Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

The most rewarding and challenging experience of my life.
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCMay 30, 2013
It was well worth the hardships to learn about myself and to help others.
An experience that I encourage everyone to try.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaApril 23, 2013
My typical day included teaching English to rural children, working with local social organizations, interacting with people in the community, and going through language training.
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee), World WideMarch 15, 2013
Pros: travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons: mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
Micro-Credit Project in Africa
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee), Cidade Velha, Cape VerdeFebruary 27, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of my work was making a visible difference in people's lives. I learned what it takes to lead and manage a project in another country. I worked independently and within a team. The most rewarding work was to implement innovative techniques to sow the seeds for institutional change in Cape Verde.
Wonderful Experience
Small Business Consultant (Former Employee), Togo, West AfricaJanuary 14, 2013
Can be a little overwhelming on your own and the level of support by administration will vary by country, but overall a worthwhile experience and great opportunity for self growth.
High school wood shop instructor
High School Industrial Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Antigua, Eastern CaribbeanDecember 1, 2012
Pros: learned a great deal about a different culture.
Spent 4 yrs, traveled during the summer, learned a great about the different culture. Enjoyed teaching wood working. It was challenging and yet rewarding.
Director of Public Affairs at the Peace Corps
Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: seniority.
Cons: infighting.
I was in a position, as a political appointee, to supervise 41 employees who were "inherited" by an interagency merger with another organization. The Director of the Peace Corps counted on me for all media inquiries in this sensitive time, and I had a full secret service status to receive cables from overseas about volunteers and international agencies. – more... Constituent services for the Director and Deputy Director were at a premium while the agency went through budget battles and faced extinction from the far right on Capitol Hill. The President gave the agency 100% support and we were able to continue our work with more effectiveness than ever.
I was in a postiion of seniority so I learned a great deal about management. The hardest part was infighting among staff. The best part was fulfillment for having my ideas respected and implemented. – less
The toughest job you'll ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eastern Caroline IslandsOctober 1, 2012
Pros: adventure and sense of accomplishment
Cons: difficulty relating to local men because of their attitudes toward women
The training was very thorough, so several months were spent both in country and in the United States, learning cultural values and how to adjust to life in a developing country and language. These days were in classrooms and in small seminars and on field trips.

The management was good except when it came to training in country where it was sometimes – more... difficult for local trainers to behave appropriately toward American women.

Co-workers were good people.

The hardest part was dealing with the boredom and sense of alienation, of not being able to make a plan for your future at home that you could work on where you were.

The most enjoyable part was traveling around the countryside with your local family and your fellow volunteers. Also talking one on one with locals and doing things with them was wonderful. – less
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Pros: everything included
Cons: you need to know how to budget
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
Hardest Job you'll ever love
Environmental Educator and Community Developer (Former Employee), MoroccoJuly 8, 2012
The experience is what you make it! Being a Volunteer in Morocco was amazing and couldn't of asked for more from my Peace Corps experience.
An adventure
Rural Health Development and Education (Former Employee), Tata, MoroccoJune 11, 2012
Peace Corps uproots you and puts you in another country that needs your expertise. You learn their language, values, and culture and they learn yours. Overall, changing you from the inside out to become a better person and a better member of society.

It's impossible to write about your daily life because everyone's is drastically different. I had electricity – more... and water, a lot of other locations do not. – less
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
Pros: great people, benefits and work environment
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Pros: unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons: application process is very long. low salary
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you – more... will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries. – less
Challenging but rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee), LesothoJuly 14, 2014
Pros: experience, build a new home and relationships that will last forever, made me a more thoughtful and critical person
Cons: work might be unreliable, adjusting to a very different environment, far from friends and familiarity
Truly one of the best experiences of my life. I learned so much about myself and others.

Training was sufficient to prepare me for the work I would be doing.

Staff were kind, considerate, and cared about the volunteers' needs and success. From the beginning (recruitment, application, country/site placement) to the end (wrapping up, going over reverse – more... culture shock), HQ and country staff made themselves available for any concerns and questions we would have.

Daily challenges were expected as part of the work. Some days were indeed very difficult, but as a whole experience, the pros/benefits/relationships made the whole time worthwhile. – less
English Instructor
English Instructor, (Former Employee), Fes MoroccoJune 22, 2014
taught ESL to Moroccan High School Students. Coached basketball. Traveled across North Africa by train
A life changing event everyone should do.
Educational Volunteer (Former Employee), Ghana, AfricaJune 5, 2014
After a long successful career as a copywriter in the most creative ad agencies in San Diego, then later several successful and "sleepless" years as a Creative Director in the "L.A. ad game", I decided it was time to take my only life chance at a hiatus before I burned out. It was the best decision I have ever made. I not only recharged my creative – more... batteries and learned how to overcome any challenge, but I also received a much deep understanding of culture, communication, and myself. – less
Tough Service, Great Satisfaction
English Language Teacher and Trainer (Former Employee), MadagascarApril 29, 2014
Pros: no other job will ever be quite like it.
Cons: mentally challenging.
Its the Peace Corps--its longevity and prevalence in America's psyche speaks for itself. I've never known a former volunteer who regretted their service. Even those people who quit before 2 years are able to find value in their experience.
Productive youth and community service learning project
Volunteer (Former Employee), Santo Domingo, Dominican RepublicApril 17, 2014
Pros: excellent working environments, caring staff and personnel
Cons: healthcare
Use sports and artistic activities as a catalyst for personal development, healthy habits and team building
Organizing life skills training for positive decision making, conflict resolution, raising awareness about HIV/AIDS, teen pregnancy and gender
Forming boys/girls groups and promoting gender and leadership training
Training in health education – more... issues and HIV prevention
Promoting positive parenting and communication to reduce conflict
Supporting Service Learning projects
Forming Parenting groups with community leaders
Brining in specialist skills to work with girls, boys, and youth at risk
Working to strengthen NGOs and youth groups – less
The toughest job I'll ever love.
Peace Corps Volunteer: TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), UkraineApril 10, 2014
Pros: international education exposure, foreign methodologies, very active students, freedom in lessons
Cons: communication errors due to language barriers with ukrainian colleagues
On a typical work day, I would teach at the local school with grades 7-11. I taught every day in Ukrainian and English and typically taught alone or occasionally with a Ukrainian English teacher. I implemented two English Clubs, an after-school tutoring program and helped at school events. I planned lessons independently and worked with a team of four – more... Ukrainian teachers of English.

I learned how to really apply my learned methodologies from student teaching into a foreign classroom. I also learned how to differentiate with a group of students learning English as a foreign language. My overall skills and experience grew from the time spent in my school and the local village schools.

I played in integral part in the management of the English Department alongside my Ukrainian colleagues. I had a main "counterpart" with whom I planned lessons, made schedule changes and coordinated curriculum and test schedules.

I worked primarily with three very experienced Ukrainian English teachers and occasionally worked with the three new teachers who were hired only one year before myself. We worked great as a team when planning events in school such as "English Week" and "Olympiads." I and my colleagues gave constructive criticism to one another and substituted for each other when necessary.

The hardest part of my job was serving in "an area of hardship." Peace Corps send us to live and work in an area which needs the help and occasionally the weather or lack of the school amenities we are lucky to have in America sometimes caused irritation. In the end, however I learned to adapt and actually ended up teaching two workshops to incoming volunteers about working with limited resources in Peace Corps.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my students. They could make me so proud and remember daily why I went into the teaching field. They were so active and eager to learn and worked hard. I also loved the overall experience of teaching overseas in a foreign country with innovative youth. – less
HIV/AIDS Community Health Specialist
National Peace Corps Camp Director (Former Employee), Kara, Togo, West AfricaApril 9, 2014
Pros: changing the world
Cons: illness
I lived in rural West Africa for two years with no running water or electricity in heat ranging from 95F-115F. I contracted malaria five times as well as several other diseases.

I loved it. It was an incredibly life altering experience and I found out what I was made of. Nothing has ever pushed me to grow as a person more. The people you encounter – more... and the lives that they lead puts the entire world into perspective and you begin to see everything differently.

I managed nation wide projects involving over 15 other non-profit organizations, I acted as an advisor to the executive director of a HIV/AIDS clinic in Togo. I wrote grants, I evaluated programs, I mitigated conflicts, and taught professional development seminars on a weekly basis to a staff of thirty (in a mix of French and local language).

Peace Corps made me the person I am today. The volunteers I trained with and shared my service with are the closest thing I have to a real family. – less

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more