Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

Great balanced work environment
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), León, GUAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: balance among health, education, work, and play...
Cons: has some burecratic implications
Great Life experience... Learning and observing and living in another culture is a critical part of a balanced life...
The toughest job you'll ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eastern Caroline IslandsOctober 1, 2012
Pros: adventure and sense of accomplishment
Cons: difficulty relating to local men because of their attitudes toward women
The training was very thorough, so several months were spent both in country and in the United States, learning cultural values and how to adjust to life in a developing country and language. These days were in classrooms and in small seminars and on field trips.

The management was good except when it came to training in country where it was sometimes – more... difficult for local trainers to behave appropriately toward American women.

Co-workers were good people.

The hardest part was dealing with the boredom and sense of alienation, of not being able to make a plan for your future at home that you could work on where you were.

The most enjoyable part was traveling around the countryside with your local family and your fellow volunteers. Also talking one on one with locals and doing things with them was wonderful. – less
Exciting Volunteer overseas in Benin, Africa
Volunteer in Benin (Former Employee), Cotonou, Benin, West AfricaSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: the people, the culture, the experience
Cons: quality of life, sickness
I lived in Benin, West Africa for 2 months for the purposes of developing a connection with the local people while learning the culture myself. My department, specifically, was Environmental Action, which allowed me to learn certain agricultural and water conservation techniques. But the greatest quality I received from that experience was the ability – more... to be self-motivated and to learn quickly. Being Intermediate in French also helps too. I did have to return early to the United States because of a medical issue. – less
Peace Corps, the toughest job you will ever love.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), UkraineAugust 22, 2012
Peace Corps allows people to find confidence they never knew they had. This organization, which just marked it's 50th anniversary, is a valuable asset for international security and relations. I firmly believe in this organization and it's volunteers, and the positive impact it has on its host countries of service. It builds relationships overseas, – more... encourages partnership in a variety of sectors, and promotes peace and friendship throughout the world.
This experience has made me more aware of what I am capable of. Peace Corps is the ultimate volunteer experience. It tests your limits and pushes you to be something greater than yourself. Extending beyond the call of duty and establishing relationships that will bring about a new way of seeing people and the world. – less
Life changing experience.
Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Haisyn, UkraineAugust 11, 2012
An interesting and challenging experience. I wish not to review this experience.
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Pros: everything included
Cons: you need to know how to budget
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
The most challenging job I have ever loved.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chaiyaphum, ThailandJuly 28, 2012
Everyday was different, never routine. I learned project management, community development, among many other lessons. My co-workers included fellow villagers, town hall officials, volunteers, and government officials. The hardest part of the job was being sick, and the best part of the job was making friendships.
Productive and fun work place
Peace Corp Adjuant (Former Employee), ILE IFE,OSUN STATE,NIGERIAJuly 20, 2012
Great organisation to work for, learnt alot from this company,and help alot of people in the community
Hardest Job you'll ever love
Environmental Educator and Community Developer (Former Employee), MoroccoJuly 8, 2012
The experience is what you make it! Being a Volunteer in Morocco was amazing and couldn't of asked for more from my Peace Corps experience.
Peace Corps Costa Rica
Rural Community Development Facilitator (Former Employee), Costa RicaJune 11, 2012
Pros: got to know a foreign culture, learned spanish, met incredible people.
Cons: isolation, trouble motivating townspeople, homesickness
There was a lot of down time, but I really loved the community to which I was assigned. I met some wonderful people, and I was able to accomplish a few major projects. Peace Corps Costa Rica staff was fantastic, and I made some great friends among the other volunteers. I put a lot of emphasis on establishing personal relationships with Costa Ricans – more... (probably more so than specific projects), but I don't regret it. – less
An adventure
Rural Health Development and Education (Former Employee), Tata, MoroccoJune 11, 2012
Peace Corps uproots you and puts you in another country that needs your expertise. You learn their language, values, and culture and they learn yours. Overall, changing you from the inside out to become a better person and a better member of society.

It's impossible to write about your daily life because everyone's is drastically different. I had electricity – more... and water, a lot of other locations do not. – less
You get out what you put in.
Community Health Advisor (Current Employee), Chiradzulu, Chiradzulu, MalawiApril 22, 2012
The commercials call it the toughest job you'll ever love. This is a place to grow. Go in without expectations.

Get out with something

new.
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
Pros: great people, benefits and work environment
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Pros: unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons: application process is very long. low salary
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you – more... will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries. – less
HIV/AIDS Community Health Specialist
National Peace Corps Camp Director (Former Employee), Kara, Togo, West AfricaApril 9, 2014
Pros: changing the world
Cons: illness
I lived in rural West Africa for two years with no running water or electricity in heat ranging from 95F-115F. I contracted malaria five times as well as several other diseases.

I loved it. It was an incredibly life altering experience and I found out what I was made of. Nothing has ever pushed me to grow as a person more. The people you encounter – more... and the lives that they lead puts the entire world into perspective and you begin to see everything differently.

I managed nation wide projects involving over 15 other non-profit organizations, I acted as an advisor to the executive director of a HIV/AIDS clinic in Togo. I wrote grants, I evaluated programs, I mitigated conflicts, and taught professional development seminars on a weekly basis to a staff of thirty (in a mix of French and local language).

Peace Corps made me the person I am today. The volunteers I trained with and shared my service with are the closest thing I have to a real family. – less
Interesting and cultural work experience
Intern (Former Employee), Ouagadougou, Burkina FasoMarch 12, 2013
During my internship at Peace Corps in Burkina Faso. I was able to assist with events for current and future volunteers. I got to join my superiors in trips to villages where volunteers are placed to see how they work. Thanks to the internship I was able to learn exactly what the peace corps does in third world countries and made me want to later work – more... in the UN – less
productive
Language and Cross cultural facilitator (Former Employee), PretoriaJune 17, 2012
Pros: visiting different provinces
Cons: long hours
Working for Peace Corps was a great learning experience, which had alot of challenges and demanded extended hours.What I found most difficult was working till 12am and having to report for work at 7am the follwing day but it taught me alot as an individual.
Viel Eigeninitiative und Kreativitaet erforderlich
Health Extensions Volunteer (Current Employee), CameroonMay 12, 2013
Pros: interessanter arbeitsort, kontakt mit motivierten menschen.
Cons: entwicklungshilfe funktioniert nicht.
Peace Corps unterliegt der Amerikanischen Regierung; die notwendige Buerokratie einer so grossen Organisation ist oft hinderlich wenn es um Basis-Entwicklungshilfe geht.

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more