Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to gain experience teaching and practice language skills
Teaching English Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Espave, PanamaFebruary 16, 2017
A typical training day involved language courses that were intensive and had speaking, reading, writing and listening tasks. These are in the morning every day. They also include tasks outside applying the language and grammar skills. For example buying food, writing a letter, taking the bus, doing an interview, talking about a specific topic to a native speaker, and listening to the news or other media and writing a summary.
The next part of the day, in the afternoon we had intensive Teaching English training. This involved main theories and how the theories relate to teaching practice. They talked about the local public school system and style of dress and behaviors expected for teachers. They had us create micro-teaching lessons and teach them to the rest of the group.
A third component included cultural discussions and dealing with cultural shock. They did plays and role-plays and went over dress, food, medical customs, religious beliefs, and ceremonies of the native culture.
Finally, they had life skills training in-country activities like how to take public transit, how to get around to different key places for Peace Corps, how to talk about safety and health concerns, and addressing conflicts with teachers and other volunteers or staff.
They really stress cultural and language training and making sure that all volunteers are fully prepared for service. We live with a host family for 6 months
Each 2 weeks we had an activity in a different city teaching with a native Panamanian teacher and learning their culture while sharing American culture. We had visits to
  more... other volunteer sites and Panama City to review. Peace Corps truly scaffolds the experience to ensure readiness to volunteer.  less
Pros
intensive language & cultural training, teaching experience, authentic experience, opportunity to learn about yourself and others, well structured, caring staff, all expenses paid, healthcare included
PC is a good company to work for
Community Agribusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed being a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda. The work was enjoyable and the staff was amazing. Peace Corps would be a good choice for a young-professional with a big heart.
Great place to learn new skills and improve personally.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  PanamaJanuary 25, 2017
Working with English Teachers in Panama, I learned how to assess and observe a community and school for immediate needs. I was able to create and implement several projects for enhancing teaching techniques and education at the school.
Pros
Travel, learning about yourself in a new environment, 2nd language
Cons
time away from family and friends
Life Changing
Youth, Family and Community Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sabana, PRJanuary 9, 2017
This was the most challenging and rewarding experience of my life. They staff cares for the volunteers, you get a lot of help with language development, training and support.
Peace Corps
Medical Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2016
Working for the Peace Corps is almost like being in Army all over again; without the uniform and strict rules. Service to country is one of the most underappreciated things and I wish more people will take the time to do so.
Great Experience
Medical Records Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2016
Great experience working for the Peace Corps. I learned a lot at a young age working for the company as a contractor. I also became close with the medical staff.
Wonderful experience cross cultural education
Community Developer (Former Employee) –  Savaii, Samoa, South PacificDecember 13, 2016
Wonderful experience in cross cultural education. As a teacher of English, I learned as much or perhaps more than I taught. I also enjoyed spending time with dedicated fellow volunteers.
Life Changing Experience
Business, Youth, and Community Development Agent (Former Employee) –  MoroccoOctober 30, 2016
I served in Morocco for 27 months, this included 11 weeks of cross cultural training and intensive language training.

This truly was a life changing experience.

More information can be provided if inquired.
Met lots of great people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good training. Great language skills training. Welcoming, organized and had a sincere want to make the world a better place.
Great organization
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
Typical day can be whatever you want it to be.
I learned about all global opportunities available on each continent for Peace Corps Volunteers.
My co-workers were all RPCVs so it was awesome to share stories and feel like I fit in somewhere, right after service.
Productive and self-fulling place to work
SECONDARY EDUCATION ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  MarshallMay 13, 2016
Working with country national counter parts and improving the organization has been an educational experience. One is able to learn how to work with people in a different cultural setting and gain life changing skills that can't be compared to any other.
The hardest job you'll ever love.
English Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  The Republic of GeorgiaMay 9, 2016
An amazing opportunity for growth and developing skills. I had a wonderful experience, learning so much about myself and another culture and country. At times very difficult, learning a new language and being immersed in a place so different. But, overall, such am amazing and beautiful experience.
Pros
Ability to grow, experience new things, a new country and culture
Cons
Difficult placements, locations are far from home
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad
Community Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2016
Challenging, fun, and unique experience abroad working as a public health educator and promoter in a small, rural Peruvian town.
team environment
Teaching English leadership volunteer (Current Employee) –  La chorrera, PanamaMarch 23, 2016
I would love to work with an ambitious group of co-workers. Fun and friendly environment. I want a job that will allow me to move up and grow as a person. Also a job that has the potential to travel internationally
Pros
good pay, health care, opportunities to grow
Cons
long hours, sitting all day
Hardest job I've ever loved
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dominican RepublicDecember 21, 2015
The Peace Corps experience is a particularly difficult job to explain as so many small things are involved within my daily life. Like so many other developmental agencies, Peace Corps' main goal is to aid communities in different aspects of development; business, youth, health, and education. But the main difference that makes Peace Corps so unique is that volunteers are placed alone within their communities to work and live for a full 24 months; developing trust, relationships, and not simply providing materials, but working together to learn. A typical day for me consists of collecting water, interacting with neighbors and local kids, meetings with my youth groups, grant writing (depending on the day), maybe squashing a few tarantulas, etc but the thing I love most about Peace Corps is the fact there is no typical day. That being said, Peace Corps is without a doubt that hardest job or experience I have ever had. Living in extreme poverty, learning a new language, dealing with machismo, trying to teach people who don't want to be taught, simply being alone, etc are among the biggest challenges I face daily but I can notice a viable difference in the person who I have become.
Pros
Becoming fluent in Spanish
Cons
Tarantulas
Great Experience
Community Health Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  KoumbidiaNovember 30, 2015
Peace Corps has been an invaluable development personally and professionally. This position provided hands-on and practice field experience while also making valuable impacts through grassroots and localist activist programming.
Unique and invaluable experience
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at work is unusual in the Peace Corps because your everyday life is your work. Part of Peace Corps' mission is to demonstrate US culture to persons of other nations, and vice versa. Therefore, every interaction was supposed to be reflect this in a positive light. I learned that there are always alternative means of accomplishing things; rarely is there a "right" way. I learned how to manage people and groups in a diverse setting, in another language. My co-workers consisted of other Dominicans as well as Peace Corps volunteers. It was normally a very supportive network. The hardest part was living your job, with no separation between the two. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with individuals who were so diverse.
Pros
Great way to learn a new language
Cons
Live your job
Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
PeaceCorps
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  4-H Saint maryAugust 10, 2015
Peace Corps was an amazing experience. It wasn't at all easy, always challenging and sometimes frustrating but at the end of the day, you appreciated the opportunity and felt that you have made some difference.
Pros
Living in a different culture
Cons
Working with Governmental Organizations
Richly rewarding experience, both professionally and personally.
Adolescent Health Education Advisor in St. Lucia (Former Employee) –  Dennery Hospital, St. LuciaJuly 17, 2015
Learning to navigate daily life professionally and personally in a foreign culture and in a language other than one's primary language is very challenging and provides a new set of skills which can be generalized to any future experiences.
Pros
Learning a new language and living immersed in a new culture.
Cons
Living totally removed family and friends, and from all that is familiar caries with it a degree of stress wnhich is constant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6