Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee), Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
PeaceCorps
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee), 4-H Saint maryAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Living in a different culture
Cons: Working with Governmental Organizations
Peace Corps was an amazing experience. It wasn't at all easy, always challenging and sometimes frustrating but at the end of the day, you appreciated the opportunity and felt that you have made some difference.
work all over the world learning new skills and interacting with new peoples,cultures, religions.
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee), The Gambia, West fricaJuly 6, 2015
Pros: organizational support, committed collegues, healtcare, wonderful work experince, flexibility in work time and schedule
Depending on which country you work in, and where you work, the roles and responsibilities vary greatly. However, if you are open, goal oriented, hardworking and flexible, you will have a good experience. You will learn about a new culture, and all the aspects of working in it. You will also have the opportunity to learn some hard and soft skills, and practice them in some of the most challenging yet interesting settings possible. Other co-workers become your friends and ultimately, your family as you share experiences, advice and skills that are crucial t your success. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely getting your use your skills, education and expertise in the most creative way possible in order to solve local problems.
Teaching English
English Teacher (Former Employee), Columbia, WAJune 22, 2015
I was immersed in a community and lived with a host family worked with students and teachers. It was an incredible oppurtunity and it was like working 24 hours a day, learned about the people in my community and was able to use my skills to make lesson plans that pushed my student to learn english.
engaging, productive environment
Project Manager/Security Controller Assessor (SCA) (Current Employee), Washington, D.C.May 28, 2015
Pros: Ability to work with others
Cons: not enough time to complete task in a day
A typical work day includes, reviewing of current projects, conduct assessment of NIST documentations (800-53, 800-53A, 800-37, etc) report to management of status of current projects.
Life-Changing Experience
Community Development Project Associate (Former Employee), El SalvadorMay 8, 2015
Peace Corps is a great opportunity for young professionals to gain a new perspective, develop relevant job skills and affect change on a grassroots level.
Peace Corps takes care of their own
Regional Recruiter and Outreach Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2015
Peace Corps is a great place to grow and thrive professionally. They treat all employees with respect and work to create a healthy professional environment.
Continuous progress within the organization
English Literacy Teacher (Former Employee), Western SamoaMarch 17, 2015
Pros: The opportunity to live on a remote island and improve upon my professionalism.
Cons: Difference in teaching strategies, difference in disciplinary system, time management
A typical day at work consisted of teaching English Literacy in a rural school on the island of Western Samoa. We were required to undergo 2 months of intensive training before we were sent out into the schools. I have learned a significant amount in classroom management, structured curriculum, and assessment of students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a balance in the methods of teaching that I learned in school, and the ways that Samoans have been teaching/taught their entire lives. It was a humbling experience and I would not trade it for the world.
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee), abroadDecember 29, 2014
it was a good time. i learned a lot. I had my ups and downs. I definitely recommend it.
Long hours/ Work/Life Balance
DIRECTOR OF MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS (Current Employee), InternationalDecember 7, 2014
Pros: international travel
Cons: long hours, low pay
If you looking for long hours, no staff recognition of work, and low pay then this is the agency for you.
An amazing experience everyone should try
Trainee-Sierra Leone (Former Employee), Sierra LeoneNovember 11, 2014
Peace Corps changed my life. Every day was an adventure. Experiencing a different culture by living with a host family and teaching English to the children of that country was an amazing and sobering experience.
Great experience
Food Securirty Extension Agent (Former Employee), TogoOctober 15, 2014
Everyone who wants to travel and do true good in the world, Peace Corps is the way.
hardest job you will ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Concepcion, ParaguayOctober 14, 2014
Pros: personally rewarding; learn foreign language; experience life
Best experience of my life. Challenging but incredibly rewarding.
Federal Government
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2014
I worked with the supervisor as an administrative assistant for three months. With my knowledege and coursework that I have contributed to the federal government, it gave me insight of what the different point of view with my collegaue, and we discussed the different ideas regarding deaf accessability, frequent meetings, I managed scheduled for my boss and other staff in the office. I published the newsletter regarding issues with diversity and inclusion at government. I had also worked with other private and federal sectors in the past. As an adminitrative assistant, it is always challenege, but it is fun to learn new things. I had only interned, so there were not much regarding pros and cons.
Community Health Advisor
Community Health Facilitator (Former Employee), Ghana West AfricaSeptember 14, 2014
I mobilized communities to carry out community health assessment in water, sanitation and malaria.
Excellent Experience
Community Economic Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Dominican RepublicAugust 13, 2014
In the Peace Corps, you can be the change that you want to see in the world.
Truly a life-long achievement.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Mampong, Ghana, West AfricaJuly 29, 2014
The Peace Corps gave me the tools to succeed at an international level. I have grown so much through the opportunity that the Peace Corps has given me. My skills in communications were realized and my talents were able to be used with remarkable results on the host country nationals. I will always remember the lives that I have touched and the people of Africa that have supported me and gave me support on my future going forward.
This has been an amazing experience.
Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Current Employee), Togue, KedougouJuly 18, 2014
Through speaking Fula (Pulaar), I work with Senegalese locals in my small community to improve agricultural techniques as well as implement other projects that would benefit those around me. These projects fall into sectors including agriculture, agroforestry, health, and community and economic development.
Cultural Experience of a Lifetime
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ghana, West AfricaJune 25, 2014
Pros: the experience of a lifetime
Cons: heat, humidity, and mosquitos
The Peace Corps was really the toughest job that I have ever loved. It was a wonderful experience. My job consisted of cultural exchange. Teaching at schools and community meetings about health and hygeine practices.

I learned new languages and many other skills related to being in a foreign country.

My fellow volunteers were great and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was the intense heat and humidity of living in a West African Country.

I enjoyed every part of the job.
International Development Experience
Project Lead for English Teaching Program (Former Employee), El Cortezo de Nata, PanamaJune 24, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, living in a new culture, working to create positive change
Cons: slower pace of life interfered with work at times.
In the Peace Corps I worked with two different school in developing successful teaching methodologies while also collaborating with teachers in sucessful curriculum development. I also co-taught classes during my work at the schools for two years. I managed the progression of three different teachers. Outside of the school I created and facilitated several youth-group educational and engaging seminars on social development.

While living abroad and working internationally for two years was difficult at times I greatly enjoyed meeting new people, having the opportunity to develop positive change, living in a new culture while being able to practice my Spanish, and developing life long friendships with community members.
Industry