Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Interesting and meaningful work
Peace Corp (Former Employee) –  ChengduMay 27, 2017
Working in China as a PCV is a meaningful experience. I lived in a local community and integrate. I worked from home mostly and taught classes at Uni.
Pros
Home office. Lived on campus. Walking commute
Cons
Lived on campus. Crowded places
Great experience
Secondary Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  DzhankoyMay 19, 2017
There is no typical Peace Corps experience. Mine was perhaps the best experience of my life thus far. The people and culture is amazing. The training was fantastic!
Difficult to adjust living outside the U.S.
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2017
You worked 24/7 in a community you were placed. You learn a new culture and a new language. The hardest part of the job is not being able to communicate with other volunteers, friends and family.
Pros
Great life experience
Cons
You are secluded
Best mistake/ worst good decision I ever made
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Guyana, South AmericaMay 4, 2017
Being a Peace Corps volunteer requires one to design their own project with in a community. This job can be a difficult one at time. a Volunteer is called on to acclimate to a new environment and culture and to try to meet the needs of that community with out forcing your agenda on your community.
There are days that you see the work you do and its impact, days you realize you may never see the impact you have, and days you doubt there will be any impact at all.
Pros
travel, new experiences, impactful work
Cons
emotionally taxing
Challenging and Rewarding
Peer Support Network Member (Current Employee) –  IndonesiaApril 30, 2017
Peace Corps Indonesia has been one the most challenging jobs I have done. Being a volunteer is a 24-hour a day, 7-day a week job. I would suggest reading the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations and making sure that you can commit to them for 27 months.
Mismanagement and inflated advancement
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2017
People are promoted based upon personal preference and not professional skill. Culture of conflict aversion. Do not question your colleagues. They want no conflict. Very siloed.
"Toughest job you'll ever love" is a lie.
English Language Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Taoa, Vava'uApril 23, 2017
Maybe if I was doing what I'd been initially hired to do (teacher training, rather than teaching in a classroom), or if my director was more open to criticism on our current trajectory I might love this job... but I don't.
Learning a lot all the time
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 15, 2017
You never stop learning with the Peace Corps and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I will always recommend people of all ages to look at a job with them.
Great place to get experience in a developing country
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MoroccoApril 5, 2017
This experience is definitely what you put into it. If you are not a self starter or if you need a lot of direction you might find the 2 years of service a struggle.
Pros
health care, many days off, flexible management, supportive staff
Cons
you need to be a self starter
Great opportunity to gain experience teaching and practice language skills
Teaching English Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Espave, PanamaFebruary 16, 2017
A typical training day involved language courses that were intensive and had speaking, reading, writing and listening tasks. These are in the morning every day. They also include tasks outside applying the language and grammar skills. For example buying food, writing a letter, taking the bus, doing an interview, talking about a specific topic to a native speaker, and listening to the news or other media and writing a summary.
The next part of the day, in the afternoon we had intensive Teaching English training. This involved main theories and how the theories relate to teaching practice. They talked about the local public school system and style of dress and behaviors expected for teachers. They had us create micro-teaching lessons and teach them to the rest of the group.
A third component included cultural discussions and dealing with cultural shock. They did plays and role-plays and went over dress, food, medical customs, religious beliefs, and ceremonies of the native culture.
Finally, they had life skills training in-country activities like how to take public transit, how to get around to different key places for Peace Corps, how to talk about safety and health concerns, and addressing conflicts with teachers and other volunteers or staff.
They really stress cultural and language training and making sure that all volunteers are fully prepared for service. We live with a host family for 6 months
Each 2 weeks we had an activity in a different city teaching with a native Panamanian teacher and learning their culture while sharing American culture. We had visits to
  more... other volunteer sites and Panama City to review. Peace Corps truly scaffolds the experience to ensure readiness to volunteer.  less
Pros
intensive language & cultural training, teaching experience, authentic experience, opportunity to learn about yourself and others, well structured, caring staff, all expenses paid, healthcare included
PC is a good company to work for
Community Agribusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed being a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda. The work was enjoyable and the staff was amazing. Peace Corps would be a good choice for a young-professional with a big heart.
Great place to learn new skills and improve personally.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  PanamaJanuary 25, 2017
Working with English Teachers in Panama, I learned how to assess and observe a community and school for immediate needs. I was able to create and implement several projects for enhancing teaching techniques and education at the school.
Pros
Travel, learning about yourself in a new environment, 2nd language
Cons
time away from family and friends
Life Changing
Youth, Family and Community Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sabana, PRJanuary 9, 2017
This was the most challenging and rewarding experience of my life. They staff cares for the volunteers, you get a lot of help with language development, training and support.
Peace Corps
Medical Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2016
Working for the Peace Corps is almost like being in Army all over again; without the uniform and strict rules. Service to country is one of the most underappreciated things and I wish more people will take the time to do so.
Great Experience
Medical Records Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2016
Great experience working for the Peace Corps. I learned a lot at a young age working for the company as a contractor. I also became close with the medical staff.
Wonderful experience cross cultural education
Community Developer (Former Employee) –  Savaii, Samoa, South PacificDecember 13, 2016
Wonderful experience in cross cultural education. As a teacher of English, I learned as much or perhaps more than I taught. I also enjoyed spending time with dedicated fellow volunteers.
Life Changing Experience
Business, Youth, and Community Development Agent (Former Employee) –  MoroccoOctober 30, 2016
I served in Morocco for 27 months, this included 11 weeks of cross cultural training and intensive language training.

This truly was a life changing experience.

More information can be provided if inquired.
Met lots of great people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good training. Great language skills training. Welcoming, organized and had a sincere want to make the world a better place.
Great organization
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Typical day can be whatever you want it to be.
I learned about all global opportunities available on each continent for Peace Corps Volunteers.
My co-workers were all RPCVs so it was awesome to share stories and feel like I fit in somewhere, right after service.
Productive and self-fulling place to work
SECONDARY EDUCATION ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  MarshallMay 13, 2016
Working with country national counter parts and improving the organization has been an educational experience. One is able to learn how to work with people in a different cultural setting and gain life changing skills that can't be compared to any other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6