Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Passionate, mission-driven community
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2017
Peace Corps has consistently ranked in the top three federal agencies to work for. Great place if you're interested in international affairs or grassroots level development and are interested in federal work. Coworkers are friendly and willing to answer questions and help provide training opportunities for staff.
Great Teaching Experience
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 17, 2017
Working for TNTP Americorps was a wonderful experience. I felt completely prepared to teach the following year and had a teacher trainer helping me throughout the way to develop my classroom management strategies and lesson planning abilities. Wonderful experience for earning teaching certification!
Life Changing Experience
English Education and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  BorjomiJuly 16, 2017
Anyone thinking about doing Peace Corps should take a long time thinking about it. If you are willing and able to be away from your family and friends for two years, do it. If not, don't. With that said, my experience was very fulfilling and has helped mold me into the person I am today.
Good
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2017
Its a great company to work on. It is the best place I've ever worked! I say this because I'm challenged each day, motivated to do my best and feel supported by my management team. It's a joy coming to work each day!
The toughest job you'll ever love
Teacher Trainer and Teacher (Former Employee) –  IndonesiaJune 19, 2017
They pay you to travel abroad and help the local community n whichever was is most productive. As long as you keep an open mind and are willing to fully adapt to a new culture, you'll love it here Make sure you're committed to the project though, as you'll miss you're loved ones. Overall, I truly loved it and it was a lie changing experience.
Fun and hardest job you'll ever love
Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee) –  BluefieldsJune 16, 2017
I love Peace Corps and I would highly recommend it to anyone is very motivated, flexible and interested in learning on the job in sometime difficult or harsh environments where you have to adapt and overcome adversity. I love it and everybody I know who has stuck it out loves being here and doing what we do as a whole.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, job training, language training and appropriate pay
Cons
Travel, integration into another society, everything you do is in another language
N/a
Community Economic Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicJune 15, 2017
Serving as a Peace Corps volunteer is so different from a normal work environment that it doesn't make sense to try and describe it here. If someone is thinking about serving should go to the Peace Corps website.
Great learning environment
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 6, 2017
Great learning environment. Techs work together well, communicate and help resolves issues in a timely manner. Many ways to learn and lots of support in doing so.
The job of a life time
Environment Extension Agent (Former Employee) –  Fangoune MassassiJune 1, 2017
The toughest job you'll ever love. I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my experience in the Peace Corps. It's a job that engages both heart, brain, and soul.
Pros
Complete immersion in a different culture
Cons
Frequent illness
Interesting and meaningful work
Peace Corp (Former Employee) –  ChengduMay 27, 2017
Working in China as a PCV is a meaningful experience. I lived in a local community and integrate. I worked from home mostly and taught classes at Uni.
Pros
Home office. Lived on campus. Walking commute
Cons
Lived on campus. Crowded places
Great experience
Secondary Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  DzhankoyMay 19, 2017
There is no typical Peace Corps experience. Mine was perhaps the best experience of my life thus far. The people and culture is amazing. The training was fantastic!
Difficult to adjust living outside the U.S.
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2017
You worked 24/7 in a community you were placed. You learn a new culture and a new language. The hardest part of the job is not being able to communicate with other volunteers, friends and family.
Pros
Great life experience
Cons
You are secluded
Best mistake/ worst good decision I ever made
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Guyana, South AmericaMay 4, 2017
Being a Peace Corps volunteer requires one to design their own project with in a community. This job can be a difficult one at time. a Volunteer is called on to acclimate to a new environment and culture and to try to meet the needs of that community with out forcing your agenda on your community.
There are days that you see the work you do and its impact, days you realize you may never see the impact you have, and days you doubt there will be any impact at all.
Pros
travel, new experiences, impactful work
Cons
emotionally taxing
Challenging and Rewarding
Peer Support Network Member (Current Employee) –  IndonesiaApril 30, 2017
Peace Corps Indonesia has been one the most challenging jobs I have done. Being a volunteer is a 24-hour a day, 7-day a week job. I would suggest reading the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations and making sure that you can commit to them for 27 months.
Mismanagement and inflated advancement
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2017
People are promoted based upon personal preference and not professional skill. Culture of conflict aversion. Do not question your colleagues. They want no conflict. Very siloed.
"Toughest job you'll ever love" is a lie.
English Language Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Taoa, Vava'uApril 23, 2017
Maybe if I was doing what I'd been initially hired to do (teacher training, rather than teaching in a classroom), or if my director was more open to criticism on our current trajectory I might love this job... but I don't.
Learning a lot all the time
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 15, 2017
You never stop learning with the Peace Corps and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I will always recommend people of all ages to look at a job with them.
Great place to get experience in a developing country
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MoroccoApril 5, 2017
This experience is definitely what you put into it. If you are not a self starter or if you need a lot of direction you might find the 2 years of service a struggle.
Pros
health care, many days off, flexible management, supportive staff
Cons
you need to be a self starter
Great opportunity to gain experience teaching and practice language skills
Teaching English Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Espave, PanamaFebruary 16, 2017
A typical training day involved language courses that were intensive and had speaking, reading, writing and listening tasks. These are in the morning every day. They also include tasks outside applying the language and grammar skills. For example buying food, writing a letter, taking the bus, doing an interview, talking about a specific topic to a native speaker, and listening to the news or other media and writing a summary.
The next part of the day, in the afternoon we had intensive Teaching English training. This involved main theories and how the theories relate to teaching practice. They talked about the local public school system and style of dress and behaviors expected for teachers. They had us create micro-teaching lessons and teach them to the rest of the group.
A third component included cultural discussions and dealing with cultural shock. They did plays and role-plays and went over dress, food, medical customs, religious beliefs, and ceremonies of the native culture.
Finally, they had life skills training in-country activities like how to take public transit, how to get around to different key places for Peace Corps, how to talk about safety and health concerns, and addressing conflicts with teachers and other volunteers or staff.
They really stress cultural and language training and making sure that all volunteers are fully prepared for service. We live with a host family for 6 months
Each 2 weeks we had an activity in a different city teaching with a native Panamanian teacher and learning their culture while sharing American culture. We had visits to
  more... other volunteer sites and Panama City to review. Peace Corps truly scaffolds the experience to ensure readiness to volunteer.  less
Pros
intensive language & cultural training, teaching experience, authentic experience, opportunity to learn about yourself and others, well structured, caring staff, all expenses paid, healthcare included
PC is a good company to work for
Community Agribusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed being a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda. The work was enjoyable and the staff was amazing. Peace Corps would be a good choice for a young-professional with a big heart.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6