Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Life Changing Experience
Business, Youth, and Community Development Agent (Former Employee) –  MoroccoOctober 30, 2016
I served in Morocco for 27 months, this included 11 weeks of cross cultural training and intensive language training.

This truly was a life changing experience.

More information can be provided if inquired.
Met lots of great people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good training. Great language skills training. Welcoming, organized and had a sincere want to make the world a better place.
Great organization
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Typical day can be whatever you want it to be.
I learned about all global opportunities available on each continent for Peace Corps Volunteers.
My co-workers were all RPCVs so it was awesome to share stories and feel like I fit in somewhere, right after service.
Productive and self-fulling place to work
SECONDARY EDUCATION ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  MarshallMay 13, 2016
Working with country national counter parts and improving the organization has been an educational experience. One is able to learn how to work with people in a different cultural setting and gain life changing skills that can't be compared to any other.
The hardest job you'll ever love.
English Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  The Republic of GeorgiaMay 9, 2016
An amazing opportunity for growth and developing skills. I had a wonderful experience, learning so much about myself and another culture and country. At times very difficult, learning a new language and being immersed in a place so different. But, overall, such am amazing and beautiful experience.
Pros
Ability to grow, experience new things, a new country and culture
Cons
Difficult placements, locations are far from home
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2016
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad working as a public health educator and promoter in a small, rural Peruvian town.
team environment
Teaching English leadership volunteer (Current Employee) –  La chorrera, PanamaMarch 23, 2016
I would love to work with an ambitious group of co-workers. Fun and friendly environment. I want a job that will allow me to move up and grow as a person. Also a job that has the potential to travel internationally
Pros
good pay, health care, opportunities to grow
Cons
long hours, sitting all day
Hardest job I've ever loved
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dominican RepublicDecember 21, 2015
The Peace Corps experience is a particularly difficult job to explain as so many small things are involved within my daily life. Like so many other developmental agencies, Peace Corps' main goal is to aid communities in different aspects of development; business, youth, health, and education. But the main difference that makes Peace Corps so unique is that volunteers are placed alone within their communities to work and live for a full 24 months; developing trust, relationships, and not simply providing materials, but working together to learn. A typical day for me consists of collecting water, interacting with neighbors and local kids, meetings with my youth groups, grant writing (depending on the day), maybe squashing a few tarantulas, etc but the thing I love most about Peace Corps is the fact there is no typical day. That being said, Peace Corps is without a doubt that hardest job or experience I have ever had. Living in extreme poverty, learning a new language, dealing with machismo, trying to teach people who don't want to be taught, simply being alone, etc are among the biggest challenges I face daily but I can notice a viable difference in the person who I have become.
Pros
Becoming fluent in Spanish
Cons
Tarantulas
Great Experience
Community Health Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  KoumbidiaNovember 30, 2015
Peace Corps has been an invaluable development personally and professionally. This position provided hands-on and practice field experience while also making valuable impacts through grassroots and localist activist programming.
Unique and invaluable experience
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at work is unusual in the Peace Corps because your everyday life is your work. Part of Peace Corps' mission is to demonstrate US culture to persons of other nations, and vice versa. Therefore, every interaction was supposed to be reflect this in a positive light. I learned that there are always alternative means of accomplishing things; rarely is there a "right" way. I learned how to manage people and groups in a diverse setting, in another language. My co-workers consisted of other Dominicans as well as Peace Corps volunteers. It was normally a very supportive network. The hardest part was living your job, with no separation between the two. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with individuals who were so diverse.
Pros
Great way to learn a new language
Cons
Live your job
Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
PeaceCorps
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  4-H Saint maryAugust 10, 2015
Peace Corps was an amazing experience. It wasn't at all easy, always challenging and sometimes frustrating but at the end of the day, you appreciated the opportunity and felt that you have made some difference.
Pros
Living in a different culture
Cons
Working with Governmental Organizations
Richly rewarding experience, both professionally and personally.
Adolescent Health Education Advisor in St. Lucia (Former Employee) –  Dennery Hospital, St. LuciaJuly 17, 2015
Learning to navigate daily life professionally and personally in a foreign culture and in a language other than one's primary language is very challenging and provides a new set of skills which can be generalized to any future experiences.
Pros
Learning a new language and living immersed in a new culture.
Cons
Living totally removed family and friends, and from all that is familiar caries with it a degree of stress wnhich is constant.
work all over the world learning new skills and interacting with new peoples,cultures, religions.
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Gambia, West fricaJuly 6, 2015
Depending on which country you work in, and where you work, the roles and responsibilities vary greatly. However, if you are open, goal oriented, hardworking and flexible, you will have a good experience. You will learn about a new culture, and all the aspects of working in it. You will also have the opportunity to learn some hard and soft skills, and practice them in some of the most challenging yet interesting settings possible. Other co-workers become your friends and ultimately, your family as you share experiences, advice and skills that are crucial t your success. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely getting your use your skills, education and expertise in the most creative way possible in order to solve local problems.
Pros
organizational support, committed collegues, healtcare, wonderful work experince, flexibility in work time and schedule
Teaching English
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 22, 2015
I was immersed in a community and lived with a host family worked with students and teachers. It was an incredible oppurtunity and it was like working 24 hours a day, learned about the people in my community and was able to use my skills to make lesson plans that pushed my student to learn english.
engaging, productive environment
Project Manager/Security Controller Assessor (SCA) (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.May 28, 2015
A typical work day includes, reviewing of current projects, conduct assessment of NIST documentations (800-53, 800-53A, 800-37, etc) report to management of status of current projects.
Pros
Ability to work with others
Cons
not enough time to complete task in a day
Life-Changing Experience
Community Development Project Associate (Former Employee) –  El SalvadorMay 8, 2015
Peace Corps is a great opportunity for young professionals to gain a new perspective, develop relevant job skills and affect change on a grassroots level.
Exciting Place with Lots of Food
Office of Health Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
Typically, I'd get to work by 9 and leave by 4. They have an incredible work/life balance and allow you to have a life outside of the job.
Peace Corps takes care of their own
Regional Recruiter and Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2015
Peace Corps is a great place to grow and thrive professionally. They treat all employees with respect and work to create a healthy professional environment.
Continuous progress within the organization
English Literacy Teacher (Former Employee) –  Western SamoaMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of teaching English Literacy in a rural school on the island of Western Samoa. We were required to undergo 2 months of intensive training before we were sent out into the schools. I have learned a significant amount in classroom management, structured curriculum, and assessment of students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a balance in the methods of teaching that I learned in school, and the ways that Samoans have been teaching/taught their entire lives. It was a humbling experience and I would not trade it for the world.
Pros
The opportunity to live on a remote island and improve upon my professionalism.
Cons
Difference in teaching strategies, difference in disciplinary system, time management

4.6