Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employee Reviews

Learned skills beyond my expectations.
TEFL Teacher (Former Employee), Jiang You, ChinaFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: live and work in another culture.
Cons: china was very polluted.
The Peace Corps states, "The toughest job you'll ever love." That is so true. I was a TEFL teacher but saw so many other needs in the community. I started a women's group. I participated with my students and others in Leadership workshops for women. I was a career counselor for my students. I love living and working with other cultures. The Peace Corps gives an individual an opportunity to truly immerse in another culture.
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee), Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: the appreciation and love of others
Cons: the weather and insects
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work.
The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love
Education Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: healthcare is 100% across the board, doctors were amazing, training team is amazing
Cons: the living stipend was barely enough to live
Every day was different. I would go to school and co-teach students with a local counterpart. It was a challenge because most of the locals are not motivated and you have to help them find their inspirations, which is also very rewarding. Management was very fair and let volunteers be autonomous with support when needed. The other volunteers are not hippies like a lot of people think. Most are all there to figure out their place in the world. The groups of volunteers are diverse from new grads to in their 70s. The hardest part was not fitting into the local culture and not being able to express who I was. The most rewarding comes after your service when you get to see those whose lives you touched achieving their dreams.
Intern
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2013
Working at Peace Corps headquater office in DC is a great expereince, and I have also learned how to work with staff.
The toughest job you'll ever love
Youth Development Facilitator (Former Employee), PeruNovember 6, 2013
Pros: experience of a lifetime, lifelong friendships, cross-cultural exchange
Cons: illness, parasites, uncertainty about projects, having to leave after 2 years.
A "typical day" in Peace Corps is hard to sum up, as everybody has a different experience and everyday brought new challenges, adventures, and learning experiences.

Peace Corps tests your inner strength, perseverance, your ideas of cultural norms and the world, and your intestinal lining.

Flexibility, patience, self-motivation and direction are all qualities a Peace Corps Volunteer must learn during their time in service. "Going with the flow" as well as being assertive are two characteristics you develop fast.

The hardest part was feeling like I didn't do enough.

The best part was not just working in a community, but becoming a part of it.
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee), Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
Pros: great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons: my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day.
Volunteering
Community and Organizational Development Adviser (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 8, 2013
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: out ofus for 2 years
Great adventure , but hard work. Work is very rewarding. It is volunteer work, so not much pay.
The toughest job you'll ever love.
Volunteer (Former Employee), MacedoniaSeptember 24, 2013
Your alone a lot. The people you were assigned to work with don't always want you. Nobody is managing you so your daily motivation has to come from yourself. The only people that are consistently reliable are other volunteers, but they don't always live near you. Yet somehow you make it happen. You make it work.
Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee), Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in.
English Education and Youth Development
English Education and Youth Development (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaAugust 13, 2013
Nothing was typical about this job. My main task was to teach English to elementary, middle, and high school students in the village school. When I wasn't teaching, I was holding English clubs, a variety of camps, building and English classroom in my school, writing grants, project management, learning the Georgian language and about Georgian culture, and being an American Ambassador 24 hours a day.
toughest job you'll ever love
Ecotourism & Development Leader (Former Employee), San Andrés Xecul, GuatemalaAugust 5, 2013
There is no typical work day. You will be taken out of your element in every way and forced to use your own creativity and drive to make whatever projects you're interested in happen. All in another language! I loved all of my fellow volunteers and know that I have made friends for life.
Health benefits are excellent. The money is adequate for a volunteer. A lot is learned about other cultures.
Health Education and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Morocco, INJune 19, 2013
Pros: meeting new people experiencing a new culture and traveling
Cons: loneliness and boredom
There is no typical day at work. Each day is a different chapter and anything can happen or nothing at all.

I learned that people are more alike than different. I learned that there are always two ways of looking at something.

Manage your time by what is important. Manage people by giving them what they need only if it is what they want.

My co-workers were my counterparts. They gave me feed back and were a real comfort and a real asset to reaching goals.

The hardest part of the job was learning to get by with not understanding everything that was said or done. To just let it flow.

The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling welcome and needed. And experiencing a whole new culture, country, food, music and people.
Hardest job you'll ever love
Preventive Health Educator (Former Employee), Senegal, West AfricaJune 3, 2013
Pros: you do good for others, personal growth
Cons: isolation, dealing with racism and small mindedness, low salary
Amazing experience - a chance to do some good while going through tremendous personal growth. Self motivation, leadership, adaptability, language learning... the list is nearly endless.
Also one of the toughest jobs, dealing with huge frustrations, isolation, racism and many more things.
The most rewarding and challenging experience of my life.
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCMay 30, 2013
It was well worth the hardships to learn about myself and to help others.
An experience that I encourage everyone to try.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), Republic of GeorgiaApril 23, 2013
My typical day included teaching English to rural children, working with local social organizations, interacting with people in the community, and going through language training.
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee), World WideMarch 15, 2013
Pros: travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons: mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
Micro-Credit Project in Africa
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee), Cidade Velha, Cape VerdeFebruary 27, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of my work was making a visible difference in people's lives. I learned what it takes to lead and manage a project in another country. I worked independently and within a team. The most rewarding work was to implement innovative techniques to sow the seeds for institutional change in Cape Verde.
Wonderful Experience
Small Business Consultant (Former Employee), Togo, West AfricaJanuary 14, 2013
Can be a little overwhelming on your own and the level of support by administration will vary by country, but overall a worthwhile experience and great opportunity for self growth.
High school wood shop instructor
High School Industrial Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Antigua, Eastern CaribbeanDecember 1, 2012
Pros: learned a great deal about a different culture.
Spent 4 yrs, traveled during the summer, learned a great about the different culture. Enjoyed teaching wood working. It was challenging and yet rewarding.
Director of Public Affairs at the Peace Corps
Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: seniority.
Cons: infighting.
I was in a position, as a political appointee, to supervise 41 employees who were "inherited" by an interagency merger with another organization. The Director of the Peace Corps counted on me for all media inquiries in this sensitive time, and I had a full secret service status to receive cables from overseas about volunteers and international agencies. Constituent services for the Director and Deputy Director were at a premium while the agency went through budget battles and faced extinction from the far right on Capitol Hill. The President gave the agency 100% support and we were able to continue our work with more effectiveness than ever.
I was in a postiion of seniority so I learned a great deal about management. The hardest part was infighting among staff. The best part was fulfillment for having my ideas respected and implemented.
Industry