Peabody Essex Museum

Peabody Essex Museum Employer Reviews

Culturally stimulating atmosphere to work in
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee), Salem, MASeptember 13, 2013
Pros: access to world class art and culture
Cons: little room for promotion
My job included interacting with museum guests in person, on the phone and via email. I enjoyed this aspect of the job and team building with my co-workers. It was a treat to work inside this stunningly beautiful world class museum. It was a stimulating challenge to learn about the many exhibits and cultural diversity of The PEM and to share this knowledge – more... with the guests.
However the museum doesn't often promote from with in the company. They prefer to find new talent out side of the museum.
I really value the work I did and time spent at The PEM. – less
Amazing place to work in
Costumer service representative (Former Employee), Salem, MAMay 23, 2013
I absolutely love everything amazing management and great place to be in nice people and every day was a great experience.
Productive workplace and fun place to work
Intern (Former Employee), Salem, MAMay 5, 2013
Pros: once in a lifetime experience, brought light to a local community.
Cons: it was an internship and it only lasted a year
Always a pleasure to come in and work with everyone on the project. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new personalities everyday and being able to hear their stories. Also I was picked to go to a leadership conference with another student in Anchorage, Alaska for four days and met a myriad of personalities and cultures out there.
Beautiful museum
Director of Creative Services (Former Employee), Salem, MADecember 17, 2012
Pros: opportunity to do high quality work
Cons: see review
Power is all concentrated at the top. I had great people working for me in my department. Lots of responsibility, not as much authority.
Benefits are excellent, but the compensation no where matches the cost of living, or the amount of work one is asked to produce.
Guest Services (Current Employee), Salem, MAOctober 15, 2012
Pros: environment, vacation time, pension, and health/dental insurance
Cons: monetary compensation, management, staff morale
There is no growth potential in the museum, and the museum has a strong tendency to hire from outside, rather than encouraging growth from within. Although the atmosphere is unique and special, where one can roam the galleries for a break from the computer screen, the management leaves much less to be desired. In addition, the museum operates more along – more... the lines of a corporate caste system, which unfortunately dampens the morale of its workers, especially those below management. – less
Interesting and fun
Guest Services Lead (Former Employee), Salem, MAApril 7, 2012
Pros: encouragement to learn and explore new exhibits, meeting new people
Cons: discouragement to express opinions and ideas, long periods of extreme boredom
The museum can be a fun, exciting place to work, with many different experiences each day. I met people from many different cultures and learned a lot about diversity and human relations.

About Peabody Essex Museum

The recently transformed Peabody Essex Museum presents art and culture from New England and around the world. The museum's collections – Read more