PayPal

PayPal United States Employee Reviews

Good compensation, poor culture
MTS1 Software Engineer (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free snacks, good work-life, good compensation
Cons: Zero culture or team camaraderie, management horrible and rewards sychophants
Work-life balance good, fairly low stress environment, but if you don't fit a certain personality type, you will be relegated to bottom of the performance "calibration curve" and will get poor ratings and generally be ignored by management in favor of the teacher's pet types. Visibility is supreme at PayPal, and counts for more than results. So if you aren't a self-promoter, you will fade into obscurity.

Also there are frequent re-orgs and layoffs every few years.
amazing environment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee), Chandler, AZApril 20, 2015
management is a motivation and coworkers are incredible. hardest part of the job is staying motivated to take back to back calls for an 8 hour shift
Lots of potential, not as good as it could be
Showcase Spokesperson (Former Employee), Silicon Valley, CAApril 20, 2015
Pros: on site cafe, fitness center, free soda/fruit/bagles, strong benefits
Cons: compensation is low for Silicon Valley
PayPal has all the potential to be a leader in everything it does, but in the two years I was there failed to execute for their employees and their clients. Stronger leadership is needed who care for the development of their employees as much as they do for their product. Both were lacking while I was at PayPal.
I would however work for them again, if they could get those two things sorted out and compensate fairly for the area.
Productive workplace with the ability to grow
Customer Support Agent/Collections (Former Employee), Hunt Valley, MDApril 17, 2015
PayPal's workplace is a productive workplace with the ability to grow with in it. A typical day at work is to have a goal as well as having friendly competitions with others to collect the most which is always fun. Working at this job i learned to be more patient and having self control as well as learning the job duties. The workplace is well managed with amazing and friendly co-workers. I would have to say most difficult part or the job was with dealing with rude customers which requires a lot of patience but the most enjoyable is the perks and games we play to relieve stress at work which also helps our numbers.
PayPal
Debit Card Specialist (Current Employee), La Vista, NEApril 10, 2015
A ten hour shift consist of assistning customers via email and calls. The majority of my skills have been aquired from here. Co-workers for the most part are very close within the teams. My immediate supervisor is always willing to assist. The hardest part of the job is seeing the higher up supervisors not willing to see impact on a teammates job. The best part is the team.
great company
Risk Analyst (Current Employee), arizonaApril 2, 2015
Pros: great culture and benefits
Cons: reorg
During my time and the departments I have worked I can say it is a great place to work.

Work life balance. Great co-workers.
Productive and fun work place
Sr. Hadoop Consultant (Current Employee), San Jose, CAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Nil
Cons: Nil
-> Excellent place to work.

-> Learnt new updates.

-> Very good management.

-> Supportive co-workers.

-> Nothing found any hardest part in job.

-> Enjoyed every moment.
Break Time
Sr. Informatica Developer (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 30, 2015
Though we used to talk bit about our work I never felt as if I am doing work it was like group discussion and every one used to give their suggestion or guidance.
A great place to work until they laid me off
E2E Large Merchant Seller Risk Merchant (Former Employee), Scottsdale AZMarch 23, 2015
Pros: same as noted previously -same company
Cons: same as noted previously- same company
PayPal and eBay split was not good for me and the Risk Management Team in Scottsdale; despite our outstanding work and contributions to the company's loss reductions from risk and fraud- we were all let go. That episode notwithstanding the people, culture, atmosphere, work-life balance; the job itself were all outstanding.
An extremely strong business model hindered by corporate politics and complacency
Associate Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: work-life balance, nice people
Cons: complacency, executive churn, politics
It is a tribute to the strength of PayPal's business model that it is still growing at 20%+ growth rates quarter after quarter 16 years after being founded.

That being said, I would say that much of that growth occurs in spite of mismanagement brought on by executive churn, corporate politics, and a general sense of complacency across the firm that results in the company not being able to deliver on internal or external commitments.
Great Company
Merchant Optimization Engagement Lead (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMarch 17, 2015
Company was great to employees and provided excellent benefits. The best part of the job was that is was different and changing all the time. Never the same day twice.
A day in the life
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Hunt valley, mdMarch 16, 2015
PayPal is an intense place to work if you are not used to a call center. The call volume is high and there is barely any time to drink water for your throat.

I have learned to handle all types of customers. Some are very well mannered while others believed I was holding out on them.

Hardest part of the job is the type of job and the hours.
Relaxed workplace
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMarch 15, 2015
PayPal is an excellent place to start a career or coast into retirement. The work atmosphere is very relaxed. If there is a problem or an error one fixes it: no "finger pointing," no "blaming," no drama. Management is accessible and very helpful. The work is interesting.

The upper management tends to get sucked into every new "employee moral boosting" trend to hit the market. Before I left they adopted a "team meeting and Group Cheer." Which worked well for extroverts but the introverts were unimpressed. It would be fine if it was a short beginning of the day event, however with about 40 teams on a floor, the loud disruptive "Raw Raw" events lasted four hours every day.

Ironically if PayPal did not have the following problems they probably would not need employee moral boosting events.

Compensation tends to be low, the ability to advance is limited. The work structure limits the ability to "network." i.e. one may know of an interesting team, but it may be in another building where your ID badge lacks clearance to get in. "Production quotas" and "adherence to the work schedule" prevents one from stepping away from the desk to talk to managers in other areas.

New opportunities may not be open to current employees; e.g. when opening a branch office in another state, despite the announcing senior agent and management positions would be made available to current employees, all positions were filled by new hires; disincentives were slapped on anybody transferring ie; no wage increases, no promotions, no relocation reimbursement, two year "lock" before taking a promotion etc.

It was so bad that after three years of trying to "advancing up" I ended up "advancing out."
A fun place to work with strong and stable ethics.
Fraud Agent (Former Employee), Hunt Valley, MDMarch 11, 2015
Pros: monthly incentives, casual dress, football games, dedicated fun days, holiday party
Cons: extremely monotonous work & highly regulated work, deadlines
A typical day at PayPal consisted mostly of evaluating tons of data to isolate fraudulent patterns and transactions. I would spend most hours reviewing spreadsheets and relaying fraudulent information to management and police organizations. The hardest part of the job was the monotony of thousands and thousands of lines of data. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding a large fraud ring and stopping their operation cold by locking their pattern out of the system. I got along very well with both management and co-workers and it often felt like a family in our department.
Fun place to work with great culture and benefits
Merchant Onboarding Consultant (Former Employee), La Vista, NEMarch 11, 2015
PayPal is unique in the Payments Processing industry. The flexibility of its business model combined with it's product offerings make it very easy for companies to partner. PayPal allows casual dress in the office and encourages employee feedback to continually improve business processes.
Great overall company to work for.
Regulatory Compliance Analyst (Current Employee), ArizonaMarch 9, 2015
I was not a part of the Operations of PayPal, so I can only reply to PayPal in general. Very aware of the work-life balance.
This is a political company
UNIX System Administrator (Former Employee), San Jose, CaMarch 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible work, Fancy campus in SJ. friendly people
Cons: Self seeking culture. little long term focus.
In engineering and the other arms of the corporation it may be different, but my conversations with employees did not lead me to believe so. This company has a nepotism problem. It's who you know and how well you play politics that determines how things go. Now, they are competitive on salary and benefits, but you have to play the game to get along. Decisions at the mid level management were based on "What is best for my career" not "What is best for the company" I repeatedly saw this in the Operations side of the company.
Great Pay and Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), La Vista, NEMarch 6, 2015
Pros: great pay, benefits, and caffeteria
Cons: horrible management, stressful environment, not much room for advancement.
PayPal has a great starting pay of $13.00/hr and an amazing benefits package that starts day 1 of employment. However, the management there and the expectations for employee stats are horrible and unrealistic for the customer resolutions position. The managers there are not very helpful although they say that you can come to them for anything, but they never follow through with anything they say. The position in and of itself is extremely stressful and requires large amounts of patience and the ability to deal with very irate and often violent callers. Overall, I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Flexible and eager to teach new skills for self development
Collections Agent II (Current Employee), Chandler, AZMarch 3, 2015
Pros: 25c soda scheduled breaks
Cons: strict schedule
A typical day at Paypal consists of taking calls from customers with problems and applying creative thinking to solve the problems along with the knowledge to complete the requests. I have learned how to be more efficient managing time and how to conduct meetings with groups of 10 or more people. Management is very friendly even in the higher ends of management and most managers know you by name. The hardest part of the job is sitting for long periods of time.
The most ejoyable part is the enviroment you work in and the people you befriend.
The best job I ever had.
NORTH AMERICA RISK ANALYST (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great environment, very diverse, outstanding people.
Cons: lay offs.
I thoroughly enjoyed my job with PayPal. Our direct manager was a true star in her field, the days were long but the job was fun and our team was exceptional.

1 2 3 4 5

About PayPal

PayPal is the faster, safer way to send money, make an online payment, receive money or set up a merchant account.

PayPal Salaries