Peabody Energy Employee Reviews

Very productive, good place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYOctober 23, 2016
Its a very productive mine operation, bout 1200 employees,
It's a very safe open pit operations, the coal is roughly 250 feet below the surface two to three benches and then what we call a cast bench drilled 190 feet or so to the top of coal , not all areas are these depts they vary. I like my job I drill on the cast with the New prototype atlas copco viper 316 drill. I Love this drill.
Pros
Good pay and built up my vacation
Cons
Drilling coal is a dirty job its shared with others so it's not all one operator
Likes my job as electrician because I moved all over the mine instead of one place
Mine electrician (Former Employee) –  Freeburg, ILNovember 29, 2016
I had a good superviser and we work good together as one.
I did not like the fact that we were made to work swing shift. Two weeks of all three shifts. It was hard on the body and the family life.
Pros
Good pay and good workers
Cons
Swinging all three shifts
Busy work environment with great co-workers
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, COSeptember 14, 2016
I enjoyed the variety of my job responsibilities and was able to work with intelligent people who have worked there for 20+ years. The hardest yet most enjoyable part of my job was learning database work and dealing with MSHA.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Moving the Longwall put a lot of stress on people I managed
Productive, Safe, Good Company to work For
Heavy Maintenance Shop Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kayenta, AZOctober 17, 2016
I've worked for Peabody Energy for over 35 years, as a Laborer in Heavy Maintenance, Heavy Equipment Operator in the Reclamation and pit, also Coal Preparation Plant Supervisor
Pros
Lots of Overtime work
Cons
Strict Safety
If you love money and never want to spend time with your family it's the job for you.
Reliability Coordinator, Maintenance Supervisor, (Current Employee) –  Francisco, INAugust 2, 2016
A typical work day is pretty fast paced and non stop. I've learned a lot from my time with the company and became one of there best in Maintenance do to my hard work and the training they provided throughout the 14 years as a employee for Peabody Energy. You become pretty close to your co-workers and everybody was always willing to help another if needed to which was great. Honestly every part of my day is hard. Always troubleshooting problems, fixing machines, dealing with electrical issues. The most enjoyable part of my day was taking a shower after my shift was over because i knew i was going home to spend time with my family. The reason i'm going to leave is because of the wear and tear on my body. It's just time to move on.
Pros
Great Wage, Employee
Cons
No family time, hard work, Long hours
Long days in the middle of nowhere
MSHA Certified Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYDecember 26, 2016
Great pay and benefits. Not a good job for people who like to think. If you like to drink coffee and do mindless work, this will be a great job!
OK place to work, no security
Regional IT Onsite Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2016
Nothing to say about this company. People are Great but there are others who will do anything to hurt you (sorry to say). Glad to be out of there
Good pay and benifits, no life though.
Industrial Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYAugust 25, 2016
Rotating schedule is hard on family life. Work was ok. Management good use some work. Pay and benefits are good. Compensation for tools was good. They offered training which was good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life
Fun
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WY NARMOctober 10, 2016
It was a good job. Learned a lot about operating different types of heavy equipment, made a lot of money. Started off with plenty of overtime opportunity.
It was a job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMAugust 19, 2016
This company was good to work for. Management was very nepotistic and didn't hide the fact that they used favortism towards certain employees on a daily basis.

Want to know more about Peabody Energy?

Ask a question
Mechanic/Welder -Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 15, 2016
A good place to work every day was a challenge with something new to learn . The days are long and hard but by the end of the day the job was done and done right. At peabody we work as a team
It was a safe place to work !!!
Pit Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMay 19, 2016
We had excellent teamwork. We worked closely together operating heavy equipment in close proximity to each other. The most difficult part of the job was the night shifts.
Pros
We had good supervisors.
Cons
The night shifts were the most difficult.
Electrician I (Current Employee) –  IndianaAugust 9, 2016
Good place to work, some good people, some bad, overall very nice. Supported me and my family very well for several years. Owe a lot to them
Good Company with great talented people
Reliability Manager Americas (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 9, 2016
Hard working dedicated people made the job interesting. Job involved a substantial amount of travel. Peabody provides a lot of training and development opportunities.
Pros
Good paying jobs
Cons
long commute to work sites in some areas
Good place for addvancement
Surface Miner (Former Employee) –  Wright, WYMay 21, 2016
Working underground did a lot of shoveling along belt lines , setting timbers and building cribs. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the deferent people
Pros
poeple
Cons
Condishons
Hard working
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Francisco, INApril 30, 2016
Operating various underground mining equipment.
Inspecting and repairing equipment.
Working under extreme physical conditons and long hours.
Team oriented environment.
Pros
Brotherhood between employees
Cons
not many breaks
The best place to work
Mine Clerk, Warehouse Clerk - Equality, Illinois (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 11, 2016
In all of my working career, this has been the best place to work for. Our team was a family and treated each other as such. All performed with the utmost amount of professionalism and skill. Each department was managed by a very competent manager who put the safety of all employees first.
Pros
A family atmosphere.
Cons
Good employer negatively impacted by economic factors
Senior Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 12, 2016
Enjoyed working for Peabody but was a casualty of negative industry headwinds that required significant staff reductions.
Productive, educational learning opportunities
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 9, 2016
Peabody always provided training opportunities for both the equipment and/or to improve job skills. I enjoyed working with others teaching them how to work safely and effectively while doing their job. Hardest part of the job was being able to eat lunch within a reasonable time while working a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Working shift work
Equipment Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Wright, WYMarch 30, 2016
I have really enjoyed working for this company. One of the best companies I have worked for in a very long time. I have had some of the best and hard working co workers along with very attentive bosses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peabody Energy. Our community is ready to answer.