Peabody Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Hard working
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Francisco, INApril 30, 2016
Operating various underground mining equipment.
Inspecting and repairing equipment.
Working under extreme physical conditons and long hours.
Team oriented environment.
Pros
Brotherhood between employees
Cons
not many breaks
Good crew.
Lead Man - Crew 4 (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 19, 2016
I enjoyed my job and the guys I worked with.
Management could improve in some areas.
The hardest part was working nights.
Good Company with great talented people
Reliability Manager Americas (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 9, 2016
Hard working dedicated people made the job interesting. Job involved a substantial amount of travel. Peabody provides a lot of training and development opportunities.
Pros
Good paying jobs
Cons
long commute to work sites in some areas
Excellent people with ability to overcome issues and finish the task
Sr. Drill and Blast/Mine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMarch 31, 2016
Typical day starts at 4:30 AM with two pots of coffee made and looking at equipment positions from the previous day. Determining the amount moved and looking ahead to address the morning shift change.
The work place is highly dynamic and I was able to communicate and collaborate to achieve results. I learned that with "listening without the intent to reply" I fully understood the question, restrictions in place, and planned a action to resolve whatever hurdle we faced.
I respected the management to a large extent. I realize at times their responsibilities proved to be a daunting task. I learned through observation how to handle conflict and pushback to to build cooperation and get the desired result.
My coworkers were the best I could have had. However I feel that way everywhere I have worked. Great co-workers will pick up the ball when it gets dropped as would I when one of them did the same thing. That didn't happen but once in awhile however, it was a great asset to know when the chips were down we had each others back.
The hardest part of the job was trying to cover the entire mine through the workday. The mine was immense, as it is be the largest coal mine in the world. There were times where one person couldn't reach all the places one would have to go. There were times I would spend 12 to 14 hours just to get 3/4 of everything done.
The most enjoyable part was when you saw completion of a shot, dug bench, or finished coal pit and then the process starts all over again. At the end of my tenure there, I looked at the maps of where things started and ended and what
  more... an amazing ride it was.  less
Pros
People
Cons
the ride out
Equipment Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Wright, WYMarch 30, 2016
I have really enjoyed working for this company. One of the best companies I have worked for in a very long time. I have had some of the best and hard working co workers along with very attentive bosses.
Amazing Job Culture
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 29, 2016
Really loved working here, amazing management and co-workers, laid back environment, learned alot. Flexible work hours. Very high team morale.
No Comment
Operator (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, INMarch 17, 2016
To many upper management positions and a major lack of communication between them but all and all the quality and comradery of the hourly employees more then make up for it
The best place to work
Mine Clerk, Warehouse Clerk - Equality, Illinois (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 11, 2016
In all of my working career, this has been the best place to work for. Our team was a family and treated each other as such. All performed with the utmost amount of professionalism and skill. Each department was managed by a very competent manager who put the safety of all employees first.
Pros
A family atmosphere.
Mining Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYFebruary 8, 2016
Fun and engaging work environment. Cant say enough about the people who work for the company. Management is caring for the individual and is interested in helping them succeed.
Close to home
Welder/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Equality, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Inspected equipment during lineup. Maintained equipment and make repairs when needed. Good work environment, got along good with co-workers and supervisors.
Industry is Troubling
Lead Regional Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 25, 2016
Unfortunately, Peabody is caught in a currently troubled industry and is suffering for it. There continues to be good compensation for employees which is important for keeping the loyal workforce.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Too much work and not enough people
Decent work environment.
Senior Accounts Payable Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2016
Typical office environment.
Good employee morale, plenty of office activities.
Expensive to park downtown, expensive lunch, nothing but restaurants around.
Good Work Environment
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 14, 2016
People showed genuine concern for others and the working conditions! Team work, family and health were important factors to management.
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
Travel Distance to Work
Productive, educational learning opportunities
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 9, 2016
Peabody always provided training opportunities for both the equipment and/or to improve job skills. I enjoyed working with others teaching them how to work safely and effectively while doing their job. Hardest part of the job was being able to eat lunch within a reasonable time while working a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Working shift work
good pay and benefits
Operator (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, INSeptember 2, 2015
I worked a 12 hour shift, five to six days a week. I got 2 vacations a year with the ability to earn extra paid days off. We didn't have sick days. The bosses in the pit were great to work with. The job was hard and stressful, but at the end of the day I provided for my family.
Cons
No sick time ot pay!
Not a bad company if you like smoke and mirrors.
Ug miner (Current Employee) –  Francisco indianaAugust 11, 2015
Benefits and pay are among the best in area. The management on the other hand probably worst in class. Since the closing of a mine to the north this mine has been taken over with the same philosophy as the mine that closed. These boses are production driven with safety second and compliance a distant third. Cart in front of horse backwards thinking. Worry about msha after a citaion has been written or is on property.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Coal not so popular, bad attitudes, things aren't always what they appear laws broken every minute of the day
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St. LouisAugust 11, 2015
Been a good place to work, co-workers are all pretty good an knowledgeable. Management could promote more from the inside then outsourcing.
Great company culture
SAP Security Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 11, 2015
I have worked with Peabody Energy for more than 10 years. Working with exceptional minds on a diversity of projects was an invaluable experience. Good work life balance and excellent work environment and company culture
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2015
Enjoyed working with Peabody for 20 years. Great people, lots of job challenges and opportunities to advance from a Senior Administrative Assistant in the IT group and ending my career in the Office of the CEO as Executive Assistant.

Accepted an early retirement package and looking for a part time job.
Pros
Fitness Center, great people
Cons
Some very long hours for special projects.
Good company but upper management needs change of perspective
Contract Management Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2015
Great company with good benefits but hasn't adapted to changing commodity prices and therefore not positioned well to other energy sources becoming more competitive.