Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

The toughest job you'll ever love.
Volunteer (Former Employee), MacedoniaSeptember 24, 2013
Your alone a lot. The people you were assigned to work with don't always want you. Nobody is managing you so your daily motivation has to come from yourself. The only people that are consistently reliable are other volunteers, but they don't always live near you. Yet somehow you make it happen. You make it work.
Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee), Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment – more... site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in. – less
English Education and Youth Development
English Education and Youth Development (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaAugust 13, 2013
Nothing was typical about this job. My main task was to teach English to elementary, middle, and high school students in the village school. When I wasn't teaching, I was holding English clubs, a variety of camps, building and English classroom in my school, writing grants, project management, learning the Georgian language and about Georgian culture, – more... and being an American Ambassador 24 hours a day. – less
toughest job you'll ever love
Ecotourism & Development Leader (Former Employee), San AndrĂ©s Xecul, GuatemalaAugust 5, 2013
There is no typical work day. You will be taken out of your element in every way and forced to use your own creativity and drive to make whatever projects you're interested in happen. All in another language! I loved all of my fellow volunteers and know that I have made friends for life.
Health benefits are excellent. The money is adequate for a volunteer. A lot is learned about other cultures.
Health Education and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Morocco, INJune 19, 2013
Pros: meeting new people experiencing a new culture and traveling
Cons: loneliness and boredom
There is no typical day at work. Each day is a different chapter and anything can happen or nothing at all.

I learned that people are more alike than different. I learned that there are always two ways of looking at something.

Manage your time by what is important. Manage people by giving them what they need only if it is what they want.

My co-workers – more... were my counterparts. They gave me feed back and were a real comfort and a real asset to reaching goals.

The hardest part of the job was learning to get by with not understanding everything that was said or done. To just let it flow.

The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling welcome and needed. And experiencing a whole new culture, country, food, music and people. – less
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee), Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Pros: you do good for others, personal growth
Cons: isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
The most rewarding and challenging experience of my life.
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCMay 30, 2013
It was well worth the hardships to learn about myself and to help others.
An experience that I encourage everyone to try.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaApril 23, 2013
My typical day included teaching English to rural children, working with local social organizations, interacting with people in the community, and going through language training.
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee), World WideMarch 15, 2013
Pros: travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons: mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
Micro-Credit Project in Africa
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee), Cidade Velha, Cape VerdeFebruary 27, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of my work was making a visible difference in people's lives. I learned what it takes to lead and manage a project in another country. I worked independently and within a team. The most rewarding work was to implement innovative techniques to sow the seeds for institutional change in Cape Verde.
Wonderful Experience
Small Business Consultant (Former Employee), Togo, West AfricaJanuary 14, 2013
Can be a little overwhelming on your own and the level of support by administration will vary by country, but overall a worthwhile experience and great opportunity for self growth.
High school wood shop instructor
High School Industrial Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Antigua, Eastern CaribbeanDecember 1, 2012
Pros: learned a great deal about a different culture.
Spent 4 yrs, traveled during the summer, learned a great about the different culture. Enjoyed teaching wood working. It was challenging and yet rewarding.
Director of Public Affairs at the Peace Corps
Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: seniority.
Cons: infighting.
I was in a position, as a political appointee, to supervise 41 employees who were "inherited" by an interagency merger with another organization. The Director of the Peace Corps counted on me for all media inquiries in this sensitive time, and I had a full secret service status to receive cables from overseas about volunteers and international agencies. – more... Constituent services for the Director and Deputy Director were at a premium while the agency went through budget battles and faced extinction from the far right on Capitol Hill. The President gave the agency 100% support and we were able to continue our work with more effectiveness than ever.
I was in a postiion of seniority so I learned a great deal about management. The hardest part was infighting among staff. The best part was fulfillment for having my ideas respected and implemented. – less
The toughest job you'll ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eastern Caroline IslandsOctober 1, 2012
Pros: adventure and sense of accomplishment
Cons: difficulty relating to local men because of their attitudes toward women
The training was very thorough, so several months were spent both in country and in the United States, learning cultural values and how to adjust to life in a developing country and language. These days were in classrooms and in small seminars and on field trips.

The management was good except when it came to training in country where it was sometimes – more... difficult for local trainers to behave appropriately toward American women.

Co-workers were good people.

The hardest part was dealing with the boredom and sense of alienation, of not being able to make a plan for your future at home that you could work on where you were.

The most enjoyable part was traveling around the countryside with your local family and your fellow volunteers. Also talking one on one with locals and doing things with them was wonderful. – less
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Pros: everything included
Cons: you need to know how to budget
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
Hardest Job you'll ever love
Environmental Educator and Community Developer (Former Employee), MoroccoJuly 8, 2012
The experience is what you make it! Being a Volunteer in Morocco was amazing and couldn't of asked for more from my Peace Corps experience.
An adventure
Rural Health Development and Education (Former Employee), Tata, MoroccoJune 11, 2012
Peace Corps uproots you and puts you in another country that needs your expertise. You learn their language, values, and culture and they learn yours. Overall, changing you from the inside out to become a better person and a better member of society.

It's impossible to write about your daily life because everyone's is drastically different. I had electricity – more... and water, a lot of other locations do not. – less
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
Pros: great people, benefits and work environment
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Pros: unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons: application process is very long. low salary
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you – more... will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries. – less
Great Experience
Secondary English Teacher (Former Employee), CambodiaNovember 11, 2014
It was a challenging and rewarding experience in which I developed cross-cultural competencies by interacting with community members in the local language.

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more