Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Great place to learn new skills and improve personally.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  PanamaJanuary 25, 2017
Working with English Teachers in Panama, I learned how to assess and observe a community and school for immediate needs. I was able to create and implement several projects for enhancing teaching techniques and education at the school.
Pros
Travel, learning about yourself in a new environment, 2nd language
Cons
time away from family and friends
Life Changing
Youth, Family and Community Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sabana, PRJanuary 9, 2017
This was the most challenging and rewarding experience of my life. They staff cares for the volunteers, you get a lot of help with language development, training and support.
Peace Corps
Medical Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2016
Working for the Peace Corps is almost like being in Army all over again; without the uniform and strict rules. Service to country is one of the most underappreciated things and I wish more people will take the time to do so.
PC is a good company to work for
Community Agribusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed being a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda. The work was enjoyable and the staff was amazing. Peace Corps would be a good choice for a young-professional with a big heart.
Wonderful experience cross cultural education
Community Developer (Former Employee) –  Savaii, Samoa, South PacificDecember 13, 2016
Wonderful experience in cross cultural education. As a teacher of English, I learned as much or perhaps more than I taught. I also enjoyed spending time with dedicated fellow volunteers.
Great Experience
Medical Records Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2016
Great experience working for the Peace Corps. I learned a lot at a young age working for the company as a contractor. I also became close with the medical staff.
Life Changing Experience
Business, Youth, and Community Development Agent (Former Employee) –  MoroccoOctober 30, 2016
I served in Morocco for 27 months, this included 11 weeks of cross cultural training and intensive language training.

This truly was a life changing experience.

More information can be provided if inquired.
The hardest job you'll ever love.
English Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  The Republic of GeorgiaMay 9, 2016
An amazing opportunity for growth and developing skills. I had a wonderful experience, learning so much about myself and another culture and country. At times very difficult, learning a new language and being immersed in a place so different. But, overall, such am amazing and beautiful experience.
Pros
Ability to grow, experience new things, a new country and culture
Cons
Difficult placements, locations are far from home
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries.
Pros
unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons
application process is very long. low salary
Great opportunity to gain experience teaching and practice language skills
Teaching English Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Espave, PanamaFebruary 16, 2017
A typical training day involved language courses that were intensive and had speaking, reading, writing and listening tasks. These are in the morning every day. They also include tasks outside applying the language and grammar skills. For example buying food, writing a letter, taking the bus, doing an interview, talking about a specific topic to a native speaker, and listening to the news or other media and writing a summary.
The next part of the day, in the afternoon we had intensive Teaching English training. This involved main theories and how the theories relate to teaching practice. They talked about the local public school system and style of dress and behaviors expected for teachers. They had us create micro-teaching lessons and teach them to the rest of the group.
A third component included cultural discussions and dealing with cultural shock. They did plays and role-plays and went over dress, food, medical customs, religious beliefs, and ceremonies of the native culture.
Finally, they had life skills training in-country activities like how to take public transit, how to get around to different key places for Peace Corps, how to talk about safety and health concerns, and addressing conflicts with teachers and other volunteers or staff.
They really stress cultural and language training and making sure that all volunteers are fully prepared for service. We live with a host family for 6 months
Each 2 weeks we had an activity in a different city teaching with a native Panamanian teacher and learning their culture while sharing American culture. We had visits to
  more... other volunteer sites and Panama City to review. Peace Corps truly scaffolds the experience to ensure readiness to volunteer.  less
Pros
intensive language & cultural training, teaching experience, authentic experience, opportunity to learn about yourself and others, well structured, caring staff, all expenses paid, healthcare included

Want to know more about Peace Corps?

Ask a question
team environment
Teaching English leadership volunteer (Current Employee) –  La chorrera, PanamaMarch 23, 2016
I would love to work with an ambitious group of co-workers. Fun and friendly environment. I want a job that will allow me to move up and grow as a person. Also a job that has the potential to travel internationally
Pros
good pay, health care, opportunities to grow
Cons
long hours, sitting all day
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
Pros
You do good for others, Personal Growth
Cons
Isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
Met lots of great people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good training. Great language skills training. Welcoming, organized and had a sincere want to make the world a better place.
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
great people, benefits and work environment
Productive and self-fulling place to work
SECONDARY EDUCATION ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  MarshallMay 13, 2016
Working with country national counter parts and improving the organization has been an educational experience. One is able to learn how to work with people in a different cultural setting and gain life changing skills that can't be compared to any other.
Great organization
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Typical day can be whatever you want it to be.
I learned about all global opportunities available on each continent for Peace Corps Volunteers.
My co-workers were all RPCVs so it was awesome to share stories and feel like I fit in somewhere, right after service.
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2016
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad working as a public health educator and promoter in a small, rural Peruvian town.
Unique and invaluable experience
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at work is unusual in the Peace Corps because your everyday life is your work. Part of Peace Corps' mission is to demonstrate US culture to persons of other nations, and vice versa. Therefore, every interaction was supposed to be reflect this in a positive light. I learned that there are always alternative means of accomplishing things; rarely is there a "right" way. I learned how to manage people and groups in a diverse setting, in another language. My co-workers consisted of other Dominicans as well as Peace Corps volunteers. It was normally a very supportive network. The hardest part was living your job, with no separation between the two. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with individuals who were so diverse.
Pros
Great way to learn a new language
Cons
Live your job
You learn and grow.
TEFLE Trainer, Teacher Trainer (Current Employee) –  JIang YOu ChinaMarch 11, 2013
I love being a volunteer in China. The Peace corps is great to the volunteers. They are always available to us.
Pros
training and free language instruction
Cons
volunteer salary.
MEDICAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Cape VerdeDecember 12, 2014
Great place to work. As you work for the government, also with the responsibility of all voluntaries health and security, I had to work hard, prioritized and well organized my daily tasks. The communication and the management it was out standing. The co workers are like a part of the family, we all work as a team to improved our work doesn't matter what difficulties'. The hard part of the job I believe it when the new voluntaries arrives. I pretty much enjoy every second working for PC.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6