Payless Drugs Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great learning experience
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 13, 2017
This company has since been sold to Payless Northwest, they intern sold to Thirty, than to Rite Aid

Before buy out, Payless was a very employee friendly Company
Pros
It was a great job, smaller company
Cons
After merger, corperated attitudes
Poor management and limited training
Pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 14, 2016
Management is unorganized and unprofessional. Branch manager has leads do all her work in addition to their own. Leads do not adequately train. They basically throw you in and say "figure it out". Management plays favorites and contributes to work gossip.
No thanks...
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 28, 2016
The whole time that I work for this company they were hardly ever fully staffed; there is a reason for that. They don't value the good employees and they play favorites. Staff is over worked & under paid. Though that seems fairly common for pharmacy. 'Closing' was supposed to be at 7pm, we hardly ever got out on time. Sometimes being there ridiculously late! The management changes a lot but it's never been very professional, including the Portland management.

Basically, I wouldn't go back.
Pros
Wear what you want; closed door rx; good benefits
Cons
Low pay; open evenings, weekends & holidays; usually understaffed
Management is unprofessional and supports gossip while contributing to it!
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 27, 2016
All I can say in my opinion is look for another job and don't waste your time. Too many people who love to gossip and put people down. Management allows it and contributes to it.
You will also have overtime until the job is completed for the day, so don't think you can leave when your shift is over.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Great staff, poor management/unorganized
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 17, 2016
I loved it until my boss retired and other people started leaving the company. Team dynamic was awesome, but once people quit and moved on, it wasn't the same. Loved all my co-workers. Great group of people to work/interact with. Communication between people in different departments was pretty good, but you would have to follow up multiple times to see if certain things were taken care of. Some members of management are not very organized and you will need to refer back to emails and other means of communication to refresh his/her memories on certain issues. Most people there are very friendly and treat you with respect.

In 2014-2015 it took over a year to get an "Annual" Review. Reviews are the only means to qualify you for a raise...so once they were completed they promised that they'd do "back payments" to accommodate the missing dollars from previous paychecks.

They will monitor your time/hours on the clock. Never be more than 5 minutes early to clock in, and never clock out early either. And be as productive and efficient as you can (they are keeping track of how much work you actually do). They are on a "point" system, so you cannot be late more than 14 times in a rolling calendar year (this includes clocking in, clocking out, and breaks and lunches). If you exceed this they will put you on a performance review for 60-90 days and if you are late one time during that period, you're fired.

Horrible set shifts. This place is open 24/7 and every holiday. I worked in the middle of the day with an hour long lunch break. (the same hours as most shopping malls/stores,
  more... so you can't go do anything unless it's the weekend). They also give the worst shift to new hires (weird days/ shifts) so it may take over a year-two before your shift changes.

Good benefits. 80/20 health/dental/vision coverage for the most part. Inexpensive cost per paycheck.

Pay varies by department and experience: IV dept, billing, PA, Special services, packing, processing, on-boarding, customer service, e-box dept, Controls processing, etc.

They offer raffles for tickets to MODA CENTER events, BBQs, and catered luncheons, which was a nice perk. Receive a B-day gift each year. And, they give a nice Christmas gift at the end of the year.

Not a bad place to work, but it's about who you work with that makes the difference.
Pros
the staff, pay, helping people
Cons
work-life balance
Worst place I have ever worked as a pharmacy technician in 10 years!
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMarch 26, 2016
Everyone seems so nice in the beginning. However, the managers and supervisors have had no training in management, so the departments do not seem to work together. Everything is always frantic and stressful because there is always a backlog in work. The management emphasizes quantity of scripts processed, no matter what difficulties (insurance, clarification, etc.) were involved to measure job performance, rather than ensuring quality and accuracy standards are met. The place is a mess. Addressing management about any concerns is encouraged, but when you do talk to them, nothing gets fixed or done.
Pros
Okay money, but not great
Cons
Overworked, over stressed, disorganized, unprofessional behavior from managers
Great Company to work for
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2016
I had an amazing experience working for this company, they treat employees very well. Great monthly activities, very good healthcare insurance, the staff is amazing.
Great working environment
Packing Technician (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 28, 2015
It is always great working with a company that values your hard work and effort, as well as having a great team to work with. We are constantly helping each other as a team to improve and succeed in helping our patients and clients.
Pros
your hard work never goes un noticed
Cons
none that I could think of at the moment
Doesn't value it's employees.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Tigard, OROctober 29, 2015
As much as I like what I do, the company is pretty awful. There is decent work/life balance, the management is ok, and the pay could be better, but literally every hourly employee that I know of, and have talked to, has been overdue for a review (raise) since July. And every time you inquire about it to HR, they tell you to speak to your supervisor. Every time you speak to your supervisor, they tell you to talk to HR. Coupled with the fact that the CEO loves to talk about how well the company is doing financially at company meetings, but apparently not enough to care about rewarding their employees and recognizing their hard work with fair and just financial compensation Not to mention the company is moving to the Gresham area next year, which caused a lot of upper management to retire and upset a large number of longtime employees who live on the west side of the Willamette river.
Pros
Paycheck, Schedule is fairly consistant, workload is reasonable
Cons
Doesn't pay well, seems like a disorganized company that puts profits above employees and patients
Treat employees like garbage.
Technician (Former Employee) –  PortlandAugust 9, 2015
Avoid unless you genuinely need the income. Payless tends to use their hard working employees and stretch them to the limit, then in 2014, not a single employee got a year-end pay raise. They'll lie and mislead you, and the entire management is strictly family, so good luck trying to get HR to cover your back.
Amazing atmosphere
Packing technician (Current Employee) –  Everett, WaMay 14, 2015
I absolutely love working here. Management is very professional as well as easy to talk to. The employees are very knowledgeable and hard workers. This place took me in when no other place would and I am thriving!!
Pros
Great atmosphere
Good Foundation To Company Prior To Being Merged with ODS
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 5, 2013
Awesome company employees and coworkers benefits etc. Once ODS took over though its values ethics and corporate responsibilities changed the company overall and the ways it looks at its customers and inconsequentially its employees. Treats them with disrespect inmidiation inferiorates in order to improve corporate profit margins.
Pros
good company until corporate take over
Cons
Too many to list.
Avoid rinky dink operation
confidential (still employed) (Current Employee) –  EverettFebruary 27, 2013
Upper management unstable and unprofessional, Everett manager...manic depressive and emotional. Difficult work environment. Very disappointing....AVOID.
Pros
hours
Cons
unstable, non professional cady environment
Being that it was my first job, I enjoy every minute of it.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CASeptember 6, 2012
Payless drugs was a great company to work for, they gave me many opportunities, the pharmacy manager and staff pharmacist that i worked with passed on to me all the great knowledge they had. I learned so much and once i had the opportunity to pass it on to someone else was a great feeling. All us co-workers were like a close family including our patients. I enjoyed very much working for this company that open all the doors possible and even paid for my schooling to become a pharmacy technician right out of high school.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
none. enjoyable place to work
Great Place to work
Cashier / Stocking (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 2, 2012
Loved working here, had other workers coming to me to teach them how to use the register.