Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

The Adventure of a Lifetime
Community Enterprise Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Njinikom, CameroonNovember 20, 2013
Pros: great location
Cons: no cheese
Most recently, I completed my service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon where I worked in Community Enterprise Development. As a peace corps volunteer your are responsible for representing the United States and American culture in your host country. You are therefore thrust into a leadership role in the community. Part of my duties as a volunteer – more... was relationship management and prioritization. I worked closely with senior government officials and community organizations on development projects, allocating limited resources in highly impoverished areas. This is a delicate process that is dependent on relationship management. It is my hope that I can use the skills and experiences gained through my service in my future career. – less
The toughest job you'll ever love
Youth Development Facilitator (Former Employee), PeruNovember 6, 2013
Pros: experience of a lifetime, lifelong friendships, cross-cultural exchange
Cons: illness, parasites, uncertainty about projects, having to leave after 2 years.
A "typical day" in Peace Corps is hard to sum up, as everybody has a different experience and everyday brought new challenges, adventures, and learning experiences.

Peace Corps tests your inner strength, perseverance, your ideas of cultural norms and the world, and your intestinal lining.

Flexibility, patience, self-motivation and direction are all – more... qualities a Peace Corps Volunteer must learn during their time in service. "Going with the flow" as well as being assertive are two characteristics you develop fast.

The hardest part was feeling like I didn't do enough.

The best part was not just working in a community, but becoming a part of it. – less
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee), Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
Pros: great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons: my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood – more... stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day. – less
Volunteering
Community and Organizational Development Adviser (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 8, 2013
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: out ofus for 2 years
Great adventure , but hard work. Work is very rewarding. It is volunteer work, so not much pay.
The toughest job you'll ever love.
Volunteer (Former Employee), MacedoniaSeptember 24, 2013
Your alone a lot. The people you were assigned to work with don't always want you. Nobody is managing you so your daily motivation has to come from yourself. The only people that are consistently reliable are other volunteers, but they don't always live near you. Yet somehow you make it happen. You make it work.
Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee), Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment – more... site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in. – less
English Education and Youth Development
English Education and Youth Development (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaAugust 13, 2013
Nothing was typical about this job. My main task was to teach English to elementary, middle, and high school students in the village school. When I wasn't teaching, I was holding English clubs, a variety of camps, building and English classroom in my school, writing grants, project management, learning the Georgian language and about Georgian culture, – more... and being an American Ambassador 24 hours a day. – less
Good experience in global field.
Volunteer Leader (Former Employee), MadagascarAugust 9, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: job description structure
Good organization for the independent employee and inquisitive researcher.
Peace Corps
Volunteer (Former Employee), UkraineAugust 7, 2013
It is one of the hardest, challenging jobs but I loved every moment of it.
Lived in my community and gained respect of the school I workd with
toughest job you'll ever love
Ecotourism & Development Leader (Former Employee), San Andrés Xecul, GuatemalaAugust 5, 2013
There is no typical work day. You will be taken out of your element in every way and forced to use your own creativity and drive to make whatever projects you're interested in happen. All in another language! I loved all of my fellow volunteers and know that I have made friends for life.
Health benefits are excellent. The money is adequate for a volunteer. A lot is learned about other cultures.
Health Education and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Morocco, INJune 19, 2013
Pros: meeting new people experiencing a new culture and traveling
Cons: loneliness and boredom
There is no typical day at work. Each day is a different chapter and anything can happen or nothing at all.

I learned that people are more alike than different. I learned that there are always two ways of looking at something.

Manage your time by what is important. Manage people by giving them what they need only if it is what they want.

My co-workers – more... were my counterparts. They gave me feed back and were a real comfort and a real asset to reaching goals.

The hardest part of the job was learning to get by with not understanding everything that was said or done. To just let it flow.

The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling welcome and needed. And experiencing a whole new culture, country, food, music and people. – less
The Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
MATHEMATICS & PHYSICS TEACHER (Former Employee), TanzaniaJune 13, 2013
I learned how to be competent in another culture thanks to all of the training in cross-cultural studies and language that I received. I made amazing friends with the other volunteers and had and incredibly rewarding experience!
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee), Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Pros: you do good for others, personal growth
Cons: isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
Worked in Fiji as a Health Education Extension Agent
Health Education Extension Agent (Former Employee), FijiJune 3, 2013
Pros: amazing cultural experience
Cons: was thrown into a village after barely three weeks of training
Peace Corps is an individualized experience. While there were times when I had the opportunity to see my fellow volunteers and superiors, mostly I lived alone in a village of 900 on the top of a mountain in Fiji. I worked from scratch with little knowledge of the culture nor of the dynamics of village life. It was hard and took time but eventually I – more... managed to develop productive relationships, beneficial programs and maintained a schedule that I believed would be sustainable. The hardest part of the job was the solitude while the best part of the job was developing promising plans to help my local villagers with health issues such as heart disease and poor eating habits. – less
Peace Corps Bulgaria
Volunteer (Former Employee), BulgariaJune 3, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: away from home for 2 years
Best experience of my life. Loved every second of my two years there.

ISHristova – June 27, 2013

Hi there, I´m interested in going to Bulgaria through the Peace Corps. Can you tell me what you liked/didn´t like? Which city were you in? Was the pay good enough to live or did you need to find extra finances?

The most rewarding and challenging experience of my life.
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCMay 30, 2013
It was well worth the hardships to learn about myself and to help others.
An experience that I encourage everyone to try.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaApril 23, 2013
My typical day included teaching English to rural children, working with local social organizations, interacting with people in the community, and going through language training.
Great training programs
Preventive Health Technician (Former Employee), GuatemalaApril 15, 2013
Well-respected programs in the host country, and great training programs. The langugage training is especially terrific. Attention to sustainability is important to the organization.
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee), World WideMarch 15, 2013
Pros: travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons: mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
The Best Challenges
Teacher of English as a Foreign Language (Former Employee), Rushaki, RwandaFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: travel, language training, culture training
Cons: difficult living conditions
As a Peace Corps volunteer I was entrusted with the American peoples good will towards their fellow global citizens. Although my service in Mauritania was cut short by terrorist insurgencies, I was no deterred in my dedication and selected to help restart the program in Rwanda after so many absent years following the 1994 genocide. Although the monthly – more... allocation of funds is adequate to live on in the local economy, it certainly requires a labor of love to perform the duties required with essentially no pay. – less

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more