PBK Architects Employee Reviews

GREAT workplace
INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 11, 2017
Being a part of the PBK team was a true honor. I loved my position. I was originally just supposed to be a summer intern, however, my work ethic and commitment helped me go from intern to employee. The staff is extremely hardworking.
Pros
Vendor samples, lunch ins, lifelong friends!
Great Place to woke
Administrator Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Corporate type of job. Good place to work. Great experiences taken. I worked as an admin/project coordinator for the company. The admins do a lot for the company and their team and it was a great learning experience.
Productive team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 25, 2015
Met a lot of hard working, dedicated engineers, drafters and architects. Very diverse work environment and it taught me how to deal with others in a tense situation, while staying positive and friendly.
Not so much
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2015
Upper management micro manages employees. Company worries about appearance than how employees are treated in and outside of the office.
Pros
They can get great people in the door, but can't keep them
Cons
Too much work not enough people
Robots only!! Stay away all humans!!
Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2015
You will learn to work under stress, thrown under the bus by the upper management. When is the deadline you might ask, it is whatever the upper management promised the client in the meeting, in the end it needs to be presented by the upper management, so check the upper management for the font.
Designers are considered puppets to impress the upper management, those that choose not to be part of the show are simply let go. People are considered heroes for pulling all nighters. If you have a family stay away! Most designers live across the street as roommates and complete projects at odd hours, they treat the office like an architecture studio my teammate clocked in 94 hours one week (3 all nighters in a row!)
This place hires and fires haphazardly for ex: they hired 2 in February, laid off 3, hired 6 in March laid off 32, due to a project ending, while hiring 7 and told the latest employee that we are growing. If you windup joining the office ask around how long everyone has been there, you will find no one stay past 3 years. They select a few that tenure for the reputation of the firm. The clients are shown a "good time." While those 32 employees are being laid off the Design Director ran a personal errand in the company's car to avoid, "stressed" employees.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Short breaks, younger designers scape goats for upper management, unethical business practices, large workload with unreasonable deadlines, lack of job security
Faced paced fun work hard/play hard enviroment
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2015
I really enjoyed PBK because it was a great company culture. I assisted Executives, Architects and Engineers. I was supported by a great team and had great leadership.
Pros
Learned the Architectural Industry
Cons
Industry, ever changing
Nice place, closed minded management
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2014
Fine place to work. Be pleasant to management staff, once you find yourself on they're sour side, there's very little chance you'll ever cross back over.
Pros
Attractive office, interest in building employee morale
Cons
Somewhat clique-like atmosphere
Absolutely the worst place to work in Houston
Architect (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2014
Management is terrible. Nobody in management accepts responsibility for their own mistakes as they would rather throw anyone and everyone under the bus. It is extremely cut-throat. Run away as fast as you can.
Don't walk, RUN away from PBK
Mechanical designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2014
First, if you choose to accept employment at PBK, get EVERYTHING in writing. They will make promises they have no intention of keeping.
Second, employees are considered expendable and the general attitude is that the employee should be grateful to be working there.
Third, there have been numerous people start working there and leave within a few days (some not showing up the next day, in fact) due to the horrible treatment they received or witnessed.
Fourth, there is a severe lack of leadership skills at the levels where it is most important.
Fifth, expect to be bird-dogged. This should be a very professional organization but is run like every employee is an hourly blue-collar worker.
Sixth, many of the folks there who think it's great have never worked in a professional setting elsewhere.
Pros
None come to mind
Cons
See review above
Very flexible with very little micromanagement
Field Representative and Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2014
Aside from having to arrive at work at odd hours (sometimes 12:00 a.m., sometimes 2:00 a.m., but mostly 4:00 or 7:00 a.m) for concrete pours, a typical workday consisted of carrying around a half-sized set of architectural drawings/plans and fielding any questions regarding procedures, methods, inconsistencies, or know-how related to my experience working in the industry and with the architects. Basically, the architect's first line of defense. The go-to trouble-shooter. I would have to travel to several job sites a day, answering any questions I could. I hardly met my fellow representatives as we had our own projects to attend to.
Pros
No micromanagement, longevity
Cons
Traveling once fellow representatives were laid off, no advancement
Excellent philosophy on client service with great atmosphere!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2014
Excellent firm to work for with great opportunity for advancement!
Great Package but that is all
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Houston, txDecember 11, 2013
The initial offer I very inticing. All of the co-workers are amazing but the management of all levels are not understanding of using the vacation or sick time you are offered.
Pros
Bi-annual bonus gradually reducing
Cons
Long hrs., lack of appreciation, unrealistic expectations, high turnover
Love what I do
Technology Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 14, 2013
I love my job and what I do, but the environment is not so good.
Pros
Learn something new every day
Cons
Attitudes with fellow co-workers
Horrible place to work!
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2013
I worked here for about 6 months. During that time I rapidly got the sense that this was a very cut-throat environment.

Long story made short:

This firm will only use you. Work you had and then let you go as soon as the projects are done. They have the highest employee turn around rate I have ever witnessed.
Pros
they pay very well at the beginning.
Cons
work you super hard for awhile, then they lay you off.
It's a job...
Confidential (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 2, 2012
Employee morale is the lowest priority. They expect very long hours for long durations and virtually no compensation for the extra work. The general atmosphere is "employees are expendable". Management handles downturns poorly.
Pros
most are good to work with, decent office environment.
Cons
white collar sweatshop, non-family, mis-guided priorities
Long hours, Hard working rewards
Architectural Drafter & I.T (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2012
Long hours and hard work is expected with bonus rewards mid and year end.
a job
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2012
This company was my family and I thought they were my friends for over 12 years. It turned out that I was just an employee and not a friend. They laid me off for making more money but hired someone for less, which is not turning out so well. Well I guess you get what you pay for. Hopefully they will learn from theor mistakes.
Pros
you work with "some"good people.
Cons
they are not a family oriented place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PBK Architects. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9