Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work with lots of traffic so you were never bored.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTNovember 22, 2017
We would stock shelves and make sure that things were in their right places as well as help customers if they needed and provided accurate information about our products.
Pros
Great work environment with a decent pay and opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Breaks could have been longer considering we were in the mall.
Work Hard & Have fun.
Multi Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Claremore, OKNovember 21, 2017
Being organized is a must. I learned to develop a strong team and develop them as far as they were willing to learn. The company currently needs to work on setting clear goals & expectations of its mangers while setting attainable guidelines to accomplish them all. I love empowering associates & a strong team and it allowed me to do that.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Turnover
Aweful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHNovember 21, 2017
Quickly moved up the ranks since I was a reliable employee. Too many hours to work alone with no breaks and no other help. Money per hour was atrocious. Management only checked in for weekly register survey scores but had nothing to do with day to day operations.
Quick turn around
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 21, 2017
Stocking the shelf with shoes and purses. I how to get people to buy more then what they were wanting to buy. Being the only worker on the floor when we had a rush of people.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
working holidays
nice people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 21, 2017
Pay is not a reflection of work. Competition is demanded among other workers and often creates tension. managers do not have enough aotonamy and are often countermanded.
Productive Fun
Sales/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Randallstown, MDNovember 21, 2017
Everyone got along. Mangament was cool and understanding. Everything went smoothly when everyone did their job. Store stayed clean. We all helped wach other
Pros
Management was cool
hate customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CANovember 20, 2017
i was working two jobs around this time and it was during Christmas season. it was horrible working retail during that time and influenced my decision a little bit.
management was definitely suffering .
equial oppertunity
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 20, 2017
count the drawer for my shift check for any sales wait on customers I had 3 employees under me then keep the store clean and organized at the end of the night count the drawer drop money in the safe or take to the bank after I locked up
Pros
management ex
Cons
no breaks
A job where you NEED the right manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MONovember 20, 2017
A good place to work... If you're with the right people. I can't disclose too much information, but the job was one I did over the summer, for a class. It's fine if you have someone else to help with your bills, or if you're a manager.
It is near impossible to get fired, especially if you're a manger. Also, if you're looking for a pay raise, good luck jumping through hoops and not getting a straight answer.
Pros
flexible scheduling, easy to grasp
Cons
lack of advancement
i loved my job at payless
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CANovember 19, 2017
Other than the low pay ,I didn't have any problems working at payless , my team was super nice and my manager was by far the best manager I have ever Had . I was treated with respect by my supervisors , there was great structure and flexibility in my work hours.
Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2017
Great environment working in that store. I was able to help customer and give my sugestión in which shoes are better for them . Running cashier im busy days it’s help me to assist each customer
It’s a good place to work, but pay is horrible.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 18, 2017
Love the job, love the customers, but you’re expected to do everything in the store and get paid just above minimum. Don’t expect raises, you might or might not get one depending on how the year goes. If you do get one, don’t expect a whole lot.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Balanced and fast paced environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 17, 2017
Hours are consistent every work week. Nice place to work if you like interacting with people. Manager & associates are very friendly and understanding! Everyone has the same responsibilities!
Pros
Low key atmosphere
Cons
Rude customers
my time at payless
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDNovember 17, 2017
Payless was a nice chill job to have during my time there. I was a Key holder and I directed employees things to do on a daily basis. Sometimes the job was fast paced sometimes it was slow. i enjoyed managing the floor though.
Pros
Hour Break
Cons
No cons
Unsettling
Computer Operator II (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 17, 2017
I worked there almost five years. Each fall season the company laid off workers. This made it very unsettling to me because you didn't know when your number would be called. I did get laid off this past May of 2017.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
No advancement opportunities, too many layoffs
Love
Layton - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  UtahNovember 17, 2017
I loved the management and how they treat their employees like they are family. The environment was comfortable, relaxed and absolutely amazing. It was the best job i ever had.
productive non beneficial work place
FULLTIME/ PART TIME KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GANovember 16, 2017
-A typical work day at my location would consist of helping customers find shoes, sock, etc. On other days, there would be receiving and breaking down shipment, tagging and changing prices on merchandise, and executing marketing plans for specials.
- Ive learned more about marketing and the company's numbers when it comes to the customers.
- Management could be better if they carried their selfs in a more professional manner. Ive only had one out of the three that i got along with. As well as putting personal feelings as side, you will find they will be passive aggressive and do things like not give you enough hours or speak bad about you behind your back.
- the workplace over all has a nice flow too it when its busy, otherwise its steady and slow.
-The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with your numbers and customers. Anyone walking in or out is tracked and if they don't buy anything you are in the red. It doesn't matter how much you do in the store work wise; your work review relies on the customer.
-The most enjoyable part would have to be getting paid every week. My co workers were nice but at the end of it all thats all that i looked forward too.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Hour Break
Cons
no benefits for part-time employees, no contracted hours, limited employee benefits
Staff
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLNovember 16, 2017
The staff there are really easy to get a long with. The team hands down are amazing but the company itself not so great. If you were to work there calling out wouldn’t be advised. I called out twice and almost got fired the third time I called out. If you were to work there get on the good side of the managers and the assistant manager and do the job well done, you should be fine.
Pros
Staff, one hour breaks, and the business flow.
Cons
Customers, hours, pay, and company
Typical Retail
Sales Associate/Key carrier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 15, 2017
The best part of the job is when the the volume of customers is steady and you are working with another person, the worst part of the job is when you are dealing with a shipment of shoes and you get a customers who are stressed, having a bad day, and decide to inflict that on anyone and everyone else. The schedule is made by the manager of the store and is typically inconsistent from week to week, you can get anywhere from ten to thirty hours a week if you are a part time associate and full time fifteen hours to forty hours. The upper management mismanages the company insisting that the associates make sales of multiple items and punishes the people who don't, this breeds a culture of associates selling cheap socks and other items as the secondary item. Typically associates have to use coupons to make the goals set by the company which usually end with the total sales being low for the day.
Poor hourly pay and people with bad attitudes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALNovember 15, 2017
I was a key holder at Payless Shoe Source and i only got payed 7.50 an hour and the workers were not very productive. The job was not very organized and management wasn't the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.