Peace Corps Employee Review

Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish
  more... to speaking fairly fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day.
Pros
Great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons
My health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends

Other Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Need to be Extremely motivated
Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MoroccoNovember 13, 2017
A PC volunteer is more than just a job, it's a 24/7 commitment as a representative of the U.S. to foreign countries. Be prepared to work your cultural sensitivity. It's not a bad program overall, but administration and programming could be improved.
silly
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  NYNovember 8, 2017
i think it is sillty that you make people fill ithis out especially since half of the jobs aren't jobs i had except errors in the software that diagnoses my resume
Pros
not good
Cons
protocol

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6