Peace Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Very demanding but productive work place.
Associate Director/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Belize, Central AmericaSeptember 15, 2013
On a daily basis, the job required you to check emails, text messages and phone messages to ensure all Peace Corps Volunteers were doing well, or someone needed immediate support. There were contact calls to be made either to Volunteers or to host agency personnel to ensure all was well. Meetings took up a third of the day or visits to Volunteers' assignment site for meetings with their counterparts or to check or to provide support, advice or counseling.

Most Volunteers' sites meant at least a couple hours drive either way and at times to very remote communities. The hardest part of the job was having to brainstorm very difficult problems which had cultural implications. The most enjoyable was getting to a Volunteer site and seeing the great work they and their counterparts were engaged in.
The Peace Corps sends you to places that need your help.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ouesse, Benin, West AfricaFebruary 15, 2014
I helped people who needed help by teaching. I taught for about 7 hours on a regular day. I learned how to teach my students in a way that they would understand while using my skills as an event planner in college to plan activities. My previous experiences in many countries have taught me that patience and understanding create a great work environment. I feel that I will be a good co-worker in the job I will fill. I think the hardest part of my job is sorting through the million post-its I write per day. My favorite part of any job is getting to know different people and understanding how different parts of our city/state/country/world work.
Pros
the appreciation and love of others
Cons
the weather and insects
Fun and relaxing
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Cameroon, Central AfricaMarch 13, 2015
My daily activities here consisted of walking the entire property to ensure all security protocol were in place. Following, I checked all equipment and supplies inventory and made necessary adjustments.
I always took time to talk to all house guess and ensure of their concerns if any were addressed.
The toughest job you'll ever love
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  PanamaMay 4, 2014
I lived and worked in an indigenous village without electricity in rural Panama for two years. My primary project was teaching English but much of my work involved working with locals to find and address their pressing needs. With this, I was able to write a grant and help fund a solar panel project, work to improve cook stoves, youth development, gardening, among other projects. The Peace Corps is not so much a job as an experience where you are daily challenged and pushed to do your best and to look back and see the difference that you made in others' lives.
Cultural Experience of a Lifetime
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ghana, West AfricaJune 25, 2014
The Peace Corps was really the toughest job that I have ever loved. It was a wonderful experience. My job consisted of cultural exchange. Teaching at schools and community meetings about health and hygeine practices.

I learned new languages and many other skills related to being in a foreign country.

My fellow volunteers were great and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was the intense heat and humidity of living in a West African Country.

I enjoyed every part of the job.
Pros
the experience of a lifetime
Cons
heat, humidity, and mosquitos
You learn and grow.
TEFLE Trainer, Teacher Trainer (Current Employee) –  JIang YOu ChinaMarch 11, 2013
I love being a volunteer in China. The Peace corps is great to the volunteers. They are always available to us.
Pros
training and free language instruction
Cons
volunteer salary.
Truly a life-long achievement.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mampong, Ghana, West AfricaJuly 29, 2014
The Peace Corps gave me the tools to succeed at an international level. I have grown so much through the opportunity that the Peace Corps has given me. My skills in communications were realized and my talents were able to be used with remarkable results on the host country nationals. I will always remember the lives that I have touched and the people of Africa that have supported me and gave me support on my future going forward.
Challenging and rewarding life experience and skill development
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  PanamaMarch 24, 2014
My job as a Teaching English Volunteer consisted of working alongside teachers from K-12, holding seminars and workshops to develop new methods and skills. Additionally, I created an After-School Program to improve students study skills, motivate them to do well in school, develop life skills, and design personal goals.

I learned many things during my two year service, but the most important is that there is always someone who can benefit from your support and help, but you will always come out of the experience having learned more than you imagined about yourself and about the world.

As a volunteer, I got the opportunity to be my own boss and create my own schedule. I divided my time between two different local schools and focused on teachers that were dedicated to self improvement and had a true educator's passion. These educators were in turn, my co-workers. We were able to collaborate effectively and work well as a team. In certain situations, I would join forces with other nearby volunteers to collaborate on large projects.

The hardest part of my job was a lack of motivation on the part of my school. Education in my site was undervalued, therefore motivation was an issue for the teachers, as well as my students. My task was to motivate and empower teachers and students so they would gain the confidence to work harder. This was also the most enjoyable part of my job because I could see the progress and the self-realization of my community counterparts.
hardest job you will ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Concepcion, ParaguayOctober 14, 2014
Best experience of my life. Challenging but incredibly rewarding.
Pros
personally rewarding; learn foreign language; experience life
Great cause, not so great delegation
Press Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
As an intern I do not believe I was given enough responsibilities. We were promised projects that never came. My boss was a lovely person, but there was just not enough work to go around to three interns.
Pros
fun people, cool events
Cons
not given responsibility
toughest job you'll ever love
Ecotourism & Development Leader (Former Employee) –  San Andrés Xecul, GuatemalaAugust 5, 2013
There is no typical work day. You will be taken out of your element in every way and forced to use your own creativity and drive to make whatever projects you're interested in happen. All in another language! I loved all of my fellow volunteers and know that I have made friends for life.
Fantastic travel and work and unforgettable experiences.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  World WideMarch 15, 2013
If you want to travel and live in a foreign country, the Peace Corps is a good way to go. Democrats and Republicans always support it, as it really one of the best programs the government runs.
Pros
travel, good network of poeple when you are done, wonderful life experiences in country.
Cons
mentally taxing, and you can feel isolated.
Micro-Credit Project in Africa
Community Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cidade Velha, Cape VerdeFebruary 27, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of my work was making a visible difference in people's lives. I learned what it takes to lead and manage a project in another country. I worked independently and within a team. The most rewarding work was to implement innovative techniques to sow the seeds for institutional change in Cape Verde.
The toughest job you'll ever love.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MacedoniaSeptember 24, 2013
Your alone a lot. The people you were assigned to work with don't always want you. Nobody is managing you so your daily motivation has to come from yourself. The only people that are consistently reliable are other volunteers, but they don't always live near you. Yet somehow you make it happen. You make it work.
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
Pros
everything included
Cons
you need to know how to budget
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  abroadDecember 29, 2014
it was a good time. i learned a lot. I had my ups and downs. I definitely recommend it.
A Tough, Good Cause
Volunteer University ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dazhou City, ChinaFebruary 1, 2014
Classes in a variety of English-related subjects at the University Level. The most rewarding aspect was working closely with students and feeling truly useful and helpful to them. The main challenge was the physical and cultural isolation of the site.
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly
  more... fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day.
Pros
great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons
my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
Community Development is needed everywhere
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Pedro de PoasOctober 27, 2014
It was a pleasure serving for two years.

Changing the economy of a business is very empowering.
Great experience
Food Securirty Extension Agent (Former Employee) –  TogoOctober 15, 2014
Everyone who wants to travel and do true good in the world, Peace Corps is the way.

4.6