Peace Corps Employee Reviews in United States

team environment
Teaching English leadership volunteer (Current Employee) –  La chorrera, PanamaMarch 23, 2016
I would love to work with an ambitious group of co-workers. Fun and friendly environment. I want a job that will allow me to move up and grow as a person. Also a job that has the potential to travel internationally
Pros
good pay, health care, opportunities to grow
Cons
long hours, sitting all day
Unique and invaluable experience
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at work is unusual in the Peace Corps because your everyday life is your work. Part of Peace Corps' mission is to demonstrate US culture to persons of other nations, and vice versa. Therefore, every interaction was supposed to be reflect this in a positive light. I learned that there are always alternative means of accomplishing things; rarely is there a "right" way. I learned how to manage people and groups in a diverse setting, in another language. My co-workers consisted of other Dominicans as well as Peace Corps volunteers. It was normally a very supportive network. The hardest part was living your job, with no separation between the two. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with individuals who were so diverse.
Pros
Great way to learn a new language
Cons
Live your job
PeaceCorps
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  4-H Saint maryAugust 10, 2015
Peace Corps was an amazing experience. It wasn't at all easy, always challenging and sometimes frustrating but at the end of the day, you appreciated the opportunity and felt that you have made some difference.
Pros
Living in a different culture
Cons
Working with Governmental Organizations
Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
Hardest job I've ever loved
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dominican RepublicDecember 21, 2015
The Peace Corps experience is a particularly difficult job to explain as so many small things are involved within my daily life. Like so many other developmental agencies, Peace Corps' main goal is to aid communities in different aspects of development; business, youth, health, and education. But the main difference that makes Peace Corps so unique is that volunteers are placed alone within their communities to work and live for a full 24 months; developing trust, relationships, and not simply providing materials, but working together to learn. A typical day for me consists of collecting water, interacting with neighbors and local kids, meetings with my youth groups, grant writing (depending on the day), maybe squashing a few tarantulas, etc but the thing I love most about Peace Corps is the fact there is no typical day. That being said, Peace Corps is without a doubt that hardest job or experience I have ever had. Living in extreme poverty, learning a new language, dealing with machismo, trying to teach people who don't want to be taught, simply being alone, etc are among the biggest challenges I face daily but I can notice a viable difference in the person who I have become.
Pros
Becoming fluent in Spanish
Cons
Tarantulas
Teaching English
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 22, 2015
I was immersed in a community and lived with a host family worked with students and teachers. It was an incredible oppurtunity and it was like working 24 hours a day, learned about the people in my community and was able to use my skills to make lesson plans that pushed my student to learn english.
work all over the world learning new skills and interacting with new peoples,cultures, religions.
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Gambia, West fricaJuly 6, 2015
Depending on which country you work in, and where you work, the roles and responsibilities vary greatly. However, if you are open, goal oriented, hardworking and flexible, you will have a good experience. You will learn about a new culture, and all the aspects of working in it. You will also have the opportunity to learn some hard and soft skills, and practice them in some of the most challenging yet interesting settings possible. Other co-workers become your friends and ultimately, your family as you share experiences, advice and skills that are crucial t your success. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely getting your use your skills, education and expertise in the most creative way possible in order to solve local problems.
Pros
organizational support, committed collegues, healtcare, wonderful work experince, flexibility in work time and schedule
engaging, productive environment
Project Manager/Security Controller Assessor (SCA) (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.May 28, 2015
A typical work day includes, reviewing of current projects, conduct assessment of NIST documentations (800-53, 800-53A, 800-37, etc) report to management of status of current projects.
Pros
Ability to work with others
Cons
not enough time to complete task in a day
Continuous progress within the organization
English Literacy Teacher (Former Employee) –  Western SamoaMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of teaching English Literacy in a rural school on the island of Western Samoa. We were required to undergo 2 months of intensive training before we were sent out into the schools. I have learned a significant amount in classroom management, structured curriculum, and assessment of students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a balance in the methods of teaching that I learned in school, and the ways that Samoans have been teaching/taught their entire lives. It was a humbling experience and I would not trade it for the world.
Pros
The opportunity to live on a remote island and improve upon my professionalism.
Cons
Difference in teaching strategies, difference in disciplinary system, time management
Life-Changing Experience
Community Development Project Associate (Former Employee) –  El SalvadorMay 8, 2015
Peace Corps is a great opportunity for young professionals to gain a new perspective, develop relevant job skills and affect change on a grassroots level.
Peace Corps takes care of their own
Regional Recruiter and Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2015
Peace Corps is a great place to grow and thrive professionally. They treat all employees with respect and work to create a healthy professional environment.
Federal Government
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2014
I worked with the supervisor as an administrative assistant for three months. With my knowledege and coursework that I have contributed to the federal government, it gave me insight of what the different point of view with my collegaue, and we discussed the different ideas regarding deaf accessability, frequent meetings, I managed scheduled for my boss and other staff in the office. I published the newsletter regarding issues with diversity and inclusion at government. I had also worked with other private and federal sectors in the past. As an adminitrative assistant, it is always challenege, but it is fun to learn new things. I had only interned, so there were not much regarding pros and cons.
Truly a life-long achievement.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mampong, Ghana, West AfricaJuly 29, 2014
The Peace Corps gave me the tools to succeed at an international level. I have grown so much through the opportunity that the Peace Corps has given me. My skills in communications were realized and my talents were able to be used with remarkable results on the host country nationals. I will always remember the lives that I have touched and the people of Africa that have supported me and gave me support on my future going forward.
Cultural Experience of a Lifetime
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ghana, West AfricaJune 25, 2014
The Peace Corps was really the toughest job that I have ever loved. It was a wonderful experience. My job consisted of cultural exchange. Teaching at schools and community meetings about health and hygeine practices.

I learned new languages and many other skills related to being in a foreign country.

My fellow volunteers were great and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was the intense heat and humidity of living in a West African Country.

I enjoyed every part of the job.
Pros
the experience of a lifetime
Cons
heat, humidity, and mosquitos
The toughest job you'll ever love
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  PanamaMay 4, 2014
I lived and worked in an indigenous village without electricity in rural Panama for two years. My primary project was teaching English but much of my work involved working with locals to find and address their pressing needs. With this, I was able to write a grant and help fund a solar panel project, work to improve cook stoves, youth development, gardening, among other projects. The Peace Corps is not so much a job as an experience where you are daily challenged and pushed to do your best and to look back and see the difference that you made in others' lives.
This has been an amazing experience.
Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  Togue, KedougouJuly 18, 2014
Through speaking Fula (Pulaar), I work with Senegalese locals in my small community to improve agricultural techniques as well as implement other projects that would benefit those around me. These projects fall into sectors including agriculture, agroforestry, health, and community and economic development.
Learned skills beyond my expectations.
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jiang You, ChinaFebruary 27, 2014
The Peace Corps states, "The toughest job you'll ever love." That is so true. I was a TEFL teacher but saw so many other needs in the community. I started a women's group. I participated with my students and others in Leadership workshops for women. I was a career counselor for my students. I love living and working with other cultures. The Peace Corps gives an individual an opportunity to truly immerse in another culture.
Pros
live and work in another culture.
Cons
china was very polluted.
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work.
Pros
the appreciation and love of others
Cons
the weather and insects
An amazing experience everyone should try
Trainee-Sierra Leone (Former Employee) –  Sierra LeoneNovember 11, 2014
Peace Corps changed my life. Every day was an adventure. Experiencing a different culture by living with a host family and teaching English to the children of that country was an amazing and sobering experience.
English Education and Youth Development
English Education and Youth Development (Former Employee) –  Republic of GeorgiaAugust 13, 2013
Nothing was typical about this job. My main task was to teach English to elementary, middle, and high school students in the village school. When I wasn't teaching, I was holding English clubs, a variety of camps, building and English classroom in my school, writing grants, project management, learning the Georgian language and about Georgian culture, and being an American Ambassador 24 hours a day.

4.5