Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Federal Government
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2014
I worked with the supervisor as an administrative assistant for three months. With my knowledege and coursework that I have contributed to the federal government, it gave me insight of what the different point of view with my collegaue, and we discussed the different ideas regarding deaf accessability, frequent meetings, I managed scheduled for my boss and other staff in the office. I published the newsletter regarding issues with diversity and inclusion at government. I had also worked with other private and federal sectors in the past. As an adminitrative assistant, it is always challenege, but it is fun to learn new things. I had only interned, so there were not much regarding pros and cons.
Learn a new language, see the world, and help those in need.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ak-Dobo, Bakai-Ata Rayon, Talas Oblast, KyrgyzstanSeptember 5, 2014
One of the greatest experiences you will ever have in your life. You will learn a new language with a proficiency and applicability that will rival any other. You will meet, interact, and live within a culture and society that people at home will not believe or equivocate. You will help people who have had very little opportunity in life and/or education to aspire to be greater than they first believed, to open themselves to new experiences, and a wealth of knowledge and insight that only someone like you could bring.
Pros
New Langauge, travel, and job satisfaction. Really making a difference.
Cons
Lonely. Your health will most likely suffer. No pay. Future depends on US Government strength.
Truly a life-long achievement.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mampong, Ghana, West AfricaJuly 29, 2014
The Peace Corps gave me the tools to succeed at an international level. I have grown so much through the opportunity that the Peace Corps has given me. My skills in communications were realized and my talents were able to be used with remarkable results on the host country nationals. I will always remember the lives that I have touched and the people of Africa that have supported me and gave me support on my future going forward.
Cultural Experience of a Lifetime
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ghana, West AfricaJune 25, 2014
The Peace Corps was really the toughest job that I have ever loved. It was a wonderful experience. My job consisted of cultural exchange. Teaching at schools and community meetings about health and hygeine practices.

I learned new languages and many other skills related to being in a foreign country.

My fellow volunteers were great and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was the intense heat and humidity of living in a West African Country.

I enjoyed every part of the job.
Pros
The experience of a lifetime
Cons
Heat, humidity, and mosquitos
Teaching English
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 22, 2015
I was immersed in a community and lived with a host family worked with students and teachers. It was an incredible oppurtunity and it was like working 24 hours a day, learned about the people in my community and was able to use my skills to make lesson plans that pushed my student to learn english.
The toughest job you'll ever love
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  PanamaMay 4, 2014
I lived and worked in an indigenous village without electricity in rural Panama for two years. My primary project was teaching English but much of my work involved working with locals to find and address their pressing needs. With this, I was able to write a grant and help fund a solar panel project, work to improve cook stoves, youth development, gardening, among other projects. The Peace Corps is not so much a job as an experience where you are daily challenged and pushed to do your best and to look back and see the difference that you made in others' lives.
Learned skills beyond my expectations.
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jiang You, ChinaFebruary 27, 2014
The Peace Corps states, "The toughest job you'll ever love." That is so true. I was a TEFL teacher but saw so many other needs in the community. I started a women's group. I participated with my students and others in Leadership workshops for women. I was a career counselor for my students. I love living and working with other cultures. The Peace Corps gives an individual an opportunity to truly immerse in another culture.
Pros
Live and work in another culture.
Cons
China was very polluted.
English Education and Youth Development
English Education and Youth Development (Former Employee) –  Republic of GeorgiaAugust 13, 2013
Nothing was typical about this job. My main task was to teach English to elementary, middle, and high school students in the village school. When I wasn't teaching, I was holding English clubs, a variety of camps, building and English classroom in my school, writing grants, project management, learning the Georgian language and about Georgian culture, and being an American Ambassador 24 hours a day.
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work.
Pros
the appreciation and love of others
Cons
the weather and insects
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
Pros
You do good for others, Personal Growth
Cons
Isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
engaging, productive environment
Project Manager/Security Controller Assessor (SCA) (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.May 28, 2015
A typical work day includes, reviewing of current projects, conduct assessment of NIST documentations (800-53, 800-53A, 800-37, etc) report to management of status of current projects.
Pros
Ability to work with others
Cons
not enough time to complete task in a day
Working for the Peace Corps is what you make of it. It will have its difficulties, but the work will feel satisfying.
Educator (Former Employee) –  PanamaAugust 14, 2013
Right away you will need to lower your expectations for what you will be able to achieve in your time there. You are not there to fix all the issues in the world. That cannot be done in your position as a Peace Corps volunteer in your community. What can be done is connecting with your community members, learning a bit here and there, while sharing some of your own life with them. This is the most satisfying part of the job, where you get the opportunity to live in a completely different culture, yet share the most basic connections.
Pros
Free healthcare, international experience, language acquisition, flexible hours
Cons
low pay, disconnected from previous life, disconnected from comforts
Promote Peace Corps to the Campus Community
Peace Corps Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Pitsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
If you are interested in Peace Corps, this is a great place to start. You learn about the application process, can network with past returned volunteers, and encourage new volunteers to apply.
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
great people, benefits and work environment
This has been an amazing experience.
Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  Togue, KedougouJuly 18, 2014
Through speaking Fula (Pulaar), I work with Senegalese locals in my small community to improve agricultural techniques as well as implement other projects that would benefit those around me. These projects fall into sectors including agriculture, agroforestry, health, and community and economic development.
The toughest job you'll ever love
Youth Development Facilitator (Former Employee) –  PeruNovember 6, 2013
A "typical day" in Peace Corps is hard to sum up, as everybody has a different experience and everyday brought new challenges, adventures, and learning experiences.

Peace Corps tests your inner strength, perseverance, your ideas of cultural norms and the world, and your intestinal lining.

Flexibility, patience, self-motivation and direction are all qualities a Peace Corps Volunteer must learn during their time in service. "Going with the flow" as well as being assertive are two characteristics you develop fast.

The hardest part was feeling like I didn't do enough.

The best part was not just working in a community, but becoming a part of it.
Pros
Experience of a lifetime, lifelong friendships, cross-cultural exchange
Cons
Illness, parasites, uncertainty about projects, having to leave after 2 years.
work all over the world learning new skills and interacting with new peoples,cultures, religions.
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Gambia, West fricaJuly 6, 2015
Depending on which country you work in, and where you work, the roles and responsibilities vary greatly. However, if you are open, goal oriented, hardworking and flexible, you will have a good experience. You will learn about a new culture, and all the aspects of working in it. You will also have the opportunity to learn some hard and soft skills, and practice them in some of the most challenging yet interesting settings possible. Other co-workers become your friends and ultimately, your family as you share experiences, advice and skills that are crucial t your success. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely getting your use your skills, education and expertise in the most creative way possible in order to solve local problems.
Pros
organizational support, committed collegues, healtcare, wonderful work experince, flexibility in work time and schedule
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  World WideMarch 15, 2013
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
Pros
travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons
mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
Micro-Credit Project in Africa
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cidade Velha, Cape VerdeFebruary 27, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of my work was making a visible difference in people's lives. I learned what it takes to lead and manage a project in another country. I worked independently and within a team. The most rewarding work was to implement innovative techniques to sow the seeds for institutional change in Cape Verde.
Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peace Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6