also my friends and they all want me to be the absolutely best that I can be! My manager cares about my personal achievements and continually seeks out ways to mentor me and development into a successful professional.

I would recommend Paycom to anyone who wishes to find success!
Pros
AWESOME benefits and employee perks ($4 lunches, $1 health insurance, on-site company gym, etc)
Cons
Quite a bit of traffic & parking is crowded because of the construction on the third building, They are building a new lot so hopefully that will clear up soon.
High Risk/ High Reward
Client Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 28, 2015
Decent place to work, but work/life balance is non-existent. I love working with existing clients and building those relationships, but the management makes it hard to do my job because of the strict rules they set in place: 12 appts/week, $8K sold/week, different types of meetings needed/week
Pros
great compensation, reimbursement, car allowance
Cons
no PTO, long hours, micro-managing
Must want a completely career focused life
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 26, 2013
The interview process is ridiculously lengthy, and they make you think that you are not quite right for the job, just so you will want to prove them wrong. I made the mistake of falling for this and should have known that this company's culture wasn't for me in the beginning. You must want to center your life around your career to be successful, and I was not willing to sacrifice relationships for my job, so I helped contribute to their very high turnover. If you think that you can handle spending the majority of your time being told "no" and annoying people at their places of work daily, then you can make a great living. Be sure that you can be happy in a "typical day at work" before jumping in at Paycom.
Pros
great base salary
Cons
just about everything else
Fun, friendly and driven culture
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CityApril 29, 2013
Every day is fun and challenging. We are a growing company so there is always a lot to do. I have worked other places where some people loafed and others did the bulk of the work. It seems like every person here makes an impact. They have lots of fun events and things every month. Free gym is great with classes and locker rooms. Good lunches for only $4 and benefits are good. $1 health insurance is only for employees so if you have a family you pay a lot more. Overall I am having a great time. It seems like people get promoted every month so that is a good sign!
Pros
promotions happen often, culture, they want people to enjoy their time at work.
Cons
family benefit coverage, busiest time of the year is around thanksgiving and christmas, hard to take time off
Great place to work if you are wanting to work
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 3, 2014
Paycom is amazing! I've had a few different jobs at large companies and never have I seen a company out so much time and effort into training, promotion plans, and making people happy. My first year was spent working towards a goal of getting promoted and I got promoted 4 times! My salary increased with each step and I couldn't ask for more. $1 EE only insurance, $4 decent lunches, free gym with boot camp classes, and free swag on a monthly basis. These are just some of the things you can expect from working a Paycom. Like I said before, they tell you exactly what you need to do to be promoted and give you ongoing, state of the art training in order to accomplish your goals. Management really cares about EEs.
Pros
lunch, insurance, training, gym, money!
Cons
vacation time- too little
You can make it here .... if you are willing to stick it out
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 30, 2013
Paycom offers continual training and benefits. My issues however were with their lack of attention to their employees. From day one you are thrown into the fire and need to figure it out. Although the information you need is on the computer, no one ever helps you find what you need... even if you ask your manager. Management doesn't want anything to do with you unless you are a star. I am good at sales but the pushy 8 hours of cold calling a week is not my style and didn't work for me. In addition my direct manager immature and even pulled out a cell phone during a meeting with a client to text. I decided it is not where I wanted to be. The turnover rate is NOT 4% like they tell you. but... if you are willing to push through and tough out getting written up... you will succeed.
Pros
great benefits, ongoing training, great pay
Cons
stressful, pressure, fear for job security, overall unhealty mentally
Great product, great compensation, boiler room in sales
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2012
The company has a great product that excels in its targeted market. The compensation is very lucrative and the total compensation (salary, commission, benefits, stock options, 401k, President's Club, etc.) is hard to beat. All aspects of the sales role are highly micro-managed. This is not a job for experienced sales professionals. If you are fresh out of college or in your first 1-3 years in the workplace, this is a great company to make great earnings and learn a tremendous amount about professional B2B sales. Warning: the work environment is a pressure cooker. Even when you are over plan you will still feel burdened for not having more deals to bring in. This lends itself to very high turnover. There are very few sales reps that have been with the company more than 2-3 years. Overall, you can make a great living for 1-3 years if you can put up with the stress; not a great place for the development of a long term career.
Pros
compensation structure
Cons
pressure cooker