Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

The toughest job I'll ever love.
Peace Corps Volunteer: TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), UkraineApril 10, 2014
Pros: international education exposure, foreign methodologies, very active students, freedom in lessons
Cons: communication errors due to language barriers with ukrainian colleagues
On a typical work day, I would teach at the local school with grades 7-11. I taught every day in Ukrainian and English and typically taught alone or occasionally with a Ukrainian English teacher. I implemented two English Clubs, an after-school tutoring program and helped at school events. I planned lessons independently and worked with a team of four – more... Ukrainian teachers of English.

I learned how to really apply my learned methodologies from student teaching into a foreign classroom. I also learned how to differentiate with a group of students learning English as a foreign language. My overall skills and experience grew from the time spent in my school and the local village schools.

I played in integral part in the management of the English Department alongside my Ukrainian colleagues. I had a main "counterpart" with whom I planned lessons, made schedule changes and coordinated curriculum and test schedules.

I worked primarily with three very experienced Ukrainian English teachers and occasionally worked with the three new teachers who were hired only one year before myself. We worked great as a team when planning events in school such as "English Week" and "Olympiads." I and my colleagues gave constructive criticism to one another and substituted for each other when necessary.

The hardest part of my job was serving in "an area of hardship." Peace Corps send us to live and work in an area which needs the help and occasionally the weather or lack of the school amenities we are lucky to have in America sometimes caused irritation. In the end, however I learned to adapt and actually ended up teaching two workshops to incoming volunteers about working with limited resources in Peace Corps.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my students. They could make me so proud and remember daily why I went into the teaching field. They were so active and eager to learn and worked hard. I also loved the overall experience of teaching overseas in a foreign country with innovative youth. – less
Job
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee), Suva, FijiMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flexibility, freedom
Cons: adjustment to other culture/environment. can be difficult for most people.
Peace Corps is an exciting opportunity that people should take advantage of. Working and communicating with people from different cultures in a different language is really skill building for interpersonal skills. There are many different sectors that you work in for your primary assignment, but your secondary assignment is something that you are solely – more... interested in, something that can be helpful for the community. Great opportunity, lots of flexibility and freedom with the job. – less
Challenging and rewarding life experience and skill development
English Teacher (Former Employee), PanamaMarch 24, 2014
My job as a Teaching English Volunteer consisted of working alongside teachers from K-12, holding seminars and workshops to develop new methods and skills. Additionally, I created an After-School Program to improve students study skills, motivate them to do well in school, develop life skills, and design personal goals.

I learned many things during – more... my two year service, but the most important is that there is always someone who can benefit from your support and help, but you will always come out of the experience having learned more than you imagined about yourself and about the world.

As a volunteer, I got the opportunity to be my own boss and create my own schedule. I divided my time between two different local schools and focused on teachers that were dedicated to self improvement and had a true educator's passion. These educators were in turn, my co-workers. We were able to collaborate effectively and work well as a team. In certain situations, I would join forces with other nearby volunteers to collaborate on large projects.

The hardest part of my job was a lack of motivation on the part of my school. Education in my site was undervalued, therefore motivation was an issue for the teachers, as well as my students. My task was to motivate and empower teachers and students so they would gain the confidence to work harder. This was also the most enjoyable part of my job because I could see the progress and the self-realization of my community counterparts. – less
A day in the life for a Peace Corps Volunteer
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee), Dominican RepublicMarch 11, 2014
As a Volunteer you are on the job 24/7. You live in the community you are serving and also work within that community. I had several classes going and a few extra curricular programs running in my community. Early in the day, I would have a "Brilliant Girls" group, where we would showcase talents, engage in discussions about healthy decision making, – more... draw, color, and have a good time. Then I would have my Women's Healthy Homes group. In this class we discussed everything from nutrition to pap smears; from methods to purify water to sexually transmitted disease. I also ran a weight loss group with these women. Then I would have my youth group meeting. I taught high schoolers' about sexual education, healthy decision making, and other related topics. Each lesson had a formal outline, but we were encouraged to change our teaching hab its to those that would best benefit those attending the classes. Each class lasted from 1-2 hours, and it took about 8 hours of work for each lesson plan. Since we did not have electricity, I would draw out the plans by hand.I also lead kids on river trips to discuss how we can keep our rivers clean and safe to swim in.

I learned so much that it is hard to just pinpoint one part. I learned patience is key to the process, and I carry that with that with me today. I also learned several different teaching methods/styles. I was self managed while out in the field, but monthly reports were given to my supervisor, as well as visits from him and other higher ranking volunteers during my sessions.

My Peace Corps Co-Workers were amazing and inspiring. My Dominican Co-Workers were dedicated to the betterment of the village.
At times it would be difficult to settle down a group of adults/teens/children; however, from my previous teaching experience, including my TEFL courses, I have learned methods that are fun and non-intrusive to bring the group back to attention.

I love my job because I worked with a variety of age groups. I could se genuine interest and progress with my students. – less
Learned skills beyond my expectations.
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), Jiang You, ChinaFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: live and work in another culture.
Cons: china was very polluted.
The Peace Corps states, "The toughest job you'll ever love." That is so true. I was a TEFL teacher but saw so many other needs in the community. I started a women's group. I participated with my students and others in Leadership workshops for women. I was a career counselor for my students. I love living and working with other cultures. The Peace Corps – more... gives an individual an opportunity to truly immerse in another culture. – less
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee), Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: the appreciation and love of others
Cons: the weather and insects
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. – more... I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work. – less
Challenging and competitive field
Volunteer (Former Employee), Limon, Costa RicaFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: language skill, adaptability to diverse situations, strong volunteer relationships
Cons: solitude from other members of the peace corps
The Peace Corps was a very difficult experience. I was alone for the majority of my time in Costa Rica. I was able to garner valuable experience in adapting to new cultures, learning a new language and building relationships with limited communication. Management was a hands-off experience and most of my activities were self-run. My co-workers were – more... great people who were all very dedicated to what they were doing with their respective communities. The solitude and lack of team atmosphere was incredibly challenging. However, the connections made with other members of the Peace Corps and my community were unforgettable experiences. – less
Great experience for understanding international and community development
Community Economic Development Agent, Senegal (Former Employee), SenegalFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: flexability, freedom to focus your talents in different areas
Cons: no supervisor that analyses your work on a day to day basis
The Peace Corps was a completely different experience then anything I have had and something I did not regret. It really gives you an opportunity to understand how the community/international development field works and get your feet in the industry. The Peace Corps allows you to utilize skill sets that you already have and channel them into development – more... projects that help local communities. The hardest part of the job was adapting to village life in Senegal with many of the basic luxuries of my life in America stripped away. I also had to learn two new languages (French and Wolof) which was something I had never done before. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the locals in my town and helping them better their lives through business trainings. – less
The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love
Education Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: healthcare is 100% across the board, doctors were amazing, training team is amazing
Cons: the living stipend was barely enough to live
Every day was different. I would go to school and co-teach students with a local counterpart. It was a challenge because most of the locals are not motivated and you have to help them find their inspirations, which is also very rewarding. Management was very fair and let volunteers be autonomous with support when needed. The other volunteers are not – more... hippies like a lot of people think. Most are all there to figure out their place in the world. The groups of volunteers are diverse from new grads to in their 70s. The hardest part was not fitting into the local culture and not being able to express who I was. The most rewarding comes after your service when you get to see those whose lives you touched achieving their dreams. – less
The Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
Peace Corps TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), Isperih, BulgariaJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: great job satisfaction, great benefits, easy travel, wonderful management
Cons: feeling like you are in a fishbowl
The tagline of the Peace Corps is absolutely true. It is the hardest job you will ever love, it isn't easy. A lot is expected from you as a volunteer and you will feel like you live in a fishbowl, but then you see your impact on your community and students and you will realise that it is all worth it.
Intern
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2013
Working at Peace Corps headquater office in DC is a great expereince, and I have also learned how to work with staff.
The Adventure of a Lifetime
Community Enterprise Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Njinikom, CameroonNovember 20, 2013
Pros: great location
Cons: no cheese
Most recently, I completed my service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon where I worked in Community Enterprise Development. As a peace corps volunteer your are responsible for representing the United States and American culture in your host country. You are therefore thrust into a leadership role in the community. Part of my duties as a volunteer – more... was relationship management and prioritization. I worked closely with senior government officials and community organizations on development projects, allocating limited resources in highly impoverished areas. This is a delicate process that is dependent on relationship management. It is my hope that I can use the skills and experiences gained through my service in my future career. – less
The toughest job you'll ever love
Youth Development Facilitator (Former Employee), PeruNovember 6, 2013
Pros: experience of a lifetime, lifelong friendships, cross-cultural exchange
Cons: illness, parasites, uncertainty about projects, having to leave after 2 years.
A "typical day" in Peace Corps is hard to sum up, as everybody has a different experience and everyday brought new challenges, adventures, and learning experiences.

Peace Corps tests your inner strength, perseverance, your ideas of cultural norms and the world, and your intestinal lining.

Flexibility, patience, self-motivation and direction are all – more... qualities a Peace Corps Volunteer must learn during their time in service. "Going with the flow" as well as being assertive are two characteristics you develop fast.

The hardest part was feeling like I didn't do enough.

The best part was not just working in a community, but becoming a part of it. – less
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee), Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
Pros: great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons: my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood – more... stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day. – less
Volunteering
Community and Organizational Development Adviser (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 8, 2013
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: out ofus for 2 years
Great adventure , but hard work. Work is very rewarding. It is volunteer work, so not much pay.
The toughest job you'll ever love.
Volunteer (Former Employee), MacedoniaSeptember 24, 2013
Your alone a lot. The people you were assigned to work with don't always want you. Nobody is managing you so your daily motivation has to come from yourself. The only people that are consistently reliable are other volunteers, but they don't always live near you. Yet somehow you make it happen. You make it work.
Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee), Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment – more... site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in. – less
Good experience in global field.
Volunteer Leader (Former Employee), MadagascarAugust 9, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: job description structure
Good organization for the independent employee and inquisitive researcher.
Peace Corps
Volunteer (Former Employee), UkraineAugust 7, 2013
It is one of the hardest, challenging jobs but I loved every moment of it.
Lived in my community and gained respect of the school I workd with
toughest job you'll ever love
Ecotourism & Development Leader (Former Employee), San AndrĂ©s Xecul, GuatemalaAugust 5, 2013
There is no typical work day. You will be taken out of your element in every way and forced to use your own creativity and drive to make whatever projects you're interested in happen. All in another language! I loved all of my fellow volunteers and know that I have made friends for life.

1 2 3

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more