Peabody Essex Museum Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Creative Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJune 26, 2015
As a creative services intern, I was able to see how the museum work in many departments. Would absolutely recommend working here.
Well managed
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAJune 16, 2015
Of all the places I've worked at, they are always well organized and managed effectively. The HR department really knows what they are doing and makes sure that you are getting everything you need in terms of your rights and benefits.
Pros
beautiful place to work
Cons
limited hours (hired on as part time only)
Gorgeous place, gorgeous people
Web & New Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 18, 2014
I loved working at PEM. I wish I still did. I took on this unpaid internship to try and learn more about web design, and it was a bit tough for me at first, but the people I was working with were fantastic and very willing to help me out.
Culturally stimulating atmosphere to work in
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, MASeptember 13, 2013
My job included interacting with museum guests in person, on the phone and via email. I enjoyed this aspect of the job and team building with my co-workers. It was a treat to work inside this stunningly beautiful world class museum. It was a stimulating challenge to learn about the many exhibits and cultural diversity of The PEM and to share this knowledge with the guests.
However the museum doesn't often promote from with in the company. They prefer to find new talent out side of the museum.
I really value the work I did and time spent at The PEM.
Pros
access to world class art and culture
Cons
little room for promotion
Amazing place to work in
Costumer service representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 23, 2013
I absolutely love everything amazing management and great place to be in nice people and every day was a great experience.
Productive workplace and fun place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 5, 2013
Always a pleasure to come in and work with everyone on the project. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new personalities everyday and being able to hear their stories. Also I was picked to go to a leadership conference with another student in Anchorage, Alaska for four days and met a myriad of personalities and cultures out there.
Pros
once in a lifetime experience, brought light to a local community.
Cons
it was an internship and it only lasted a year
Beautiful museum
Director of Creative Services (Former Employee) –  Salem, MADecember 17, 2012
Power is all concentrated at the top. I had great people working for me in my department. Lots of responsibility, not as much authority.
Pros
opportunity to do high quality work
Cons
see review
Benefits are excellent, but the compensation no where matches the cost of living, or the amount of work one is asked to produce.
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAOctober 15, 2012
There is no growth potential in the museum, and the museum has a strong tendency to hire from outside, rather than encouraging growth from within. Although the atmosphere is unique and special, where one can roam the galleries for a break from the computer screen, the management leaves much less to be desired. In addition, the museum operates more along the lines of a corporate caste system, which unfortunately dampens the morale of its workers, especially those below management.
Pros
environment, vacation time, pension, and health/dental insurance
Cons
monetary compensation, management, staff morale
Interesting and fun
Guest Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 7, 2012
The museum can be a fun, exciting place to work, with many different experiences each day. I met people from many different cultures and learned a lot about diversity and human relations.
Pros
encouragement to learn and explore new exhibits, meeting new people
Cons
discouragement to express opinions and ideas, long periods of extreme boredom

4.3