Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employee Reviews

High school wood shop instructor
High School Industrial Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Antigua, Eastern CaribbeanDecember 1, 2012
Pros: learned a great deal about a different culture.
Spent 4 yrs, traveled during the summer, learned a great about the different culture. Enjoyed teaching wood working. It was challenging and yet rewarding.
Director of Public Affairs at the Peace Corps
Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: seniority.
Cons: infighting.
I was in a position, as a political appointee, to supervise 41 employees who were "inherited" by an interagency merger with another organization. The Director of the Peace Corps counted on me for all media inquiries in this sensitive time, and I had a full secret service status to receive cables from overseas about volunteers and international agencies. Constituent services for the Director and Deputy Director were at a premium while the agency went through budget battles and faced extinction from the far right on Capitol Hill. The President gave the agency 100% support and we were able to continue our work with more effectiveness than ever.
I was in a postiion of seniority so I learned a great deal about management. The hardest part was infighting among staff. The best part was fulfillment for having my ideas respected and implemented.
The toughest job you'll ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eastern Caroline IslandsOctober 1, 2012
Pros: adventure and sense of accomplishment
Cons: difficulty relating to local men because of their attitudes toward women
The training was very thorough, so several months were spent both in country and in the United States, learning cultural values and how to adjust to life in a developing country and language. These days were in classrooms and in small seminars and on field trips.

The management was good except when it came to training in country where it was sometimes difficult for local trainers to behave appropriately toward American women.

Co-workers were good people.

The hardest part was dealing with the boredom and sense of alienation, of not being able to make a plan for your future at home that you could work on where you were.

The most enjoyable part was traveling around the countryside with your local family and your fellow volunteers. Also talking one on one with locals and doing things with them was wonderful.
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Pros: everything included
Cons: you need to know how to budget
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
Hardest Job you'll ever love
Environmental Educator and Community Developer (Former Employee), MoroccoJuly 8, 2012
The experience is what you make it! Being a Volunteer in Morocco was amazing and couldn't of asked for more from my Peace Corps experience.
An adventure
Rural Health Development and Education (Former Employee), Tata, MoroccoJune 11, 2012
Peace Corps uproots you and puts you in another country that needs your expertise. You learn their language, values, and culture and they learn yours. Overall, changing you from the inside out to become a better person and a better member of society.

It's impossible to write about your daily life because everyone's is drastically different. I had electricity and water, a lot of other locations do not.
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
Pros: great people, benefits and work environment
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.
a unique experience that differs for everyone.
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), Central AsiaFebruary 22, 2012
Pros: unique amazing experience you'll cherish for life, lots of support from peace corp.
Cons: application process is very long. low salary
Peace Corps is a very unique work and living experience unlike any other. It is up to the individual to determine what kind of service they will have and how deep they will immerse themselves in the culture and their work. What's great about Peace Corps as a company (or govt agency) is that they will give you all the tools, training and support you will need for you to succeed in your assigned community. It's like being your own business owner with a big support group behind you. You'll also witness first-hand how international aid and development works. If you are curious to find out how you perform in extreme conditions in a very foreign land, then this is it. It's unlike any job in the world. Afterward, I have found many employers to highly value my experience. It also really helped me in working abroad in other countries.
Industry