Peabody Energy Employee Reviews

Not a bad company if you like smoke and mirrors.
Ug miner (Current Employee) –  Francisco indianaAugust 11, 2015
Benefits and pay are among the best in area. The management on the other hand probably worst in class. Since the closing of a mine to the north this mine has been taken over with the same philosophy as the mine that closed. These boses are production driven with safety second and compliance a distant third. Cart in front of horse backwards thinking. Worry about msha after a citaion has been written or is on property.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Coal not so popular, bad attitudes, things aren't always what they appear laws broken every minute of the day
I have really enjoyed working with the Accounts Payable Department and my co-workers.
Mail & Scanning Clerk, Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 10, 2014
Peabody offered a voluntary separation package this year for those who where eligible and I fell into that category. I found Peabody a great place to work and I had a very good supervisor with good benefits. I have learned a great deal about the coal industry during my employment with Peabody. I am ready to start the next chapter in my life and hopefully, that will be with your organization.
Good paying job with great benefits
Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYOctober 30, 2012
-Oversee the operations of the preparation plant: loading trains, basic plant maintenance, operating the control room which oversees the computer systems for train processing and the actual control of plant systems
-learned the value of hard work and how to work in a high-stress environment with no compromise in safety standards.
-the hardest part was the rotating 12-hour shifts
-the most enjoyable part was the hard physical work
Pros
good pay, good time off
Cons
the rotatting 12hour shifts
good pay and benefits
Operator (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, INSeptember 2, 2015
I worked a 12 hour shift, five to six days a week. I got 2 vacations a year with the ability to earn extra paid days off. We didn't have sick days. The bosses in the pit were great to work with. The job was hard and stressful, but at the end of the day I provided for my family.
Cons
No sick time ot pay!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2015
Enjoyed working with Peabody for 20 years. Great people, lots of job challenges and opportunities to advance from a Senior Administrative Assistant in the IT group and ending my career in the Office of the CEO as Executive Assistant.

Accepted an early retirement package and looking for a part time job.
Pros
Fitness Center, great people
Cons
Some very long hours for special projects.
good
SAP Mobility Architect/Developer (Current Employee) –  st louisJanuary 7, 2015
i have a good work life balance in peabody energy
the management is helpful.I have helping co workers however growth chances are very limited and there is little to learn.

i enjoy meeting the buisness users and understanding the way they work and the way i can help them to make their jobs easier through the development of mobile applications
Productive, educational learning opportunities
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 9, 2016
Peabody always provided training opportunities for both the equipment and/or to improve job skills. I enjoyed working with others teaching them how to work safely and effectively while doing their job. Hardest part of the job was being able to eat lunch within a reasonable time while working a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Working shift work
Great place to work for. Great people to work with. World class safety.
Temporary Production Tech (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 30, 2012
I really liked working for Peabody, great staff, very knowlegable and helpful. Their approach to safety is great! They put safety first and foremost at work and at home. Would like to have opportunity to work for the company again.
Pros
great hours, good equipment, nice incentive bonuses
Cons
being a temp
Productive and Safe Coal Mine
Underground Continuous Miner Operator (Current Employee) –  Francisco, INOctober 12, 2014
You will work a lot of Saturdays, 6 day weeks, in order to be productive.They have a big focus on safety. All the main rules come down from an educated corporate level instead of actual coal miners.
Pros
safe mine
Cons
lots of saturdays
Liked my job for 10 years until it switched to swing shift
Operator/Driller/Shooter (Current Employee) –  Equality, ILMay 14, 2015
The only reason for change is due to the swing shift rotation which does not allow me to see my family and allows for more safety concerns with the employees rotating day and night shifts.
Industry is Troubling
Lead Regional Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 25, 2016
Unfortunately, Peabody is caught in a currently troubled industry and is suffering for it. There continues to be good compensation for employees which is important for keeping the loyal workforce.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Too much work and not enough people
Great company culture
SAP Security Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 11, 2015
I have worked with Peabody Energy for more than 10 years. Working with exceptional minds on a diversity of projects was an invaluable experience. Good work life balance and excellent work environment and company culture
Great Company , Good Culture, Enjoy Work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New South WalesApril 19, 2014
Peabody Energy is a great place to work.
It has a go ahead attitude and also allows you to express your knowledge.
Very high safety culture.
Hard working team.
Pros
safe, good work ethic, great people
Decent place to work.
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 27, 2013
Average workplace. Co-workers are mostly nice. Undergoing cost cutting and struggling market; so morale is low right now. Very politically biased.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
extremely limited diversity in upper management
dont look out for employess
Technical Asset Management Specialist (AMS) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 28, 2012
money is the bottom line as always in the corp world. Employees are not the number one priority.
Pros
some of the people are amazing to work with
Cons
management
Great company going through a hard time
Landman Intern (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYNovember 8, 2014
I really enjoyed the people I worked with but its hard to be in the coal industry right now so moral was low.
Pros
great hours
Cons
depressing environment
Good company but upper management needs change of perspective
Contract Management Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2015
Great company with good benefits but hasn't adapted to changing commodity prices and therefore not positioned well to other energy sources becoming more competitive.
A nice place to work
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMAugust 8, 2012
I liked my boss and my coworkers. It was easy to divide my time between the field and the office. Very good pay.
Pros
able to work independently, received training
Safetyin work place
DIAGNOSTIC MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Hayden ColoradoMarch 6, 2013
Best place I ever worked,good managers ,great benifits,super pay. Gave me an assinment and I completed it.Lots of chalenges.
Pros
free fuel to get to work
Good Work Environment
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 14, 2016
People showed genuine concern for others and the working conditions! Team work, family and health were important factors to management.
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
Travel Distance to Work