Peace Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Great experience
Food Securirty Extension Agent (Former Employee) –  TogoOctober 15, 2014
Everyone who wants to travel and do true good in the world, Peace Corps is the way.
An experience that I encourage everyone to try.
TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Republic of GeorgiaApril 23, 2013
My typical day included teaching English to rural children, working with local social organizations, interacting with people in the community, and going through language training.
Excellent Experience
Community Economic Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicAugust 13, 2014
In the Peace Corps, you can be the change that you want to see in the world.
Community Health Advisor
Community Health Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Ghana West AfricaSeptember 14, 2014
I mobilized communities to carry out community health assessment in water, sanitation and malaria.
Volunteering
Community and Organizational Development Adviser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2013
Great adventure , but hard work. Work is very rewarding. It is volunteer work, so not much pay.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
out ofus for 2 years
Intern
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2013
Working at Peace Corps headquater office in DC is a great expereince, and I have also learned how to work with staff.
The most rewarding and challenging experience of my life.
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMay 30, 2013
It was well worth the hardships to learn about myself and to help others.
Great experience
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Central AmericaApril 15, 2013
Working with villagers for immunizations andd health care
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
poverty of country
Dynamic atmosphere encouraging self-starters to accomplish their most in two years
Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Agallpampa, La Libertad, PeruOctober 13, 2013
My days really haven't been typical during my Peace Corps service. Every day I wake up at 6 in the morning with the roosters, cook my breakfast before leaving the house in order to do various activities. Depending on the day I could be teaching an English or sexual education class at the school; teaching educative sessions on nutrition or childhood stimulation; preparing or planting a field by hand; discussing the possible sicknesses that someone's animals could have or performing surveys to determine the amount of knowledge which the people in project have obtained during my sessions.

I have learned that patience and perseverance are very important when dealing with another culture and with municipalities. Whether I am waiting over a half hour for the beneficiaries to show up for a meeting or trying to obtain money for the nutrition project both of these characteristics seem to be necessary to have.

I loved working for my bosses. They were both helpful when it came to me asking for various materials as well as pleasant when asking for a correction or such for one of my reports.

My coworkers for the past two years have mainly been Peruvians. Overall I have had both good and bad experiences with them. Many times they will forget to mention when a holiday of some sort prevents work from happening or will okay a meeting time only to forget about it and not show up. Even though there are downsides my interactions with these caring people have been amazing overall.

The hardest part of the job was learning the language. I went from two basic semesters of Spanish to speaking fairly
  more... fluently toward the end of my two years.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to work with the little kids in my site. The kids are always so enthusiastic to create crafts, learn English, or play games with me and always brighten my day.
Pros
great medical care, opportunity to see another culture and learn another language
Cons
my health was not always the best, lack of water availability, distance from family and friends
A day in the life for a Peace Corps Volunteer
Community Health Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicMarch 11, 2014
As a Volunteer you are on the job 24/7. You live in the community you are serving and also work within that community. I had several classes going and a few extra curricular programs running in my community. Early in the day, I would have a "Brilliant Girls" group, where we would showcase talents, engage in discussions about healthy decision making, draw, color, and have a good time. Then I would have my Women's Healthy Homes group. In this class we discussed everything from nutrition to pap smears; from methods to purify water to sexually transmitted disease. I also ran a weight loss group with these women. Then I would have my youth group meeting. I taught high schoolers' about sexual education, healthy decision making, and other related topics. Each lesson had a formal outline, but we were encouraged to change our teaching hab its to those that would best benefit those attending the classes. Each class lasted from 1-2 hours, and it took about 8 hours of work for each lesson plan. Since we did not have electricity, I would draw out the plans by hand.I also lead kids on river trips to discuss how we can keep our rivers clean and safe to swim in.

I learned so much that it is hard to just pinpoint one part. I learned patience is key to the process, and I carry that with that with me today. I also learned several different teaching methods/styles. I was self managed while out in the field, but monthly reports were given to my supervisor, as well as visits from him and other higher ranking volunteers during my sessions.

My Peace Corps Co-Workers were amazing and inspiring. My
  more... Dominican Co-Workers were dedicated to the betterment of the village.
At times it would be difficult to settle down a group of adults/teens/children; however, from my previous teaching experience, including my TEFL courses, I have learned methods that are fun and non-intrusive to bring the group back to attention.

I love my job because I worked with a variety of age groups. I could se genuine interest and progress with my students.