Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

Long hours/ Work/Life Balance
DIRECTOR OF MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS (Current Employee), InternationalDecember 7, 2014
Pros: international travel
Cons: long hours, low pay
If you looking for long hours, no staff recognition of work, and low pay then this is the agency for you.
An amazing experience everyone should try
Trainee-Sierra Leone (Former Employee), Sierra LeoneNovember 11, 2014
Peace Corps changed my life. Every day was an adventure. Experiencing a different culture by living with a host family and teaching English to the children of that country was an amazing and sobering experience.
Great experience
Food Securirty Extension Agent (Former Employee), TogoOctober 15, 2014
Everyone who wants to travel and do true good in the world, Peace Corps is the way.
hardest job you will ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Concepcion, ParaguayOctober 14, 2014
Pros: personally rewarding; learn foreign language; experience life
Best experience of my life. Challenging but incredibly rewarding.
Federal Government
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2014
I worked with the supervisor as an administrative assistant for three months. With my knowledege and coursework that I have contributed to the federal government, it gave me insight of what the different point of view with my collegaue, and we discussed the different ideas regarding deaf accessability, frequent meetings, I managed scheduled for my boss – more... and other staff in the office. I published the newsletter regarding issues with diversity and inclusion at government. I had also worked with other private and federal sectors in the past. As an adminitrative assistant, it is always challenege, but it is fun to learn new things. I had only interned, so there were not much regarding pros and cons. – less
Community Health Advisor
Community Health Facilitator (Former Employee), Ghana West AfricaSeptember 14, 2014
I mobilized communities to carry out community health assessment in water, sanitation and malaria.
Excellent Experience
Community Economic Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Dominican RepublicAugust 13, 2014
In the Peace Corps, you can be the change that you want to see in the world.
Truly a life-long achievement.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Mampong, Ghana, West AfricaJuly 29, 2014
The Peace Corps gave me the tools to succeed at an international level. I have grown so much through the opportunity that the Peace Corps has given me. My skills in communications were realized and my talents were able to be used with remarkable results on the host country nationals. I will always remember the lives that I have touched and the people – more... of Africa that have supported me and gave me support on my future going forward. – less
This has been an amazing experience.
Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Current Employee), Togue, KedougouJuly 18, 2014
Through speaking Fula (Pulaar), I work with Senegalese locals in my small community to improve agricultural techniques as well as implement other projects that would benefit those around me. These projects fall into sectors including agriculture, agroforestry, health, and community and economic development.
Cultural Experience of a Lifetime
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ghana, West AfricaJune 25, 2014
Pros: the experience of a lifetime
Cons: heat, humidity, and mosquitos
The Peace Corps was really the toughest job that I have ever loved. It was a wonderful experience. My job consisted of cultural exchange. Teaching at schools and community meetings about health and hygeine practices.

I learned new languages and many other skills related to being in a foreign country.

My fellow volunteers were great and supportive.

The – more... hardest part of the job was the intense heat and humidity of living in a West African Country.

I enjoyed every part of the job. – less
International Development Experience
Project Lead for English Teaching Program (Former Employee), El Cortezo de Nata, PanamaJune 24, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, living in a new culture, working to create positive change
Cons: slower pace of life interfered with work at times.
In the Peace Corps I worked with two different school in developing successful teaching methodologies while also collaborating with teachers in sucessful curriculum development. I also co-taught classes during my work at the schools for two years. I managed the progression of three different teachers. Outside of the school I created and facilitated – more... several youth-group educational and engaging seminars on social development.

While living abroad and working internationally for two years was difficult at times I greatly enjoyed meeting new people, having the opportunity to develop positive change, living in a new culture while being able to practice my Spanish, and developing life long friendships with community members. – less
The toughest job you'll ever love
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee), PanamaMay 4, 2014
I lived and worked in an indigenous village without electricity in rural Panama for two years. My primary project was teaching English but much of my work involved working with locals to find and address their pressing needs. With this, I was able to write a grant and help fund a solar panel project, work to improve cook stoves, youth development, gardening, – more... among other projects. The Peace Corps is not so much a job as an experience where you are daily challenged and pushed to do your best and to look back and see the difference that you made in others' lives. – less
Challenging and rewarding life experience and skill development
English Teacher (Former Employee), PanamaMarch 24, 2014
My job as a Teaching English Volunteer consisted of working alongside teachers from K-12, holding seminars and workshops to develop new methods and skills. Additionally, I created an After-School Program to improve students study skills, motivate them to do well in school, develop life skills, and design personal goals.

I learned many things during – more... my two year service, but the most important is that there is always someone who can benefit from your support and help, but you will always come out of the experience having learned more than you imagined about yourself and about the world.

As a volunteer, I got the opportunity to be my own boss and create my own schedule. I divided my time between two different local schools and focused on teachers that were dedicated to self improvement and had a true educator's passion. These educators were in turn, my co-workers. We were able to collaborate effectively and work well as a team. In certain situations, I would join forces with other nearby volunteers to collaborate on large projects.

The hardest part of my job was a lack of motivation on the part of my school. Education in my site was undervalued, therefore motivation was an issue for the teachers, as well as my students. My task was to motivate and empower teachers and students so they would gain the confidence to work harder. This was also the most enjoyable part of my job because I could see the progress and the self-realization of my community counterparts. – less
A day in the life for a Peace Corps Volunteer
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee), Dominican RepublicMarch 11, 2014
As a Volunteer you are on the job 24/7. You live in the community you are serving and also work within that community. I had several classes going and a few extra curricular programs running in my community. Early in the day, I would have a "Brilliant Girls" group, where we would showcase talents, engage in discussions about healthy decision making, – more... draw, color, and have a good time. Then I would have my Women's Healthy Homes group. In this class we discussed everything from nutrition to pap smears; from methods to purify water to sexually transmitted disease. I also ran a weight loss group with these women. Then I would have my youth group meeting. I taught high schoolers' about sexual education, healthy decision making, and other related topics. Each lesson had a formal outline, but we were encouraged to change our teaching hab its to those that would best benefit those attending the classes. Each class lasted from 1-2 hours, and it took about 8 hours of work for each lesson plan. Since we did not have electricity, I would draw out the plans by hand.I also lead kids on river trips to discuss how we can keep our rivers clean and safe to swim in.

I learned so much that it is hard to just pinpoint one part. I learned patience is key to the process, and I carry that with that with me today. I also learned several different teaching methods/styles. I was self managed while out in the field, but monthly reports were given to my supervisor, as well as visits from him and other higher ranking volunteers during my sessions.

My Peace Corps Co-Workers were amazing and inspiring. My Dominican Co-Workers were dedicated to the betterment of the village.
At times it would be difficult to settle down a group of adults/teens/children; however, from my previous teaching experience, including my TEFL courses, I have learned methods that are fun and non-intrusive to bring the group back to attention.

I love my job because I worked with a variety of age groups. I could se genuine interest and progress with my students. – less
Learned skills beyond my expectations.
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), Jiang You, ChinaFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: live and work in another culture.
Cons: china was very polluted.
The Peace Corps states, "The toughest job you'll ever love." That is so true. I was a TEFL teacher but saw so many other needs in the community. I started a women's group. I participated with my students and others in Leadership workshops for women. I was a career counselor for my students. I love living and working with other cultures. The Peace Corps – more... gives an individual an opportunity to truly immerse in another culture. – less
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee), Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: the appreciation and love of others
Cons: the weather and insects
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. – more... I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work. – less
The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love
Education Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: healthcare is 100% across the board, doctors were amazing, training team is amazing
Cons: the living stipend was barely enough to live
Every day was different. I would go to school and co-teach students with a local counterpart. It was a challenge because most of the locals are not motivated and you have to help them find their inspirations, which is also very rewarding. Management was very fair and let volunteers be autonomous with support when needed. The other volunteers are not – more... hippies like a lot of people think. Most are all there to figure out their place in the world. The groups of volunteers are diverse from new grads to in their 70s. The hardest part was not fitting into the local culture and not being able to express who I was. The most rewarding comes after your service when you get to see those whose lives you touched achieving their dreams. – less
Intern
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2013
Working at Peace Corps headquater office in DC is a great expereince, and I have also learned how to work with staff.
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee), Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
Pros: great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons: my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood – more... stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day. – less
Volunteering
Community and Organizational Development Adviser (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 8, 2013
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: out ofus for 2 years
Great adventure , but hard work. Work is very rewarding. It is volunteer work, so not much pay.

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more