Peace Corps

Peace Corps Employer Reviews

Hardest job you will ever love
Trainer (Former Employee), Savalou, BeninJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: flexibility, rewarding work, make your own agenda
Cons: administrative logistics and bureaucratics
The work is rewarding when you are committed to integrate in your community.
Wonderful Experience
Small Business Consultant (Former Employee), Togo, West AfricaJanuary 14, 2013
Can be a little overwhelming on your own and the level of support by administration will vary by country, but overall a worthwhile experience and great opportunity for self growth.
Amazing life experience
Renewable Energy Specialist (Former Employee), VanuatuJanuary 4, 2013
PRO: Great program for those who do not mind working with host country nationals 24/7.

CON: Not for those who want to be social and network with other organizations.
High school wood shop instructor
High School Industrial Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Antigua, Eastern CaribbeanDecember 1, 2012
Pros: learned a great deal about a different culture.
Spent 4 yrs, traveled during the summer, learned a great about the different culture. Enjoyed teaching wood working. It was challenging and yet rewarding.
Best learning expereince
Community Economic Development Agent (Former Employee), SenegalNovember 25, 2012
Pros: no other chance like this
Cons: 2 years away from family, friends
I learned more in these 2 years than I probably will, ever again, in my life. You are given the opportunity to work in many different areas, and usually spear head quite a few projects.
Community Development Consulting Volunteer
Community Development Consultant (Former Employee), MoldovaOctober 15, 2012
I served for two years and accomplished a lot which is best summarized in my resume.
Director of Public Affairs at the Peace Corps
Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: seniority.
Cons: infighting.
I was in a position, as a political appointee, to supervise 41 employees who were "inherited" by an interagency merger with another organization. The Director of the Peace Corps counted on me for all media inquiries in this sensitive time, and I had a full secret service status to receive cables from overseas about volunteers and international agencies. – more... Constituent services for the Director and Deputy Director were at a premium while the agency went through budget battles and faced extinction from the far right on Capitol Hill. The President gave the agency 100% support and we were able to continue our work with more effectiveness than ever.
I was in a postiion of seniority so I learned a great deal about management. The hardest part was infighting among staff. The best part was fulfillment for having my ideas respected and implemented. – less
Great balanced work environment
Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee), León, GUAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: balance among health, education, work, and play...
Cons: has some burecratic implications
Great Life experience... Learning and observing and living in another culture is a critical part of a balanced life...
The toughest job you'll ever love
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eastern Caroline IslandsOctober 1, 2012
Pros: adventure and sense of accomplishment
Cons: difficulty relating to local men because of their attitudes toward women
The training was very thorough, so several months were spent both in country and in the United States, learning cultural values and how to adjust to life in a developing country and language. These days were in classrooms and in small seminars and on field trips.

The management was good except when it came to training in country where it was sometimes – more... difficult for local trainers to behave appropriately toward American women.

Co-workers were good people.

The hardest part was dealing with the boredom and sense of alienation, of not being able to make a plan for your future at home that you could work on where you were.

The most enjoyable part was traveling around the countryside with your local family and your fellow volunteers. Also talking one on one with locals and doing things with them was wonderful. – less
Exciting Volunteer overseas in Benin, Africa
Volunteer in Benin (Former Employee), Cotonou, Benin, West AfricaSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: the people, the culture, the experience
Cons: quality of life, sickness
I lived in Benin, West Africa for 2 months for the purposes of developing a connection with the local people while learning the culture myself. My department, specifically, was Environmental Action, which allowed me to learn certain agricultural and water conservation techniques. But the greatest quality I received from that experience was the ability – more... to be self-motivated and to learn quickly. Being Intermediate in French also helps too. I did have to return early to the United States because of a medical issue. – less
Peace Corps, the toughest job you will ever love.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee), UkraineAugust 22, 2012
Peace Corps allows people to find confidence they never knew they had. This organization, which just marked it's 50th anniversary, is a valuable asset for international security and relations. I firmly believe in this organization and it's volunteers, and the positive impact it has on its host countries of service. It builds relationships overseas, – more... encourages partnership in a variety of sectors, and promotes peace and friendship throughout the world.
This experience has made me more aware of what I am capable of. Peace Corps is the ultimate volunteer experience. It tests your limits and pushes you to be something greater than yourself. Extending beyond the call of duty and establishing relationships that will bring about a new way of seeing people and the world. – less
Life changing experience.
Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), Haisyn, UkraineAugust 11, 2012
An interesting and challenging experience. I wish not to review this experience.
Toughest job you'll ever love!
Community and Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee), MoroccoAugust 7, 2012
Pros: everything included
Cons: you need to know how to budget
Some day you will love it, some days you will hate it, but it was an awesome experience. You need to remember that your bosses will be host country nationals and that can create several communication issues.
The most challenging job I have ever loved.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chaiyaphum, ThailandJuly 28, 2012
Everyday was different, never routine. I learned project management, community development, among many other lessons. My co-workers included fellow villagers, town hall officials, volunteers, and government officials. The hardest part of the job was being sick, and the best part of the job was making friendships.
Productive and fun work place
Peace Corp Adjuant (Former Employee), ILE IFE,OSUN STATE,NIGERIAJuly 20, 2012
Great organisation to work for, learnt alot from this company,and help alot of people in the community
Hardest Job you'll ever love
Environmental Educator and Community Developer (Former Employee), MoroccoJuly 8, 2012
The experience is what you make it! Being a Volunteer in Morocco was amazing and couldn't of asked for more from my Peace Corps experience.
Peace Corps Costa Rica
Rural Community Development Facilitator (Former Employee), Costa RicaJune 11, 2012
Pros: got to know a foreign culture, learned spanish, met incredible people.
Cons: isolation, trouble motivating townspeople, homesickness
There was a lot of down time, but I really loved the community to which I was assigned. I met some wonderful people, and I was able to accomplish a few major projects. Peace Corps Costa Rica staff was fantastic, and I made some great friends among the other volunteers. I put a lot of emphasis on establishing personal relationships with Costa Ricans – more... (probably more so than specific projects), but I don't regret it. – less
An adventure
Rural Health Development and Education (Former Employee), Tata, MoroccoJune 11, 2012
Peace Corps uproots you and puts you in another country that needs your expertise. You learn their language, values, and culture and they learn yours. Overall, changing you from the inside out to become a better person and a better member of society.

It's impossible to write about your daily life because everyone's is drastically different. I had electricity – more... and water, a lot of other locations do not. – less
You get out what you put in.
Community Health Advisor (Current Employee), Chiradzulu, Chiradzulu, MalawiApril 22, 2012
The commercials call it the toughest job you'll ever love. This is a place to grow. Go in without expectations.

Get out with something

new.
Challenging, fun, diverse place to work with great people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2012
Pros: great people, benefits and work environment
The Peace Corps is a great place to work because it gives you the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life and learn so much about the world. The Peace Corps has an exciting and challenging workplace and is a constantly changing environment. It is one of the best jobs I've had.

About Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government. The stated mission of the Peace Corps includes three – Read more