Peace Corps Employee Reviews in United States

team environment
Teaching English leadership volunteer (Current Employee) –  La chorrera, PanamaMarch 23, 2016
I would love to work with an ambitious group of co-workers. Fun and friendly environment. I want a job that will allow me to move up and grow as a person. Also a job that has the potential to travel internationally
Pros
good pay, health care, opportunities to grow
Cons
long hours, sitting all day
The hardest job you'll ever love.
English Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  The Republic of GeorgiaMay 9, 2016
An amazing opportunity for growth and developing skills. I had a wonderful experience, learning so much about myself and another culture and country. At times very difficult, learning a new language and being immersed in a place so different. But, overall, such am amazing and beautiful experience.
Pros
Ability to grow, experience new things, a new country and culture
Cons
Difficult placements, locations are far from home
Productive and self-fulling place to work
SECONDARY EDUCATION ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  MarshallMay 13, 2016
Working with country national counter parts and improving the organization has been an educational experience. One is able to learn how to work with people in a different cultural setting and gain life changing skills that can't be compared to any other.
Great organization
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Typical day can be whatever you want it to be.
I learned about all global opportunities available on each continent for Peace Corps Volunteers.
My co-workers were all RPCVs so it was awesome to share stories and feel like I fit in somewhere, right after service.
Unique and invaluable experience
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at work is unusual in the Peace Corps because your everyday life is your work. Part of Peace Corps' mission is to demonstrate US culture to persons of other nations, and vice versa. Therefore, every interaction was supposed to be reflect this in a positive light. I learned that there are always alternative means of accomplishing things; rarely is there a "right" way. I learned how to manage people and groups in a diverse setting, in another language. My co-workers consisted of other Dominicans as well as Peace Corps volunteers. It was normally a very supportive network. The hardest part was living your job, with no separation between the two. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with individuals who were so diverse.
Pros
Great way to learn a new language
Cons
Live your job
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2016
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad working as a public health educator and promoter in a small, rural Peruvian town.
Met lots of great people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good training. Great language skills training. Welcoming, organized and had a sincere want to make the world a better place.
Hardest job I've ever loved
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dominican RepublicDecember 21, 2015
The Peace Corps experience is a particularly difficult job to explain as so many small things are involved within my daily life. Like so many other developmental agencies, Peace Corps' main goal is to aid communities in different aspects of development; business, youth, health, and education. But the main difference that makes Peace Corps so unique is that volunteers are placed alone within their communities to work and live for a full 24 months; developing trust, relationships, and not simply providing materials, but working together to learn. A typical day for me consists of collecting water, interacting with neighbors and local kids, meetings with my youth groups, grant writing (depending on the day), maybe squashing a few tarantulas, etc but the thing I love most about Peace Corps is the fact there is no typical day. That being said, Peace Corps is without a doubt that hardest job or experience I have ever had. Living in extreme poverty, learning a new language, dealing with machismo, trying to teach people who don't want to be taught, simply being alone, etc are among the biggest challenges I face daily but I can notice a viable difference in the person who I have become.
Pros
Becoming fluent in Spanish
Cons
Tarantulas
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries.
Pros
unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons
application process is very long. low salary
Great Experience
Community Health Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  KoumbidiaNovember 30, 2015
Peace Corps has been an invaluable development personally and professionally. This position provided hands-on and practice field experience while also making valuable impacts through grassroots and localist activist programming.
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
Pros
you do good for others, personal growth
Cons
isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
work all over the world learning new skills and interacting with new peoples,cultures, religions.
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Gambia, West fricaJuly 6, 2015
Depending on which country you work in, and where you work, the roles and responsibilities vary greatly. However, if you are open, goal oriented, hardworking and flexible, you will have a good experience. You will learn about a new culture, and all the aspects of working in it. You will also have the opportunity to learn some hard and soft skills, and practice them in some of the most challenging yet interesting settings possible. Other co-workers become your friends and ultimately, your family as you share experiences, advice and skills that are crucial t your success. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely getting your use your skills, education and expertise in the most creative way possible in order to solve local problems.
Pros
organizational support, committed collegues, healtcare, wonderful work experince, flexibility in work time and schedule
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
great people, benefits and work environment
Richly rewarding experience, both professionally and personally.
Adolescent Health Education Advisor in St. Lucia (Former Employee) –  Dennery Hospital, St. LuciaJuly 17, 2015
Learning to navigate daily life professionally and personally in a foreign culture and in a language other than one's primary language is very challenging and provides a new set of skills which can be generalized to any future experiences.
Pros
Learning a new language and living immersed in a new culture.
Cons
Living totally removed family and friends, and from all that is familiar caries with it a degree of stress wnhich is constant.
PeaceCorps
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  4-H Saint maryAugust 10, 2015
Peace Corps was an amazing experience. It wasn't at all easy, always challenging and sometimes frustrating but at the end of the day, you appreciated the opportunity and felt that you have made some difference.
Pros
Living in a different culture
Cons
Working with Governmental Organizations
Continuous progress within the organization
English Literacy Teacher (Former Employee) –  Western SamoaMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of teaching English Literacy in a rural school on the island of Western Samoa. We were required to undergo 2 months of intensive training before we were sent out into the schools. I have learned a significant amount in classroom management, structured curriculum, and assessment of students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a balance in the methods of teaching that I learned in school, and the ways that Samoans have been teaching/taught their entire lives. It was a humbling experience and I would not trade it for the world.
Pros
The opportunity to live on a remote island and improve upon my professionalism.
Cons
Difference in teaching strategies, difference in disciplinary system, time management
You learn and grow.
TEFLE Trainer, Teacher Trainer (Current Employee) –  JIang YOu ChinaMarch 11, 2013
I love being a volunteer in China. The Peace corps is great to the volunteers. They are always available to us.
Pros
training and free language instruction
Cons
volunteer salary.
MEDICAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Cape VerdeDecember 12, 2014
Great place to work. As you work for the government, also with the responsibility of all voluntaries health and security, I had to work hard, prioritized and well organized my daily tasks. The communication and the management it was out standing. The co workers are like a part of the family, we all work as a team to improved our work doesn't matter what difficulties'. The hard part of the job I believe it when the new voluntaries arrives. I pretty much enjoy every second working for PC.
Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
engaging, productive environment
Project Manager/Security Controller Assessor (SCA) (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.May 28, 2015
A typical work day includes, reviewing of current projects, conduct assessment of NIST documentations (800-53, 800-53A, 800-37, etc) report to management of status of current projects.
Pros
Ability to work with others
Cons
not enough time to complete task in a day

4.6