Peabody Energy Employee Reviews

Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vermillion grove I'll.April 28, 2017
Peabody energy was a good place to work for. They made sure employees where well trained in there job and followed all safety policies and laws. Always had overtime if you wanted it
Good place to work till the good mangers retired
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  WyomingApril 21, 2017
Good place to work for 25 years,layoffs were tough, they lost years of experience.dedicated to work everyday, tough conditions, kept their equipment running so the profits could be made.one day they let a bunch of us go!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Young management- good old boys
Excellent Employer
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WY, St. Louis, MOt.March 16, 2017
Peabody Energy has been an exceptional employer. My work experience over a 27 year career in civil/construction engineer has provided me with a "hands on" education which I will be able to carry forward into my next career.

The hardest part of the job were all of the personal sacrifices which I had to make along my career journey. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see our mining clients satisfied with the work which I performed for them.
Great career in the corporate energy environment
Administrative Assistant & Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Wright, WYFebruary 6, 2017
Peabody is a wonderful company to work for. The benefits outstanding the pay and time off the best I've had. At NARM the employye/vendor count the same as a medium sized town and the fact of being a "number" and not looked upon as an individual had it's draw backs. Career advancement outstanding and witnessed move up the corporate ladder.
Pros
Insurance, vacation time, pay
Cons
Management was questionable with individuals
My review
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Wright, WYJanuary 30, 2017
I've enjoyed working for Peabody Energy just looking to relocate. It has been a fair company to work for trying to do the best it can through its troubled time.
Long days in the middle of nowhere
MSHA Certified Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYDecember 26, 2016
Great pay and benefits. Not a good job for people who like to think. If you like to drink coffee and do mindless work, this will be a great job!
Likes my job as electrician because I moved all over the mine instead of one place
Mine electrician (Former Employee) –  Freeburg, ILNovember 29, 2016
I had a good superviser and we work good together as one.
I did not like the fact that we were made to work swing shift. Two weeks of all three shifts. It was hard on the body and the family life.
Pros
Good pay and good workers
Cons
Swinging all three shifts
OK place to work, no security
Regional IT Onsite Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2016
Nothing to say about this company. People are Great but there are others who will do anything to hurt you (sorry to say). Glad to be out of there
Very productive, good place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYOctober 23, 2016
Its a very productive mine operation, bout 1200 employees,
It's a very safe open pit operations, the coal is roughly 250 feet below the surface two to three benches and then what we call a cast bench drilled 190 feet or so to the top of coal , not all areas are these depts they vary. I like my job I drill on the cast with the New prototype atlas copco viper 316 drill. I Love this drill.
Pros
Good pay and built up my vacation
Cons
Drilling coal is a dirty job its shared with others so it's not all one operator
Productive, Safe, Good Company to work For
Heavy Maintenance Shop Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kayenta, AZOctober 17, 2016
I've worked for Peabody Energy for over 35 years, as a Laborer in Heavy Maintenance, Heavy Equipment Operator in the Reclamation and pit, also Coal Preparation Plant Supervisor
Pros
Lots of Overtime work
Cons
Strict Safety
Fun
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WY NARMOctober 10, 2016
It was a good job. Learned a lot about operating different types of heavy equipment, made a lot of money. Started off with plenty of overtime opportunity.
Busy work environment with great co-workers
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, COSeptember 14, 2016
I enjoyed the variety of my job responsibilities and was able to work with intelligent people who have worked there for 20+ years. The hardest yet most enjoyable part of my job was learning database work and dealing with MSHA.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Moving the Longwall put a lot of stress on people I managed
Good pay and benifits, no life though.
Industrial Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYAugust 25, 2016
Rotating schedule is hard on family life. Work was ok. Management good use some work. Pay and benefits are good. Compensation for tools was good. They offered training which was good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life
It was a job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMAugust 19, 2016
This company was good to work for. Management was very nepotistic and didn't hide the fact that they used favortism towards certain employees on a daily basis.
Electrician I (Current Employee) –  IndianaAugust 9, 2016
Good place to work, some good people, some bad, overall very nice. Supported me and my family very well for several years. Owe a lot to them
If you love money and never want to spend time with your family it's the job for you.
Reliability Coordinator, Maintenance Supervisor, (Current Employee) –  Francisco, INAugust 2, 2016
A typical work day is pretty fast paced and non stop. I've learned a lot from my time with the company and became one of there best in Maintenance do to my hard work and the training they provided throughout the 14 years as a employee for Peabody Energy. You become pretty close to your co-workers and everybody was always willing to help another if needed to which was great. Honestly every part of my day is hard. Always troubleshooting problems, fixing machines, dealing with electrical issues. The most enjoyable part of my day was taking a shower after my shift was over because i knew i was going home to spend time with my family. The reason i'm going to leave is because of the wear and tear on my body. It's just time to move on.
Pros
Great Wage, Employee
Cons
No family time, hard work, Long hours
Mechanic/Welder -Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 15, 2016
A good place to work every day was a challenge with something new to learn . The days are long and hard but by the end of the day the job was done and done right. At peabody we work as a team
Good place for addvancement
Surface Miner (Former Employee) –  Wright, WYMay 21, 2016
Working underground did a lot of shoveling along belt lines , setting timbers and building cribs. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the deferent people
Pros
poeple
Cons
Condishons
It was a safe place to work !!!
Pit Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMay 19, 2016
We had excellent teamwork. We worked closely together operating heavy equipment in close proximity to each other. The most difficult part of the job was the night shifts.
Pros
We had good supervisors.
Cons
The night shifts were the most difficult.
Good employer negatively impacted by economic factors
Senior Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 12, 2016
Enjoyed working for Peabody but was a casualty of negative industry headwinds that required significant staff reductions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peabody Energy. Our community is ready to answer.